Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

27th overall pick (Draft talk thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jones a lot just not sure about taking an ILB at 27. I'd do it of course if they think it is best and Rob wants more athleticism at ILB. I would love Matthews there too.

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
Raves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we draft Robert Meachem at #27?

Also I still really think we need a WR. Apparently Jordan Matthews has been killing it and although not a 1st rounder right now, the Wisconsin WR is supposed to be looking really good right now too.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
krewebrees

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jones but 27 seems to high. Ryan definitely knows what he's doing so if he is the pick I can live with it, but I would much rather we waited until the 3rd or 2nd if we really wanted him. A lot of people see Mathews as a 2nd, but I would actually like him at 27. He played against some of the best defenses in the league and still broke 2 sec records (yards and receptions). I like Grant if we can't land a top receiver in the first two rounds.

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
I like Jones but 27 seems to high. Ryan definitely knows what he's doing so if he is the pick I can live with it, but I would much rather we waited until the 3rd or 2nd if we really wanted him. A lot of people see Mathews as a 2nd, but I would actually like him at 27. He played against some of the best defenses in the league and still broke 2 sec records (yards and receptions). I like Grant if we can't land a top receiver in the first two rounds.

I'm thinking/ hoping a team double dips in the first round. Then The Saints can pick both in the second round and score some low round picks.
Porter22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones is exactly the kind of player I want to draft this year. He would be great next to Lofton and I wouldn't mind picking him in the 2nd round.

We're talking about it every year, but a trade down would be perfect for the Saints this year. We won't get a blue chip player, but there is so much talent at positions of need and with 2 second round picks and maybe even another 3rd or 4th round pick, we could find the last missing pieces.

QB Drew Brees -

DB Patrick Robinson -
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones would be an awesome pick.....but not in the 1st.

I think if we trade down, picking him in the 2nd wouldn't be a bad option. It would probably indicate the end of Hawthorne.

Grant would be an awesome pick for us. He reminds me so much of Jennings.

Still think we need a CB, S and an OLB.

Interesting to see what we do. So many options.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Raves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option we haven't discussed is Ryan Shazier. Although he's been looked primarily as a 3-4 OLB, I think he would be amazing as an ILB in Rob Ryan's scheme. He can shoot the gaps, amazing in run support, adequate in pass protection, and can even shift to OLB in both a 4-3 or 3-4 as needed.

Real sleeper pick there.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Another option we haven't discussed is Ryan Shazier. Although he's been looked primarily as a 3-4 OLB, I think he would be amazing as an ILB in Rob Ryan's scheme. He can shoot the gaps, amazing in run support, adequate in pass protection, and can even shift to OLB in both a 4-3 or 3-4 as needed.

Real sleeper pick there.

Raves... I get that your an Ohio State fan and I admit that I find Shazier to be a stud... but in the 34? I just don't see it. Even in Ryan multi verse schemes, the dude is 220-225 lbs at best! He is fantastic with his range but the Clemson game exposed what little anchor he has.

I see Shazier a lot like David of Tampa... a GREAT player in a great scheme fit... sadly it's just not with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Raves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:

Real sleeper pick there.

Raves... I get that your an Ohio State fan and I admit that I find Shazier to be a stud... but in the 34? I just don't see it. Even in Ryan multi verse schemes, the dude is 220-225 lbs at best! He is fantastic with his range but the Clemson game exposed what little anchor he has.

I see Shazier a lot like David of Tampa... a GREAT player in a great scheme fit... sadly it's just not with us.

I've rarely brought up Ohio State players, especially lately, and have even expressed a concern with some of them so please don't try to use my College fandom for choices in picks else I'll do the same with you.

Shazier was trying to do way too much in the Clemson game. Even at 230, his size isn't the problem as he's extremely solid, it's more him trying to do too much in the game. Considering the RBs he's taken down during his time, cold, including IIRC once or twice in the Clemson game where he stopped someone stone cold from gaining on short yardage, he can be great.

Now I'm not saying he is a player we have to pick, I'm saying he is a sleeper pick at that position due to his versatility. I see him more as a 3-4 ILB than an OLB due to his size. That might not sound right, but based on his playing style it fits better than you might think. Just giving more options of what might happen at that pick.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:

Real sleeper pick there.

I've rarely brought up Ohio State players, especially lately, and have even expressed a concern with some of them so please don't try to use my College fandom for choices in picks else I'll do the same with you.

Shazier was trying to do way too much in the Clemson game. Even at 230, his size isn't the problem as he's extremely solid, it's more him trying to do too much in the game. Considering the RBs he's taken down during his time, cold, including IIRC once or twice in the Clemson game where he stopped someone stone cold from gaining on short yardage, he can be great.

Now I'm not saying he is a player we have to pick, I'm saying he is a sleeper pick at that position due to his versatility. I see him more as a 3-4 ILB than an OLB due to his size. That might not sound right, but based on his playing style it fits better than you might think. Just giving more options of what might happen at that pick.

Ok, 1st everyone on here knows that your a Ohio State fan so let's not get that twisted. It wasn't about you bringing them up it's just common knowledge here that you root for Ohio State. 2nd, as far as me being partial to certain players from certain programs... I'm not a college football (program) fan. I actually have no allegiances to any school. I do prefer the SEC but only due to the fact that it produces such an array of NFL talent but I also follow the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, etc.

Now back to Shaizer... I do feel he's a stud but I just simply disagree with you about him being scheme versatile. I feel he would be overmatched in a 34 alignment but I also feel he'd excel as a weak side 43 backer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I've rarely brought up Ohio State players

That's not an accurate statement, Raves. Seems like every season you've got a guy from OSU that you're pimping and saying the Saints should draft.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -
Raves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Raves wrote:

That's not an accurate statement, Raves. Seems like every season you've got a guy from OSU that you're pimping and saying the Saints should draft.

Maybe in the past, and some of them have definitely warranted it. This season I've pretty much stayed away from them outside of bringing them up for discussion.

Bradley Roby came into the season as the #1 CB and us having a need at CB so yes I mentioned him. Watching him this season he was subpar and outside of a possibility due to need, haven't pimped him.

This time I just mentioned a player that I felt could be a sleeper and got accused that it was only due to me be being an Ohio State fan. I watched him a lot this year so I felt he was worth discussing, my college fandom only game me insight into his game and didn't need to be brought up. If I watched a lot of games for other teams I probably would be mentioning players from those teams as well, but I didn't so I'm trying to discuss based on what I've seen, not just read.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Raves wrote:

Maybe in the past, and some of them have definitely warranted it. This season I've pretty much stayed away from them outside of bringing them up for discussion.

Bradley Roby came into the season as the #1 CB and us having a need at CB so yes I mentioned him. Watching him this season he was subpar and outside of a possibility due to need, haven't pimped him.

This time I just mentioned a player that I felt could be a sleeper and got accused that it was only due to me be being an Ohio State fan. I watched him a lot this year so I felt he was worth discussing, my college fandom only game me insight into his game and didn't need to be brought up. If I watched a lot of games for other teams I probably would be mentioning players from those teams as well, but I didn't so I'm trying to discuss based on what I've seen, not just read.

Yeah I definitely don't mind you bringing up sleepers but you do sometimes let it cloud your judgment. You've refused to give up on Malcolm Jenkins because he's an OSU alum and have pimped up guys past their value in prior drafts before.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Raves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Raves wrote:

Yeah I definitely don't mind you bringing up sleepers but you do sometimes let it cloud your judgment. You've refused to give up on Malcolm Jenkins because he's an OSU alum and have pimped up guys past their value in prior drafts before.

Me not giving up on Jenkins isn't because he's an tOSU alum but because he hasn't been that bad. I've had no issues with wanting to move on from Will Smith and he helped Ohio State with a National Championship.

Also I really haven't pimped anyone past their value, and you did prove my point of the past, not the present. Just saying. Oh, btw I was the one that was pimping Jimmy Graham in the 3rd round when he was coming out. I pimp who I think is going to be a very good player.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and you got into many arguments about Jonathan Hankins, you proclaimed he was a 1st round pick and I said he was a mid-late 2nd rounder.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: