Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Players the Packers "have shown interest in"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBitzMan wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/1/27/5347670/2014-nfl-mock-draft-blake-bortles

well this guy thinks we take Ward in the 1st ahead of Barr.

I like when people take some chances when making their mocks.

I will be ecstatic with any pick if it pans out, especially at safety.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
spilltray wrote:
I don't think Pryor is worth a 1st at all.

me neither

I think there is a small risk of buying high with Pryor. I do feel that kids a very good/safe football player though. That staff will pound the table HARD for him as well. Don't know what you guys know about Charlie Strong. But he is not the type that will pound the table if he is not all in on the player. They were willing to go there with Pryor and clearly loved him.

Getting close, but I'm not all in on Pryor just yet. Good looking athlete and everything is functional on the field of play. Got real hot at the end there though. His later film is MUCH better than his early film. My hope is that he was just starting to "get it" and this is the type of play one can plan for in the future. LIS though, there is some risk of buying high with a prospect like that. Can't wait to talk with him. Starting to think I'm going to like that one when all is said and done.

It's not that I hate Pryor as a prospect, I just hate him as a FIRST ROUND prospect. I see him as a 35-45 guy. Basically a better version of Morgan Burnett, and part of the problem is that still would leave no one who can run a single high look well.

I feel ya, but this is not Phillip Thomas from last years class where it was a style match with Burnett yet the grade was a clear click below. Pryor might even be a hair better than Burnett IMO. I could sure as hell live with that pair back there. Would be the best in Green Bay in a very long time if ya ask me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
spilltray wrote:

me neither

I think there is a small risk of buying high with Pryor. I do feel that kids a very good/safe football player though. That staff will pound the table HARD for him as well. Don't know what you guys know about Charlie Strong. But he is not the type that will pound the table if he is not all in on the player. They were willing to go there with Pryor and clearly loved him.

Getting close, but I'm not all in on Pryor just yet. Good looking athlete and everything is functional on the field of play. Got real hot at the end there though. His later film is MUCH better than his early film. My hope is that he was just starting to "get it" and this is the type of play one can plan for in the future. LIS though, there is some risk of buying high with a prospect like that. Can't wait to talk with him. Starting to think I'm going to like that one when all is said and done.

It's not that I hate Pryor as a prospect, I just hate him as a FIRST ROUND prospect. I see him as a 35-45 guy. Basically a better version of Morgan Burnett, and part of the problem is that still would leave no one who can run a single high look well.

I'm not sure I see the Burnett comparison, and looking at their skill sets coming out, Burnett pops to me more, though maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there.

Burnett is the comp MANY are making for Pryor around the league. Not saying that's spot on but I don't see a better comp starting in the league right now. Sure as hell can see why that comp have been made, no doubt.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
spilltray wrote:

me neither

I'm not sure I see the Burnett comparison, and looking at their skill sets coming out, Burnett pops to me more, though maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there.

Burnett is the comp MANY are making for Pryor around the league. Not saying that's spot on but I don't see a better comp starting in the league right now. Sure as hell can see why that comp have been made, no doubt.

I guess for me the one thing that made Burnett who he is was his man skills. I don't see that with Pryor. I see a real good athlete, but I don't see the polish. Maybe I'm giving Burnett too much credit or Pryor not enough.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make sense really. Jumped out at me with his early film also. LIS, much of the Pryor grade will come down to if you feel he will be the player he was down the stretch in college or the player he was before. There is some risk of buying high with that one, no doubt. I'm just one that feels the light was just starting to come on with him. Think that kid might end up being a "value guy" come draft weekend to tell the truth.

I have watched a bunch of him though. I just think he was too good down the stretch for it to be a mistake. Much of my love there comes from what that staff has said though as well. Strong is on record saying Pryor might be the most natural football player he has ever coached(said he is one of the top5 best football players he has ever coached also). That man has coached a bunch of kids. LIS, also not the type that will try to sell you something that is not there just because he played for him like many other will.

Bunch of Pryor's grade comes down to how you feel about the kid though for sure.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
That would make sense really. Jumped out at me with his early film also. LIS, much of the Pryor grade will come down to if you feel he will be the player he was down the stretch in college or the player he was before. There is some risk of buying high with that one, no doubt. I'm just one that feels the light was just starting to come on with him. Think that kid might end up being a "value guy" come draft weekend to tell the truth.

I have watched a bunch of him though. I just think he was too good down the stretch for it to be a mistake. Much of my love there comes from what that staff has said though as well. Strong is on record saying Pryor might be the most natural football player he has ever coached(said he is one of the top5 best football players he has ever coached also). That man has coached a bunch of kids. LIS, also not the type that will try to sell you something that is not there just because he played for him like many other will.

Bunch of Pryor's grade comes down to how you feel about the kid though for sure.

Cross sport reference, but it sounds like you're describing Joe Alexander. Scares the hell out of me.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

that's one thing that sucks I can never take into account is the man himself. Only get to go by a little "tape" and numbers and that's probably not even half the battle compared to getting to sit down with a guy.

Getting insight like this makes him way, way more intriguing though. If there's passion, IQ and even SOME natural ability I like the odds more times than not.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's not talked about as much by the media because it's not a black and white thing like the numbers/tape are.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I think it's not talked about as much by the media because it's not a black and white thing like the numbers/tape are.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but ESPN has never had an issue filling hours and hours with the "gray areas" of sports. I can't imagine that they're struggling to prink their garbage
justo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Palmy, do teams ever track player interviews with the media (outside of combine/senior bowl settings)? Lots of agents seem to get mad when someone writes something ill about their prospect, but the media has such a small influence on most front offices that I really only think Kiper/McShay and interviews can touch teams at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Palmy, do teams ever track player interviews with the media (outside of combine/senior bowl settings)? Lots of agents seem to get mad when someone writes something ill about their prospect, but the media has such a small influence on most front offices that I really only think Kiper/McShay and interviews can touch teams at all.

YES, but like everything else it's always the sum of everything taken in.

I have been asked to talk with a wide cast over the years, teachers, ex-girlfriends, gym friends, youth friends, ect. Only thing you can do is take in as much as possible and have a little faith in others.

But yes, you always try to have your hand on what is being said in the media for sure. I mean, you don't want to draft a flag you don't know about that was talked about on main stream media. That could make for PR hell right quick!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

YES, but like everything else it's always the sum of everything taken in.

I have been asked to talk with a wide cast over the years, teachers, ex-girlfriends, gym friends, youth friends, ect. Only thing you can do is take in as much as possible and have a little faith in others.

But yes, you always try to have your hand on what is being said in the media for sure. I mean, you don't want to draft a flag you don't know about that was talked about on main stream media. That could make for PR hell right quick!!!
Pretty much what I assumed. I'm always surprised to hear how much teams really know about prospects. Sometimes it seems like you guys are with the feds or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No room for mistakes in the big leagues. Very different from college in that way. When I was at PSU(the real PSU.. Wink ) if a good kid got his degree there was a good chance that was enough to keep your job. Not the case in the NFL. I mean, my own father lost his gig with the Bills years back because Mike Williams could not put down a fork.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
No room for mistakes in the big leagues. Very different from college in that way. When I was at PSU(the real PSU.. Wink ) if a good kid got his degree there was a good chance that was enough to keep your job. Not the case in the NFL. I mean, my own father lost his gig with the Bills years back because Mike Williams could not put down a fork.
Had this talk with Sunquist about a month or so ago. You really live and die with the guys you bang the table for at that level. He told me that banging the table for John Mobley changed his career completely. If Mobley would have busted, he would have been out of a job, and might not have gotten another one in the league. Instead, the D2 first rounder made All-Pro in his sophomore season. That must be an interesting feeling to look at the roster as see "your guy".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Had this talk with Sunquist about a month or so ago. You really live and die with the guys you bang the table for at that level. He told me that banging the table for John Mobley changed his career completely. If Mobley would have busted, he would have been out of a job, and might not have gotten another one in the league. Instead, the D2 first rounder made All-Pro in his sophomore season. That must be an interesting feeling to look at the roster as see "your guy".

Ton of pride around the room for sure. That thing goes both ways though. I have lost my share of sleep over the years. Ones personal life plays a big part here as well. I'm a glass half full type of guy all day long. Some of the bad can come to mind a bit more when you have kids to feed though. I'm blessed that my wife came up around the NFL much in the same way I did(father in law still works for the Bills) and gets it. Fact is I also remember what it was like when I was a kid and don't want my kids dealing with some of the things that I did.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 7 of 25

Jump to: