Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reggie McKenzie's season ending thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
91jmay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most guys the Raiders let go don't amount to much though. Stands to reason, that if you are a bad team the players you let go are bad.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Keleth wrote:
Speed_Wrench wrote:

All I'm trying to say is when people write nfl players off, especially on the raiders, it's not always entirely accurate

Who have we cut that has gone on to be a success elsewhere in recent years ?

I assume you mean didn't bring back as opposed to outright cutting but Mike Mitchell, Tommy Kelly & Desmond Bryant are examples from last year.

I really wanted Mitchell back. Only player I was sad to see go.

Same. Some fans weren't sold on him, and I wasn't completely either, but I would have rather let Tyvon walk and try Mitchell than overpay Branch like we have. JTagg nailed it when everyone disagreed with him. Branch doesn't always play as bad as he's shown he can, but he isn't worth his contract imo.

#FreeAgent
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Keleth wrote:
Speed_Wrench wrote:

All I'm trying to say is when people write nfl players off, especially on the raiders, it's not always entirely accurate

I assume you mean didn't bring back as opposed to outright cutting but Mike Mitchell, Tommy Kelly & Desmond Bryant are examples from last year.

I really wanted Mitchell back. Only player I was sad to see go.

Same. Some fans weren't sold on him, and I wasn't completely either, but I would have rather let Tyvon walk and try Mitchell than overpay Branch like we have. JTagg nailed it when everyone disagreed with him. Branch doesn't always play as bad as he's shown he can, but he isn't worth his contract imo.

I agree. Been saying for years he was our best coverage safety and was mocked for itm Carolina uses him that way and he is balling. Just reminded of Chris Clemons once I turned the hawks gagame on.
Raidin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Haha alrighty then, I guess I forgot a few. In summation, there are a decent amount of guys that have left here and found more success. Not like they're all bums. For every Mike Mitchell there's a Louis Murphy.

Found more success but they haven't become better players, they've just landed in better situations. I wouldn't have Mike Mitchell or Byrant back on this team as I don't think they improve it.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Just reminded of Chris Clemons once I turned the hawks gagame on.

They had 3 ex-Raiders starting at some point. Clemons, Miller and McQuistan. I think McQuistan has been benched though. Funny to think McQuistan and Boothe were starting Gs while we're struggling at the position.
Barksdale was also starting at RT for the Rams.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
Found more success but they haven't become better players, they've just landed in better situations. I wouldn't have Mike Mitchell or Byrant back on this team as I don't think they improve it.

First sentence, in a lot of cases I agree. Which brings up coaching and not putting players in position to succeed. Or perhaps ownership not being patient enough to let the HC's find players who fit. Nah, who am I kidding? Ownership picking the players and not being able to hire a good coach because no one wanted to coach in Oakland.

Disagree with your 2nd sentence but whatever.

TiberiusRising wrote:

Clemons is another one.

oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

They had 3 ex-Raiders starting at some point. Clemons, Miller and McQuistan. I think McQuistan has been benched though. Funny to think McQuistan and Boothe were starting Gs while we're struggling at the position.

Good points, and it is humorous. As Raidin said, better situations helped a lot imo because most of the guys we're talking about are role players or not among the best.

#FreeAgent
91jmay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of those guys also left for more money than we could pay (Clemons, Bryant, Miller) which is therefore a false argument.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
A few of those guys also left for more money than we could pay (Clemons, Bryant, Miller) which is therefore a false argument.

I can't remember what the thing was with Clemons so I can't comment, but Bryant for sure was at least partially about money. I thought Miller was partially about the money, but I also think he got sick of the way the organization functioned. He also was a Cable guy IIRC so I don't doubt that Tom Cable going to Seattle affected Zach Miller's choice.

#FreeAgent
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

don't forget Samson

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

don't forget Samson

I thought he was a weak link on Indy's line? I could be wrong though.

#FreeAgent
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

don't forget Samson

he is
Speed_Wrench

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
Speed_Wrench wrote:

There are certain posters on this forum who fall in love with a player and swear fealty to him and he can do no wrong despite the evidence in front of their eyes.It happened with JR,DMC and various others.
DMC is going to be released which many posters on this forum have seen coming for the last couple of seasons yet other posters have seen him as the saviour of our franchise and would hear nothing against him yet now they don't care because they have moved on to their new favourite.

I didn't say that.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:

Still partly disagree with JTagg's assesment of Branch. Problem he had was playing in a system previously that didn't focus on his strengths and accentuated his weaknesses. There is no safety in the NFL that doesn't take bad angles at times and the number of times Branch was left trying to take on RBs running at full tilt through the vast open plains of our DL made for some predictable misses, his coverage of TEs I thought was pretty good considering. However, I believe Tarver and DA will put him in a system to accentuate his strengths next season and he will play close to a Pro Bowl level. I guess we find out next year........IMHO we missed him greatly this year!
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

don't forget Samson

well compared to our weak links....

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
raidr4life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

Still partly disagree with JTagg's assesment of Branch. Problem he had was playing in a system previously that didn't focus on his strengths and accentuated his weaknesses. There is no safety in the NFL that doesn't take bad angles at times and the number of times Branch was left trying to take on RBs running at full tilt through the vast open plains of our DL made for some predictable misses, his coverage of TEs I thought was pretty good considering. However, I believe Tarver and DA will put him in a system to accentuate his strengths next season and he will play close to a Pro Bowl level. I guess we find out next year........IMHO we missed him greatly this year!
I agree with this, he was poised for a good year in this defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: