Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ken Whisenhunt - What are we getting ourselves into?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Ken Whisenhunt - What are we getting ourselves into? Reply with quote

Tennessee just hired Wiz as our HC and I was wondering if I could get all of your super-educated opinions on Wiz as a HC.

Personally, I am far from thrilled with the hire. Based on what I know from his time in Zona, he was unable to do anything post-Warner and kind of lost the locker room over the last couple years with his indecision and playing favorites.

Obviously you all know better than I do, so I want to know all of your thoughts and opinions of Wiz as a HC.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised he took the job. From what ive read, the lions were in hot pursuit of him and they have a better foundation as well as a QB. Whiz is close-minded and loyal. He tried to fit a square peg in a round hole with Kolb who wasn't a good fit for the system. He is extremely loyal in that he stuck with Mike Miller as OC even though he was arguably the worst in the league (he's in the CFL now). In fact, he wouldnt take the Browns job last yr bc he wanted Miller as his OC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say I don't like the fit with Tennessee. I thought he fit great with Detriot and thought he should've taken that job because it just made more sense. He wouldn't of had to develop a QB which he obviously struggled with. But I will say we never gave him a whole lot of talent o work with either

I mean Kolb was good-when he played. Then the likes of Max Hall, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson and Ron Bartel. I mean that's not a whole lot of quality talent there. At least with Jake Locker the talent and potential is there.

I will say though, I have absolutely no sour thoughts about Whiz. He is a great coach and I would not have been mad if he was our coach this year. I tend to pin most of the blame on Graves the GM.

He normally has a terrible taste in offensive coordinators but he is normally the one calling the plays anyway. If you guys can extract Ray Horton, I would be more than pleased if I were you guys. Other minds that I would suspect would get a call would be a Louie Cioffi or any of the Steelers assistant coaches. And I know that it is probably not possible (And I think I am probably the minority here too) if someway Todd Haley would come, as a Titans fan I would not be any happier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ge will destroy the team even more then it is.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see him destroying anything in Tennessee unless somehow he got too much influence on the personnel decision making. Also - don't put too firm a stamp on a guy on his 2nd go-around - sometimes a step back from being the head coach allows him to learn from his mistakes.

Hopefully, btw, he knows that his handling of the Darnell Dockett situation near the end of 2012 was a mistake - he clearly lost the team the game after that. However, with the amount of losing - whether it was due to injuries, the QB situation, or whatever - it seemed the team was just in need of a reboot. I was in favor of that just being Rod Graves - but bringing in Bruce Arians has been a great move along with Keim.

As for the Titans situation:

Whiz will immediately come in and make guys accountable - although he may not always recognize very quickly who needs to start and who should be on the bench. Same goes with recognizing who his coordinators need to be - Todd Haley was a solid selection off the bat - but it took him a couple tries to find Ray Horton at DC. Then when Haley leaves he selects Mike Miller - and I thought they really missed the fiery nature of Haley at that point, but Whiz seemed to like working with him a lot. I have no doubt, however, that if the performance wasn't there and they improved the talent level on offense, that he would have moved on from Miller the way he moved on from Billy Davis (but again maybe not quickly enough).

There's a decent amount of talent there in Tennessee - more than a lot of people recognize (especially on defense). Also, let's be honest, Nashville is a better place to live than Detroit. Also the AFC is ripe for an up-and-coming team - I can see overall why Whiz would choose Tennessee. That said, how does Whiz handle their offense - he has handled a scrambling QB in Ben Roethlisberger, so I guess that compares to Jake Locker - but I'm interested to see if anyone can help Locker improve his accuracy (which has been an issue since he played at UW). His offense, if executed well, should open up plenty of room for the running game - Locker certainly can get it down the field. Overall I'm really interested to see how this turns out.
Plucky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say overall he did great, I mean he took us to the superbowl. I just hope he learns that he needs to start his rookies and let them learn. This wait and see approach and holding back your talent doesn't really work too well in this day and age in football.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully he has been humbled by his ending here and will not be as stubborn.

A great coach who helped with the culture change here in AZ, wish him the best of luck going forward.

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, just read that Leinart said that all the success was because of Warner.

StChamp appropriately said in response file this under "Opinions that don't mean a damn thing"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect an offense that uses the pass to maybe set up the run...and expect that to yield only ~35% to 40% running plays. It's who he is as a playcaller. When he gets a QB capable of making most throws with a high level of accuracy, he looks like a near-genius. However, when the QB struggles with accuracy and/or the ability to make all the throws, you're going to wish he'd run the ball more, but he still won't...and it's very, very frustrating.

Defensively, I'm not exactly sold on him totally being a 3-4 guy. My gut tells me he most likely favors an attacking style of play, but that the D coordinator is free to run his own system, whether 3-4 or 4-3, as long as it fits the team and, of course, works. Not really positive about his defensive philosophies though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for the Titans fans as Whisenhunt was awful in Arizona (Dennis Green built the Super Bowl roster).

1) He forces his system on his players

2) He has an awful taste in coordinators

3) He runs an old school system

4) He is not a good depth chart manager (as in position battles).

NFL-
- Arizona Cardinals
- Green Bay Packers
- Another team TBD
NCAA
-Clemson Tigers
-Michigan Wolverines
MLB-
-New York Yankees
NBA
Miami Heat
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCPackersFan wrote:
I feel sorry for the Titans fans as Whisenhunt was awful in Arizona (Dennis Green built the Super Bowl roster).

1) He forces his system on his players

2) He has an awful taste in coordinators

3) He runs an old school system

4) He is not a good depth chart manager (as in position battles).

Lies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: