Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So where do we go from now......
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niner_Finer23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: So where do we go from now...... Reply with quote

We have made it to three straight NFC championships and one Superbowl loss. And isn't likely were going to make to a 4th straight NFC championship, What I wanna know is our window of opportunity closing or can we make another run again. With all the big contracts coming up this season and eventually some of coaching staff bound to leave. Is our time to win a ring closing??

RAY LEWIS 2.0
You dont Kung-Fu,Kung-Fu is a way of life-
Jackie Chan
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone say it is unlikely we make it to a fourth consecutive conference championship game? The same was said last year, but it is a complete crap shoot. A lot of it has to do with the seeding and certain match ups.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing J. The Niners are young where it matters. They have a talented young QB who is under contract for next year. They have Crabs and Davis both young and Crabs under contract til next offseason. The Oline is still young and the only guy not locked up is Iupati and Goodwin. Boone will need to get an extension if he continues to play well.

THe defense is in great shape. Brooks/Willis/Bowman all locked up. Still young with Cully and Brock(also locked up), Reid is in his second year. I dont understand why people feel like the Niners are either A) getting long in the tooth or B) unable to sign guys.

Iupati isnt going to get a huge deal yet because you want to see how the ankle does. Kaep while he could be cheaper now could actually not get a new deal for 2 more years if they wanted to franchise him after his deal is over. Crabtree and Smith are the deals that mean a lot.

This season I'd like to see Boldin and Whitner back on 2 year deals each. Goodwin if he is affordable and Iupati if they can work out something decen due to the ankle. Also bring back Dawson. If Iuati still wants significant money Kilgore and Looney are there.

This team has a lot of picks still and can revamp with more youth. Carradine and Dial are in place to take over for Justin and Ian Williams is coming back too.

Calm down. Ask yourself who is in a better position to return to the NFC Championship game right now? The Seahawks? Who else? Unless GB makes significant upgrades on defense they wont be there. The Saints need to be able to win on the road. THe Lions have yet to shown an ability to win big games. Carolina has to prove it still, 1 and dones doesnt earn that right. Philly? Not yet. Dallas? LOL Chicago? Not with that defense. There really is
Ssattle and then the Niners and then everybody else.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even saying we make it to the conference championship game or anything, but saying it is more unlikely is false. We have just as much of a chance getting there as we have had in the last three years. If we handle our business in the regular season and get a top 2 seed, the chances increase.

The core unit for the most part will be back and we will have a lot of young players ready to play.

I will say this though, I do NOT want to trade back in the draft. I hate how the Patriots approach their drafts and it has ended up hurting them a bit. I'm in the belief we should trade up and get an instant game changer like Reid. Those are the type of players that really get a chance to play right away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're still superbowl favorites next year. It will be tougher to remain on top when the big contracts kick in in 2015, but with Harbaugh and a good nucleus, I think we'll be in contention every year for a while. The window as favorites might close soon, but we'll always be close to the top, in my opinion.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
I think we're still superbowl favorites next year. It will be tougher to remain on top when the big contracts kick in in 2015, but with Harbaugh and a good nucleus, I think we'll be in contention every year for a while. The window as favorites might close soon, but we'll always be close to the top, in my opinion.

And really, that's all you could hope for. As dominant as the Patriots have been, they haven't won a Super Bowl in nine years but are always in contention. Same with the Manning led teams as he has won only one ring thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our window is OPENING, not closing. Pats have gotten to the conference championship for the past 10 years it seems. Nobidy talks about windows closing wih The Hoody and Brady. All our key peices are locked up long term, except for Aldon and CK. And those who aren't are either are on the tail-end of their career(Gore) and have younger guys ready to replace them already waiting in the wings(Goodwin, Rogers).

We have one of the most dynamic QBs in the league, who should only improve going forward. One of the best coaches in the biz. One of the best GMs in the biz. A helluva football staff on every level. And 13 draft picks to play with yet again for a very loaded draft. Might not happen for Gore and Cowboy and that will be a real shame but we'll defintely be in the thick of things for the forseeable future.

Enough with this 'our window is closing' crap. One loss and the fanbase is in full panic mode. We're fine. Actually, we're more than fine...we're a lot better off than most.

Last edited by 757-NINER on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Our window is OPENING, not closing. Pats have gotten to the conference championship for the past 10 years it seems. All our key peices are locked up long term, except for Aldon and CK. And those who aren't are either are on the tail-end of their career(Gore) and have younger guys ready to replace them already waiting in the wings(Goodwin, Rogers).

We have one of the most dynamic QBs in the league, who should only improve going forward. One of the best coaches in the biz. One of the best GMs in the biz. A helluva football staff on every level. And 13 draft picks to play with yet again for a very loaded draft. Might not happen for Gore and Cowboy and that will be a real shame but we'll defintely be in the thick of things for the forseeable future.

Enough with this 'our window is closing' crap. One loss and the fanbase is in full panic mode. We're fine. Actually, we're more than fine...we're a lot better off than most.

Applause

Thank You. I swear man people are freaking out about yesterdays game. It was just the beginning in my opinion. Last season was a bit of a whirlwin because of the sudden QB switch and all that followed it. This season showed me it wasnt a fluke. This team is only trending upwards while many others are trending down.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

And really, that's all you could hope for. As dominant as the Patriots have been, they haven't won a Super Bowl in nine years but are always in contention. Same with the Manning led teams as he has won only one ring thus far.

When you're good enough to get deep in the playoffs, then it's always a matter of a couple of plays, whether you win it or not. But we know for sure that if we don't get to the playoffs, we can't win the Superbowl. I'm annoyed when people complain that getting to the playoffs and not winning the superbowl is not enough. It's not enough as fans, sure, it's disappointing. But it's already miraculous that we've achieved what we have in the last three years. If we keep coming back to the NFC championship year after year, we're bound to win the big game eventually.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we are the next Bills of the 90s or Eagles of the 00s LOL.

Yeah, all you could hope for is to be competitive. We were one play from winning last year and one play from getting to the Super Bowl this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Unless we are the next Bills of the 90s or Eagles of the 00s LOL.

Yeah, all you could hope for is to be competitive. We were one play from winning last year and one play from getting to the Super Bowl this year.

I'm not sure what more we can ask than that. You want a clutchier QB? Well, even clutchy QBs have bad luck in the playoffs. Brady was that clutch QB we all dream of, once upon a time, and now look at him... goes to show there's no such thing as a clutch QB, it's all a matter of circumstances, and one of these circumstances is luck. We'll get our chance again.

SquadraOvest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way we handle contracts, extensions, and the draft will tell everything. As much as I like Hitner, he's potentially replaceable in this draft. Goodwin is most certainly gone. But with those two departures, we'd really just be looking to break even in year one via the draft.

Can we draft another difference maker? Reid turned out to be an upgrade this year, and if we can draft another upgrade at CB, for example, with the return of Culliver, a healthy and motivated Crabs, a resigned Boldin in his 2nd year with Kap, and the influx of young talent in Tank and Lattimer, then we have all that improvement AND a trove of high draft picks.

I think that we will continue to replenish and build around our stars while letting non-essential players who make too much money walk. If we were willing to let a pro-bowl caliber safety walk last year then I can't see how we don't follow the same routine this go around. You can't sign Hitner to just to come up a few million short of being able to sign Crabtree for example.

In any case, I'm so proud of this team and what they accomplished. NO shame in this season. The huge winning streak to end the year was phenomenal. We knocked off the Seahawks, went on the road to beat Arizona, beat Green Bay and Carolina in their houses, etc. All of these were HUGE wins for our organization, and we came up just one win short of beating arguably the best team in the NFC on their home turf as well.

Sherman literally just waved his hand blindly and got lucky enough to tip it before Crabs gave us the win. It was a great play, for sure, but in the end it was a matter of inches again. Nothing about our roster or salary cap points to the kind of demise which Houston and Atlanta suffered this year. If anything, we should be just as strong or stronger.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
If we keep coming back to the NFC championship year after year, we're bound to win the big game eventually.

The Bills made it 4 times in the 90's. The Eagles made it 5 or 6 times in the 2000's. They don't have a ring to show for it. Its always possible we're the 2010's version of them.

I do think we will win one...eventually. And i don't mean to be a "first world problems" kind of fan because we've achieved a lot. But we can't keep making it this far and come up short. QB's get paid, cap space for supporting talent drops, GM's go through cold spells (see 2012 draft), players get injured (Crabs last year, Bowman this year), etc. Its extremely frustrating to have so much success and ultimately have no ring to show for it.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it is frustrating when we lose, but that goes for every team that doesn't win it all. Well, at least those that make the playoffs.

If Kaepernick improves and fulfills his potential, then we could afford to lose some of our key pieces. Next year we will be in the same boat we were this year. One of the top 3-4 favorites and likely will have a playoff game or two decided by one play.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our window is only closing in terms of the overwhelming advantage we have over the rest of the league. Our team is stacked in many ways and the ability to be a top 2 NFC team like we have been the last 3 years might drop off with retirements and cap casualties.

I'm frustrated mainly because I really wanted to win rings with guys we had like Rogers, Goldson, Gore, and Smith etc because I really liked them personally. But altogether I think as long as we have the Harbaugh/Baalke pairing and coaches like Tomsula and Fangio we are still going to be in good position to get our next Lombardi.

I'm just hoping the rest of the NFC doesn't catch up with us because we give Kaep a 20 million per year contract that waters down the overall talent we have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: