Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Free agents
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: 2014 Free agents Reply with quote

Don't think we have one up yet so I'll start one.

Quote:
Titans FS Michael Griffin is unsure if he'll be back in 2014.
Griffin is coming off a solid season, finishing with 106 tackles and an interception in Tennessee's No. 11 ranked pass defense. He's currently set to count $8 million against the cap in 2014, so the Titans could look to part ways under a new coaching staff. George Wilson would serve as a capable in-house replacement if Griffin were to be released. Free agent SS Bernard Pollard is also questionable to be brought back this offseason.

If we don't re sign Whitner, how do you guys feel about Griffin at SS? only if we can some how get him cheap.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally feel we NEED Whitner back especially we are going to lose Brown/Rogers, but Griffin may command a lot of money.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I personally feel we NEED Whitner back especially we are going to lose Brown/Rogers, but Griffin may command a lot of money.

I am in the same boat. I really hope we bring him back. He's been pretty darn important in teaching Reid. I was one of the ones who wanted Whitner gone after last year but he's been great this year.

Edit: but I think getting more depth at S is needed. everytime Dahl gets any PT, I get nervous.
AMG1713

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin is soft as toilet paper. He'd be an awful fit at SS. I'd rather have Pollard, but he probably wouldn't come here due to his beef with the other Harbaugh. If we lost Whitner, I'd rather we replaced him with a draft pick, because none of the impending FA safeties who we could afford are very appealing.
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
Griffin is soft as toilet paper. He'd be an awful fit at SS. I'd rather have Pollard, but he probably wouldn't come here due to his beef with the other Harbaugh. If we lost Whitner, I'd rather we replaced him with a draft pick, because none of the impending FA safeties who we could afford are very appealing.

idk how I would feel about having a young back end with Reid and a Rook. I don't mind if we draft someone to groom under Whitner. Whitner is only 28 so he should still have a few good years left.
AMG1713

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:

idk how I would feel about having a young back end with Reid and a Rook. I don't mind if we draft someone to groom under Whitner. Whitner is only 28 so he should still have a few good years left.

With the way Whitner heaped praise on Reid for his football intellect, I think we'd be okay with Reid as the leader of the secondary.
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to bring Whitner back, but this is the best season of his career and you don't break the bank for guys who have been average their entire career and then put together a career year in their walk season. I love what he brings, especially in the intangibles department, but I just think he's going to ask for too much money. Personally, if we can't bring him back, I'd sign another Dahl like safety and draft Dixon / Buccanon in rds 2 or 3. I'd be okay with the youth at safety

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as much flak as fans gave Whitner for his coverage abilities, Pollard is 10x worst. Don't know why anyone would want his lack of coverage ability in our secondary.

Griffin is a good, dependable talent at FS. Won't wow you with his intangibles or ball skills but he's solid. He wouldn't be a bad option at all for the right price while we groom a youngster. That being said, I really want Whitner back. I've always felt ppl didn't truly value his talents because he was continously covering for other player's mistakes in coverage and getting the bulk of the blame. He's solid in and around the box, with great speed and acceleration to patrol the deep half. This is probably his last shot at a big payday and whenever there is a influx of new coaches, GMs start throwing money at FAs so their new appointed HC can get some new talent and start building a winner. So I really don't see us outbidding anyone for his sevices. He'll should be one of the more sought after FAs at safety.
757-NINER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Mitchell
Chris Cook
DRC
Fred Davis

Those guys stick out as players I think could thrive in our system. Front seven is fine. Even with Bow's injury, we should be ok depth wise.

I really like Mitchell. Played his [inappropriate/removed] off for Carolina. Big guy who can move. Won't command the type of money Whitner will.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Mitchell will want to come to SF after his comments after the game Laughing .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Danieal Manning if the Texans cut him loose?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
SquadraOvest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Whitner, but I'm still going to be disappointed if the Niners sign him. He will cost too much money considering our other future obligations and will handcuff us when it comes to signing the true core of this team. He has never been phenomenal in coverage but merely average.

Considering our line and linebackers, a coverage safety will make more of a difference in our scheme than what Whitner brings. With the talent all around him, a lot of safeties could experience "career years" on this squa. Even the new guy, Reid, was hardly a liability, and if anything his coverage ability helped and did not hinder Whitner's season. Plus, all our linebackers can cover as well.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donte Whitner made one of the best plays you will see a safety make yesterday. He was about to come in the box but when he saw Wilson roll out, he turned around and sprinted about 30 yards to break up the deep ball to Baldwin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to you guys feel about Antoino Cromartie? He played really well last year but dk what happened to him this year. The Jets will probably let him go. Should we throw a one year deal to see what he has left especially if we end up letting Rogers and TB go?
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'd love to sign Cromartie. He didn't have a great season, but he is a big CB that has great ball skills. In 2012 he was arguably a top 3 CB in the league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 1 of 65

Jump to: