Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is th best 3-4 OLB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Who is th best 3-4 OLB? Reply with quote

This guy is easily the best 3-4 OLB in this draft. No one is talking about him yet and I remember seeing him dominate Alabama. He is listed at 6'2 260lbs and he also lined up at DT and DE. He reminds me of Melvin Ingram and Mike Vrabel. Maybe Steelers won't even look his way but he reminds me of Bill Belicheck's OLBs. Big, powerful, and good technicians. The best 34 OLB is Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State University Cool He was also coached by one of the brashest OLB to ever play in Pittsburgh in Joey Porter! I know the Steelers know of this kid and man I would be thrilled to get this guy. I think he is easily the best 34 OLB in this draft. Barrett also played LB and I think he could thrive at that in our system. This guy is scheme diverse and I am sure Joey Porter is keeping the Steelers well aware of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcGMgbc_DRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmqdf-TN4wc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzea0bDB0cU

http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122313aab.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILn1ie7l13o
He plays ILB on most plays in this game. I think it is due to Boise St throwing the ball quickly so they used him as an intimidator in the middle. He moves very well but you be the judge.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky

Last edited by armsteeld on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
rollins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI The first link is completely the wrong video.

But as far as Shaq goes I really liked what I have seen so far. Thanks for putting me on to this guy. I have to keep doing my research but from what I see his a really nice late round prospect that I think deserves to be drafted much earlier than he will. I LOVED his bama game I found on youtube. He was sturdy against the run and was killing Kuondjo with his pass-rushing moves. He shows the ability to slant inside, bend around the corner, and Ive even seen a few spin moves. His bull rush leaves something to be desired especially for a man of his size. Two things that I am worried about with this guy is that #1 He looks very out of shape when you see him. He has a huge belly and waist along with small arms and shoulders. Now I know that doesn't mean anything when it comes to playing football but it is just a red flag for a OLB who you would expect to look more physically imposing. It just makes me question his work ethic. Also at times it looks as if he might be the kind of technical player that can dominate at the collegiate level but in the NFL could get overwhelmed by much better athletes. I will be anxious to see his workout numbers.

Overall I love this draft from an OLB and WR talent standpoint. Since those are two positions we definitely will need as I expect Worilds and I hope Sanders will be gone.

At OLB you have the elite guys in Barr and Mack which I love. But I also love the talent in the mid to late rounds from Attouchu, Sams, Marcus Smith, Dee Ford, and now Shaq. I personally would hope we take an Elite WR/TE early and grab two of the OLBs mentions in the mid to late rounds to stack up on prospects. I mean Attouchu in the 2nd and Shaq in the 6th would be amazing!
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
FYI The first link is completely the wrong video.

But as far as Shaq goes I really liked what I have seen so far. Thanks for putting me on to this guy. I have to keep doing my research but from what I see his a really nice late round prospect that I think deserves to be drafted much earlier than he will. I LOVED his bama game I found on youtube. He was sturdy against the run and was killing Kuondjo with his pass-rushing moves. He shows the ability to slant inside, bend around the corner, and Ive even seen a few spin moves. His bull rush leaves something to be desired especially for a man of his size. Two things that I am worried about with this guy is that #1 He looks very out of shape when you see him. He has a huge belly and waist along with small arms and shoulders. Now I know that doesn't mean anything when it comes to playing football but it is just a red flag for a OLB who you would expect to look more physically imposing. It just makes me question his work ethic. Also at times it looks as if he might be the kind of technical player that can dominate at the collegiate level but in the NFL could get overwhelmed by much better athletes. I will be anxious to see his workout numbers.

Overall I love this draft from an OLB and WR talent standpoint. Since those are two positions we definitely will need as I expect Worilds and I hope Sanders will be gone.

At OLB you have the elite guys in Barr and Mack which I love. But I also love the talent in the mid to late rounds from Attouchu, Sams, Marcus Smith, Dee Ford, and now Shaq. I personally would hope we take an Elite WR/TE early and grab two of the OLBs mentions in the mid to late rounds to stack up on prospects. I mean Attouchu in the 2nd and Shaq in the 6th would be amazing!

Thanks and I will fix that. That first link was the Bma game. His torso threw me off also but I watched the Bama game live and I was so impressed. He flies all over the field and his stamina is not an issue. Once Mayock gets his tape, he will shoot up the draft boards and be in the top 5 OLBs.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrett is slower than semi frozen molasses....and that includes physically and mentally. Slow to react and no explosion whatsoever.

We all have our own views on players, and thats fine...but I sure as hell dont see the best 34 OLB in the draft or anything close to it. In fact, while I cant say for sure at this point, I have a hard time believing there arent 10 better OLB prospects. I know of at least 5 or 6 Id definitely rather have....and I still need to study up on quite a few guys.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Barrett is slower than semi frozen molasses....and that includes physically and mentally. Slow to react and no explosion whatsoever.

We all have our own views on players, and thats fine...but I sure as hell dont see the best 34 OLB in the draft or anything close to it. In fact, while I cant say for sure at this point, I have a hard time believing there arent 10 better OLB prospects. I know of at least 5 or 6 Id definitely rather have....and I still need to study up on quite a few guys.

Barrett timed a 4.72 as a freshman. I can't say if it was hand or electronic but that is pretty fast. How do you evaluate explosion?

The guy gets off the snap quick, he is a quick twitch athlete who can open his hips and redirect, and he had over 12 sacks this season. I didn't want to post his stats because they are sometimes misleading.

Who are your top 5 OLBs?

Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

I don't see that. I'll agree he's not an OLB. He's an inside guy. I think it was JPN that mentioned that as well. I don't see the slow guy you see (4.73 40). While he plays "out of control" to often, he seems to have good instincts and good lateral movement. It would surprise me to see him as a productive ILB in the mold of Brandon Spikes.

* Embarassed My mistake, I was thinking of Carl Bradford from ASU. Disregard everything I said (assuming anyone was even paying attention).

Last edited by Chieferific on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on this guy, and the links. I think he would be a decent developmental prospect to grab in the 6th/7th round, ala Vince Williams. If he times well on his pro day, he might make some teams take notice.

His senior year stats were impressive, especially the 3 blocked kicks, 3 FF, and over 20 TFLs. I know his level of competition wasn't the highest every game, but he did have some nice plays in the Bama game. He also moved around a lot from the right to the left and vice versa. I know that's not "eye popping", but good to see him be effective from both sides of the ball.

But I don't agree he is the best 3-4 OLB in this class. But he does have the right "measurements" as being a "squatty" type OLB prospect that the Steelers seem to gravitate to. I wonlt say that's what they look for, just seems those are the ones we happen to draft or pickup...

...and yes, he might be better inside, but yeah, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him late.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
Thanks for the info on this guy, and the links. I think he would be a decent developmental prospect to grab in the 6th/7th round, ala Vince Williams. If he times well on his pro day, he might make some teams take notice.

His senior year stats were impressive, especially the 3 blocked kicks, 3 FF, and over 20 TFLs. I know his level of competition wasn't the highest every game, but he did have some nice plays in the Bama game. He also moved around a lot from the right to the left and vice versa. I know that's not "eye popping", but good to see him be effective from both sides of the ball.

But I don't agree he is the best 3-4 OLB in this class. But he does have the right "measurements" as being a "squatty" type OLB prospect that the Steelers seem to gravitate to. I wonlt say that's what they look for, just seems those are the ones we happen to draft or pickup...

...and yes, he might be better inside, but yeah, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him late.

Fair assessment. I can see him ala Earl Hitman Holmes type.

rollins

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Barrett timed a 4.72 as a freshman. I can't say if it was hand or electronic but that is pretty fast. How do you evaluate explosion?

The guy gets off the snap quick, he is a quick twitch athlete who can open his hips and redirect, and he had over 12 sacks this season. I didn't want to post his stats because they are sometimes misleading.

Who are your top 5 OLBs?

I like Barrett as a late round steal but like 43 I do not see him as even a top 5 OLB.

Here are the players off of the top of my head that I would rather have:

Barr
Mack
Attouchu
Marcus Smith
Sam
Ford
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Barrett as a sleeper. I just finished watching the New Mexico Bowl and forgot about him before I watched it. He had impressive plays throughout. Then they mentioned Joey Porter and then he finished the game like he did.

He's probably far from ready but has potential and you gotta like his relentlessness.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Who are your top 5 OLBs?

Timed speed honestly doesnt mean much to me. It might make me notice someone if they run fast, but in general it really doesnt matter to me.

Gets off the snap quick? I dont see that at all. Has a poor first step if you ask me.

As far as my top 5....Im not going to list it just yet because its extremely premature since I have to get caught up on several players.

Im not saying that I am right or you are wrong. There is no exact science here. I just dont see what you see.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Who are your top 5 OLBs?

I like Barrett as a late round steal but like 43 I do not see him as even a top 5 OLB.

Barr
Mack
Attouchu
Marcus Smith
Sam
Ford

Remove the top two and I love your list.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Who are your top 5 OLBs?

Timed speed honestly doesnt mean much to me. It might make me notice someone if they run fast, but in general it really doesnt matter to me.

Gets off the snap quick? I dont see that at all. Has a poor first step if you ask me.

As far as my top 5....Im not going to list it just yet because its extremely premature since I have to get caught up on several players.

Im not saying that I am right or you are wrong. There is no exact science here. I just dont see what you see.

No problem. I like many different opinions and that is why I want everyone to break down the film. Once I first started posting, I used to get too emotional if others didn't agree. Now I desire more informed decisions.

rollins

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
rollins wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Who are your top 5 OLBs?

Barr
Mack
Attouchu
Marcus Smith
Sam
Ford

wait wait wait......are u saying that you would rather have Barrett over Barr and Mack based on where you have to draft them or are you saying you would rather have Barrett than Barr and Mack with all things being equal?
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
rollins wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Who are your top 5 OLBs?

Barr
Mack
Attouchu
Marcus Smith
Sam
Ford

wait wait wait......are u saying that you would rather have Barrett over Barr and Mack based on where you have to draft them or are you saying you would rather have Barrett than Barr and Mack with all things being equal?

Based off what I have seen, I would ta Barrett hands down over both Barr and Mack. I am high on Dee Ford but Barrett s better against the run. Marcus Smith I love but I had no idea that he would be a potential day 1 or 2 pick. Those guys may have a better 3 cone drill and 10 yard split but I feel Barrett will be an overall better player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: