Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Random Hypothetical...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickdawg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: A Random Hypothetical... Reply with quote

So I'm at work today, not working, and I was reading Charles Woodson's comments about Tom Brady and that god damn Tuck Rule B.S. While I was reading it (and thinking how right Woodson is), I had a thought:

Does that call get made the same if the game were in Oakland?

Yeah, I know the "refs are out to get the Raiders," and "of course, fool. It's Oakland." But think about it; the Immaculate (not) Reception? In Pittsburgh. Sea of Hands? In Oakland. Holy Roller? In San Diego. Ghost to the Post? In Baltimore. And so on. You can make an argument for the bigger "screw jobs" being pulled as an away team, but from my recollection, there seems to be a pretty even split of... questionable calls, regardless of location.

So, what do you think? Does the biggest crock of bull ever get called in Oakland, or was Tom Brady's legacy as "can't win without recorded practices" going to happen regardless?
Darbsk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting................ probably in Oakland (as we're being hypothetical) i guess it's probably not snowing and holding the ball and passing is easier so the whole complexion of the game changes, maybe we tuck them away before that even happens!!! With regard to that specific call, it's be a very brave ref who called that in front of the Black Hole Shocked

I actually think the call would change.
Raidin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overturn was correct, ref just made a balls of explaining it.
SPaceGhost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:

Negative, Ghost Rider... the refs used the first half of the rule and not the second half (complete) rule. Read the rule, watch the video, Brady has the ball in both hands when he gets hit, therefore a fumble. Its arguable whether the ball even needs to be in both hands as "tucking the ball" can be interpreted as going past the throwing motion (which Brady clearly was, unless there was a Smurf at his feet I didn't see), the ball being at his abdominals... but the outcome is the same, its a fumble.

If it was in Oakland I don't think it would have been reviewed, it was called a fumble right on the field; even if the booth wanted to the refs would have used the entirety of the rule and made the correct call.

The real question this "What if...?" brings up is "Do the Patriots start a dynasty or does this halt it before it began?" Idea
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPaceGhost wrote:
Raidin wrote:

Negative, Ghost Rider... the refs used the first half of the rule and not the second half (complete) rule. Read the rule, watch the video, Brady has the ball in both hands when he gets hit, therefore a fumble. Its arguable whether the ball even needs to be in both hands as "tucking the ball" can be interpreted as going past the throwing motion (which Brady clearly was, unless there was a Smurf at his feet I didn't see), the ball being at his abdominals... but the outcome is the same, its a fumble.

If it was in Oakland I don't think it would have been reviewed, it was called a fumble right on the field; even if the booth wanted to the refs would have used the entirety of the rule and made the correct call.

The real question this "What if...?" brings up is "Do the Patriots start a dynasty or does this halt it before it began?" Idea

Agree.
CrapTakula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hell would you bring this up and ruin my day?!?
Seasons (and the fate of whole organizations) can change in one play and for a ref to decide the fate of the game like that is complete BS.

And for the record I believe that when you're the most penalized team every year for a decade with different coaches, players, etc. that shows a huge bias against your team. There's also been way too many game changing phantom calls against us for me to believe different.

Bolansho Boro Begoz
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still baffled by the TD that was taken away from Streater in San Diego.

Rules are so inconsistent.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Chali21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Patriots would still be a good team, even if they lose the tuck game. I don't think that people would be calling them a Dynasty however, and Brady wouldn't be considered a GOAT candidate.

Also officiating is way weird like last night when the niners couldn't challenge the fumble when Brooks tore his ACL. I'm like "What?" Because those calls happen all the freaking time. Coaches should be allowed to challenge anything.
Speed_Wrench

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you missed the Lytle fumble in Denver that may have kept us from returning to the super bowl in 77' and "Ghost to the post" was a great "clean" play no controversy with that.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
Why the hell would you bring this up and ruin my day?!?

THIS!
RaiderX wrote:
I'm still baffled by the TD that was taken away from Streater in San Diego.

And this.

#FreeAgent
drfrey13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the tuck rule was not changed one of my first thoughts was every QB should be taught to pump fake right away and not grab the ball with your off hand. Then they could never fumble. The rule would have been changed right away. Also does any have a link to a replay of the Streater play in San Diego. Had to miss the game and even my brother in law, Chargers fan, told me that it was a TD.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
After the tuck rule was not changed one of my first thoughts was every QB should be taught to pump fake right away and not grab the ball with your off hand. Then they could never fumble. The rule would have been changed right away. Also does any have a link to a replay of the Streater play in San Diego. Had to miss the game and even my brother in law, Chargers fan, told me that it was a TD.

Basically Streater caught a deep ball with his back towards he endzone. Then he took like 2 or 3 steps backwards and crossed the plane. Then was hit and held the ball to the ground. Lost it on the way up and somehow they called no TD despite him catching the ball out of the endzone then bringing it in.

#FreeAgent
CrapTakula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that TD.
I also remember a late season game in Denver, tight game, Gannon gets off a 40-50 yard TD to Rice (I think?) and we get called for holding tripping and it comes back. Replay shows the offensive lineman tied up with blocking someone, never moved his leg but the Denver blitzer fell down on the way to our QB so... no TD, lost game.
And Lamont Jordan breaking for a 60 yard TD and another phantom holding call brings it back.

I'm sure every team can point to game changing calls against them, but someone here posted an analysis of game changing plays and it's so skewed against the Raiders for a long time.

Bolansho Boro Begoz
nickdawg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed_Wrench wrote:
Well you missed the Lytle fumble in Denver that may have kept us from returning to the super bowl in 77' and "Ghost to the post" was a great "clean" play no controversy with that.

I had "and so on" in my original post to cover any bases that I may have missed. Doing it off the top of my head isn't always the best way to be accurate. And I know the GttP play was clean; it's just a noteworthy play I threw in (again) off the top of my head with no real research.
SPaceGhost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed_Wrench wrote:

I watched a video where the leagues head honcho of officiating admitted that the Lylte call was wrong and we got screwed... little late, but its nice to know that some people will admit when they're wrong rather than try to cover up the fact that they're cheating bastards and/or inept.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: