Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Players the Packers "have shown interest in"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
persiandud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmy's assessment of Pryor certainly makes him more interesting. Is it a terrible idea to draft a guy who is a lot like Burnett? I believe we need a deep center fielder, someone rangy and who can make plays and create turnovers. Burnett always seemed more suited to play near the LOS. If Pyror is a natural at that position he could be our guy.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the Burnett is better suited at the LOS" argument.

He's Georgia Tech's all time INT leader. He was the center fielder of that defense. When we drafted him we had Nick Collins--we should've had two interchangeable multi-dimensional safeties. That's what we need to get back to. Take some predictability out of the defensive backfield.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:

He's Georgia Tech's all time INT leader. He was the center fielder of that defense. When we drafted him we had Nick Collins--we should've had two interchangeable multi-dimensional safeties. That's what we need to get back to. Take some predictability out of the defensive backfield.

Isn't everybody pissed about how complex the defense is? Now we're going to mix it up and make it less predictable?

Burnett wasn't the center field of that Georgia Tech defense? Just because he had a bunch of picks doesn't mean he got them playing center field. He got most of them as a LB/Corner hybrid like most great safeties play in college today.

Burnett is the new SS. He's alright against the run and should make his money in man coverage. You want him covering TEs not floating in space. That requires playing in the box, thus the SS designation.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all are dead wrong about Pryor. Check out this game tape:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/calvin-pryor-vs-ucf-2013/

He's Charlie Peprah. He'll lunge at people rather than breakdown and make a tackle. He tries to arm tackle way too often. His reaction and his ability to diagnose a play are there, but he's way too soft to be a FS. Very overrated prospect. Like Philip "Glass" Thomas, we shouldn't want this guy. Stick with a more accomplished and tougher Safety like Bucannon or Clinton-Dix.

Also, I really think we should start thinking of Dee Ford as a possible first-round pick. He went to the Senior Bowl and crushed it, he was fantastic in the NCG, and he's shooting up the boards. I wouldn't be surprised if he crushed it at the combine as well.
fan-59

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:

Isn't everybody pissed about how complex the defense is? Now we're going to mix it up and make it less predictable?

Burnett wasn't the center field of that Georgia Tech defense? Just because he had a bunch of picks doesn't mean he got them playing center field. He got most of them as a LB/Corner hybrid like most great safeties play in college today.

Burnett is the new SS. He's alright against the run and should make his money in man coverage. You want him covering TEs not floating in space. That requires playing in the box, thus the SS designation.

yep

and the duel safety roll is a lateral thing more than a vertical thing anyway, look back to the Peprah year, Collins would come up and take whomever wasn't accounted for, it's never been the other way around, we do play them distinctly different, and that will always be the same, Burnett will be the strong safety, because thats what he is, and we need to find a FS that can play single high, Burnett has had plenty of chances to fill that roll and has failed most of the time.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with NC .. lets get Ford! That guy brings it, and a better pass rush would help mask some of our deficiencies on the back end. With Clay and Perry unable to stay in the lineup together we need another top line option at OLB. I've always heard it said .. best way to help a suspect secondary is to increase the pass rush.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell no on Ford. We have enough ROLB. The kid is an undersized one trick speed rusher.
Scuba St3ve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys actually watched Dee Ford? To me the only thing he does we'll is run around the tackle. Nfl tackles are going to son this guy not too mention that he is/will be terrible against the run
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuba St3ve wrote:
Have you guys actually watched Dee Ford? To me the only thing he does we'll is run around the tackle. Nfl tackles are going to son this guy not too mention that he is/will be terrible against the run

If you think a guy is going to have an effective speed game in the pros, that's enough to take him in the third round without taking anything else into consideration.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuba St3ve wrote:

Didn't seem to play that way in the NCG. I seem to remember slipping between linemen and catching Winston when Winston stepped forward into the pocket a few times. Either way, we need depth that that position that we don't have right now. It needs to be addressed and invested in.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Scuba St3ve wrote:

Didn't seem to play that way in the NCG. I seem to remember slipping between linemen and catching Winston when Winston stepped forward into the pocket a few times. Either way, we need depth that that position that we don't have right now. It needs to be addressed and invested in.
Matthews is a ROLB, Perry has stated he's a ROLB, Mulumba so far has been a ROLB, and Palmer is too small to be anything but a ROLB. We have plenty of depth at the ROLB spot, we have nothing at the LOLB spot. Ford is not a LOLB and is therefore worthless, unless you're fine being 32nd against the run in a division with Peterson, Forte, and Bush.
Scuba St3ve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Scuba St3ve wrote:

If you think a guy is going to have an effective speed game in the pros, that's enough to take him in the third round without taking anything else into consideration.

That isn't true at all though.
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:

Not really. If all he has is a speed game, offensive lineman will simply wall him off past the quarterback until the pass rusher runs himself out of the play. If he doesn't have any countermoves, he is useless no matter how fast he is.
justo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everyone's opinion on Bruce Irvin? I think that'll tell you a lot if you like Ford and Attaochu.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scuba St3ve wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Scuba St3ve wrote:

That isn't true at all though.

CWood21 wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:

Not really. If all he has is a speed game, offensive lineman will simply wall him off past the quarterback until the pass rusher runs himself out of the play. If he doesn't have any countermoves, he is useless no matter how fast he is.

If he's consistently getting run past the quarterback, then his speed game isn't effective in the pros. You can teach countermoves, you can't teach speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 8 of 29

Jump to: