Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off-season plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
RB: DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Kenjon Barner

Can't dump either contract and Barner is probably seen as a future guy, so..

Williams' contract would actually be an easy, clean dump as a June 1st designation.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Quote:
UNRESTRICTED (21)
WR Domenik Hixon - Released
WR Brandon LaFell - Released
WR Ted Ginn Jr. - 2 year deal
QB Derek Anderson - 1 year deal
QB Jimmy Clausen * - Released
TE Ben Hartsock - Released
OL Jordan Gross (contract automatically voids if on roster Feb. 7) - Retires
OL Geoff Hangartner - Released
OL Travelle Wharton - 1 year deal
OL Garry Williams * - 1 year deal
OL Bruce Campbell * - released

DE Greg Hardy - 6 year max deal
DT Colin Cole - released
LB Jordan Senn - 2 year deal
LB Jason Williams - released
LB Dan Connor - relased
S Quintin Mikell - released
S Mike Mitchell - 2 year deal
CB Captain Munnerlyn - relased
CB Drayton Florence - released

K Graham Gano - 3 year deal

*-denotes player who ended season on injured reserve

These are all of our free agents during this upcoming offseason

My prediction for who we keep and who goes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We NEED to get rid of LaFell. I'm sick of him.
And we need to get 2 WR this offseason. I am all for a big signing and a 1st round pick. Sick of no one getting open.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Cypher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
And we need to get 2 WR this offseason. I am all for a big signing and a 1st round pick. Sick of no one getting open.

I'm in favor of letting LaFell walk only if we can get a receiver that can actually block. LaFell is a terrific blocker and if we let him go without a replacement our run game could really suffer.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
panther dude

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon LaFell is a fine receiver when you have Greg Olsen and Steve Smith. He is a good intermediate range option, he's a fine route runner and an excellent blocker down the field which is great for our screens and big plays for guys like Ted Ginn.

Our problem is we are expecting him to be a big play receiver because Steve Smith isn't that guy anymore. We cant expect LaFell to be that guy because he isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Charles Godfrey's heading straight for a June 1 Cut saving 5.0 M against the cap.

Resign Greg Hardy is priority number 1. Apply the Franchise Tag guaranteeing him $ 12.25 M in 2014 & then work out a long term deal. It will get pricey.

Next Cam Newton's contract extension must be addressed. After exercising his 2015 Option for $ 14.0 M, seek to extend him voiding that & leaving the initial part of his deal intact.

Then focus on Mike Mitchell over Captain. Safeties are hard to find & Captain's a nickel corner that will get overpaid by a team that struggles to cover slot WRs (Oakland). He gets exposed outside.

I think you let Ginn & LaFell go, look for an upgrade at WR. I'd target Hakeem Nicks on a 1 year prove it type deal.

Then Draft will focus on OL, CB, TE. How about this mock?

Extend:
QB Cam Newton
DE Greg Hardy

Resign:
QB Derek Anderson
OT Jordan Gross
S Mike Mitchell

28. Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee
60. Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
92. Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
126. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
162. Larry Webster DE Bloomsburg
199. Brent Urban DT Virginia (Switch to OG)
221. Dexter McDougle CB Maryland

I really don't see us cutting both, I think its either one or the other. As for Cooks, I don't see him falling to us at 92, I think he'll go significantly lower
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
Brandon LaFell is a fine receiver when you have Greg Olsen and Steve Smith. He is a good intermediate range option, he's a fine route runner and an excellent blocker down the field which is great for our screens and big plays for guys like Ted Ginn.

Our problem is we are expecting him to be a big play receiver because Steve Smith isn't that guy anymore. We cant expect LaFell to be that guy because he isn't.

I disagree. This fine route runner has not been seen much this season. Yes, he is a fantastic run blocker, but his primary job is to catch. That is a job that he is not good at all. He had the most drops this season than any other seasons, and he lacks the speed to get any sort of separation on those intermediate routes. At this point he is no better than Keary Colbert was back in the day, so he definitely needs to go.

Most Valuable Poster

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Gettleman, the Panthers will be facing cap problems for the next 2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:

I'm in favor of letting LaFell walk only if we can get a receiver that can actually block. LaFell is a terrific blocker and if we let him go without a replacement our run game could really suffer.

What run game? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft this year is going to be crucial. We are going to have somewhat of an exodus of older players leaving the team in the next 1-2 years and will be trying to sign core players coming up on contracts. In order to do this, we will need young players, cheap players, that can contribute to the team in a positive way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
panther dude wrote:

I disagree. This fine route runner has not been seen much this season. Yes, he is a fantastic run blocker, but his primary job is to catch. That is a job that he is not good at all. He had the most drops this season than any other seasons, and he lacks the speed to get any sort of separation on those intermediate routes. At this point he is no better than Keary Colbert was back in the day, so he definitely needs to go.

He had some bad drops this season, but I credit that to a lack of focus more so than having bad hands. He is a fine catcher he just needs to secure the catch before looking to make his move more. He's a young receiver, things will slow down for him. And everyonehas been saying he is too slow all season. Yet somehow he manages to get open and make plays. His route running and size allows him to create separation from the defender to grab receptions. He's no Ted Ginn, but he's not Dwayne Jarrett either like some have made him out to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we are forgetting about is that Gettleman will probably look to restructure some guys to take some of the cap load off. I believe a lot of teams are having to do this based on the new CBA that was signed a few years back. They are having to take pre-CBA contracts and find ways to make them friendly now.

Rookies are cheaper now, so more veterans are expecting to be paid more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on Gettleman's presser?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
Thoughts on Gettleman's presser?

Loved it the guy is funny. He can't and shouldn't say anything about contracts.

Thanks CK
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
Conquest8089 wrote:
Charles Godfrey's heading straight for a June 1 Cut saving 5.0 M against the cap.

Resign Greg Hardy is priority number 1. Apply the Franchise Tag guaranteeing him $ 12.25 M in 2014 & then work out a long term deal. It will get pricey.

Next Cam Newton's contract extension must be addressed. After exercising his 2015 Option for $ 14.0 M, seek to extend him voiding that & leaving the initial part of his deal intact.

Then focus on Mike Mitchell over Captain. Safeties are hard to find & Captain's a nickel corner that will get overpaid by a team that struggles to cover slot WRs (Oakland). He gets exposed outside.

I think you let Ginn & LaFell go, look for an upgrade at WR. I'd target Hakeem Nicks on a 1 year prove it type deal.

Then Draft will focus on OL, CB, TE. How about this mock?

Extend:
QB Cam Newton
DE Greg Hardy

Resign:
QB Derek Anderson
OT Jordan Gross
S Mike Mitchell

28. Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee
60. Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
92. Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
126. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
162. Larry Webster DE Bloomsburg
199. Brent Urban DT Virginia (Switch to OG)
221. Dexter McDougle CB Maryland

I really don't see us cutting both, I think its either one or the other. As for Cooks, I don't see him falling to us at 92, I think he'll go significantly lower

We aren't cutting either, both are free agents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: