You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Keith Wenning - QB - Ball State

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Keith Wenning - QB - Ball State Reply with quote

Had a quick look over two games and I have come away nothing but impressed with the play of Wenning. My quick notes came away with this;

- Good, not great arm, not going to jump of the screen, but going to get the job done. Ball does not float or flutter on vertical routes, throws a nice spiral.
- Accurate on short and intermediate routes. Deep Ball iffy, threw it very well vs Eastern Michigan, not so well vs Miami(OH)
- Works through progressions well, holds in pocket scans field, makes throw.
- Footwork, fast and clean when the need is there. Steps into throws.
- Quick release, gets the ball out when he makes his decision.
- Mainly shotgun, spread O QB, but does take snaps under center. QB Sneaks mainly. Is OK with the QB/C exchange point though.
- Sells playaction well.
- Not under a lot of duress. Holds in the pocket well even when it is closing around him, but not a lot of throws under pressure.
- Not going to jump off the screen with athleticism, pocket passer.
- Tall, good height, looks a little thin, but can put on a bit of muscle.
- A few poor decisions to throw into traffic was Eastern Michigan, pretty clean day vs Miami(OH)

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/keith-wenning-vs-eastern-michigan-2013/
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/keith-wenning-vs-miami-oh-2013/

Would love to hear some other takes on Wenning, but I really like the kid. Anybody else seen other games from him? His play under duress?

I came away from these two games thinking; Whats not to like?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a guy that I would love the Packers to take a flier on. Perfect type of QB for our system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's my fave late round quarterback. Poor man's David Fales, but he's really not too far off. Nice timing, very good accuracy and ball placement, like Fales he has good velocity in the short/intermediate range but isn't a stellar deep ball thrower, he just plays a little heavier on his feet in the pocket and has a few more mechanical issues like inconsistent weight transfer and some down field throws came off his back foot. Also has a tendency to force the throw in the face of pressure rather than evade the rush.

Ideal late 6th/early 7th round pick as a back-up or QB3 with back-up potential sooner rather than later. Exact type of QB I would want going into games if my starter got knocked out in the 2nd quarter.

I actually have a 5th round grade on him, which is probably higher than he will go, but if a capable back-up QB was a need/priority I wouldn't hesitate in the late 5th on Wenning. For me, he is ahead of some bigger names like Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, and Logan Thomas.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue right now taking this kid in the 2nd round. Very polished passer. Vision and accuracy. Throws guys open on all three levels.

Guys that can consistently beat good coverage are not easy to find.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I have no issue right now taking this kid in the 2nd round. Very polished passer. Vision and accuracy. Throws guys open on all three levels.

2nd round is pretty high... he's not that special.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
khodder wrote:

2nd round is pretty high... he's not that special.

He has special accuracy and ball placement. What in your opinion, is holding him back right now that would mean you would only draft him in the 5th-6th rounds of the draft?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:

You have no problem taking a guy who will be lucky to be drafted at all, in the 2nd round?
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAJags wrote:
khodder wrote:

You have no problem taking a guy who will be lucky to be drafted at all, in the 2nd round?

I personally, at this stage of my evaluation, still waiting on more games, would be fine with drafting him in the 2nd round.

How do you know he "will be lucky to be drafted at all"? Do you have massive inside connections with each and every team in the NFL?

Or do you just not know the name?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
What in your opinion, is holding him back right now that would mean you would only draft him in the 5th-6th rounds of the draft?

He's heavy footed. Doesn't throw the deep ball that well. Doesn't throw to the sideline often. Locks onto his primary receiver from the get-go.

Last edited by jshowers on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
jshowers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to get some hype based on his good showing at Shrine practice.

I don't have him "graded" higher, per say, but I prefer Wenning to some more highly regarded QB prospects. He's just a very sound passer all around. Tools aren't great, but flaws are minimal.
lod01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAJags wrote:
khodder wrote:

If scouts and GMs are competent, this guy is drafted no later than day 3. I also would take this guy over the bigger names. The 'big names' are not worth where they are going to be picked.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: