Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential FA Targets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darcoln wrote:
How about Mike Mitchell from Carolina?
6'1' 220
He had a decent year with 4 more interceptions than the our 2 safeties combined. He's fast and big enough to bring the pain, also should be cheaper than Byrd and Ward.

This is the kind of signing that I think is much smarter and much more likely. Not the "names" everyone points to, but guys that were solid and at most will cost a mid level contract.

Maybe they'll sign someone, maybe they won't again that's a complete different discussion like bringing up Raji. If they DO sign someone, it's going to be a mid level signing and not someone like Byrd or Ward.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pack-ManJones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Davis anyone ?? I would love for TT to make it happen think the guy has alot of upside and talent just wore out his welcome in DC and with the emerging of there new TE's he is a diamond in the rough I believe with AR he could be great. Would put a end to the drafting TE early in draft (which annoys me ) 2yr/3mill.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a shot at Davis .. as long as there were some stipulations in his contract. I think he might be down to his last strike. He's a talented player, and Green Bay is the perfect place to turn your life around personally and professionally.

Last edited by {Family Ghost} on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Byrd, but I wouldnt waste the money on him if we could sign Stevie Brown for probably a quarter of what Byrd will get. 3yrs/10mil would probably get Stevie Brown done. I like Fred Davis a lot and think he could really thrive here.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
Atari-XXX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
packattack86 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Ryan Clark not being on this list is a mistake. I'll overlook it this time. Laughing

Ryan Clark is old as dirt, that's why.
And still better than our Safeties. Old just means cheap experience.

This. Beggars can't be choosers when your only other options are MD Jennings, Chris Banjo or another UDFA/rookie. Are we really going to keep throwing crap at the wall, hoping that one of those safeties is going to pan out?
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atari-XXX wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
packattack86 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Ryan Clark not being on this list is a mistake. I'll overlook it this time. Laughing

This. Beggars can't be choosers when your only other options are MD Jennings, Chris Banjo or another UDFA/rookie. Are we really going to keep throwing crap at the wall, hoping that one of those safeties is going to pan out?

Or we could throw crap at the wall and pay for a guy who declined a ton last year and is already old? If he is the last guy available and we havent signed anyone, then yes, I would look at him. I dont think we will be playing beggar like you mention. There are plenty of FA S available and we still have the draft.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
darcoln wrote:
How about Mike Mitchell from Carolina?
6'1' 220
He had a decent year with 4 more interceptions than the our 2 safeties combined. He's fast and big enough to bring the pain, also should be cheaper than Byrd and Ward.

This is the kind of signing that I think is much smarter and much more likely. Not the "names" everyone points to, but guys that were solid and at most will cost a mid level contract.

Maybe they'll sign someone, maybe they won't again that's a complete different discussion like bringing up Raji. If they DO sign someone, it's going to be a mid level signing and not someone like Byrd or Ward.

I have a hard time thinking Mitchell could go from Ted not wanting him on a 1 year deal near the vet minimum into possibly signing him for starter money on a multi year deal in one year.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Dom said it best when they said this defense needs difference makers. Guys like Kendrick Lewis and Mike Mitchell are mid level guys that likely won't be expensive, but do they have 'value?' Just because a FA comes cheap doesn't mean it's good value. Unless TT is willing to shed a few extra dollars for a guy like Whitner, I'd likely just acquire a Safety via the draft. The mid level free agents don't have the ceiling that some of the Safety's have in my opinion. The argument of a player being an upgrade over 'The Doctor' is ridiculous because not matter what direction we go, the Safety position will be better. Whether it's through the draft or free agency. I'd keep my hands off any mid level FA in favor of adding a couple through the draft unless it's Whitner. I like both Byrd and Ward but I think those guys are going to be looking at Dashon Goldson type money. While Whitner will be a tad pricey, it's more worth while in my opinion. Of course there is absolutely no guarantee SF let's him go, but SF is tight against the cap and they've got some guys that need to get paid.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bigby0 wrote:
Mike and Dom said it best when they said this defense needs difference makers. Guys like Kendrick Lewis and Mike Mitchell are mid level guys that likely won't be expensive, but do they have 'value?' Just because a FA comes cheap doesn't mean it's good value. Unless TT is willing to shed a few extra dollars for a guy like Whitner, I'd likely just acquire a Safety via the draft. The mid level free agents don't have the ceiling that some of the Safety's have in my opinion. The argument of a player being an upgrade over 'The Doctor' is ridiculous because not matter what direction we go, the Safety position will be better. Whether it's through the draft or free agency. I'd keep my hands off any mid level FA in favor of adding a couple through the draft unless it's Whitner. I like both Byrd and Ward but I think those guys are going to be looking at Dashon Goldson type money. While Whitner will be a tad pricey, it's more worth while in my opinion. Of course there is absolutely no guarantee SF let's him go, but SF is tight against the cap and they've got some guys that need to get paid.

You wrote a ton of good stuff but I think Whitner is more a strong safety type and we need more of a free range free safety versus the in the box borderline linebacker strong safety.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we lose Shields and Raji:

Corners:

Will Blackmon (He had a good year in Jacksonville as far as I've heard)
Javier Arenas
Nolan Carol
Aaron Berry

If we keep Shields and lose Raji:

Safeties:

Chris Clemons
Charles Woodson (I can dream)
Danny McCray
Kurt Coleman
Stevie Brown

Defensive Line:

Arthur Jones (Likely too expensive)
Pat Sims (Likely too expensive)
Tyson Jackson (Likely too expensive)
Linval Joseph
Clinton McDonald
Corey Peters
Vance Walker
Leger Douzable
Al Woods

All of the guys in this list are 28 or younger, had positive grades on PFF (I know there's a lot of discourse on the merits of PFF, but it's at least good to tell you if a player is crap or moderately okay, and I fully believe that).

I would only look at guys 28 or younger, and I would only look at guys that wouldn't be known by 70 percent of football fans. In short, guys who have a lot left in the tank that could hit free agency and that could be mid-level contracts.
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
2Bigby0 wrote:

You wrote a ton of good stuff but I think Whitner is more a strong safety type and we need more of a free range free safety versus the in the box borderline linebacker strong safety.

I see Whitner obviously being better near the line of scrimmage and I agree with you about a FS prospect. But you can only do so much. The FS pool is rather weak in my opinion. Whitner is a solid all around S. He's familiarity with the D we run is why I like him. I don't think you'll get a lot of mental errors with Whitner.
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-Splitter wrote:
Defensive Line:

Linval Joseph
Clinton McDonald
Corey Peters
Vance Walker
Leger Douzable
Al Woods

Linval Joseph will probably be the most expensive guy on that list, (meaning he should have the Likely too expensive comment by his name as well).

Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
Tongue-Splitter wrote:
Defensive Line:

Linval Joseph
Clinton McDonald
Corey Peters
Vance Walker
Leger Douzable
Al Woods

Linval Joseph will probably be the most expensive guy on that list, (meaning he should have the Likely too expensive comment by his name as well).

True, but he's the type of guy where the expense would be worth it due to his age and potential. I doubt we sign him, but he is a possibility. Especially if he likes terrible weather and nothing to do on weekends. Laughing
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-Splitter wrote:
BrettFavre004 wrote:
Tongue-Splitter wrote:
Defensive Line:

Linval Joseph
Clinton McDonald
Corey Peters
Vance Walker
Leger Douzable
Al Woods

True, but he's the type of guy where the expense would be worth it due to his age and potential. I doubt we sign him, but he is a possibility. Especially if he likes terrible weather and nothing to do on weekends. Laughing

I actually would be interested in Pat Sims. Had him in a mock earlier, doing some research on him. Had a bit of an injury history with Cincy, but played 16 games last year. The Oakland forum thought he played very well to end the year, definitely not a franchise tag candidate so he should be available come FA if he would be interested in playing elsewhere than Oakland.

packattack86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
packattack86 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

Why would GB want an old safety when they could possibly get a player like HaHa or Pryor for cheaper and longer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: