Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential FA Targets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unballed Melon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
packattack86 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Ryan Clark not being on this list is a mistake. I'll overlook it this time. Laughing

Ryan Clark is old as dirt, that's why.
And still better than our Safeties. Old just means cheap experience.

Why would GB want an old safety when they could possibly get a player like HaHa or Pryor for cheaper and longer?

Because a) he knows the defense which is really important for the Capers schema, and b) who knows if we could actually get either of those two?
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodson is three years older than Clark and I could see him playing two more years. I'd like either one of them to sign with Green Bay.
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-Splitter wrote:
Woodson is three years older than Clark and I could see him playing two more years. I'd like either one of them to sign with Green Bay.

Woodson had plenty of athleticism to spare though. Players like that can lose a step easier.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darcoln

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
darcoln wrote:
How about Mike Mitchell from Carolina?
6'1' 220
He had a decent year with 4 more interceptions than the our 2 safeties combined. He's fast and big enough to bring the pain, also should be cheaper than Byrd and Ward.

This is the kind of signing that I think is much smarter and much more likely. Not the "names" everyone points to, but guys that were solid and at most will cost a mid level contract.

Maybe they'll sign someone, maybe they won't again that's a complete different discussion like bringing up Raji. If they DO sign someone, it's going to be a mid level signing and not someone like Byrd or Ward.

I have a hard time thinking Mitchell could go from Ted not wanting him on a 1 year deal near the vet minimum into possibly signing him for starter money on a multi year deal in one year.

Thanx spilltray. And yeah BF004, I doubt TT has a change of heart 1 season later. His pride might get in the way a bit. However he might need to swallow some pride if he wants to win another Super Bowl. I believe TT has to realize that they need to bring in a veteran at the safety position to provide some continuity and leadership, then draft the best defensive back for the position in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Raji situation irritates me. Something tells me that BJ wants to play in Boston again, and with Wilfork hurt he has some leverage.
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What chance is there that we bring Woodson back with a minimum, maybe incentive laden deal? I mean, he cant be worse then MD Jennings, and Green Bay has more promise then Oakland right?

Ryan Clark...do not want.

TJ Ward (Though i am supporter #1), wont be available.

Clinton-Dix wont either.

Stevie Brown on a cheap, prove yourself deal? Best option IMO for the safety problems. We can move Hyde to safety and see how Richardson matures for the future.
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, i didnt really keep track this year, but i just looked and Woodson had:

97 tackles, 3 FF, 2 FR, 1 TD, 1 int and 2 sacks.

Though, i guess PFF has him ranked at safety #28.

Still better then what we had.
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siman08/OH wrote:

Woodson, Clark...ehhh...Has TT ever signed someone in FA who was already 35+? There are better options out there for similar costs who are much younger and can be around more than a season or two.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbpacker40 wrote:
Siman08/OH wrote:

Woodson, Clark...ehhh...Has TT ever signed someone in FA who was already 35+? There are better options out there for similar costs who are much younger and can be around more than a season or two.

Jeff Saturday was 36 I believe when signed.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather take a chance on a rookie S than bringing in any of the vets you guys have mentioned. Woodson? Clark? Stevie Brown?

Pass. Pass. Pass

I'd rather take a chance on a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. I all actuality, this safety class isn't as bad as I once thought. There is a lot of athleticism here. It just doesn't have the 'marquee' type guy. Rest assure, a couple of these Safeties will end up being legitimate NFL players. I just hope we are one of the teams that gets one. I wouldn't be opposed to handling the Safety position much like we did with the RB situation last year and snatch up 2 guys.
Aaron it out

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer to draft a safety rather then get a free agent for the following reasons. Firstly the free agent safeties this season are either really old or expensive. Second of all this draft is stacked with serviceable safeties. And third of all we have Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Bryan Bulaga as free agents next year so WR need to save some money for them too.
fattlipp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethea or Clemons for 4/16m type deal
Clemons would take that, he was only making 2-3m last year
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darcoln wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
darcoln wrote:
How about Mike Mitchell from Carolina?
6'1' 220
He had a decent year with 4 more interceptions than the our 2 safeties combined. He's fast and big enough to bring the pain, also should be cheaper than Byrd and Ward.

This is the kind of signing that I think is much smarter and much more likely. Not the "names" everyone points to, but guys that were solid and at most will cost a mid level contract.

Maybe they'll sign someone, maybe they won't again that's a complete different discussion like bringing up Raji. If they DO sign someone, it's going to be a mid level signing and not someone like Byrd or Ward.

I have a hard time thinking Mitchell could go from Ted not wanting him on a 1 year deal near the vet minimum into possibly signing him for starter money on a multi year deal in one year.

Thanx spilltray. And yeah BF004, I doubt TT has a change of heart 1 season later. His pride might get in the way a bit. However he might need to swallow some pride if he wants to win another Super Bowl. I believe TT has to realize that they need to bring in a veteran at the safety position to provide some continuity and leadership, then draft the best defensive back for the position in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Raji situation irritates me. Something tells me that BJ wants to play in Boston again, and with Wilfork hurt he has some leverage.
Wasn't implying Ted is stubborn or anything, but at this point in his career, Mitchell probably is who he is. He may have had a decent year playing with one of the best front 7's in football, but would he really be any kind of answer on our defense?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want Fred Davis for anything but the vet minimum. He's a dirt poor man's JerMichael Finley. A nice physical skillset but very little production and was beaten out by a 4th round rookie and never got his job back very early in the season. That's not to say Jordan Reed isn't good, but Davis didn't even see the field on a Washington offense that was very mediocre.

Mitchell I'd like and he makes a lot of sense. Malcolm Jenkins is another name I've heard that wouldn't bother me either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
I don't want Fred Davis for anything but the vet minimum. He's a dirt poor man's JerMichael Finley. A nice physical skillset but very little production and was beaten out by a 4th round rookie and never got his job back very early in the season. That's not to say Jordan Reed isn't good, but Davis didn't even see the field on a Washington offense that was very mediocre.

Mitchell I'd like and he makes a lot of sense. Malcolm Jenkins is another name I've heard that wouldn't bother me either.

Report came out today that he's likely facing a 6 game suspension next yr, his 2nd violation, he's 1 strike away from a year long ban.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="packfan4"]
ArodFanboy wrote:
I don't want Fred Davis for anything but the vet minimum...
Report came out today that he's likely facing a 6 game suspension next yr, his 2nd violation, he's 1 strike away from a year long ban.

Yeah, he won't be playing for GB.

Quote:
I'd much rather take a chance on a rookie S than bringing in any of the vets you guys have mentioned. Woodson? Clark? Stevie Brown?

Pass. Pass. Pass

One guy does not fit in this group. I dont know why anyone would be opposed to Brown IF he becomes available. He is exactly what we need in the secondary and could probably be had at a great price. 8 ints in 2012, decent range, good speed, down side is he isnt all that great in run support and isnt the type of tackler you would think he is for his size. Our defense lives and dies by the turnover, Brown would be ideal...again...if he does become available.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: