Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason 1 Reply with quote

A. Coaching

Jim Caldwell gets hired as a head coach at either Detroit or Washington.

Hire Norv turner as replacement OC

B. Restructure/Extension/Release

Restructure Ngata
even though he hasent been as dominant as in past years he is still a great D-lineman and without him or d-line would fall to shambles.

Extend Suggs
ive read all the talk about possibly releasing suggs and i dont agree at all he might be on the decline but he is still better then anything else we have and he is also stout against the run.

Extend Torrey Smith
Not a salary cap helping move but something that has to be done. Honestly dont think should be to crazy of a contract.

Release McClain, Koch, Leach
i have to say i would be sad to see these guy go all have become fan favorites in their own way but it is time to move on and the money could be used elsewhere.

C. Free Agency

Sign all Exclusive and Restricted players

Resign Pitta
no real explanation needed Flacco's safety blanket

Resign Monroe
He is a good Lt top 10 could be even better is still young and makes too much sense not to sign.

Sign De La Puente (Saints)
Yes i know he is no Alex Mack and i would love to have him BUT besides the fact that i think there is no way Browns let him go if they do teams will overpay for him and hopefully the bidding war for Mack will allow us to get De la Puente from under everyones noses. solid center for years i wuold argue a top 10 center and shouldnt cost too much and the Saints are cap strapped helping the cause.

D. Draft

**sorry for lack of description doing this on the fly and not yet to up to date on all prospects
**4th 5th and 6th round comps

1st. Marquise Lee WR
We need a WR that can make plays and help create plays for others. Lee and Smith would be great together with brown and pitta working the slots we have a nice set of weapons.

Trade 2015 4th and 2014 2nd for a higher 2nd
2nd. Antonio Richardson T
Plug in start Rt for us. road grader and pretty good pass blocker

3rd. Calvin Pryor FS
good instincts allows Elam to play SS

4th comp. Stanley Jean- Baptiste CB
good size will compete with chykie and asa for play time

5th comp. Taylor Hart DE
good athlete for his size nice burst and good against the run.

6th. Jeff Matthews QB
love the idea of bringing in a true pocket passer to back up Flacco and if developed right could be traded for draft picks down the line.

6th comp. Crockett Gilmore TE
good size good blocking and athletic

7th. BPA
honestly cant think of who to draft here

Sign undrafted free agent punter

E. Conclusion

i think this mock offseason pretty much hits all the areas of need while not being overly unrealistic. Even though we didnt make the playoffs i love the potential of our team and we are a very young team that can be competitive for years to come. I also think this year is going to make our team hungry again

What do you guys think???
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love the draft and the way the season broke done with player re-signings and coaching changes; I'd be beyond ecstatic if this is how the offseason played out.

But I do have a few minor complaints, and those are that I am not as high on Richardson as some other tackle prospects in the draft. And I'm not sure how much higher we could move with a future 4th rounder, but I'd assume not much. Thus, if were to only move up a couple of spots to around the 10th pick in the 2nd round, as pressing a need as O-Line is, I would personally rather try to nab a guy like Shayne Skov given that we released McClain and did not re-sign Smith in this scenario/mock.

Also, while I am liking Pryor more and more the closer we get to the draft, I am not the only one. As such, I've recently seen discussion about him going as high as the late first. Now obviously a lot of that will depend on how he performs at the combine, but I don't know if the odds our in our favor that arguably thee best or even second best safety in this class falls to our pick in the third round.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Absolutely love the draft and the way the season broke done with player re-signings and coaching changes; I'd be beyond ecstatic if this is how the offseason played out.

But I do have a few minor complaints, and those are that I am not as high on Richardson as some other tackle prospects in the draft. And I'm not sure how much higher we could move with a future 4th rounder, but I'd assume not much. Thus, if were to only move up a couple of spots to around the 10th pick in the 2nd round, as pressing a need as O-Line is, I would personally rather try to nab a guy like Shayne Skov given that we released McClain and did not re-sign Smith in this scenario/mock.

Also, while I am liking Pryor more and more the closer we get to the draft, I am not the only one. As such, I've recently seen discussion about him going as high as the late first. Now obviously a lot of that will depend on how he performs at the combine, but I don't know if the odds our in our favor that arguably thee best or even second best safety in this class falls to our pick in the third round.

I was thinking about also putting Daryl Smith as a resign but wasent sure how realistic that would be with monroe pitta and de la puente but now that i think about it with some ozzie magic we might be able to also resign Daryl Smith because he doesnt seem to be well known even after this good season he isnt really talked about which could help us out

and i agree about pryor as well i think he could move up in the board but as of now he is rated 3rd round so i figure ill mock him there now but this could change in any future mocks i make
hemm68

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew jackson would be a good pickup in that seventh round has ellerbe like skill set.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same as RTID... if we're able to resign all of those guys then that would be a great offseason... I just would hope we get Monroe back for great value, he's the key IMO. I would caution against adding Daryl Smith back into the equation. I think you had it right here, I doubt we'd have the money to resign him. Also I doubt we restructure Ngata. He has a 16m cap hit these next two years. If we restructure it would only throw money into the last year of his deal and make it THAT much more likely he gets cut regardless of how he plays. It might be a smart move on our part, but Ngata's agent would need to be an idiot/not looking out for his player to agree to that type of deal.

I suppose Ngata could agree to take a paycut (maybe that's what you meant by restructure?) but probably even less likely than restructuring. That wouldn't just push money into a future year, but take money from him. Not many players are going to agree to that scenario because the NFL is a business at the end of the day... they've got to look out for themselves or they'll be taken advantage of. Ngata might say/think, that he might be making a more then he's worth NOW, but that the Ravens were getting a steal of a contract when he was being productive as a young player on a rookie contract and thus it balances itself out... and while from a fan perspective, I don't like his value... I honestly can't fault that kind of logic. He's got a family to take care of post-football. And sadly Thompson Creek Windows and Royal Farms aren't going to pay ALL his bills. Laughing

In terms of the draft I'm not a 'big' fan of 'Tiny' Richardson. Cool

I'd rather stand pat and go with the BPA on the board when we pick. I don't think Richardson is a mauler. He's big, sure. But I look at him and see a big finesse power blocking scheme player. Usually with guys his size, they ARE maulers and thus fit really well into a power blocking scheme. But Tiny is pretty soft in that regard. He moves people at the college level because of his size, but he doesn't dominate his blocks in any manor. He's like a TE that 'gets in the way' vs 'removing players from plays'. That type of blocking is usually a better fit in a zone blocking scheme, yet Tiny doesn't have the quick feet in run blocking that would make him a strong fit in that particular scheme. And thus he's not someone that I'm a fan of for his run blocking. And then you go onto his pass blocking. And I don't see a guy with the elite physical blocking tools PLUS he's somewhat inconsistent in that regard. He also seems somewhat undisciplined and draws enough penalties for it to be a bother. I think he's a bigger version of say... Sam Baker. I see 3rd/4th round talent tbqh. Not a fan.

Personally, considering how things play out... I'd instead take Calvin Pryor or Deone Buccanon at that 2nd round pick. Both safeties are my top rated safeties in this class... over Hasean Clinton-Dix. So yeah, I really like Pryor in the 3rd round, though I think we both know that round value will change as the process moves closer to the draft.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste is a pick that makes a lot of sense. We could plug him in at corner to compete early and if he doesn't provide enough athleticism to achieve the task, we could move him over to safety and compete... if it comes to that. He's going to add to the strength of our secondary no matter what.

Taylor Hart, I know I scouted him at some point awhile back, but can't remember if I were impressed with him or not. So I'm going to take a mulligan on that pick. Laughing

Jeff Matthews, like most I like the idea of getting a QB behind Flacco that can actually be a pocket passer type. That said, we have no 'true' QB coach. So I think Tyrod might be at a slight disadvantage anyway. Caldwell was QBs coach AND OC... thus Tyrod got the shaft in the extra coaching I'd imagine since Caldwell has to perform ALL those jobs and you'd think something's got to give. I'd be all for bringing in competition, but I still think Taylor might have some potential left in him as a passer.

And BPA is a good player. I think he could be a value to our team. The last time we made such a pick, he turned out to be defensive pass interference, who we know has made some huge plays for Flacco in recent memory. If we lock this guy up, we could truly take the league by storm... instant dynasty. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Yeah, same as RTID... if we're able to resign all of those guys then that would be a great offseason... I just would hope we get Monroe back for great value, he's the key IMO. I would caution against adding Daryl Smith back into the equation. I think you had it right here, I doubt we'd have the money to resign him. Also I doubt we restructure Ngata. He has a 16m cap hit these next two years. If we restructure it would only throw money into the last year of his deal and make it THAT much more likely he gets cut regardless of how he plays. It might be a smart move on our part, but Ngata's agent would need to be an idiot/not looking out for his player to agree to that type of deal.

I suppose Ngata could agree to take a paycut (maybe that's what you meant by restructure?) but probably even less likely than restructuring. That wouldn't just push money into a future year, but take money from him. Not many players are going to agree to that scenario because the NFL is a business at the end of the day... they've got to look out for themselves or they'll be taken advantage of. Ngata might say/think, that he might be making a more then he's worth NOW, but that the Ravens were getting a steal of a contract when he was being productive as a young player on a rookie contract and thus it balances itself out... and while from a fan perspective, I don't like his value... I honestly can't fault that kind of logic. He's got a family to take care of post-football. And sadly Thompson Creek Windows and Royal Farms aren't going to pay ALL his bills. Laughing

In terms of the draft I'm not a 'big' fan of 'Tiny' Richardson. Cool

I'd rather stand pat and go with the BPA on the board when we pick. I don't think Richardson is a mauler. He's big, sure. But I look at him and see a big finesse power blocking scheme player. Usually with guys his size, they ARE maulers and thus fit really well into a power blocking scheme. But Tiny is pretty soft in that regard. He moves people at the college level because of his size, but he doesn't dominate his blocks in any manor. He's like a TE that 'gets in the way' vs 'removing players from plays'. That type of blocking is usually a better fit in a zone blocking scheme, yet Tiny doesn't have the quick feet in run blocking that would make him a strong fit in that particular scheme. And thus he's not someone that I'm a fan of for his run blocking. And then you go onto his pass blocking. And I don't see a guy with the elite physical blocking tools PLUS he's somewhat inconsistent in that regard. He also seems somewhat undisciplined and draws enough penalties for it to be a bother. I think he's a bigger version of say... Sam Baker. I see 3rd/4th round talent tbqh. Not a fan.

Personally, considering how things play out... I'd instead take Calvin Pryor or Deone Buccanon at that 2nd round pick. Both safeties are my top rated safeties in this class... over Hasean Clinton-Dix. So yeah, I really like Pryor in the 3rd round, though I think we both know that round value will change as the process moves closer to the draft.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste is a pick that makes a lot of sense. We could plug him in at corner to compete early and if he doesn't provide enough athleticism to achieve the task, we could move him over to safety and compete... if it comes to that. He's going to add to the strength of our secondary no matter what.

Taylor Hart, I know I scouted him at some point awhile back, but can't remember if I were impressed with him or not. So I'm going to take a mulligan on that pick. Laughing

Jeff Matthews, like most I like the idea of getting a QB behind Flacco that can actually be a pocket passer type. That said, we have no 'true' QB coach. So I think Tyrod might be at a slight disadvantage anyway. Caldwell was QBs coach AND OC... thus Tyrod got the shaft in the extra coaching I'd imagine since Caldwell has to perform ALL those jobs and you'd think something's got to give. I'd be all for bringing in competition, but I still think Taylor might have some potential left in him as a passer.

And BPA is a good player. I think he could be a value to our team. The last time we made such a pick, he turned out to be defensive pass interference, who we know has made some huge plays for Flacco in recent memory. If we lock this guy up, we could truly take the league by storm... instant dynasty. Smile

I see what you are saying about Richardson but I feel he could have what i like to call the Jimmy Smith Syndrome. Jimmy locked WR down in college more due to his athletic and physical abilities after getting to nfl he learned he needed to work harder and combining that with his physical tools he can be a beast i see that in richardson too. but i would be open to taking another OT that the ravens see as the best pick especially with the fact that the OT class is deep and a good prospect should drop to us in the 2nd

that last part made me laugh you already know thats what its all about we are building dynasties here it all begins with BPA lol
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiagomn8 wrote:

I see what you are saying about Richardson but I feel he could have what i like to call the Jimmy Smith Syndrome. Jimmy locked WR down in college more due to his athletic and physical abilities after getting to nfl he learned he needed to work harder and combining that with his physical tools he can be a beast i see that in richardson too. but i would be open to taking another OT that the ravens see as the best pick especially with the fact that the OT class is deep and a good prospect should drop to us in the 2nd

that last part made me laugh you already know thats what its all about we are building dynasties here it all begins with BPA lol

I think it's two different scenarios. For a corner, it's a position where prime athletic ability is key in locking down WR talents. Also Jimmy Smith was more than just a physical specimen. His press man technique was some of the best in the draft. He didn't have great overall technique because that was all Colorado implored of its corners. He lacked in off-man and zone coverage technique... simply because he had never done it before on any kind of consistent level. I can't recall ever seeing him drop into zone coverage on any tape I scouted. It was all man coverage and quite often Smith was on a complete island with no safety help. So that's great physical ability, but also great technique to press and recover.

With Antonio Richardson, he doesn't possess other-worldy physical abilities for his position. Someone that I might consider to be similar to Smith in that regard might be, say... Greg Robinson. A guy who is rarely asked to pass block as much as other schemes... because that's what Auburn requires of their OL. So you can't necessarily see where he's at in that regard, but the physical ability is there for him to excel in that technique. And he dominates his opponents due to overwhelming physical ability as a blocker.

Richardson being big means very little if it's mostly fat. To use a similar non-position Ravens collegiate comparison, I'd compare him to Terrence "Mt." Cody. Cody actually dominated at the college level. Though pound for pound, he wasn't as strong as his opposition. At the NFL level, he was asked to cut weight to gain endurance (and better his health). In so doing, he lost his advantage and in re-shaping his body became much less dominant a player. Now you have a guy in Richardson, who has similar non-functional strength to Cody, that has the size to be "imposing" at the collegiate level... but lacks the functional strength to dominate as a blocker, with similar size as Greg Robinson... he's no where nears as strong a blocker- for example.

Richardson run blocks to the level you might expect from someone that is 6'6" 290 lbs and not someone that is 6'6" 330 lbs. Now the former build would likely come equipped with terrific foot quickness to excel in a ZBS, but Richardson lacks that same foot quickness. More likely, you've got a guy who will look similar to Bryant McKinnie. Good pass blocker, but average (at best) run blocker due to a lack of functional strength as a drive blocker. Obviously an NFL conditioning program could help with the right work ethic... but I have no way of knowing if Richardson is possessed of that elite work ethic necessary to change his body type and then excel. To cut 30 lbs of fat and gain 10 lbs of muscle to be a lean 310 lbs as opposed to a floppy 330 lbs.

So all that being said, I'd prefer we go with an OT like Joel Bitonio in that third tier of OTs (or 4th tier?) over Richardson in that 2nd (or third) tier... assuming his arms measure out to be suitable for the position. And of course James Hurst, I would prefer over both players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: