Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Indianapolis Colts Off Season
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: 2014 Indianapolis Colts Off Season Reply with quote

Figured it'd be a good time to get a thread with all the off season info for ease of access as the off season moves forward and a place to discuss those and other possible moves. I will try to update this as much as possible. Let me know if you'd like to see any other info on here and I'll add it.

2014 Colts FA:

Offense:

RB Ahmad Bradshaw - UFA
RB Donald Brown - UFA

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey - UFA
WR Deon Branch - UFA

OT Jeff Linkenbach - UFA
OG Joel Reitz - RFA
G/C Mike McGlynn - UFA

Defense

S Antoine Bethea - UFA
CB Vontae Davis - UFA
CB Cassius Vaughn - UFA
CB Josh Gordy - RFA

ILB Pat Angerer - UFA
OLB Lawrence Sidbury - UFA
OLB Cam Johnson - ERFA
ILB Kavell Conner - RFA
LB Justin Hickman - ERFA

NT Aubrayo Franklin - UFA
DE Jeris Pendelton - RFA
DE Fili Moala - UFA
DE Ricardo Mathhews - RFA

Special Teams

P Pat McAfee - UFA
K Adam Vinitieri - UFA
ST Sergio Brown - UFA

According to Over the Cap we have about $34 Million going into the off season, but that number includes several in-season signings that could be cut if cash is needed, a half dozen futures contracts, and several players that will likely be PS players. So actual cap space will be closer to $40-$45 Million, I think.

NFL Draft

We've only got 5 total picks this year, though we may get a late compensatory for Donnie Avery (3 yr, $9 million with KC). (exact overall order not yet known with compensatory picks not yet awarded)

Round 1 (26) - Traded to Cleveland for Trent Richardson
Round 2 (59)
Round 3
Round 4 - Traded to Cleveland last year for 2013 5th rounder (Montori Hughes)
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I wouldn't resign unless it's a VERY favorable contract:

Bradshaw and Brown: One is injury prone and tries to play a heavy contact style when he should be playing like Brown, and Brown did well in a contract year. While Brown may have benefitted from better/correct usage, his pass protection is still poor (speaks volumes that Trent is out there instead of him) and will likely be overpaid by another team desperate for a multi-purpose back. I think Ballard and Richardson will be a good tandem that can punish defenses. Probably add an UDFA in here with a speed game.

Branch and DHB should be pretty clear cuts. You could make an argument for Branch but you won't sway me to keep him.

I can't really comment on the OL guys since a) I'm not that great of a talent judge for OL and b) they've kind of sucked the entire year so if I had to choose, I'd probably resign at near vet minimum for depth.

Defense-wise, I'm a 4-3 guy so I don't really know how to judge guys in a 3-4 as of yet so if someone else wants to evaluate that, I'd love to hear opinions and whether or not some of these non-obvious resigns should come back.

--

I think it's quite clear that Boomstick should be resigned, and probably Vinatieri though you can make a strong case that we can find another quality kicker at a lower price tag.

--

For FA, who should we look at? There are a lot of quality guys at WR that we could pick up, though I'm not sure about the price tag (e.g. Decker could be a nice #2 complement with sure hands/size if the price tag isn't high and Denver lets him go, though highly doubtful).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coltsmanic808 wrote:
Guys I wouldn't resign unless it's a VERY favorable contract:

Bradshaw and Brown: One is injury prone and tries to play a heavy contact style when he should be playing like Brown, and Brown did well in a contract year. While Brown may have benefitted from better/correct usage, his pass protection is still poor (speaks volumes that Trent is out there instead of him) and will likely be overpaid by another team desperate for a multi-purpose back. I think Ballard and Richardson will be a good tandem that can punish defenses. Probably add an UDFA in here with a speed game.

Branch and DHB should be pretty clear cuts. You could make an argument for Branch but you won't sway me to keep him.

I can't really comment on the OL guys since a) I'm not that great of a talent judge for OL and b) they've kind of sucked the entire year so if I had to choose, I'd probably resign at near vet minimum for depth.

Defense-wise, I'm a 4-3 guy so I don't really know how to judge guys in a 3-4 as of yet so if someone else wants to evaluate that, I'd love to hear opinions and whether or not some of these non-obvious resigns should come back.

--

I think it's quite clear that Boomstick should be resigned, and probably Vinatieri though you can make a strong case that we can find another quality kicker at a lower price tag.

--

For FA, who should we look at? There are a lot of quality guys at WR that we could pick up, though I'm not sure about the price tag (e.g. Decker could be a nice #2 complement with sure hands/size if the price tag isn't high and Denver lets him go, though highly doubtful).

Whether Decker hits the FA market or stays in Denver, I think he gets a hefty contract. I see something in the Dwayne Bowe range easily. 5-6 years and $60-$70 million.

And I think we definitely need to keep the Boomstick. He's a huge part of the team and a great punter and Kick off guy too. He'd probably want about $3-3.5 Million per year, which is fair market value for his ability. He's even said he doesn't want to be the #1 paid punter or anything, but just wants something where he doesn't feel disrespected. Pay the man.
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about Decker but he was the first name to pop into my head.

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players I would resign,
Reitz - he's a RFA so we can lowball him plus he could be our backup on the left side of the line (LT and LG)
Linkenbach - vet min offer and same as Reitz but RG and RT

Josh Gordy - RFA and has played well this year despite getting beat on a couple plays
Vontae Davis - Next to Boomstick he is my #2 priority resign
Antoine Bethea - If he doesn't sign elsewhere and we can resign him to a cap friendly deal then I'm all for it.
Cam JOhnson, Kavell Connor and Justin Hickman - can't go wrong with restricted free agent depth. (though I wonder how Connor is an RFA and Angerer is a UFA when they're from the same draft class and neither spent any time on the practice squad)

I omitted Pat Angerer because I think that he is better suited for a 4-3 team, he played well when healthy but he is just a better fit in the 4-3

and I didn't suggest any DL because I think we need to move on from those guys.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Most cost effective moves the Indianapolis Colts should make

1. Resign Donald Brown
2. Don't resign Antoine Bethea
3. Resign G Joe Reitz
4. Cut LaVon Brazill
5. Cut QB Matt Hasselback

I agree with 3, partially disagree with 2 but agree with the reasoning, and disagree with the rest.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Colton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:

1. Resign Donald Brown
3. Resign G Joe Reitz
4. Cut LaVon Brazill

I agree with 3, partially disagree with 2 but agree with the reasoning, and disagree with the rest.

Ya, this list is just bad. Still amazes sometimes what constitutes as a "featured columnist" on bleacher report and yahoo these days.

1. Brown is going to demand more money than he's worth I bet. If we can get him for $1 million a year, I think it's worth considering.

2. Tweez will probably won't be that expensive. He hasn't made a pro-bowl in 5 years, so his demand shouldn't be too high (could be higher if he hits the open market though).

3. Only one I agree with

4. This one just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Brazill will only make $550k next year, so how exactly is that a cost effective move? Cutting Samson Satele (would save $4 million), if we were to cut anyone that is, would be more cost effective...

5. Ya, let's just cut the solid veteran backup and have nobody behind our franchise QB. That totally worked out for us before....
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colton wrote:
stallyns wrote:

1. Resign Donald Brown
3. Resign G Joe Reitz
4. Cut LaVon Brazill

Ya, this list is just bad. Still amazes sometimes what constitutes as a "featured columnist" on bleacher report and yahoo these days.

1. Brown is going to demand more money than he's worth I bet. If we can get him for $1 million a year, I think it's worth considering.

2. Tweez will probably won't be that expensive. He hasn't made a pro-bowl in 5 years, so his demand shouldn't be too high (could be higher if he hits the open market though).

3. Only one I agree with

4. This one just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Brazill will only make $550k next year, so how exactly is that a cost effective move? Cutting Samson Satele (would save $4 million), if we were to cut anyone that is, would be more cost effective...

5. Ya, let's just cut the solid veteran backup and have nobody behind our franchise QB. That totally worked out for us before....

If we cut Hasselbeck, I will demand we bring back Dan Orlovsky Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple potential FAs I would like to look at:

Brian de la Peunta from the Saints. He is a very consistent Center who could easily be a cap casualty with the Saints. This is assuming that CLE keeps Alex Mack.

Terrence Cody interests me as NT. Could be pretty cheap and is familiar with the system. Never got a chance to fully prove himself because he was behind Ngata. I think he could be solid.

McAfee needs to be brought back. Too much value on and off the field. I love Vinatieri but think we could get a cheaper option. Vontae Davis needs to be back. I'd like Bethea if he comes fairly cheap. Reitz on the cheap as well. Other than those I am pretty ambivalent as to what happens with our other free agents.

Sig by Mike Matt 2011

Colts and Razorback Fan for life.
ColtsFan40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2014 Indianapolis Colts Off Season Reply with quote

Here is my take on what we should do. I added a few FA targets. I tried to be reasonable and not have us targeting the best player at several positions.

Colton wrote:

2014 Colts FA:

Offense:

RB Ahmad Bradshaw - UFA
I would let him walk. Good RB but not worth the injury risk.
RB Donald Brown - UFA
I would let him walk. I could see him getting a deal similar to that of Shonn Greene (3yrs/$10m with $4.15 guaranteed). Also scared off by the fact that his best year came in his contract year.

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey - UFA
Let him walk. Not worth bringing back.
WR Deon Branch - UFA
Let him walk.

OT Jeff Linkenbach - UFA
Worth bringing back at league minimum. But could see us moving onto a younger player.
OG Joel Reitz - RFA
Not sure what to do with him. He is a good back up but not sure he is worth $1.33M (which was the price of the original round tender last year).
G/C Mike McGlynn - UFA
Would let him walk. He was decent at center but absolutely horrible at guard. Not worth bringing back in my opinion.

Defense

S Antoine Bethea - UFA
I would bring back at the right deal. I would be ok with something similar to the deal sign by Ryan Clark in 2010 (4yr/14M). I also would look to get all of the guaranteed money out of the way in year 1 and 2 so we could get out of the deal in year 3 without a big hit. My preferred option would be to bring back on a 1yr deal and draft his replacement.
CB Vontae Davis - UFA
Must bring back. He has really started to develop and is still young. Hopefully a deal in the area of 6yrs/40M. That would come in at approx 6.5m yearly average which would put him in the top 10 paid CBs.
CB Cassius Vaughn - UFA
I would let him walk. Should be able to find equal talent in free agency or the draft.
CB Josh Gordy - RFA
I would bring him back. I think he is worth the original round tender.

ILB Pat Angerer - UFA
I would let him walk. Better fit for the 4-3 than the 3-4
OLB Lawrence Sidbury - UFA
I could see us bringing him back on the league minimum but my money is we let him walk.
OLB Cam Johnson - ERFA
Wouldn't cost much to bring him back. Still a decent prospect.
ILB Kavell Conner - RFA
I would bring him back but Im not sure management feels the same way.
LB Justin Hickman - ERFA
I would let him walk.

NT Aubrayo Franklin - UFA
I would bring back if we cannot find a better replacement.
DE Jeris Pendelton - RFA
I would let him walk.
DE Fili Moala - UFA
I would let him walk.
DE Ricardo Mathhews - RFA
Worth bringing back for depth at the original round tender.

Special Teams

P Pat McAfee - UFA
Must resign! Im thinking something similar to Koenen of Tampa (6yrs/19.5m, 3.25m yearly average).
K Adam Vinitieri - UFA
Would have back as long as he wants back. I would look at doing a year to year deal.
ST Sergio Brown - UFA
I would bring back at league minimum

NFL Draft

Round 2 (59)ED REYNOLDS, FS, STANFORD
Round 3 JUSTIN ELLIS, NT, LOUISIANA TECH
Round 5 MAX BULLOUGH, ILB, MICHIGAN ST
Round 6 AARON COLVIN, CB, OKLAHOMA
Round 7 SPENCER LONG, OG, NEBRASKA

Free Agent Targets

C- EVAN DIETRICH-SMITH
Started all 16 games this year. Would be a nice upgrade to Satele.
T- RYAN HARRIS
Solid backup with starting experience.
WR- JULIAN EDELMAN
He would give us a very reliable WR to go with Wayne and Hilton. Would also give us a returner. I was thinking 4yrs/16m, very close to the contract signed by Malcom Floyd.

DE- ZIGGY HOOD
Would be a good rotational player with RJF. I would prefer Lamarr Houston but I don't see us paying pretty big money to 3 DEs.
OLB- O'BRIEN SCHOFIELD
Would give us a LB off the bench that can get to the QB. Shouldn't cost too much.
CB- TRACY PORTER
Porter had a solid year in Oakland and would give us another corner that is capable of starting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Indianapolis Colts Off Season Reply with quote

Assuming we bring back the players we've identified as key FAs, like McAfee and Davis, how would you all rank our team needs?

My list looks like this:

1. Interior O-line
2. Nose Tackle -
3. ILB
4. S - This moves higher if we don't re-sign Bethea. I think we're stuck with Landry for now.
5. DE
6. CB - Jumps up to #1 if we don't re-sign Davis
7. RB -

How I'd like our draft to go (Im assuming we re-sign Bethea)

Round 2 (59) - Daquan Jones, NT, Penn State or Gabe Jackson, OG Miss. St.
Round 3 - David Yankey, C Stanford or NT Justin Ellis, La. Tech.
Round 5 - Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan St.
Round 6 - Ed Stinson, DE Alabama
Round 7 - Tim Cornett, RB UNLV (pure homer pick, but do like him as a RB prospect)

Really wish we had a full set of draft picks this year. Such a deep draft all around.
ColtsFan40

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I would rank our team needs:

1. Safety
I think we need to draft a replacement for Bethea (even if we bring him back on a 1yr deal). A FS that excels in coverage would be best because it would allow Landry to play close to the line.

2. Center
We really need to replace Satele. I think we have our starters at guard (as long as Thomas comes back healthy). We just need someone to anchor the middle of our line.

3. Nose Tackle
Our run defense is still very weak up the middle and we are not getting much push up the middle in passing situations.

4. Inside Linebacker
We need to find a player that is a force in the run game and is a sure tackler.

5. Cornerback
We need someone that is capable of stepping in and starting in case Toler has another injury pledged season.

6. Wide Reciever
We could use a WR to groom as Wayne's replacement.

7. Returner
We need a dynamic returner that can handle kick and punt returns.

8. Guard
We need to improve our depth.

9. Offensive Tackle

10. Defensive End

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a wide reciever as well as a running back so split carries with Richardson. Also a backup QB to spell Luck and replace Hasselbeck.
Colton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
We need a wide reciever as well as a running back so split carries with Richardson. Also a backup QB to spell Luck and replace Hasselbeck.

Vick Ballard will be back and, assuming he's fully healthy, will likely be the starter.

What do you mean spell Luck and replace Hasselback? Cutting Matt would only save us $2 million, and it's not like we're strapped for cash with over $35 million in space going into the offseason.
ColtsFan40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see us taking a WR in the 2nd or 3rd rounds unless a major talent falls ( someone like Lee from USC). As for running back I could see us using a later round pick on someone like Thomas from Oregon. Someone who is a change of pace from what we already have and someone that can return kicks. I don't see us drafting a QB. I can see us hitting the UDFA market for someone to be on the PS. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Harnish isn't eligible for the PS this coming year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: