Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OC Candidates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: OC Candidates Reply with quote

I know Reich is seen as the favorite, but there's also a chance he says with his buddy buddy who brought him over here over in Tennessee as their OC instead of ours. So the question is, who are some other options out there that we could go after to call plays?

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Bucs QBs coach John McNulty is a "name to watch" as Titans offensive coordinator.
The Titans just hired Ken Whisenhunt as head coach Monday. McNulty was part of Whisenhunt's staff in Arizona, serving as quarterbacks coach in 2012. He was previously Arizona's wide receivers coach for three seasons under Whisenhunt. McNulty then jetted to Tampa Bay to work for pal Greg Schiano in 2013. McNulty served as Rutgers OC in 2008. Whisenhunt will likely call his own plays in Tennessee, so the OC hire isn't as important

We might be safe.

I could also see a situation where a token OC is hired, and McCoy decides to take over the play calling.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Bucs QBs coach John McNulty is a "name to watch" as Titans offensive coordinator.
The Titans just hired Ken Whisenhunt as head coach Monday. McNulty was part of Whisenhunt's staff in Arizona, serving as quarterbacks coach in 2012. He was previously Arizona's wide receivers coach for three seasons under Whisenhunt. McNulty then jetted to Tampa Bay to work for pal Greg Schiano in 2013. McNulty served as Rutgers OC in 2008. Whisenhunt will likely call his own plays in Tennessee, so the OC hire isn't as important

We might be safe.

I could also see a situation where a token OC is hired, and McCoy decides to take over the play calling.

I was wondering about that as well. I dont have a problem with him coming in calling the plays, but it would definitely be interesting, given that was one of the conditions of the job last year that they wanted him to bring someone else in because of what Norv ended up doing with the offense IIRC.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can block Reich from leaving regardless can't we?

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
We can block Reich from leaving regardless can't we?

Probably. IIRC, position coaches usually get signed to two-year contracts, so it's very likely that he's still under contract with the Chargers.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found the rule, but couldn't copy and paste it. An assistant coach going for a HC spot can't be blocked because it's considered a promotion. Coordinator positions are considered lateral moves, and teams can block lateral moves.

kramxel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how well Reich would go about handling playcalling responsabilities, or if McCoy would take over that....

But I think it's clear he all want him back.
kramxel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24400795/finding-coordinators-can-be-tougher-than-finding-head-coaches

According to this, Chargers can block it....

And staying true to that, Norval is free to leave...

Watch out, boys! Wink Rolling Eyes

P.S: Just remembered Chud is available now, it's amazing the ammount of coordinator choices ou there, seems like an unusual number of them...
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Rapoport wrote:
QB coach Frank Reich has signed a deal to become their offensive coordinator, per source. No surprise. Takes over for Whisenhunt

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/423231890644951041

Looks like it's done. Hope he is as good of an OC as he was as a QB coach.

Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Ian Rapoport wrote:
QB coach Frank Reich has signed a deal to become their offensive coordinator, per source. No surprise. Takes over for Whisenhunt

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/423231890644951041

Looks like it's done. Hope he is as good of an OC as he was as a QB coach.

Good, glad to hear that we're not going to lose many people along with Whiz.

MrDrew wrote:
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see whiz go, he did a great job. I feel however that if he was doing the play calling that there were many times that I wanted to kick him in the butt. 1st and 1 and cant get it in. Execution had something to do with that but I can remember a handful of times this season that I was like "we ran what, are you kidding me??" So, if Whiz was calling the plays I think we will be ok with another play caller. I think that Frank will make a good OC even if he calls the plays. I hope that they give Rivers alot of the freedom at the line of scrimmage to change it up that he had this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: