Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins hire Jay Gruden to be HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neither love nor hate this hire. I just have a sneaking suspicion we will be doing this all over again in 3 years.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruden was badly outcoached by Pagano last weekend, his stock could not be lower at this stage so this is bizarre. As someone who favors a quick passing game, this seems a total mismatch with RGIII.
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Isn't Haslett a 3-4 though? ^

I'm pretty sure he also did 4-3 in the past. The point is the Redskins didn't have, and still don't have the horses for a 3-4.
I always felt like your LB's fit a 3-4 better Confused

Both players played DE in college. Orakpo played DE his rookie year and posted double digit sacks. Kerrigan was strictly a DE in college and was a surprising draft pick for us. Both transitioned well into their new roles but that is more due to the fact that both are elite athletes and are smart players. I think both will be very comfortable and excel as DE's.

mike23md on the sig!
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Gruden was badly outcoached by Pagano last weekend, his stock could not be lower at this stage so this is bizarre. As someone who favors a quick passing game, this seems a total mismatch with RGIII.

Huh? The times RGIII looked at his absolute best this year was when he was running the no-huddle offense. Many were puzzled as to why Kyle Shanahan abandoned it so often after seeing such positive results with it.

And making a hiring decision based on one playoff game is foolish. We looked at what he's done throughout his tenure there and, in conjunction with his interview, we obviously came away impressed.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:

Don't know where this cvame from, other than the fact that we are stuck with Dalton's below-average arm. He has RGIII to game plan for now, so I'm quite sure the gameplans will be significantly different.
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Keim ‏@john_keim1m

Quote:
Talked to Gruden's agent. Two things mattered most: Familiarity with staff. And RG3 potential.
Ataal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
The guy who convinced the Bengals to draft Dalton over Kaep, partly because he "wasn’t really into the read-option stuff", is now leaving to coach RG3?

Lol.

Didn't Dalton post better numbers than Kaep in the regular season?

I guess it depends on your definition of better.

Dalton:

4,293 yards
61.9% completion (363/586)
7.3 average yards per attempt.
33 Touchdowns
20 Interceptions
1.65 TD:INT
88.8 Rating

Kaepernick:

3,197 yards
58.4% Completion (243/416)
7.7 average yards per attempt
21 Touchdowns
8 Interceptions
2.625 TD:INT
91.6 Rating

So, if by better, you mean yardage and touchdowns, yes. Andy Dalton put up better numbers. If you're looking at efficiency, no. And, you can't deny Kaep's success in the playoffs over 0/3 Dalton.

Regardless of your definition, Wackywabbit's point was completely dismissed in your response. The guy that passed over a read-option quarterback for Dalton, is now going to coach RG3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a bad signing. Gruden is a west coast guy and that's the last thing RGIII needs. We need an offensive minded guy like in Seattle or San Fran. Someone who will utilize RGIII's strengths and his mobility.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Huh? The times RGIII looked at his absolute best this year was when he was running the no-huddle offense. Many were puzzled as to why Kyle Shanahan abandoned it so often after seeing such positive results with it.

And making a hiring decision based on one playoff game is foolish. We looked at what he's done throughout his tenure there and, in conjunction with his interview, we obviously came away impressed.

I'm not basing his resume on playoff game, he's had three playoff trips and looked out of his depth every time. This just seems an odd time to hire a guy who many were questioning his ability to be even be a OC after last weekend. Hue Jackson would be an upgrade in Cinci.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Please save RG3, Jay.

He's a lost cause man. sorry

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that Gruden will start Cousins over Griffin, seeing as Cousins fits a WCO, whereas the other played his best in a gimmick offense.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

I'm pretty sure he also did 4-3 in the past. The point is the Redskins didn't have, and still don't have the horses for a 3-4.

Both players played DE in college. Orakpo played DE his rookie year and posted double digit sacks. Kerrigan was strictly a DE in college and was a surprising draft pick for us. Both transitioned well into their new roles but that is more due to the fact that both are elite athletes and are smart players. I think both will be very comfortable and excel as DE's.
I agree with you. Both Orakpo and Kerrigan would be better up at the line rather than out in space. However, Orakpo played OLB for us his rookie season in our 4-3 base defense. He only moved up to DE in nickle packages.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I'm starting to think that Gruden will start Cousins over Griffin, seeing as Cousins fits a WCO, whereas the other played his best in a gimmick offense.

Rolling Eyes

John Keim ‏@john_keim1m

Quote:
Talked to Gruden's agent. Two things mattered most: Familiarity with staff. And RG3 potential.

I think Gruden might be taking cues from actual NFL minds about Griffin's loss of accuracy and footwork as a result of his injury. Good thing he's not taking his cues from online message boards.

Quote:
1. Jaws saying that RG3 had perfect mechanics in his rookie season but could see the injury has changed his footwork in a bad way when he watched him warm up in the preseason

2. Joey T. saying RG3 won't be right until 2014 (he said this early in the season) because the biggest factor in accuracy is your plant leg and that's the leg he had surgery on, and the plant leg won't feel 100% until a year post surgery

3. His predraft QB coach, Shea, said watching RG3 this season that he can tell he's not planting fully on the leg, and that is making his passes sail high. Before the surgery he said he didn't have that issue at all.
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

You do realize basically every rush 34 LBer played DE in college...

The only reason Rak would be better at DE than OLB is his pass rush is all about explosion and his unreal strength, he can generate that and leverage with his hand in the dirt and can't do it as effectively while standing up.

Kerrigan is a hustle guy and he'll eat as long as the guy beside him is doing well.
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

I'm not basing his resume on playoff game, he's had three playoff trips and looked out of his depth every time. This just seems an odd time to hire a guy who many were questioning his ability to be even be a OC after last weekend. Hue Jackson would be an upgrade in Cinci.

Gruden did not throw the interceptions in that game or dive headfirst and fumble on a scramble.

Hard for any game-plan to work when your QB is stuck in full Romo mode during your playoff games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: