Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings hire Mike Zimmer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bonanza23


Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Posts: 7246
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
DawgX wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
What I find funny is the Browns are doing exactly that, waiting for teams to be eliminated. And we are being lambasted for it. Or like that vikingsdrule cat is saying nobody wants to come here Laughing

No win scenario.


If you fire a head coach after one season, youre not going to get potential coaches lining up at the door. There is no stability and that is an issue for a first year head coach.

Josh McDaniels already turned the Browns down. It seems that the candidates that might have a serious interest in coaching Cleveland are ones who might be desperate enough to be on a one year deal essentially.

Cleveland may be waiting it out for a coach on a team currently in the playoffs, but i do think there is going to be reservations of joining the Browns given what happened with Chudzinski, who seemed to be doing a fine job in his first year, given the circumstances.


Or McDaniels found out he wasn't the front runner for the job, so he said he turned down the job to save face.


So would you assume that the front runner is currently in the playoffs?

If Gase and Quinn are the top two candidates, that reconfirms my belief that no one worthwhile wants to coach the Browns. The type that are willing to go to Cleveland seem to be young coaches that most other teams deemed as being too raw. What have Gase and Quinn done as coordinators to suggest they can handle the duties of being a head coach?

I know MN interviewed these two but they were likely very low on their list of potential candidates.

Of the teams currently in the playoffs, MN seemed the most interested in Greg Roman and Tomsula. The Vikes flew to Charlotte to interview both coaches. They didnt make a separate trip to Seattle to speak with Bevell or Quinn, or to Denver to speak to Gase. Zimmer is likely more qualified then Roman and Tomsula at this point, so they went with him. MN did fly to Arizona as well and met with Todd Bowles, who seemed to be the 2nd favorite option.

Nothing about this hire was desperate.


And Zimmer is a 57 year old coach that is just NOW getting a head coach gig. What has he done to show he can handle head coaching duties? Why has it taken soooooo long to get hired. Gase or Quinn have just as much a chance to make it as Zimmer does. All of these guys do, Let's not act like he is a far superior choice to any other coordinator guy.
_________________

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bonanza23


Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Posts: 7246
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways not gonna make this a Vikings v. Browns thing.

Congrats Viking fan on the hire. I hope he works out.
_________________

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14117
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer didn't get a job not because he was under qualified for the job, but because he was very blunt to GM's/Owners and told them that their roster was crap, and GM's Owners do not want that. They want a "Yes" guy who will sugarcoat everything and won't challenge them.

and since when is being 57 years old a bad thing when he has 35 years of NFL experience, and has been doing a great job for a long time? A lot of fans seem to think that younger means better, and that simply isn't always true.
_________________

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Bonanza23


Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Posts: 7246
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine and all, I just hope you don't get LeBeau'd Laughing

And I sincerely hope it works out with him. The Vikings are one of those teams that make the NFL better when they are relevant. For the most part you have good fans. A few exceptions of course, but on the whole.
_________________

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 3440
Location: Louisiana
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being 57 is not a bad thing. Maybe for a first time HC it could be a problem, but I don't think it will be. Wasn't Pete Carroll 57/58 when the Seahawks hired him? I know it wasn't his first HC gig, just using it as an example being 57 won't be a bad thing if he's a good HC.

I also don't understand how somebody said this is a desperate hire. Zimmer clearly looked like their top choice, and rightfully so. I love his attitude though I get why he wasn't hired before because some GMs won't mesh with it.

Great hire for Minny.

EDIT: He's also a member of the Parcells coaching tree, and we all know how great that tree is. 6 Super Bowls, and if you want to be even more specific 6 out of the last 12.
_________________


PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:


Last edited by Spartica4Real on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47729
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Being 57 is not a bad thing. Maybe for a first time HC it could be a problem, but I don't think it will be. Wasn't Pete Carroll 57/58 when the Seahawks hired him? I know it wasn't his first HC gig, just using it as an example being 57 won't be a bad thing if he's a good HC.

I also don't understand how somebody said this is a desperate hire. Zimmer clearly looked like their top choice, and rightfully so. I love his attitude though I get why he wasn't hired before because some GMs won't mesh with it.

Great hire for Minny.


Age is a concern for me, which is why Zimmer was my second choice.

Teams have typically preferred the young coach route, but Zimmer does seem like a high energy coach like Pete Carroll. Carroll is old, but he was the head coach of the Jets and Patriots a decade before becoming the Seahawks head coach.

For a first time head coach, being 57 is a definite concern.

Bruce Arians was 60 when he became head coach of the Cardinals. he has his team playing well but how long will he remain in the position?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgX


Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 10897
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
DawgX wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:
What I find funny is the Browns are doing exactly that, waiting for teams to be eliminated. And we are being lambasted for it. Or like that vikingsdrule cat is saying nobody wants to come here Laughing

No win scenario.


If you fire a head coach after one season, youre not going to get potential coaches lining up at the door. There is no stability and that is an issue for a first year head coach.

Josh McDaniels already turned the Browns down. It seems that the candidates that might have a serious interest in coaching Cleveland are ones who might be desperate enough to be on a one year deal essentially.

Cleveland may be waiting it out for a coach on a team currently in the playoffs, but i do think there is going to be reservations of joining the Browns given what happened with Chudzinski, who seemed to be doing a fine job in his first year, given the circumstances.


Or McDaniels found out he wasn't the front runner for the job, so he said he turned down the job to save face.


So would you assume that the front runner is currently in the playoffs?

If Gase and Quinn are the top two candidates, that reconfirms my belief that no one worthwhile wants to coach the Browns. The type that are willing to go to Cleveland seem to be young coaches that most other teams deemed as being too raw. What have Gase and Quinn done as coordinators to suggest they can handle the duties of being a head coach?

I know MN interviewed these two but they were likely very low on their list of potential candidates.

Of the teams currently in the playoffs, MN seemed the most interested in Greg Roman and Tomsula. The Vikes flew to Charlotte to interview both coaches. They didnt make a separate trip to Seattle to speak with Bevell or Quinn, or to Denver to speak to Gase. Zimmer is likely more qualified then Roman and Tomsula at this point, so they went with him. MN did fly to Arizona as well and met with Todd Bowles, who seemed to be the 2nd favorite option.

Nothing about this hire was desperate.


And Zimmer is a 57 year old coach that is just NOW getting a head coach gig. What has he done to show he can handle head coaching duties? Why has it taken soooooo long to get hired. Gase or Quinn have just as much a chance to make it as Zimmer does. All of these guys do, Let's not act like he is a far superior choice to any other coordinator guy.


This. We have no way of knowing if Gase or Quinn would be good head coaches, but the same thing can be said about any coordinator who's never been a head coach.

The Browns weren't the only team interested in hiring Gase and/or Quinn. There could have been more teams who were interested, but they weren't willing to wait until the Seahawks or Broncos were eliminated from the playoffs to hire a head coach.

I like Zimmer and think he should be a good head coach. But I also like Quinn and Gase. It's hard to say how good of a coordinator Gase is since he's only been one this year and he's had Peyton Manning as his QB. However, being a good coordinator wouldn't necessarily make him a good head coach anyway. I have heard that Gase was highly thought of around the league prior to becoming Denver's offensive coordinator.

I know Seattle fans love Quinn and it seems like many of them think he will be a good head coach. I like Gase & Quinn much more than many of the other coaches who have been hired this offseason.
_________________
Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47729
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinn is a solid option. But he isnt clearly better than Zimmer.

I dont know what people see in Gase. He is too inexperienced as an offensive coordinator, how can his offense function without a top 3 QB of all time? Can he develop a QB, or find the coaches that are able too? Gase is getting too much credit for what Manning is doing this year. Reminds me of the Ravens hiring Brian Billick just because the 1998 Vikings offense was brilliant.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3553
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
The Browns weren't the only team interested in hiring Gase and/or Quinn. There could have been more teams who were interested, but they weren't willing to wait until the Seahawks or Broncos were eliminated from the playoffs to hire a head coach.


This whole ''not willing to wait'' thing is just untrue. The Vikings already interviewed Quinn once:

Ian Rapoport wrote:
Should be a busy and intense few days for #Seahawks DC Dan Quinn. He's interviewing with #Browns today, #Vikings on Saturday http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/1/1/5263652/minnesota-vikings-to-interview-dan-quinn-on-saturday


Quinn already interviewed with the Vikings (and the Browns). After that first round of interviews, the Vikings were only looking at 3 guys for a 2nd interview, Zimmer, Bowles and Roman. Neither Quinn nor Gase were ever reported to be part of the Vikings shortlist for HC. The idea that the Vikings settled for Zimmer is ludicrous. Never mind that he was already rumoured to be the #1 candidate from the start.
_________________

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 5573
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
Being 57 is not a bad thing. Maybe for a first time HC it could be a problem, but I don't think it will be. Wasn't Pete Carroll 57/58 when the Seahawks hired him? I know it wasn't his first HC gig, just using it as an example being 57 won't be a bad thing if he's a good HC.

I also don't understand how somebody said this is a desperate hire. Zimmer clearly looked like their top choice, and rightfully so. I love his attitude though I get why he wasn't hired before because some GMs won't mesh with it.

Great hire for Minny.


Age is a concern for me, which is why Zimmer was my second choice.

Teams have typically preferred the young coach route, but Zimmer does seem like a high energy coach like Pete Carroll. Carroll is old, but he was the head coach of the Jets and Patriots a decade before becoming the Seahawks head coach.

For a first time head coach, being 57 is a definite concern.

Bruce Arians was 60 when he became head coach of the Cardinals. he has his team playing well but how long will he remain in the position?


Feel free to send him back to us as soon as possible.

I don't get all the gloom and doom. Zimmer isn't a flashy name, but the man has been successful at every stop he's made in the NFL. Bengal fans are actually miffed that Lewis didn't get pushed out so that Zimm could be promoted to HC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent575


Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited if for no other reason than to have a head coach with a personality. If they are playing like garbage, I want to see a coach yelling at them. Tired of the Leslie Frasiers and Jim Caldwells of the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 14948
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, Zimmer was just one of several good candidates. It's all about finding someone who is a good fit for what you are looking for.

As the other teams started hiring their coaches, it did take the pressure off for the Vikings and the Browns because if the other candidates wanted a job, there was nowhere else to go. It's kind of a nice luxury if you are looking to hire someone.

If there were only one or two truly good candidates out there, and they were hired right away, then you can always second guess the idea of waiting to do a lot of interviews. Personally, I think any one of the new coaches hired this year can go on and become the next Belichick. You just never know which one it is.

Another thing that can have an effect on a coach is the environment in which he works. The management, roster, fans, and everything else can make a difference to varying degrees.

People can say that nobody wants to work for the Browns, but I think that would be an incorrect statement. If you are a coach and want to be at the top of your game, you have to be an NFL coach. There are only 32 NFL head coach positions available, so ANY team is a great destination. The key is to have enough luck to find the best fit for yourself among those 32 jobs, and be prepared and available when the opportunity presents itself.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 16241
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
Being 57 is not a bad thing. Maybe for a first time HC it could be a problem, but I don't think it will be. Wasn't Pete Carroll 57/58 when the Seahawks hired him? I know it wasn't his first HC gig, just using it as an example being 57 won't be a bad thing if he's a good HC.

I also don't understand how somebody said this is a desperate hire. Zimmer clearly looked like their top choice, and rightfully so. I love his attitude though I get why he wasn't hired before because some GMs won't mesh with it.

Great hire for Minny.


Age is a concern for me, which is why Zimmer was my second choice.

Teams have typically preferred the young coach route, but Zimmer does seem like a high energy coach like Pete Carroll. Carroll is old, but he was the head coach of the Jets and Patriots a decade before becoming the Seahawks head coach.

For a first time head coach, being 57 is a definite concern.

Bruce Arians was 60 when he became head coach of the Cardinals. he has his team playing well but how long will he remain in the position?


Don't know the PC way to say this, so I'll just say it. Zimmer unfortunately lost his wife and his kids are older. So basically he doesn't have someone at home that's going to be tugging him to quit working anytime soon. You have coaches in the league like Tom Coughlin whose 67.

The longest tenured coach in the NFL right now is Bill Belichick whose been at NE for 13-14 years. Second is Marvin Lewis whose been with the Bengals for around a decade.

So age wise, you only need to worry if he's around for a decade which appears to be pretty rare these days...
_________________
skywindO2 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Should see some Orlovsky vs Manziel this week in the battle of "who's less aware of their surroundings"

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Uncle Buck


Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 14948
Location: Viking Country
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
Anyways not gonna make this a Vikings v. Browns thing.

Congrats Viking fan on the hire. I hope he works out.


Hey Bonanza, I love your dog! Boxers are the greatest!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RedGreenShow


Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1674
Location: Nati
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Vikings may have vaulted over the Rams as my second favourite team.

Thats how much I love Zim Laughing
_________________
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group