Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off-season plans
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FriendlyEnemy


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 2042
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Off-season plans Reply with quote

Well, we are out of the playoffs. The bright side is that we beat SF, NE, and NO during the regular season, have a dominant defense, and ended the year 12-4. However, we have a lot of work to do in order to become a consistently elite team like Seattle, SF, NO, NE, etc...

I want to use this thread to post people's individual plans for this off-season. What would you do to get this team over the hump and finally win some playoff games? I know right now we are all in the dumps over this lose, but all is not lost. With key pieces such as Cam, Kuechly, and Hardy, we have a young team that - with a bit more help - can make some noise in the near future
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FriendlyEnemy


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 2042
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positions of need:

Offensive line - We do not get much push in the running game, and often times Cam is under consistent pressure. Gross has lost a few steps and may serve better back at his original RT position. Byron Bell has played poorly all year, letting up many key sacks in games past. It is time to get some upgrades on the offensive line.

Wide receivers - Steve Smith is old. Brandon Lafell can block very well downfield and that is about it. Ted Ginn is a dynamic player but has the case of the drops. Domenik Hixon...well...aside from one catch in the endzone he has done nothing. Also, 3 out of these four guys will be UFA in the offseason. We need some major help in this position.

Secondary - We have players like Josh Thomas, Captain Munnerlynn, and Drayton Florence covering some of the games best wide receivers. This is definitely the weakest position for our defense. I believe that our safeties are serviceable enough that we do not need to look to improve this position at this time.

Free Agents

Re-sign Jordan Gross (2 year deal)
Re-sign Greg Hardy (5 year, max deal)
Re-sign Captain Munnerlyn (2 year deal)

Release Brandon Lafell
Release Domenik Hixon
Release Travelle Wharton
Release Jonathan Stewart
Release Ted Ginn
Release Derek Anderson

Sign Tarell Brown, CB (2-3 year deal)
Sign Jared Veldheer, OT (probably gonna be expensive. 5 year deal)
Sign Jeremy Maclin, WR (1 year, prove it deal) or Hakeem Nicks (2 year deal)
Sign Toby Gerhart, RB (1 year deal)

I'm not the most knowledgeable about cap room/free agency dealings. I have only included the free agents that I know about for the Panthers and picked some possibly realistic choices from the Rotoworld free agency list.

Draft

1st - Kelvin Benjamin, WR FSU
2nd - E.J Gaines - CB MIZZ
3rd - Bruce Ellington, WR SCAR
4th - Seantrel Henderson, OT Miami (FL)
5th - Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB NEB
6th - Xavier Grimble, TE USC
7th - Connor Shaw, QB SCAR

2014 Depth Chart

QB: Cam Newton/Connor Shaw
RB: DeAngelo Williams/Toby Gerhart/Kenjon Barner
FB: Mike Tolbert
WR: Steve Smith/Jeremy Maclin/Kelvin Benjamin/Bruce Ellington
TE: Greg Olsen/Xavier Grimble
LT: Jared Veldheer/Seantrel Henderson
LG: Amini Silatolu
C: Ryan Kalil
RG: Edmund Kugblia
RT: Jordan Gross

LE: Greg Hardy/Mario Addison
DT: Star Lotuleilei/Kawann Short/Dwan Edwards/Colin Cole
RE: Charles Johnson/Frank Alexander
WLB: Thomas Davis
MLB: Luke Kuechly
SLB: Chase Blackburn
CB: E.J Gaines/Tarell Brown/Captain Munnerlyn/Stanley Jean-Baptiste
FS: Quinten Mikell/Charles Godfrey
SS: Mike Mitchell

KR/PR: Bruce Ellington

We have new, young, dynamic players at wide receiver that can grow with Cam and take some pressure off of Steve Smith. Kelvin Benjamin will provide a big target that will jump up and catch some of those erratic throws that Cam tends to throw. Bruce will be Steve Smith 2.0, starting at the returner position and working his way into the line-up. Maclin is kinda risky, but if he can be healthy he can be a reliable #2 receiver.

Our offensive line will become healthy, and hopefully this will help both the running and passing game. New secondary players will provide fresh blood and talent in the weakest link of our defense.

Thoughts?
_________________


Last edited by FriendlyEnemy on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjkilla


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 5378
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to resign defensive players. draft priorities should be WR/OL/CB. oline is a big ? to me with all the injuries inside...eric decker is a FA we should pursue imo. 6'3 220, strong hands, already an established player in the league. we need someone who's too tall for cam to overthrow
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericr0319


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1052
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Positions of need:

Release Brandon Lafell
Release Domenik Hixon
Release Travelle Wharton
Release Jonathan Stewart
Release Ted Ginn
Release Derek Anderson

Thoughts?[/i]


I agree with all of these. But TED GINN??!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FriendlyEnemy


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 2042
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Positions of need:

Release Brandon Lafell
Release Domenik Hixon
Release Travelle Wharton
Release Jonathan Stewart
Release Ted Ginn
Release Derek Anderson

Thoughts?[/i]


I agree with all of these. But TED GINN??!!


Ted Ginn has a 1 year deal so he will be a UFA regardless. I propose getting Bruce Ellington instead of Ginn because 1) while Ginn is a dynamic playmaker, he has the case of the dropsies 2) he was a good returner but that role can be filled by Ellington with what I believe would be very little drop off
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ericr0319


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1052
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now i think the key moves will be resigning captain and ginn, franchising hardy if we cant get him to get a deal and releasing dwill or stew or both, i know we still take a cap hit but we need them off our team.

the draft right now its hard to say. I have been preaching Kelvin Benjamin for about 3 months now, and I can see him falling to us now that SF will pick behind us. If not then id probably say OT or CB in the first.

Gross to a 2 year deal becomes a must sign as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
panattack86


Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 804
Location: Rockford,IL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 Carolina Panthers Offseason: $16,206,772 Cap Space
Fire OC Mike Shula

Not Resigned:
Chris Scott
Garry Williams
Drayton Florence
Jimmy Clausen
Ben Hartsock
Dan Connor
Domenik Hixon
James Dockery
Jeff Byers
Richie Brockel

Cut:
Charles Godfrey 2.1 mil savings
Josh Thomas 660k savings
DeAngelo Williams june 1st cut , 1.8 mil over 2 years cost
Josh Thomas

Resigned:
Jordan Gross
Ted Ginn
Captain Munnerlyn
Travelle Wharton
Graham Gano
Quintin Mikell
Mike Mitchell
Derek Anderson
Greg Hardy
Brandon LaFell
Jordan Senn
Bruce Campbell
Byron Bell
Jason Williams
Colin Cole

Restructured:
Steve Smith 5.9 mil a year the next 3 years 11.3 mil in savings
Charles Johnson 2014 10 mil 2015&2016 12.4 mil 11.46 mil in savings
Ryan Kalil 2014 8.4 mil 2015 7.5 mil 2016 4.8 mil 2017 3.3 mil 9.766 mil in savings

Free Agent Signings:
Fred Davis TE 3 year 12 million (6 million guaranteed)
Jeremy Maclin WR 2 year 8 million ( 3 million guaranteed)
Terrell Thomas CB 1 year 850k
Ryan Mundy S 2 year 2 million

2014 NFL DRAFT:
1. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
2. Odell Beckham, Jr.*, WR, LSU
3. James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
4. Andre Williams, RB, Boston College
5. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
5. Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
6. Keith McGill, CB, Utah
7. Chris Coyle, TE, Arizona State

DEPTHCHART:DRAFT FA
OFFENSE
QB: Newton, Anderson
RB: Stewart, Williams, Barner
FB: Tolbert
WR: Smith, Maclin, Lafell, Beckham, Ginn
TE: Olsen, Davis, Williams, Coyle
LT: Gross, Britt
LG: Silatou, Wharton,
C: Kalil, Folkerts
RG: Chandler, Kugbila
RT: Hurst, Bell

DEFENSE
LDE: Johnson, Alexander
DT: Cole, Edwards
NT: Lotulelei, Short
RDE: Hardy, Addison, Jeffcoat
SLB: Davis, Williams
MLB: Kuechly, Blackburn
WLB: Klein, Senn
LCB: Gilbert, White, Thomas
RCB: Munnerlyn, Norman, McGill
SS: Mikell, Lester
FS: Mitchell, Mundy

P: Nortman
K: Gano
PR/KR: Ginn, Barner


Last edited by panattack86 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2281
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
I'm not the most knowledgeable about cap room/free agency dealings. I have only included the free agents that I know about for the Panthers and picked some possibly realistic choices from the Rotoworld free agency list.


Pretty much zero chance Stewart goes anywhere. Far more likely Williams is out the door. Stewart's contract is a behemoth and we would lose a huge chunk of cap even with a June 1st designation. If we could dump both of their sorry asses i'd be all for it.
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
panattack86


Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 804
Location: Rockford,IL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
I'm not the most knowledgeable about cap room/free agency dealings. I have only included the free agents that I know about for the Panthers and picked some possibly realistic choices from the Rotoworld free agency list.


Pretty much zero chance Stewart goes anywhere. Far more likely Williams is out the door. Stewart's contract is a behemoth and we would lose a huge chunk of cap even with a June 1st designation. If we could dump both of their sorry asses i'd be all for it.


if stewart was a june 1st cut, it would cost 9 million in 2014 and 2015 in dead money.. or 18mil in 2014. hes more than likely gonna restructure that huge contract down quite a bit. this makes me hate hurney. idk y jr let him resign guys that late into the season when he was on his way out the door.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2281
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panattack86 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
I'm not the most knowledgeable about cap room/free agency dealings. I have only included the free agents that I know about for the Panthers and picked some possibly realistic choices from the Rotoworld free agency list.


Pretty much zero chance Stewart goes anywhere. Far more likely Williams is out the door. Stewart's contract is a behemoth and we would lose a huge chunk of cap even with a June 1st designation. If we could dump both of their sorry asses i'd be all for it.


if stewart was a june 1st cut, it would cost 9 million in 2014 and 2015 in dead money.. or 18mil in 2014. hes more than likely gonna restructure that huge contract down quite a bit. this makes me hate hurney. idk y jr let him resign guys that late into the season when he was on his way out the door.


I wouldn't restructure him again, we don't need to push more money into the future. Let it ride and cut him in a couple years.
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panthers27


Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 78
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hope that we bring back Mitchell. He was the enforcer on defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FriendlyEnemy


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 2042
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
panattack86 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
I'm not the most knowledgeable about cap room/free agency dealings. I have only included the free agents that I know about for the Panthers and picked some possibly realistic choices from the Rotoworld free agency list.


Pretty much zero chance Stewart goes anywhere. Far more likely Williams is out the door. Stewart's contract is a behemoth and we would lose a huge chunk of cap even with a June 1st designation. If we could dump both of their sorry asses i'd be all for it.


if stewart was a june 1st cut, it would cost 9 million in 2014 and 2015 in dead money.. or 18mil in 2014. hes more than likely gonna restructure that huge contract down quite a bit. this makes me hate hurney. idk y jr let him resign guys that late into the season when he was on his way out the door.


I wouldn't restructure him again, we don't need to push more money into the future. Let it ride and cut him in a couple years.


It is pretty clear that Stewart is no where near the same running back he used to be. In his 2 or 3 games back in action he was not the same North-South runner that we were accustomed to seeing. He looked scared and tried to evade the defense instead of lowering his shoulder and getting those tough yards.

It is almost pointless to keep him around. He is a poor player now and we need to move on from his contract.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjkilla


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 5378
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers27 wrote:
Really hope that we bring back Mitchell. He was the enforcer on defense.


mitchell and a healthy godfrey would be fun to watch. sounds like he wants to come back
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
panattack86


Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 804
Location: Rockford,IL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
Cypher wrote:
panattack86 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
FriendlyEnemy wrote:
I'm not the most knowledgeable about cap room/free agency dealings. I have only included the free agents that I know about for the Panthers and picked some possibly realistic choices from the Rotoworld free agency list.


Pretty much zero chance Stewart goes anywhere. Far more likely Williams is out the door. Stewart's contract is a behemoth and we would lose a huge chunk of cap even with a June 1st designation. If we could dump both of their sorry asses i'd be all for it.


if stewart was a june 1st cut, it would cost 9 million in 2014 and 2015 in dead money.. or 18mil in 2014. hes more than likely gonna restructure that huge contract down quite a bit. this makes me hate hurney. idk y jr let him resign guys that late into the season when he was on his way out the door.


I wouldn't restructure him again, we don't need to push more money into the future. Let it ride and cut him in a couple years.


It is pretty clear that Stewart is no where near the same running back he used to be. In his 2 or 3 games back in action he was not the same North-South runner that we were accustomed to seeing. He looked scared and tried to evade the defense instead of lowering his shoulder and getting those tough yards.

It is almost pointless to keep him around. He is a poor player now and we need to move on from his contract.


i agree he isnt the same player but that kind of money is hard to eat. bc of that he will be around next year hopefully at a discounted price.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
panattack86


Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Posts: 804
Location: Rockford,IL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
Panthers27 wrote:
Really hope that we bring back Mitchell. He was the enforcer on defense.


mitchell and a healthy godfrey would be fun to watch. sounds like he wants to come back


mikell made godfrey expendable. hes not worth the money. Lester will get better this offseason as well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group