Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So where do we go from now......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
clarkfn2284


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3221
Location: Modesto,CA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rejuvenation wrote:
I think our window is only closing in terms of the overwhelming advantage we have over the rest of the league. Our team is stacked in many ways and the ability to be a top 2 NFC team like we have been the last 3 years might drop off with retirements and cap casualties.

I'm frustrated mainly because I really wanted to win rings with guys we had like Rogers, Goldson, Gore, and Smith etc because I really liked them personally. But altogether I think as long as we have the Harbaugh/Baalke pairing and coaches like Tomsula and Fangio we are still going to be in good position to get our next Lombardi.

I'm just hoping the rest of the NFC doesn't catch up with us because we give Kaep a 20 million per year contract that waters down the overall talent we have.


All of the playoff teams from this season face the same challenges. Carolina has an extension for Cam awaiting. GB has to deal with Rodgers huge deal, NO has Brees on the back end with a big deal, Seattle will have to pay Russ, the Eagles will eventually have to pay Foles aswell. Its the lay of the land. If you draft young talent you can replace the retiring guys or be allowed the ability to cut the likes of a Gore who is making money that may be better suited in other areas.

The better you draft the more shrewd you can be. If Lattimore comes in next season and looks like he did in college you can believe Gore is a goner. 6.5 million on that cap for a back who is one of the best ever, but doesnt have break away speed or consistent big play ability....no way he gets to hang around. Now I woiuld love to see Gore play out the rest of his deal and if Lattimore steps up you have options.

I dont see the NFC catching up or the Niners coming back to the league. You will have some teams that hit on young stars that will build around those guys and they will rise, but the talent from top to bottom on Seattle and SF is uncanny. It will take a lot at this point for them to regress to the field. They will be contender for a very long time to come. They have a better staff then any of the teams that regresed this season and even when guys have gone down they have the ability to either hide the weakness and the void left open or fill it with the next man up(Wilhoite)
_________________
NextBigThing wrote:
rice wasn't close to do as good as his stats would lead one to assume


okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13366
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rejuvenation wrote:
I think our window is only closing in terms of the overwhelming advantage we have over the rest of the league.



It's just too unfortunate that overwhelming advantage was nullified by another team having the exact same advantages in Seattle. Great defense and excessively inexpensive QB. The good news is that they will suffer the same setbacks we'll do. The difference may end up in the hands of the GMs and how effectively they can manage their money. Baalrathe might ultimately win us a Superbowl.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
KEGster


Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 211
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning the NFC West needs to be a high priority again. We thought we could run the gauntlet with 3 straight road victories in the playoffs and we failed.

Unfortunately this means no room for error. Cannot play youngsters and high snap totals for aging players

To sum up my fears for the near future. Can Kaepernick significantly improve while the talent around him decreases because of less cap flexibility?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9465
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm upset but I'm ok with it.

Last year the script was Ray Lewis riding off into the sunset winning a ring. This year the script is Manning riding off into the sunset winning a ring having arguably the best season ever as a QB and securing his legacy in the NFL as the GOAT.

Next year's script will be us winning #6 in our own stadium, a feat that has never happened in the NFL. Seattle will have the SB loser's curse of a hangover and fall flat.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 23099
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I'm upset but I'm ok with it.

Last year the script was Ray Lewis riding off into the sunset winning a ring. This year the script is Manning riding off into the sunset winning a ring having arguably the best season ever as a QB and securing his legacy in the NFL as the GOAT.

Next year's script will be us winning #6 in our own stadium, a feat that has never happened in the NFL. Seattle will have the SB loser's curse of a hangover and fall flat.


We don't host the SB until 2015.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 3114
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
I'm upset but I'm ok with it.

Last year the script was Ray Lewis riding off into the sunset winning a ring. This year the script is Manning riding off into the sunset winning a ring having arguably the best season ever as a QB and securing his legacy in the NFL as the GOAT.

Next year's script will be us winning #6 in our own stadium, a feat that has never happened in the NFL. Seattle will have the SB loser's curse of a hangover and fall flat.


We don't host the SB until 2015.


But we'll gladly win #6 in SB "49" then repeat again in our stadium =)
_________________
"I've played in a Super Bowl, NFC championship, but before I leave, I want God to bless me and my teammates and get us a ring," Gore said."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9465
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
I'm upset but I'm ok with it.

Last year the script was Ray Lewis riding off into the sunset winning a ring. This year the script is Manning riding off into the sunset winning a ring having arguably the best season ever as a QB and securing his legacy in the NFL as the GOAT.

Next year's script will be us winning #6 in our own stadium, a feat that has never happened in the NFL. Seattle will have the SB loser's curse of a hangover and fall flat.


We don't host the SB until 2015.


But we'll gladly win #6 in SB "49" then repeat again in our stadium =)
My bad. I thought it was this year coming up. Where's it at next year then?

There's no way the Seahawks beat The Denver Mannings in this years SB. The fix is in already. The league didn't want us losing 2 years in a row in the SB to make room for 2 sure fire HOFs getting their hardware.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14413
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Our window is OPENING, not closing. Pats have gotten to the conference championship for the past 10 years it seems. Nobidy talks about windows closing wih The Hoody and Brady. All our key peices are locked up long term, except for Aldon and CK. And those who aren't are either are on the tail-end of their career(Gore) and have younger guys ready to replace them already waiting in the wings(Goodwin, Rogers).

We have one of the most dynamic QBs in the league, who should only improve going forward. One of the best coaches in the biz. One of the best GMs in the biz. A helluva football staff on every level. And 13 draft picks to play with yet again for a very loaded draft. Might not happen for Gore and Cowboy and that will be a real shame but we'll defintely be in the thick of things for the forseeable future.

Enough with this 'our window is closing' crap. One loss and the fanbase is in full panic mode. We're fine. Actually, we're more than fine...we're a lot better off than most.


The days of dynasties are long gone. The typical window for a group a guys that are assembled into a team is 3 or 4 years these days before the salary cap starts making teams lose key components, or not be able to fill them with quality free agents because they've paid their stars so much that they have no money left for others.

- Many here have long thought we wouldn't be able to afford both Willis and Bowman
- We might not be able to afford Crabs, we might want to afford Crabs, and I've always thought he would prefer to be elsewhere
- Kap hasn't won it all yet and if he doesn't improve it would take a hell of a cast around him to win it all
- Gore is on his last legs
- Justin is on his last legs
- We have huge contract issues in our defensive backfield.
- and there's too much more to list

I thought after Harbaugh's first year here that we had maybe a 3 or 4 year window with these guys to win it all. I still think that. There might be some big changes this very offseason. My preference would be to keep as many guys together as possible, add guys who can make an immediate impact and try to go all the way next year.

And nobody talks about the window closing on NE because they have a QB and a coach who are in the discussion for best QB and Coach in the history of the game. Those two components can go a long way to keeping you in the running. Kap is no Brady (hopefully it's correct to put "yet" on the end of that) and Harbaugh is no Bellichick, IMHO.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 23099
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
- We might not be able to afford Crabs, we might want to afford Crabs, and I've always thought he would prefer to be elsewhere


Why do a lot of people think Crabs wants out of SF? He seems pretty happy and has a great relationship with Kap, VD, and all the guys.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingnothing


Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 73
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I'm upset but I'm ok with it.

Last year the script was Ray Lewis riding off into the sunset winning a ring. This year the script is Manning riding off into the sunset winning a ring having arguably the best season ever as a QB and securing his legacy in the NFL as the GOAT.

Next year's script will be us winning #6 in our own stadium, a feat that has never happened in the NFL. Seattle will have the SB loser's curse of a hangover and fall flat.


I was wondering if anyone else received an advanced copy of the script. Surprised
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 27685
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
My bad. I thought it was this year coming up. Where's it at next year then?

There's no way the Seahawks beat The Denver Mannings in this years SB. The fix is in already. The league didn't want us losing 2 years in a row in the SB to make room for 2 sure fire HOFs getting their hardware.


Oh here we go, the fix is in? Please, if we convert at the end of the Super Bowl, Lewis doesn't walk into the sunset with a ring.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 423
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
Our window is OPENING, not closing. Pats have gotten to the conference championship for the past 10 years it seems. Nobidy talks about windows closing wih The Hoody and Brady. All our key peices are locked up long term, except for Aldon and CK. And those who aren't are either are on the tail-end of their career(Gore) and have younger guys ready to replace them already waiting in the wings(Goodwin, Rogers).

We have one of the most dynamic QBs in the league, who should only improve going forward. One of the best coaches in the biz. One of the best GMs in the biz. A helluva football staff on every level. And 13 draft picks to play with yet again for a very loaded draft. Might not happen for Gore and Cowboy and that will be a real shame but we'll defintely be in the thick of things for the forseeable future.

Enough with this 'our window is closing' crap. One loss and the fanbase is in full panic mode. We're fine. Actually, we're more than fine...we're a lot better off than most.


The days of dynasties are long gone. The typical window for a group a guys that are assembled into a team is 3 or 4 years these days before the salary cap starts making teams lose key components, or not be able to fill them with quality free agents because they've paid their stars so much that they have no money left for others.

- Many here have long thought we wouldn't be able to afford both Willis and Bowman
- We might not be able to afford Crabs, we might want to afford Crabs, and I've always thought he would prefer to be elsewhere
- Kap hasn't won it all yet and if he doesn't improve it would take a hell of a cast around him to win it all
- Gore is on his last legs
- Justin is on his last legs
- We have huge contract issues in our defensive backfield.
- and there's too much more to list

I thought after Harbaugh's first year here that we had maybe a 3 or 4 year window with these guys to win it all. I still think that. There might be some big changes this very offseason. My preference would be to keep as many guys together as possible, add guys who can make an immediate impact and try to go all the way next year.

And nobody talks about the window closing on NE because they have a QB and a coach who are in the discussion for best QB and Coach in the history of the game. Those two components can go a long way to keeping you in the running. Kap is no Brady (hopefully it's correct to put "yet" on the end of that) and Harbaugh is no Bellichick, IMHO.


How do we have HUGE contract issues in our secondary? Brown, Rogers, and Whitner will probably be gone. They just extended Brock. I'm sure they'll look to extend Cully, depending on how he bounces back from the ACL. They likely re-sing either Cox, Wright or both. They have a ton of draft picks to add more talent to the position. All the other core pieces are locked up for the forseeable future. Staley, Boone, VD, Willis, Bow, Brooks, McDonald. Then we have plethora of young depth all over that should only improve going forward. Kilgore, Patton, V. McDonald, Lemonier, Tank, Reid. Only huge contracts we'll have to worry about is CK and Aldon and I'm sure the plan is already in place to absorb those cap hits. Some guys will be probably be left out in the cold like Crabs and possibly even Iupati but everyone can't be retained. And those guys, as good as they are, can always be replaced or even upgraded by capable players.

People are too caught up in winning it all while we still have Gore and Cowboy here. Like I said, it may not happen for those guys while they're still Niners. Sad but that's the reality of the situation. The team might be more complete when they're not here and better prepared to win it all. Just because two very good players leave doesnt mean the team as a whole is all of a sudden inferior.

As far as the comparsion to the Pats, my point stands. When you have above average coaching and above average talent at the QB position, your window is always open. No coach in the history of the NFL has had the kind of success to start their coaching tenure than JH. He just doesnt have the hardware to show for it. He's no chop liver. And his ssuccess isnt some sort of fluke.

As far as the QB, I personally didn't expect a SB run this year because I knew a regression was due for not only CK, but all the other young QBs. His first full season as starter, more film for defenses to dissect. And he still was very raw, in terms playing from the pocket. I didn't believe he would struggle quite as much as he did bit I predicted a 10-6 season this year. Its very hard for young QBs to win it all UNLESS they have a suffocating defense and a elite rushing attack to take the pressure off said QB. Both our rushing attack and defense were good this year, not great. CK isn't comparable to guys like Wilson and Luck, who played in a pro-style offense they're entire college career. They hit the league more game ready than CK, who needed a ton of work. Rome wasn't built in a day. People talk about Brady like he's always been a GOD. No...he was VERY average for the Pats those for those first two SBs. Look at his stat line. Look at his numbers and Manning's and Brady's through their first 24 starts and compare them to CK. Very similar. Like anyone, Brady had to grow and develop. He worked on it. People need to realize this is CK's first full season as a starter. In terms of being prepared for the pro game, he was probably the least ready out of the young QBs. I said when he was drafted he needed to sit a minimum of two years. All the flaws in his game that people criticize him for are real but ALL are correctable and come with time on the field and maturation. CK already has more road playoff wins that Montana. That's not a typo. Of course he's no where near the QB Joe Cool was but again, he's no chop liver. The best from him is yet to come.

Do ppl not realize CK almost single-handly beat the league's beat defense all by his lonesome? Take away his rushing and passing stats and how much offense to we accumulate without him? Peope need to pipe down a but about CK. QBs throw ints...its a part of the game. I'm not mad he threw a int or two. I'm mad he made the decisions to test the best CB in football when we had avoided him all day long. That's just experience and it comes with making mistakes and I'm sure CK will learn from it...hopefully.


Last edited by 757-NINER on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KEGster


Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 211
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
Our window is OPENING, not closing. Pats have gotten to the conference championship for the past 10 years it seems. Nobidy talks about windows closing wih The Hoody and Brady. All our key peices are locked up long term, except for Aldon and CK. And those who aren't are either are on the tail-end of their career(Gore) and have younger guys ready to replace them already waiting in the wings(Goodwin, Rogers).

We have one of the most dynamic QBs in the league, who should only improve going forward. One of the best coaches in the biz. One of the best GMs in the biz. A helluva football staff on every level. And 13 draft picks to play with yet again for a very loaded draft. Might not happen for Gore and Cowboy and that will be a real shame but we'll defintely be in the thick of things for the forseeable future.

Enough with this 'our window is closing' crap. One loss and the fanbase is in full panic mode. We're fine. Actually, we're more than fine...we're a lot better off than most.


The days of dynasties are long gone. The typical window for a group a guys that are assembled into a team is 3 or 4 years these days before the salary cap starts making teams lose key components, or not be able to fill them with quality free agents because they've paid their stars so much that they have no money left for others.

- Many here have long thought we wouldn't be able to afford both Willis and Bowman
- We might not be able to afford Crabs, we might want to afford Crabs, and I've always thought he would prefer to be elsewhere
- Kap hasn't won it all yet and if he doesn't improve it would take a hell of a cast around him to win it all
- Gore is on his last legs
- Justin is on his last legs
- We have huge contract issues in our defensive backfield.
- and there's too much more to list

I thought after Harbaugh's first year here that we had maybe a 3 or 4 year window with these guys to win it all. I still think that. There might be some big changes this very offseason. My preference would be to keep as many guys together as possible, add guys who can make an immediate impact and try to go all the way next year.

And nobody talks about the window closing on NE because they have a QB and a coach who are in the discussion for best QB and Coach in the history of the game. Those two components can go a long way to keeping you in the running. Kap is no Brady (hopefully it's correct to put "yet" on the end of that) and Harbaugh is no Bellichick, IMHO.


Unfortunately, I agree completely. Sadly when Peyton picked Denver over SF the chance of being a Dynasty was closed. We still had a strong case for multiple titles and frankly still do but yeah we are still ring less at this point.

SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
- We might not be able to afford Crabs, we might want to afford Crabs, and I've always thought he would prefer to be elsewhere


Why do a lot of people think Crabs wants out of SF? He seems pretty happy and has a great relationship with Kap, VD, and all the guys.

I don't think he wants out of SF. The thing is he is EXACTLY the kind of person that goes for the big pay day. Crabtree is the kind of guy stuck on image, hence his twitter rant against Sherman about "Watch the film"

I definitely think Crabtree would put $$$ ahead of titles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 3114
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014-2015 season will be the 20th year anniversary of our last SB win...maybe next year is the year?
_________________
"I've played in a Super Bowl, NFC championship, but before I leave, I want God to bless me and my teammates and get us a ring," Gore said."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
9erNation2013


Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Posts: 146
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the window is closing at all. However, I think it will get tighter. For years we were the laughing stock of the league. We finally get a quality coach like Harbaugh and what happens? Seattle becomes mega good. My only concern moving forward is not how good we will be but will Seattle reamin dominant. If so, then we are in trouble. Not saying I want a cake-walk by any means in the division but I would mind some dominance...lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group