Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nicks not expected to return to NYG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
But honestly, can people say OL is the biggest need? I mean - we have Cruz, Randle, Jernigan, and Talley. Jernigan and Cruz play the same position (slot) and Randle didn't take enough steps forward this year to prove he can replace Nicks. Many of Eli's picks were on miscommunications with Randle, though that will probably change with McAdoo.

Yes, yes we can say it's the biggest need. By a substantial margin.

Bigger than OLine/Linebackers? I really doubt it.

Cruz has shown that he can easily be a number 1. Most teams rely on just 1 Wr and a few slot guys.

I was saying Oline is our biggest need. Not WR.

My mistake Laughing

Not a Knicks fan
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
But honestly, can people say OL is the biggest need? I mean - we have Cruz, Randle, Jernigan, and Talley. Jernigan and Cruz play the same position (slot) and Randle didn't take enough steps forward this year to prove he can replace Nicks. Many of Eli's picks were on miscommunications with Randle, though that will probably change with McAdoo.

Yes, yes we can say it's the biggest need. By a substantial margin.

Bigger than OLine/Linebackers? I really doubt it.

Cruz has shown that he can easily be a number 1. Most teams rely on just 1 Wr and a few slot guys.

I was saying Oline is our biggest need. Not WR.

I don't agree with this at all.
We have no TE.
One proven WR, a mistake prone WR, a WR that got his most snaps in the last few games of last season, and a WR that I don't think even recorded an NFL catch.
Okay. Lets say we have a line of pro bowlers. Pick your five favorite OL. Are you happy with your picks? With your line?

Now... who does Eli throw it to? Cruz will be blanketed.

People are overcorrecting for OL and not focusing on the team as a whole.

DL is weak
WR is weak
RB is weak
TE is weak
OL is weak
CB is weak

The only strong positions we have are QB.
LB is good if Beason resigns.
DT is good, possibly strong depending on Joseph.

But it seems like everyone wants to invest rounds 1-4 on a LT, LG, RG, C.
That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you end up like Oakland and Jacksonville.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
DL is weak
WR is weak
RB is weak
TE is weak
OL is weak
CB is weak

Sure, but the Giants don't draft TE or RB in the 1st so those are out. WR is not as weak as you make it out to be and even if it was it doesn't do any good if Eli is on his backside the whole game (Or on IR). Of course RB is weak anyone we DID have that's worth starting is now a FA and we're not taking a RB in the 1st. We could draft a WR with the 1st but I doubt it as there are more pressing needs. DL isn't getting the 1st rounder because there's no one worth taking at 12. LB isn't happening in the 1st even if Beason doesn't resign. So that pretty much leaves us with CB or OL.

So basically the discussion is OL or CB in the 1st? Maybe WR. Maybe TE (but this is HIGHLY unlikely IMO). No one wants to go 4 OL in with the first 4 picks. Stop being dramatic. Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
DL is weak
WR is weak
RB is weak
TE is weak
OL is weak
CB is weak

Sure, but the Giants don't draft TE or RB in the 1st so those are out. WR is not as weak as you make it out to be and even if it was it doesn't do any good if Eli is on his backside the whole game (Or on IR). Of course RB is weak anyone we DID have that's worth starting is now a FA and we're not taking a RB in the 1st. We could draft a WR with the 1st but I doubt it as there are more pressing needs. DL isn't getting the 1st rounder because there's no one worth taking at 12. LB isn't happening in the 1st even if Beason doesn't resign. So that pretty much leaves us with CB or OL.

So basically the discussion is OL or CB in the 1st? Maybe WR. Maybe TE (but this is HIGHLY unlikely IMO). No one wants to go 4 OL in with the first 4 picks. Stop being dramatic. Razz

I could have sworn my head exploded because of this...
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
DL is weak
WR is weak
RB is weak
TE is weak
OL is weak
CB is weak

Probably should've been specific, but I was talking about where we're drafting. Outside of Dayne. Who I hated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Acgott wrote:
GmenSeattle wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
DL is weak
WR is weak
RB is weak
TE is weak
OL is weak
CB is weak

Probably should've been specific, but I was talking about where we're drafting. Outside of Dayne. Who I hated.

We don't really have a big enough sample size to assess that, unless you want to take into account the time before Coughlin and Reese
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a James Jones, Cruz, Jerrnigan, Randle as our WR core next year. Its too bad Nicks couldnt get it together...A budy of mine suggested we should bring Kenny Britt back. I just laughed at him
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiscoBlue21 wrote:
I see a James Jones, Cruz, Jerrnigan, Randle as our WR core next year. Its too bad Nicks couldnt get it together...A budy of mine suggested we should bring Kenny Britt back. I just laughed at him

Signing a WR is too expensive. What contract would you suggest for Jones?
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent thought about that very much..he's already 29 so I would give him anything too big/long that would hurt the team but if it was something like 3 year 18 mil would be alright I guess. (the going rate for WR's now are ridiculous)

Acgott wrote:
WiscoBlue21 wrote:

Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiscoBlue21 wrote:
I havent thought about that very much..he's already 29 so I would give him anything too big/long that would hurt the team but if it was something like 3 year 18 mil would be alright I guess. (the going rate for WR's now are ridiculous)

Acgott wrote:
WiscoBlue21 wrote:

Which I don't think James Jones will accept. Free Agents always get overpaid especially when they are one of the best available
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiscoBlue21 wrote:

I never said anything about drafting a RB or TE in the first. I was simply pointing out there are plenty of holes in the roster so focusing on one is short sided.
Depending on their senior bowl/pro day/combine, a TE in the first may not be so bad. If we have a Gronk/Davis/Graham it will take a lot of pressure off Cruz and the other WRs. Of course, it depends on who else is available, and we could probably get a good TE in the second or third. ASJ was a high first round pick before this year but now he's looking more like a mid second.. So thats a possibility.

He may be coming off injury but we liked Maclin more than Nicks and were willing to trade up for him... He was pretty productive in a WCO when DJax was being Nicks. So I'm willing to take the risk on him. The reward far outweighs the risk. ACL injury isn't near as bad as it was 5-10 years ago. There are two players that have had 3 ACL surgeries and are playing well.

But if Watkins is there, we take him. If not, I say Gilbert. If both are gone, I'd prefer a guard over a tackle. We committed to Beatty so its unlikely we let that large investment warm the bench.

Food for thought... J. Bell is a possibility from the Lions. They are already over the cap as is so if they tender him as the original round (he was undrafted) we can sign him without giving up a draft pick. But, I would even give up a 6th for him. Him + Brown would be a great combo. He may be 27ish but he has low miles.
dkebones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:

Food for thought... J. Bell is a possibility from the Lions. They are already over the cap as is so if they tender him as the original round (he was undrafted) we can sign him without giving up a draft pick. But, I would even give up a 6th for him. Him + Brown would be a great combo. He may be 27ish but he has low miles.

^this. i said this earlier, but per rotoworld it looks like the Lions are going to put a 2nd rd tender on him.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

^this. i said this earlier, but per rotoworld it looks like the Lions are going to put a 2nd rd tender on him.

How? I thought they were ~$8M over the cap for 2014?
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
dkebones wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

A few cuts here, a few cuts there it is very easy to get under the cap. A 2nd round tender last year only cost 2 million
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
dkebones wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:

A few cuts here, a few cuts there it is very easy to get under the cap. A 2nd round tender last year only cost 2 million

So thats $10M in cuts just to get under the cap and resign bell, not including any other FA of their own they want to resign or on the market + signing of their draft picks. Thats another ~$4M (I think... could be more), plus they have Bush already. I know its possible, but seems like thats investing a lot in one position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: