Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings hire Mike Zimmer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fishtanked


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 807
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Zim. Reply with quote

SHONUFF wrote:
If he ends up doing well then great, I really think there is some personality issue involved with him. I got the same feeling when chud was hired by the browns last season. I understand Vikings fans rational though, he was hired (can't change that) gotta hope for the best.


You should drop by the Vikings forum and check out the poll in the coaching search thread. The vast majority of fans wanted Zimmer right from the start. It's not like we are talking ourselves into liking the move... WE LOVE THE MOVE!!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48296
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Zim. Reply with quote

fishtanked wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
If he ends up doing well then great, I really think there is some personality issue involved with him. I got the same feeling when chud was hired by the browns last season. I understand Vikings fans rational though, he was hired (can't change that) gotta hope for the best.


You should drop by the Vikings forum and check out the poll in the coaching search thread. The vast majority of fans wanted Zimmer right from the start. It's not like we are talking ourselves into liking the move... WE LOVE THE MOVE!!!


Correct. If you look at most fans mock drafts, Zimmer was a common hire. Zimmer was definitely a popular choice and given the support that Bengals fans and players have given Zimmer, he was clearly a liked guy. Zimmer is well qualified to be a head coach, lets hope he bring a championship to MN!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bonanza23


Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Posts: 7510
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
Anyways not gonna make this a Vikings v. Browns thing.

Congrats Viking fan on the hire. I hope he works out.


Hey Bonanza, I love your dog! Boxers are the greatest!


Hey Uncle Buck! Unfortunately he's not mine. I had one that looked just like him. I don't have a dog at this time, but next dog will definitely be another boxer. They are indeed the greatest.
_________________

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chris00cm


Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 17082
Location: St. Charles, Missouri
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw Zim's press conference. By far the best one I've seen this off-season. Just love everything about him as a coach.
_________________


Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgX


Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 10990
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested to see how Cincinnati's defense does next year. They do have plenty of talent on defense, but it will be interesting to see just how much of their success was due to Zimmer. I bet the Bengals will still have a top defense next year, but I do expect them to regress a bit.

How does Minnesota's current defensive personnel fit what Zim likes to do scheme wise? From what I've seen and heard over the years, it's pretty much a must for defensive linemen to be able to stop the run effectively. How good are Minnesota's linemen vs. the run?
_________________
Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee



Smack on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48296
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
I'm very interested to see how Cincinnati's defense does next year. They do have plenty of talent on defense, but it will be interesting to see just how much of their success was due to Zimmer. I bet the Bengals will still have a top defense next year, but I do expect them to regress a bit.

How does Minnesota's current defensive personnel fit what Zim likes to do scheme wise? From what I've seen and heard over the years, it's pretty much a must for defensive linemen to be able to stop the run effectively. How good are Minnesota's linemen vs. the run?


As of now, MN is mediocre against the run. They will undergo a major personnel change in the front seven. In the past, MN has preferred lighter interior lineman and havent really had a true big bodied run defender on the roster since Pat Williams retired. Jared Allen and Kevin Williams probably arent likely to return since there replacements are on the roster in Everson Griffen (pending free agent) and Sharrif Floyd. Brian Robison is a good Left End, he is good at everything, elite at nothing. Nose Tackle is a huge need, MN really could use a couple of players to rotate in this spot as Zimmer seems to prefer to do.

The Linebackers need a lot of help right now. Chad Greenway is a poor fit at SLB and just doesnt seem to fit that well in Zimmer's defense. Greenway's issues could be mitigated if he were to be moved to WLB. MLB is a big need, so he is SLB.

The secondary has two real good players in LCB Xavier Rhodes and FS Harrison Smith. MN needs to find a RCB and NCB, potentially. The Vikes have a couple of Strong Safetys that seem to fit Zimmer's personality in Andrew Sendejo and Jamarca Sanford.

Realistically, the defense might need a couple of offseasons to get up to par. Here is what MN needs to make a transition from Frazier's Cover 2 to Zimmers defense.

1. Big NT
2. Starting RCB (man skills esssential)
3. Starting MLB (strong run defender)
4. Starting SLB (strong run defender)
5. Slot CB


MN has some young players like Mike Mauti, Audie Cole, Shaun Prater, Josh Robinson, and Robert Blanton who could potentially fill some of these needs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50412
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
MN has some young players like Mike Mauti, Audie Cole, Shaun Prater, Josh Robinson, and Robert Blanton who could potentially fill some of these needs.


Pulling for Mike Mauti...dont think his knees will hold up though.

I could see him being a poor mans Sean Lee....which isnt a bad thing. A poor man's Sean Lee in terms of talent is still very good....however, he will also LIKELY be more injury prone than Lee.

Hope that isnt the case though. Would love to see him have some success at this level.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishtanked


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 807
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
MN has some young players like Mike Mauti, Audie Cole, Shaun Prater, Josh Robinson, and Robert Blanton who could potentially fill some of these needs.


Pulling for Mike Mauti...dont think his knees will hold up though.

I could see him being a poor mans Sean Lee....which isnt a bad thing. A poor man's Sean Lee in terms of talent is still very good....however, he will also LIKELY be more injury prone than Lee.

Hope that isnt the case though. Would love to see him have some success at this level.


I'm hoping some of AD's Cyborgness rubs off on him. Greg Child's as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50412
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishtanked wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
MN has some young players like Mike Mauti, Audie Cole, Shaun Prater, Josh Robinson, and Robert Blanton who could potentially fill some of these needs.


Pulling for Mike Mauti...dont think his knees will hold up though.

I could see him being a poor mans Sean Lee....which isnt a bad thing. A poor man's Sean Lee in terms of talent is still very good....however, he will also LIKELY be more injury prone than Lee.

Hope that isnt the case though. Would love to see him have some success at this level.


I'm hoping some of AD's Cyborgness rubs off on him. Greg Child's as well.


Yep....really like both of them.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 15234
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
DawgX wrote:
I'm very interested to see how Cincinnati's defense does next year. They do have plenty of talent on defense, but it will be interesting to see just how much of their success was due to Zimmer. I bet the Bengals will still have a top defense next year, but I do expect them to regress a bit.

How does Minnesota's current defensive personnel fit what Zim likes to do scheme wise? From what I've seen and heard over the years, it's pretty much a must for defensive linemen to be able to stop the run effectively. How good are Minnesota's linemen vs. the run?


As of now, MN is mediocre against the run. They will undergo a major personnel change in the front seven. In the past, MN has preferred lighter interior lineman and havent really had a true big bodied run defender on the roster since Pat Williams retired. Jared Allen and Kevin Williams probably arent likely to return since there replacements are on the roster in Everson Griffen (pending free agent) and Sharrif Floyd. Brian Robison is a good Left End, he is good at everything, elite at nothing. Nose Tackle is a huge need, MN really could use a couple of players to rotate in this spot as Zimmer seems to prefer to do.

The Linebackers need a lot of help right now. Chad Greenway is a poor fit at SLB and just doesnt seem to fit that well in Zimmer's defense. Greenway's issues could be mitigated if he were to be moved to WLB. MLB is a big need, so he is SLB.

The secondary has two real good players in LCB Xavier Rhodes and FS Harrison Smith. MN needs to find a RCB and NCB, potentially. The Vikes have a couple of Strong Safetys that seem to fit Zimmer's personality in Andrew Sendejo and Jamarca Sanford.

Realistically, the defense might need a couple of offseasons to get up to par. Here is what MN needs to make a transition from Frazier's Cover 2 to Zimmers defense.

1. Big NT
2. Starting RCB (man skills esssential)
3. Starting MLB (strong run defender)
4. Starting SLB (strong run defender)
5. Slot CB


MN has some young players like Mike Mauti, Audie Cole, Shaun Prater, Josh Robinson, and Robert Blanton who could potentially fill some of these needs.


Jadaveon Clowney would sure go a long way toward filling the shoes of Jared Allen. I doubt if we would be lucky enough to see him fall to #8. Maybe one more 100 MPH speeding ticket would do it. Otherwise I think getting him is just a pipe dream.
_________________


Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74862
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer: Im determined to bring a championship to Minnesota. Ive got a chip on my shoulder. I want to make sure that 31 other teams know that Im here and Im ready to coach this football team.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan [Wilf, the Viking owners], and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion. That is my goal and that is my drive.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/17/mike-zimmer-determined-to-bring-a-championship-to-minnesota/
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48296
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck,

Clowney would be nice, but I am confident that Griffen can emerge a full time starter at Right End. Especially under Zimmer's development. This is assuming that Griffen returns to MN.

MN should be fine with Robison and Griffen for now, which means MN could target NT, MLB and CB. MN needs to shore up these three spots to move away from Frazier's defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green 01


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 1080
Location: Lockport,IL
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played baseball and wrestled at the highschool I went to. A couple of the older guys at the local watering hole knew him.
_________________

ChuckNorris101 on the sig.
Winning isn't a sometime thing.... IT'S AN ALL THE TIME THING!!!
"IT IS TIME" -Kevin Greene to Clay Matthews right before he forced the Mendenhall fumble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14930
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:

Jadaveon Clowney would sure go a long way toward filling the shoes of Jared Allen. I doubt if we would be lucky enough to see him fall to #8. Maybe one more 100 MPH speeding ticket would do it. Otherwise I think getting him is just a pipe dream.


Laughing

He would be an excellent piece to our defense, but I have a hard time believing that if we found a QB that we really like at pick #8, we absolutely have to go for him. Even a defensive minded coach would know that.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74862
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings have wrapped up their deal with new offensive coordinator, Norv Turner. Both Browns coordinators are out.

@JasonLaCanfora
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group