Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off-season plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaFell and Ginn will never be confused for superstars, but you can't just throw 1200 yards and 10 TD's out the window.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Toughguy77 wrote:
Conquest8089 wrote:
Charles Godfrey's heading straight for a June 1 Cut saving 5.0 M against the cap.

Resign Greg Hardy is priority number 1. Apply the Franchise Tag guaranteeing him $ 12.25 M in 2014 & then work out a long term deal. It will get pricey.

Next Cam Newton's contract extension must be addressed. After exercising his 2015 Option for $ 14.0 M, seek to extend him voiding that & leaving the initial part of his deal intact.

Then focus on Mike Mitchell over Captain. Safeties are hard to find & Captain's a nickel corner that will get overpaid by a team that struggles to cover slot WRs (Oakland). He gets exposed outside.

I think you let Ginn & LaFell go, look for an upgrade at WR. I'd target Hakeem Nicks on a 1 year prove it type deal.

Then Draft will focus on OL, CB, TE. How about this mock?

Extend:
QB Cam Newton
DE Greg Hardy

Resign:
QB Derek Anderson
OT Jordan Gross
S Mike Mitchell

28. Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee
60. Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
92. Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
126. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
162. Larry Webster DE Bloomsburg
199. Brent Urban DT Virginia (Switch to OG)
221. Dexter McDougle CB Maryland

I really don't see us letting them walk, I think its either one or the other. As for Cooks, I don't see him falling to us at 92, I think he'll go significantly lower

We aren't cutting either, both are free agents.

I meant letting them walk I don't know why I said cut

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
LaFell and Ginn will never be confused for superstars, but you can't just throw 1200 yards and 10 TD's out the window.

You can if you can get the same prodution out of a single reciever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
panther dude wrote:
Brandon LaFell is a fine receiver when you have Greg Olsen and Steve Smith. He is a good intermediate range option, he's a fine route runner and an excellent blocker down the field which is great for our screens and big plays for guys like Ted Ginn.

Our problem is we are expecting him to be a big play receiver because Steve Smith isn't that guy anymore. We cant expect LaFell to be that guy because he isn't.

I disagree. This fine route runner has not been seen much this season. Yes, he is a fantastic run blocker, but his primary job is to catch. That is a job that he is not good at all. He had the most drops this season than any other seasons, and he lacks the speed to get any sort of separation on those intermediate routes. At this point he is no better than Keary Colbert was back in the day, so he definitely needs to go.

He had some bad drops this season, but I credit that to a lack of focus more so than having bad hands. He is a fine catcher he just needs to secure the catch before looking to make his move more. He's a young receiver, things will slow down for him. And everyonehas been saying he is too slow all season. Yet somehow he manages to get open and make plays. His route running and size allows him to create separation from the defender to grab receptions. He's no Ted Ginn, but he's not Dwayne Jarrett either like some have made him out to be.

Next year will be his fifth year in the league. How much does he need to grow in order to get over his focus issue? If the goal is to have a true #2 receiver, then Lafell is not what we are looking for.

^^Peppers90^^
panther dude

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every player in the league has moments of loss of focus which causes them to screw up, it's not an issue unique to him. Steve Smith had a ton of key drops this season, yet none of us write him off as a bad receiver. It happens to everyone, we need to stop acting like he's the only one who drops the football.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
Every player in the league has moments of loss of focus which causes them to screw up, it's not an issue unique to him. Steve Smith had a ton of key drops this season, yet none of us write him off as a bad receiver. It happens to everyone, we need to stop acting like he's the only one who drops the football.

It's because of what he's done prior to this year. His body of work lets him off the hook.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of Allen Robinson in the first?
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers will receive a 7th round pick for Jon Beason.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/14/4610967/panthers-compensation-for-jon.html#.UtXT1H-9KK0
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

We can't even get that out of our #1 receiver right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
boondock wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:

We can't even get that out of our #1 receiver right now.

Yep, so we need to find at least one reciever that can get us that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: My guesses Reply with quote

I think we extend Rivera and lock up Cam for 5-6 years at about $15m per season.

We do not re-sign Hardy. We try, but cannot come up with the money he wants. (Sure, it is a big loss, but Alexander, Addison, Horton are not bad. It will mean more blitzing, for the most part)

We re-sign Gross and Wharton to 1-year deals.
We re-sign Munnerlyn, Mitchell, and Ginn.

We basically clean house at WR (Hixon, Lafell,) and CB (Thomas, Norman, Florence)

We have 1 major free agent signing: Hakeem Nicks. WR for about $3.5 million per--a deal if you consider his upside.

We draft:
OT
WR
CB
DE
RB
SS
DT
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nicks is a different has been player since the injuries. Would stay away from him.

Thanks CK
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
I think Nicks is a different has been player since the injuries. Would stay away from him.

It's injuries though. I don't think he's going to get the payout he wants, but could see him getting a modest 4-5M contract over 1-2 years to prove himself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
johnydtarheel wrote:

It's injuries though. I don't think he's going to get the payout he wants, but could see him getting a modest 4-5M contract over 1-2 years to prove himself.

I am good with signing Nicks as long as we spend either a 1st or 2nd rounder on a WR as well. A Nicks/Benjamin combo would be a nice addition to our arsenal, a lot better than LaFell/Ginn.

I would like to keep Ginn as a returner/deep threat too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
boondock wrote:
johnydtarheel wrote:

I am good with signing Nicks as long as we spend either a 1st or 2nd rounder on a WR as well. A Nicks/Benjamin combo would be a nice addition to our arsenal, a lot better than LaFell/Ginn.

I would like to keep Ginn as a returner/deep threat too.

Is it sad that I feel this senario would be a drastic improvement on our WR corps, yet I believe that corps would be average at best.(At least the first year) Laughing

No wonder Cam gets tunnel vision sometimes.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: