Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins hire Jay Gruden to be HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fearsome Fronts wrote:
How Gruden gets a coaching job anywhere over Zimmerman is beyond me. No knock on Gruden though.

Rex Ryan got passed over plenty for many HC gigs before the Jets... even the Ravens passed him over when they went with Harbaugh. The thought was that it was because of his brash personality. Owners didn't trust him to have enough coach savvy to not make the papers with headline statements... and even though Rex Ryan has been a great HC, took the Sanchez Jets to two AFCCGs... those concerns turned out to be accurate.

So I could see Zimmerman being in the same boat. Successful defenses, but a fiery attitude that owners wouldn't trust to not make the paper with words/cause a scene.

So given the choice between similarly successful coaching candidates, they'd prefer the non-Zimmerman choice.

It may not be "fair" for Zimmerman to get passed up by coaches that are "worse" at their craft, but it's the reality of what owners look for in HCing candidates.

Someone that can toe the company line. They want exciting on the field and safe off the field.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Fearsome Fronts wrote:
How Gruden gets a coaching job anywhere over Zimmerman is beyond me. No knock on Gruden though.

Rex Ryan got passed over plenty for many HC gigs before the Jets... even the Ravens passed him over when they went with Harbaugh. The thought was that it was because of his brash personality. Owners didn't trust him to have enough coach savvy to not make the papers with headline statements... and even though Rex Ryan has been a great HC, took the Sanchez Jets to two AFCCGs... those concerns turned out to be accurate.

He was also coming off a season that did no favors for his HC candidacy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased with this. I like him as the Vikes HC at first but after reading some more I didn't want him at all.
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats this signing mean for Alfred Morris?

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Isn't Haslett a 3-4 though? ^

I'm pretty sure he also did 4-3 in the past. The point is the Redskins didn't have, and still don't have the horses for a 3-4.
I always felt like your LB's fit a 3-4 better Confused

Agreed...I'd say their best two players are Orakpo and Kerrigan and they're both better fits at 3-4 OLB.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Fearsome Fronts wrote:

So I could see Zimmerman being in the same boat. Successful defenses, but a fiery attitude that owners wouldn't trust to not make the paper with words/cause a scene.

So given the choice between similarly successful coaching candidates, they'd prefer the non-Zimmerman choice.

It may not be "fair" for Zimmerman to get passed up by coaches that are "worse" at their craft, but it's the reality of what owners look for in HCing candidates.

Someone that can toe the company line. They want exciting on the field and safe off the field.

All of a sudden Mike Zimmer is Mike Zimmerman. Razz Wink

I do agree with that reasoning though. I don't think his personality is going to mix well with many GMs and owners.

B_wolf84

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of Jay Gruden. I live in florida, he was the QB for the Tampa Bay Storm, and Orlando Predators. With the Predators he was a player coach, and Still QB games with the head coaching title. Yeah most people discredit Arena and since its lock out and lg folding no cares about it anymore but it had a decent fanfare when I was younger. I havnet watched to many Bengals games but he was a very unconventional play caller with the Predators. They often lead the lg in Rushing, and total Def in the pass happy all offensive lg. He would also go for the win instead of ties quite a few times. I hope he really works out.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Isn't Haslett a 3-4 though? ^

I'm pretty sure he also did 4-3 in the past. The point is the Redskins didn't have, and still don't have the horses for a 3-4.
I always felt like your LB's fit a 3-4 better Confused

Agreed...I'd say their best two players are Orakpo and Kerrigan and they're both better fits at 3-4 OLB.

They can play 4-3 Ends just as well. Most people had Kerrigan as a LE in the 4-3.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orakpo came into the league as 4-3 DE as well, correct? Kerrigan was thought to be a 4-3 DE coming out of Purdue.

The Redskins really could run either defense if they wanted. Barry Cofield has also played in a 4-3.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a simple switch to just put your hand in the dirt going from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE

same way most guys cant just stand up

Washington should continue with the 3-4
I know right. Standing with his mother, they looked like a married couple.

Jameis Winston wrote:
I said, we said, uh, I said

#LuckAllDay
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
Atari-XXX wrote:
Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Redskins TE coach Sean McVay is expected to become Washington's OC, per league sources, Raheem Morris a possible defensive coordinator.

I agree with Estonian when he said, there isn't a single team out their that loves their OC. I laugh at the people who call JG a bad coordinator. He worked wonders with the talent their. Even Seattle fans call Bevell a bad coordinator all the time during their games, when he is basically outcoaching the other team. People can't be happy on these forums regarding personnel.

On the contrary.. I love Aaron Kromer.

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Whats this signing mean for Alfred Morris?
Good question. On paper it seems like a good fit because Gruden has claimed he likes zone blocking which is where Morris excels. However, Bengals fans have complained that Gruden was quick to abandon the run and go pass heavy too often. That is a complaint that has become all too common though so we will see what happens.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Its not a simple switch to just put your hand in the dirt going from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE

Both Kerrigan & Orakpo have experience as 4-3 Ends.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
MKnight82

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

Orakpo also has experience playing SLB in a 4-3. So hypothetically you could move Kerrigan to LE and get a new RE but keep Orakpo as the SLB and use him like Denver uses Von Miller.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
footy_29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

Orakpo also has experience playing SLB in a 4-3. So hypothetically you could move Kerrigan to LE and get a new RE but keep Orakpo as the SLB and use him like Denver uses Von Miller.

However, Orakpo was most effective when he moved to RE on third down that season, not as a SLB. If they planned to convert a DE to SLB, it should be Jenkins as he seems to be the best fit for it.

Even if the 3-4 is kept, we'll probably see even more 4 man fronts in obvious passing situations. That said, with a ton of money tied up in Cofield (who's worth it), Bowen (who's not and hard to part with, re: dead money) and Carriker (depends on recovery), it's not a great situation to keep the 3-4. You need a RE, and one that can be an impact player, and you need a cerebral ILB to replace Fletcher. Good mock btw MKnight.

Blknite01's masterpiece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: