Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Iupati broken ankle, Bowman torn ACL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
49er pride

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raider87 wrote:
Thought for sure that Bowman had broke his leg so it may sound bad but I'm glad that it's just a torn ACL
A torn acl is much worse than a broken leg
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49er pride wrote:
Raider87 wrote:
Thought for sure that Bowman had broke his leg so it may sound bad but I'm glad that it's just a torn ACL

Depends on the nature of the leg break. If the bone is completely shattered, while it can/will certainly regrow and be stronger where the broken spot was (as it is with bones - hence the expression "we're all a little stronger in the broken places"), there are certain types of leg breaks which can be career-enders.

At this point with advances in medicine and the phenomenal shape some of these athletes are in, ACL tears aren't nearly as career-altering as they have been in the past. Now, of course, it depends on the nature/size of the tear (technically sprains can be tears, just really, really tiny ones), as this - at least from viewing how the injury occurred and comparing it to other such injuries - is going to require surgery to repair and unlike bone tendon doesn't knit stronger as it heals (or so much as I'm aware).

But stop and consider the high level that Thomas Davis was playing at this season... and how many knee injuries that guy has had: 3 ACL tears in consecutive years, the most recent being in 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually better news than I was expecting for Bowman. After seeing a dozen replays of his injury, I thought for sure it was broken leg, ACL, MCL, PCL, oh hell.....Wishing him the best on a speedy recovery. Love watchin that dude play.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49er pride wrote:
Raider87 wrote:

Depends on the bone. EJ Henderson never recovered from breaking his femur.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
49er pride wrote:
Raider87 wrote:

Derrick Sherrod missed two years cause of a bone break in two places.

At least with an ACL, Bowman will be back in a full calendar year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
49er pride wrote:
Raider87 wrote:

He was pretty good the year after he broke it but he's in his 30's now so it's kinda different from Bowman IMO.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeperKing wrote:
This is the third consecutive year that an elite NFL player has suffered an ACL injury in a playoff/final game loss. (2011: Adrian Peterson, 2012 RG3, 2013: NaVarro Bowman).

AD tore his a game or two before the last one, but yeah it was essentially the end of the season.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
TraBuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's a torn ACL and MCL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/torn-acl-and-mcl-for-navorro-bowman/
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise with Bowman. It looked awful, I wish him the best.

I am a little surprised with Iupati, I was hoping it was just a high ankle sprain. It's easy for those big boys to hurt joints. Wish them both a quick recovery. Hopefully Bowman keeps his quickness.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TraBuch wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/torn-acl-and-mcl-for-navorro-bowman/

Ouch. That's awful. He'll be lucky to be good to go by the start of the season if that's true.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
TraBuch wrote:

Ouch. That's awful. He'll be lucky to be good to go by the start of the season if that's true.

He won't be. They will have to wait for the MCL swelling to go down before surgery happens most likely. Could push surgery back a couple weeks.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
TraBuch wrote:

He won't be. They will have to wait for the MCL swelling to go down before surgery happens most likely. Could push surgery back a couple weeks.

As long as he doesn't rush back... I am sure they would rather he missed 4-6 weeks than come back before he is ready and damage it some more.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Iupati broken ankle, Bowman torn ACL Reply with quote

49ers_52 wrote:
Fits in with the last 3 years and not catching a break. Ginn getting hurt in 2011 probably cost us a SB or at least an apperance, then 2012 Manningham and others left us with thin at WR for the playoffs/SB, this year plagued with a ton of injuries all year long.

you guys were the healthiest team in the league last year Laughing
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Iupati broken ankle, Bowman torn ACL Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
49ers_52 wrote:
Fits in with the last 3 years and not catching a break. Ginn getting hurt in 2011 probably cost us a SB or at least an apperance, then 2012 Manningham and others left us with thin at WR for the playoffs/SB, this year plagued with a ton of injuries all year long.

you guys were the healthiest team in the league last year Laughing
How is his determined? Not disagreeing with you but how do you determine at the end of the year the most/least injured teams?
coors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both tremendous players, I wish each of them a quick recovery, but most importantly, a full recovery. Bowman is one of my favorite defensive players to watch in the entire league, that man is a hell of a player. San Fran IMO has the 2 best inside linebackers in the entire league, with Bowman and Willis.

One thing I've always wondered about.. How good do you guys think Bowman or Willis would be if they were the lone inside backers in a 4-3 scheme?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: