Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Draft Show - Highlights and Overview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSTE92 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
In principle, I like the idea of Donald in the first and Ford in the second. Sounds great. But, that's an undersized DL. I don't know how they would hold up over 4 quarters. And, I have a hard time believing that with all of the 3-4 teams, that Ford gets out of the first round.

Have to think Selvie and Bass/Wynn/Another Rookie DT would be able to supplement for these guys as to not run them dead.

But I agree, Ford will be a long shot for 16/17 in the second and if you by the hype Donald might be gone before us in the first too.

Wasn't Sapp once considered undersized, too? And La'Roi Glover?

Look, undersized only matters once in a player's career - on draft day when team's scrutinize everything about a player short of their penis length.

The guy can play, and he plays well. Period. That's all that matters.

But, I am a fan of this new 'tower of terror' craze on DLs - guys 6'4", 6'6" with long arms capable of batting down balls and crowding passing lanes. While I love Donald, there are some guys like Hageman and Lynch (both 6'6") who could improve the pass defense by improving the pass rush as well as by crowding passing lanes with their height and wingspans.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slams point was more to Donald AND Ford combined would lead to a very light DL. Which may lead to being worn down by the 4th QT more readily - especially given the question marks around Ware.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Slams point was more to Donald AND Ford combined would lead to a very light DL. Which may lead to being worn down by the 4th QT more readily - especially given the question marks around Ware.

If you're a pro player for more than a year and still get sapped by the fourth quarter, you don't deserve to be a pro. End of story.

Read the Football FAQ!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

If you're a pro player for more than a year and still get sapped by the fourth quarter, you don't deserve to be a pro. End of story.

I guess Ratliff didn't deserve to be a pro from the 2010 season on, because that's when he showed signs of wearing down due to being miscast on our defense.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
retrolock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I guess Ratliff didn't deserve to be a pro from the 2010 season on, because that's when he showed signs of wearing down due to being miscast on our defense.

Wait, I thought Ratliff was drafted as a nose tackle for the 3-4? Did the scheme changed that much when Rob Ryan came in?
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Wait, I thought Ratliff was drafted as a nose tackle for the 3-4? Did the scheme changed that much when Rob Ryan came in?

Ratliff was never supposed to be a nose tackle. He was forced into the role when Jason Ferguson was injured.

And D94W, you can't understand why someone might have some concerns about using two undersized defensive linemen as every down players? Give me a break.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
retrolock wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Ratliff was never supposed to be a nose tackle. He was forced into the role when Jason Ferguson was injured.

Now that makes sense, because he was always called by announcers as an undersized nose tackle. He was small but fast, and he played with an edge. Too bad things ended that way last year.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrolock wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
retrolock wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Now that makes sense, because he was always called by announcers as an undersized nose tackle. He was small but fast, and he played with an edge. Too bad things ended that way last year.

I mean, he was unconventional, but he obviously played very well in that role. That is, until his body started to break down from all the wear and tear

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
retrolock wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

And D94W, you can't understand why someone might have some concerns about using two undersized defensive linemen as every down players? Give me a break.

Didn't Indy have two DLs who were deemed "undersized" when they won a ring?

Undersized is an overused, misused term. Just because someone doesn't fit the conventional profile of a player at his position, does not mean he can't play there, do well, and not wear down during a game.

Read the Football FAQ!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
retrolock wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Undersized is an overused, misused term. Just because someone doesn't fit the conventional profile of a player at his position, does not mean he can't play there, do well, and not wear down during a game.

So you want to model our defense after a defense that was one of the worst against run EVER. Interesting. Sounds like a good plan for sustained success.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
retrolock wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

So you want to model our defense after a defense that was one of the worst against run EVER. Interesting. Sounds like a good plan for sustained success.

We already did that when we brought in Kiffin and his zone heavy system. Zone heavy, cover 2 oriented defenses - particularly ones that utilize that infamous tampa 2 linebacker play - have just about always been poor against the run.

Only a few Tampa units weren't at the bottom of the league in rushing yards allowed. The majority of Kiffin's protege defensive coaches all struggle to find a balance between heavy pass coverage (zones) and the ability to stop the run. Very few succeed.

The tradeoff is simple: You sell out hard to defend the pass, with faster, smaller, pass rush oriented DLs across the board, dropping linebackers into zones, and keeping the safeties back, and in turn give up a lot of rushing yards. All in the hopes of shutting down the big time QBs who will carve up defenses who don't go all out in an effort to stop the pass.

Read the Football FAQ!
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
retrolock wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I didn't say it can't work. Nor did I say we definitely should not draft both Donald and Ford. I said it's a concern. Something to think about and evaluate. If you can't understand why someone might have that concern, then you are either dense or just being deliberately difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
All in the hopes of shutting down the big time QBs who will carve up defenses who don't go all out in an effort to stop the pass.

Well at least they managed to do that last year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
All in the hopes of shutting down the big time QBs who will carve up defenses who don't go all out in an effort to stop the pass.

Well at least they managed to do that last year.

it doesn't always work out. Sadly, our secondary - especially the safeties - did not transition to more zone heavy play calling. But we did put a nail in the foot of some good QBs, I suppose..just sad that a few big plays ended up being the nail in our coffin, not just in the foot.

Read the Football FAQ!
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be updating throughout the show today! get ready!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: