Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What do we do with Rivera?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: What do we do with Rivera? Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/13/panthers-have-a-decision-to-make-on-ron-rivera/

If we do nothing, Rivera will be entering the final year of his deal, essentially becoming a lame duck (not unlike Foxy when we were the worst team in the league).

The article goes into details but our options are:

Lame Duck
Band-aid 1 year extention
Long Term extention

What would you guys do? Firing him is obviously out of the question. I would give him a one year band aid, see what we do next year, and then go long term if the results are strong enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this year saved his job and gave him another year try out, but this year will prove to be if he's the long term solution in Carolina. Let him coach out the next year, if it appears things are clicking on all cylinders; we resign him. If not, we move on.

It's all about consistency though. Rivera has had us competing for the majority of the games he's coached us under; this year he took the step to get over that losing close game mentality. If Rivera can have another 11+ win season, Cam shows more progression, and does not have a completely collapse of the team like we normally do after successful years; we have to keep Rivera for the long term because he's working.

The media says that Gettleman is high on Rivera and has faith in him. So, I can't see anything happening this offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say let him be a lame duck. Put some pressure to him to win consistently.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:

Lame duck means he's just going to be here and know he's going to be fired at the end of next season. That didn't work well for Fox when we let him go. I don't care to go 2-14 again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:

Lame duck means he's just going to be here and know he's going to be fired at the end of next season. That didn't work well for Fox when we let him go. I don't care to go 2-14 again.

That's true, I guess even if we let him play out his deal, it is more of a "proove it" year than a lame duck year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from watching the press conference today I would expect an extension this offseason. It's a pretty good watch go to panthers.com Gettleman is a funny guy. Expect Cam to get long term deal sometime. Hardy will depend on cap and how much he wants.

Thanks CK
shaX 07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:

I think this is a very different situation than it was with Fox's last year.

First of all, everyone pretty much knew that Fox was getting fired at the end of the season no matter what.

Secondly, we pretty much knew that the lockout was going to happen and thus Richardson didn't spend any money at all to try and keep any players or sign anybody with talent for the 2010 season. What hurt that even more was the fact that we had a horrendous 2010 draft.

I don't think this a lame duck year for Rivera. I do think they should let his contract be and see what he does next year after going 12-4. If we crumble than I think he is out and Gettleman will hand pick his own head coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might give him a contract. The amount of pressure that was on him this year was staggering, to the point where some didn't think he would make it past the bye. The only thing I'm cautious is if it was a one year wonder thing or not to the point where I would almost want to put the pressure on again and let him coach his last year and wait til the end to see if I give him a contract or not.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
rjkilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say he's had plenty of time. built a playoff team. now win a playoff game and get a contract extension. i don't want to get stuck in another 10 yr tenured HC with mediocre results a la john fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
i'd say he's had plenty of time. built a playoff team. now win a playoff game and get a contract extension. i don't want to get stuck in another 10 yr tenured HC with mediocre results a la john fox

While I agree with a lot of that, there's absolutely no reason to leave him dangling on a one year deal, either. Give him a two year extension and move on.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with a 2 year extension. he made me a believer this year (even though I wanted him fired after the cardinals game) and I don't see how changing a hc again will make us any better. our d is crazy good, his last 3 1st round picks have been hr's and we are loads better now than we were when he took over. we have the talent. now we need the experience. I say keep him. there's a reason the browns suck and it's bc they along with the raiders change hcs like dirty underwear.

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: