Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is th best 3-4 OLB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollins

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
rollins wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
rollins wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Barrett is slower than semi frozen molasses....and that includes physically and mentally. Slow to react and no explosion whatsoever.

We all have our own views on players, and thats fine...but I sure as hell dont see the best 34 OLB in the draft or anything close to it. In fact, while I cant say for sure at this point, I have a hard time believing there arent 10 better OLB prospects. I know of at least 5 or 6 Id definitely rather have....and I still need to study up on quite a few guys.

Barrett timed a 4.72 as a freshman. I can't say if it was hand or electronic but that is pretty fast. How do you evaluate explosion?

The guy gets off the snap quick, he is a quick twitch athlete who can open his hips and redirect, and he had over 12 sacks this season. I didn't want to post his stats because they are sometimes misleading.

Who are your top 5 OLBs?

I like Barrett as a late round steal but like 43 I do not see him as even a top 5 OLB.

Here are the players off of the top of my head that I would rather have:

Barr
Mack
Attouchu
Marcus Smith
Sam
Ford

Remove the top two and I love your list.

wait wait wait......are u saying that you would rather have Barrett over Barr and Mack based on where you have to draft them or are you saying you would rather have Barrett than Barr and Mack with all things being equal?

Based off what I have seen, I would ta Barrett hands down over both Barr and Mack. I am high on Dee Ford but Barrett s better against the run. Marcus Smith I love but I had no idea that he would be a potential day 1 or 2 pick. Those guys may have a better 3 cone drill and 10 yard split but I feel Barrett will be an overall better player.

Personally I think your nuts for that statement but I can't say for sure that your wrong. I think we all have a player every now and then that is a late round pick that we may think is a top 10 player in the draft and we don't understand how no one else sees what we see. I was the same with Trevardo Williams last year. I thought he was one of the 5 best players in the draft.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armsteeld its good to see somebody enthused about prospects but I have to say very few of your comparison players seem to be accurate or make sense to me.

Earl Holmes a not so fast tough guy run stuffing ILB reminds you of OLB / rush DE Shaqil Barret ? Because of his attitude or because of his play?

...you have a forum resume?
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Armsteeld its good to see somebody enthused about prospects but I have to say very few of your comparison players seem to be accurate or make sense to me.

Earl Holmes a not so fast tough guy run stuffing ILB reminds you of OLB / rush DE Shaqil Barret ? Because of his attitude or because of his play?

No no no Laughing Someone earlier mentioned he could possibly line up as an ILB so that is why I made that statement. I don't know if he as nasty as Holmes.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins, I have been called way worse Cool This draft is actually quite deep with edge rushers. Once Daniel Jeremiah and other scouts watch individual drill movements, the top ranked players will shift back and forth.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey Porter on high school/college HOF induction and he talks about Shaquil Barrett near the end. It is a good interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4bLMo1-cPg

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/12/shaquil-barrett-the-quarterback-shaq/

jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack is the most ready of the OLB in this draft. Has great technique to go with his athletic ability. The MAC will drag him lower in the draft.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Mack is the most ready of the OLB in this draft. Has great technique to go with his athletic ability. The MAC will drag him lower in the draft.

Mack could be the 1st player taken. Sounds crazy but Supposedly many feel he is a better threat than Clowney as a 34 OLB. I think Clowney, with a year or two, could be the next Lawrence Taylor as a 34 OLB.

The best players sometimes come from later in the draft. If Barrett is a 7th rounder, I feel he has the drive to become elite.

ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Barrett is slower than semi frozen molasses....and that includes physically and mentally. Slow to react and no explosion whatsoever.

We all have our own views on players, and thats fine...but I sure as hell dont see the best 34 OLB in the draft or anything close to it. In fact, while I cant say for sure at this point, I have a hard time believing there arent 10 better OLB prospects. I know of at least 5 or 6 Id definitely rather have....and I still need to study up on quite a few guys.
Hes a Adrian Robinson clone.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
I think Clowney, with a year or two, could be the next Lawrence Taylor as a 34 OLB.

Clowney will be whatever he decides to be. If he wants to be Lawrence Taylor or Reggie White, he will be.
BigBiss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No love for Van Noy?
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Noy makes a great 4-3 LB anywhere, and perhaps 3-4 Inside. He can play outside in a 3-4 but will disappoint you from the expected norm of an every down pass rusher. His best pass rushing work is on stunts, and he has a spin move he uses on unsuspecting tackles but will not bode well in any type of bull rush or vs bigger tackles on every down. He has explosive quickness in space and in pursuit.

After knocking him down for a while he has gone back up in my eyes over the last several games I have watched but that consideration is with the 4-3 in mind, I'm not as comfortable about the success or fit in a 3-4. Perhaps if had time to get stronger but look how patient everyone was/is with Jarvis..

...you have a forum resume?
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise you guys that once the draft rolls around, this guy will be a day 2 selection. I can't wait for his pro day numbers so others can see his athleticism.

Also, he is a family man and seems like he understands the sacrifices it takes to be a football player, father, and husband. Oh yeah, and he's only 21.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coloradoan.com%2Farticle%2F20130713%2FSPORTS0201%2F307130029%2Fshaquil-barrett&ei=qJH7UvXEOun42AXI14HIDw&usg=AFQjCNEoolx85Y9Nsi1nTCVmaiCXWK_pgA&bvm=bv.61190604,d.dmQ

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/02/2014-nfl-draft-player-profiles-colorado-state-deolb-shaquil-barrett/

jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone turned me on to Derrell JohnsonOLB ECU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP0Tt8eA5sM

Quote:
Rates as one of the top performers in the Pirates' strength and conditioning program ... Off-season testing produced a new all-time position and team record with a 405-pound push jerk ... Other "excellent-rated" status marks include a bench press of 425 pounds, a power clean of 338 pounds, a back squat of 585 pounds, a vertical leap of 35", a broad jump of 115" and a 40 time of 4.58 ... Has played in 37 games and will open the 2013 campaign with 36-straight starts, which serves as the longest active streak in the ECU program ... Has recorded multiple tackles in 30 of 37 outings and has booked at least one tackle in 25 consecutive contests, dating back to the 2011 season opener vs. South Carolina.

Late round pick but something you look for with that broad jump and vert. That shows explosiveness. Very much like Deebo. Needs technique.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Quote:
Rates as one of the top performers in the Pirates' strength and conditioning program ... Off-season testing produced a new all-time position and team record with a 405-pound push jerk ... Other "excellent-rated" status marks include a bench press of 425 pounds, a power clean of 338 pounds, a back squat of 585 pounds, a vertical leap of 35", a broad jump of 115" and a 40 time of 4.58 ... Has played in 37 games and will open the 2013 campaign with 36-straight starts, which serves as the longest active streak in the ECU program ... Has recorded multiple tackles in 30 of 37 outings and has booked at least one tackle in 25 consecutive contests, dating back to the 2011 season opener vs. South Carolina.

Late round pick but something you look for with that broad jump and vert. That shows explosiveness. Very much like Deebo. Needs technique.

They, ECU, also have a 6'8 277lb TE who is entering the draft! Steelers love those big TEs *hint hint*

armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Quote:

He is explosive and quick but he looks very stiff. He doesn't seem like he can bend and rip upfield. With his power and speed, I would use him as an ILB to control the middle of the LOS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: