Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DRD's Awesome Mock
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: DRD's Awesome Mock Reply with quote

Release:
Carl Nicks
It's not like I want to release him. I just think that the MRSA combined with his 2012 toe injury have done irreparable harm to his foot. I don't think that he will ever be the same. Cutting him saves a lot of money, and this regime is not tied to him at all.

Michael Koenen
He's one of the highest paid Punters in the league, but his production doesn't match-up with that. It's tough to justify spending more than $3 million on a Punter.

Luke Stocker
Go away. Seriously. He's always injured, and has done next to nothing on the field.

Resign:
Adam Hayward
Andrew Economos
Bobby Rainey
Dakoda Watson
Erik Lorig
Jamon Meredith

Free Agents:
Jared Allen (3 years, $25 million)
This is a move that just makes too much sense. We need more pressure off of the edge, and Allen has a great relationship with our new DC Leslie Frazier. Allen has plenty left in the tank.

Charles Tillman (2 years, $10 million)
Another move that makes too much sense. Tillman may be the best playmaking DB of our era. We need depth at CB, and adding Tillman would make our Nickel defense formidable.

Michael Hoomanawanui (3 years, $5 million)
Eben Britton (2 years, $3 million)
Matt McBriar (1 year, $1 million)

Draft:

1st round: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

HIGHLIGHTS

There aren't many Carr fans around here. That's OK, I'm not going to try and convince you. I'll try another approach...

Over these last two weeks Jeff Tedford has done several interviews. I like what I hear from him. You can feel his passion for the game. A year away from the game has done him some good. During each interview the QB position has come up, and he let some things slip that give us some insight into what he is thinking.

Jeff Tedford wrote:
We want to be diverse. We want to get speed in space; multiple personnel, formations. We'll use tempo, change tempo from time to time.

Jeff Tedford wrote:
Yeah, there will be some spread elements to it. And there will be some of getting the ball out quick in space and letting your athletes make some plays. Get on the perimeter in multiple ways. You know, from the run game to the extended run game, which is really those things outside [with] quarterbacks spitting out to athletes in space. Sometimes that’s as good as a run.

Sander Philipse wrote:
Tedford talked to 98.7 The Fan about watching college quarterbacks over the past years, and he mentioned a few players by name, including Tajh Boyd, Derek Carr, David Fales and Johnny Manziel.

Leo Howell wrote:
When asked about the potential for Glennon to be the Bucs’ starter moving forward, Tedford said it was “premature” to say that, and that things would become clearer once he got a chance to sit down with Lovie Smith and whoever the GM will be to discuss the roster.

This offense will have a power run game element to it, but as far as the passing game goes he wants his QB to get the ball to his playmakers in space. We'll operate out of the spread, and we'll also go hurry-up. Now outside of Doug Martin, we don't have another playmaker that can do damage in space. We'll deal with that later. With Jackson and Williams we have two of the best jump ball WRs in the game. Tedford will utilize that ability in 1-on-1 situations. Tedford is a QB guru. He spent his season off watching a lot of football, and without being prompted he talked about how much he watched QBs this season. When asked if Glennon is his guy he gave the politically correct response, but he was effusive in his praise when it comes to Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Doug Martin, Donald Penn and even Davin Joseph. If Glennon was the guy there would be no need to mince words. Tedford, Lovie and our new GM will be searching for a new signal caller that can operate out of this offense. Lovie knows that mediocre QB play held his Bears team back. He won't let that happen again.

That brings us to Derek Carr, and I'll keep this brief. He has the best arm talent in this draft. His teammates rave about his leadership, work-ethic and football IQ, and he is one of the few QBs in the country that was allowed to not only call plays, but check out of plays at the LOS. The coaching staff put a lot on him and he responded with crazy numbers. He's a sneaky good athlete that can keep plays alive or scramble when he needs to. He's a playmaker, and he seems like an ideal fit for Tedford's offense.

2nd round: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

HIGHLIGHTS

You want speed in space? Cooks is your guy. He is one of the most dynamic playmakers in country. His lateral agility and vertical speed are fantastic, but I think that what impresses me even more is his ability to win jump ball situations. For a smaller guy he competes on every play. He is not a finesse guy by any means. He has strong hands and he plays through contact. Almost Steve Smith like. He'll be able to help on returns too. Cooks is a great compliment to Jackson and Williams.

4th round: George Uko, DT, USC

HIGHLIGHTS

Under Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier we aren't going to blitz nearly as much as we have in recent years. They will rely on the front four to get after the QB. For this to work though we need more talent. Uko is a versatile interior rusher that will give us some solid depth. He has a fantastic first step, he uses his hands well and his swim move is lethal. Nice player to add to the DT rotation.

5th round: Jon Halapio, OG, Florida

HIGHLIGHTS

With Nicks gone we have to replace him. Jon Halapio plays with a nasty mean streak. He finishes blocks and he has awesome upper body strength. Halapio has dealt with a few nagging injuries, but has been able to battle through them and stay on the field.

7th round: Kenarious Gates, OT/OG, Georgia

HIGHLIGHTS

7th round: Cqulin Hubert, LB, Southeastern Louisiana

HIGHLIGHTS

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
djw4bucs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Everything But the 1st round pick
IMO Carr is not worth #7 Not even top 15 i would rather have J Garpolo in RD 2 and Watkins in the 1st

Adopt a Buc: Vincent Jackson 13 Catches 134 Yards 2 TDs
Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
Falcons set this game to Rookie and the Bucs are being controlled by Hellen Keller.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

If we are losing Nicks I would like to spend the $5 per you gave Tillman on someone that can fill Carl's shoes. If we are going after a rookie qb I would want a more skilled veteran group in front of him.

Not a fan of the first round pick but you like your guy, expect him to do big things and aren't flip flopping and I respect that. If we are going after qb I hope this is the route we go, not Carr per se but use our first round pick on one. I see no point in drafting a qb come round two and hope he proves enough to push Glennon out of the way. If the boys don't like Glennon there is no reason to beat around the bush. If it's Carr, Bortles, Teddy, Johnny... go get him and let's do this.

Since we are picking Carr in this mock wouldn't it be wise to flip Glennon or would you hope to bring Carr along slowly and bench or trade Glennon when the time is right?

Personally I would be on the phone as soon as a qb is selected with the 7th overall. The Titans, Vikes, possibly the Browns or Cards could be looking for a qb as well as the Raiders, Jags if they pass on one in the first.

Michael Johnson 11 tackles | 2 sacks | 1 ff
indifference

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djw4bucs wrote:
IMO Carr is not worth #7 Not even top 15 i would rather have J Garpolo in RD 2 and Watkins in the 1st
You gotta realize that Watkins at #7 everyday more and more is looking like a pipe-dream. There's no guarantee he falls out the top 5.

With that said, I like it DRD. Cooks is a playmaker and will make an impact day 1 as a returner as well. Carr has the talent and most importantly upside to be a very good one. Only thing I don't like is the replacement you have for Nicks.
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
Nice work.

If we are losing Nicks I would like to spend the $5 per you gave Tillman on someone that can fill Carl's shoes. If we are going after a rookie qb I would want a more skilled veteran group in front of him.

Not a fan of the first round pick but you like your guy, expect him to do big things and aren't flip flopping and I respect that. If we are going after qb I hope this is the route we go, not Carr per se but use our first round pick on one. I see no point in drafting a qb come round two and hope he proves enough to push Glennon out of the way. If the boys don't like Glennon there is no reason to beat around the bush. If it's Carr, Bortles, Teddy, Johnny... go get him and let's do this.

Since we are picking Carr in this mock wouldn't it be wise to flip Glennon or would you hope to bring Carr along slowly and bench or trade Glennon when the time is right?

Personally I would be on the phone as soon as a qb is selected with the 7th overall. The Titans, Vikes, possibly the Browns or Cards could be looking for a qb as well as the Raiders, Jags if they pass on one in the first.

All good questions.

I suppose that I could have gone with an OG in free agency, but I think that an open competition with Halapio, Meredith, Gates and Daniels is sufficient. We are cap strapped a bit, and I'd rather go with difference makers at DE and CB. I understand the concern though.

I'm a huge fan of Carr. The more that I watch him, and the more that I read about him I like him even more. Today he told reporters that even if people told him that he was a lock for the first overall pick that he would be at the Senior Bowl because he loves to compete. Unlike McCarron, who pulled a diva move, deciding to bow out and watch other QBs eat his lunch, Carr wants to show what he's made of. I love that.

I wouldn't flip Glennon because Orlovsky's gone and Jordan Rodgers isn't ready. Even with Carr I think that we would keep Glennon for depth.

RB4TampaBay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, nice job here. I must admit that I am curious about Derek Carr, am looking forward to the week of the Senior Bowl to maybe make my mind up on him. Also agree on who we cut and who we resign, and am in favor of these F/A's to get signed and of this mock draft that you have presented. Also, way to go....many others are not aware that we have two picks in the 7th round (one for trading Benn to Philly).
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djw4bucs wrote:

Starting to think Watkins won't be there for us.

Like it a lot DRD.
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job here. There is a lot to like. However, though you may be completely correct on what we do with Nicks, I think our OL will be weak with what we do in this offseason. Granted, we may not have many more options, so you did make the best of it. At LB will Dekota Watson be starting? I think the Allen add in FA along with Tillman make too much sense not to happen. But will Tillman take a nickel CB roll?

You make good reasons for Carr and I love his desire to get better and compete, however that alone doesn't win football games. The fact that so many if his passes were behind the LOS makes me a little uneasy, and he didnt look great in his bowl game. Sure it was one game but just saying. Like you have in one of your quotes, Johnny Manziel's name is there too. And just cuz Boyd's name is there doesn't mean we want him cuz Carr and Manziel are going in the 1st and Boyd isn't. But idealy I think we will hope Bridgewater or Bortles goes 1st and we trade up for Manziel. I think he would be a perfect fil for Tedford. The problem arises if a team like Cleveland really wants Manziel, cuz they have more to trade than we do and we shouldn't give up the house.

Regardless of if its a WR or TE in the 2nd I think one of those two positions needs to be the pick. I love the speed with Cooks but at the same time I wonder if a TE like ASJ would be a better pick for how the NFL is going with the Jimmy Grahams, Gronks and Vernon Davis' giving their offenses huge mismatches down the middle of the field. Wright was good last season but I think he is a better #2 TE. Ideally, like I mocked, we go ASJ in the 2nd and grab Josh Huff in a later round. Gives us speed at the WR position and he is also an inch taller and 20 lbs heavier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went on YouTube and watched a few videos on Carr. He has an interview on there about his time through college and how he changed for the better through that time and some personal family struggles. While I love that he said his priorities are 1. Faith 2. Family and 3. Football, I just get this weird feeling that he isn't going to be a guy that takes the extra hour or two in the film room each week cuz of his 1st and 2nd priorities...which is completely fine. I just wonder how successful he would be in the NFL. As far as character goes I think he is at the top if all QBs coming out.

Last edited by Lil' Shorty on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calibucsfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djw4bucs wrote:

Same

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Mac Miller and Eminem are popular for the same reason
Laughing
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Shorty wrote:
You make good reasons for Carr and I love his desire to get better and compete, however that alone doesn't win football games. The fact that so many if his passes were behind the LOS makes me a little uneasy, and he didnt look great in his bowl game. Sure it was one game but just saying. Like you have in one of your quotes, Johnny Manziel's name is there too. And just cuz Boyd's name is there doesn't mean we want him cuz Carr and Manziel are going in the 1st and Boyd isn't. But idealy I think we will hope Bridgewater or Bortles goes 1st and we trade up for Manziel. I think he would be a perfect fil for Tedford. The problem arises if a team like Cleveland really wants Manziel, cuz they have more to trade than we do and we shouldn't give up the house.

Believe me, I'm not relying on his competitive fire to pass judgement on him. It's a plus.

The number of passes at or behind the LOS are a product of the offense. He's not hesitant to rip it down field. It's just that they rely on the screen game to supplant the running game. His poor showing in the bowl game did concern me, but I saw enough from him this season to still be excited about him.

I threw that quote in there because it was interesting to hear which names came to Tedford's mind first. You would think that Bridgewater and Bortles would lead that list, and maybe they do, but for me it's notable that he talked about other QBs first. For me it shows that he has been doing a lot of evaluating during his year off to see which QBs could execute his offense. That's a good thing.

Lil' Shorty wrote:
Regardless of if its a WR or TE in the 2nd I think one of those two positions needs to be the pick. I love the speed with Cooks but at the same time I wonder if a TE like ASJ would be a better pick for how the NFL is going with the Jimmy Grahams, Gronks and Vernon Davis' giving their offenses huge mismatches down the middle of the field. Wright was good last season but I think he is a better #2 TE. Ideally, like I mocked, we go ASJ in the 2nd and grab Josh Huff in a later round. Gives us speed at the WR position and he is also an inch taller and 20 lbs heavier.

I think that Tedford values speed at WR more than he does at TE. When you talk about speed in space you're talking about a player that can make defenders miss in the open field. It's a rare skill-set. Tim Wright is a good enough athlete IMO to be productive here, but we don't really have a WR that can take a screen or a jet sweep for a big gain.

Lil' Shorty wrote:
Just went on YouTube and watched a few videos on Carr. He has an interview on there about his time through college and how he changed for the better through that time and some personal family struggles. While I love that he said his priorities are 1. Faith 2. Family and 3. Football, I just get this weird feeling that he isn't going to be a guy that takes the extra hour or two in the film room each week cuz of his 1st and 2nd priorities...which is completely fine. I just wonder how successful he would be in the NFL. As far as character goes I think he is at the top if all QBs coming out.

I wouldn't go that far. Kurt Warner, Steve Young and Philip Rivers are cut from a similar cloth in that regard. Their priorities didn't hinder them.

https://twitter.com/dstebbs/status/425365427271651329

Quote:
Not surprised Carr doing so well with WR's, read yesterday he requested tape of inviteD WR's [Senior Bowl] long time ago

This doesn't sound like the type of guy that is going to have a problem with film study.

deuces22wild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
https://twitter.com/dstebbs/status/425365427271651329

Quote:
Not surprised Carr doing so well with WR's, read yesterday he requested tape of inviteD WR's [Senior Bowl] long time ago

This doesn't sound like the type of guy that is going to have a problem with film study.

Wow, really like hearing that.

Michael Johnson 11 tackles | 2 sacks | 1 ff
tscott20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the write ups about Carr, seems like a great guy. still have him as my fourth quarterback behind Bortles for now. I do think Carr has all the tools with his arm, size, & good athlete even though he's not much of a runner. his mechanics from his waist down are really incosistent, as is the way he deals with pressure…. which is not easy to fix. I also think his touch to the middle and deeper parts of the field runs hot and cold. I think you could say Bridgewater, Manziel, or even Bortles are the best talent on the board if any of them made it to seven…. which is questionable. do not think you could say Carr is the best player on the board there, even though quarterbacks are over drafted due to their position. I think Carr has a lot of development left to do in some crucial areas, but maybe Glennon could play over him for a little

I know stats at the college level do not hold a ton of weight, but this is just something to look at:

illustrates a little bit of Carr's struggle with pressure and touch down the field. and since I am already on a rant about QBs, if this media bs about Bridgewater not being the first QB taken actually happens… I would give the house for him. RG3 was given hype near Luck's level, and Bridgewater is a better prospect than him. I know the size is a concern, but cmon what more do you want out of a prospect?

but overall I really like it darealdeal, I really enjoyed the read. I need to watch some of Uko, I am intrigued. I like the Cooks and Halapio picks
BBando

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Good post. I am not a fan of Carr. He runs a very simple offense. Has bad footwork (can be fixed). Also very bad when teams blitz. Reminds me of Gabbert coming out.

garbage
ravishingone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our team has lacked a diverse offense since Gruden was terminated. A lot of successful offenses use the screen game to great advantage. Our offense has been horrendous in this regard for years.

I'm all in for a QB in the first round. I still believe Carr's last name gives him a negative perception. My biggest issue with Glennon is his ability to move within the pocket. He seems more comfortable trying to break contain around the tackle as opposed to trying to climb the pocket. I don't know that Tedford can change that, and unfortunately Glennon is not athletic enough to keep trying to get around the corner.

DRD, I really like your selection in the 2nd round. When was the last time this team had a dynamic WR from the slot position with agility, speed and short area quickness? I believe Jacquiz Green, that is an awfully long time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: