Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Signing Tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Pats had made this move it'd be called brilliant.

^ryknowssd on the sig
simonwayne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched some videos of Dressler, the comments all seem to be great.

Quote:
As a Saskatchewan fan I really think whoever lands this guy is going to be happy about it. He's got sticky hands. Anything thrown close to him will be caught. He's super consistent and always clutch in the big moments. Not to mention tons of class. Saskatchewan won the championship this year and he was definitely an enormous part of that. We miss him already.

I like him already if the bolded is true. I could care less about these Jon Baldwin/A.J. Jeknins level of WR's. Great athletes with hands of stone. I just want guys who are going to consistently catch the ball. Especially in big games like vs Denver.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

Quote:
As a Saskatchewan fan I really think whoever lands this guy is going to be happy about it. He's got sticky hands. Anything thrown close to him will be caught. He's super consistent and always clutch in the big moments. Not to mention tons of class. Saskatchewan won the championship this year and he was definitely an enormous part of that. We miss him already.

I like him already if the bolded is true. I could care less about these Jon Baldwin/A.J. Jeknins level of WR's. Great athletes with hands of stone. I just want guys who are going to consistently catch the ball. Especially in big games like vs Denver.

See, that's the thing though. The infuriating thing about both of those players as first round picks is that they AREN'T great athletes. They're middling athletes with low intangible assets. Like I remember everyone ragging on Jenkins because he was moderately fast (4.4 speed is, say, Demaryious Thomas territory, not Mike Wallace or DeSean Jackson territory) with subpar size and mediocre route running and hands. Baldwin was the reverse, good size (great height, but had a relatively small build despite his weight), but subpar speed (4.5 is more Eric Decker territory or so), and mediocre hands and route running. They weren't great athletes. We haven't had a great athlete at WR in over a decade. Probably more.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
32 catches, 419 yards, 4 TDs
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:

See, that's the thing though. The infuriating thing about both of those players as first round picks is that they AREN'T great athletes. They're middling athletes with low intangible assets. Like I remember everyone ragging on Jenkins because he was moderately fast (4.4 speed is, say, Demaryious Thomas territory, not Mike Wallace or DeSean Jackson territory) with subpar size and mediocre route running and hands. Baldwin was the reverse, good size (great height, but had a relatively small build despite his weight), but subpar speed (4.5 is more Eric Decker territory or so), and mediocre hands and route running. They weren't great athletes. We haven't had a great athlete at WR in over a decade. Probably more.

Don't worry bro, Reid and Dorsey got this I think. Reid's like his athuletes on the outside(Desean, Maclin), and the Packers drafted some athletic receivers over the years in early rounds(Cobb, Finley, Nelson, Jennings), they'll get this problem fixed.

I wouldn't count on Megatron-class in the late first though.
TD: 0
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
I REALLY like the Van Dyke signing. He did not get nearly as much of a chance in Oakland as he should've. In 4 starts as a rookie, he allowed 9 catches on 23 targets, for 122 yards, a TD, an INT, and 3 PDs. That is STELLAR. Then every time whoever he filled in for came back, they benched him back to ST duty. I mean, he wasn't even playing #4 CB. He was either starting (at RCB) or he was a gunner and nothing else. And then in Pittsburgh the next year, he didn't see a single defensive snap. He was a pretty divisive cut when Oakland dumped him, IIRC. A bunch of Raider fans were confused and annoyed that they cut a 2nd year guy that quick. Others didn't care.

Frankly, he reminds me of Brandon Carr. Much faster, a bit lighter, but similar length and height. Great man coverage skills, but struggles substantially in getting his head turned around. Means a lot of good coverage, but if tested, he can allow catches despite being in position.

Not sure you've seen DVD play. This guy is awful with a capital A. No instincts for the game. Constantly burned. Poor tackler. Just a typical Al Davis athlete who has ZERO football skills. He had PLENTY of chances in Oakland and was constantly whipped. He had a training camp where he was praised, went to a preseason game and got punked by the Cards 3rd stringers. Beat like drum.

There is a reason the Raiders bounced him, the Steelers bounced him and he didn't find a team all season. He is training camp fodder. Comparing him to Carr is laughable. Carr was actually a talented football player.

The fact he didn't see a single snap in Pittsburgh doesn't mean anything to you? If he was STELLAR you think a team like the Steelers would have tapped into that no?
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I REALLY like the Van Dyke signing. He did not get nearly as much of a chance in Oakland as he should've. In 4 starts as a rookie, he allowed 9 catches on 23 targets, for 122 yards, a TD, an INT, and 3 PDs. That is STELLAR. Then every time whoever he filled in for came back, they benched him back to ST duty. I mean, he wasn't even playing #4 CB. He was either starting (at RCB) or he was a gunner and nothing else. And then in Pittsburgh the next year, he didn't see a single defensive snap. He was a pretty divisive cut when Oakland dumped him, IIRC. A bunch of Raider fans were confused and annoyed that they cut a 2nd year guy that quick. Others didn't care.

Frankly, he reminds me of Brandon Carr. Much faster, a bit lighter, but similar length and height. Great man coverage skills, but struggles substantially in getting his head turned around. Means a lot of good coverage, but if tested, he can allow catches despite being in position.

Not sure you've seen DVD play. This guy is awful with a capital A. No instincts for the game. Constantly burned. Poor tackler. Just a typical Al Davis athlete who has ZERO football skills. He had PLENTY of chances in Oakland and was constantly whipped. He had a training camp where he was praised, went to a preseason game and got punked by the Cards 3rd stringers. Beat like drum.

There is a reason the Raiders bounced him, the Steelers bounced him and he didn't find a team all season. He is training camp fodder. Comparing him to Carr is laughable. Carr was actually a talented football player.

The fact he didn't see a single snap in Pittsburgh doesn't mean anything to you? If he was STELLAR you think a team like the Steelers would have tapped into that no?

I've seen Van Dyke play plenty, and describing him as "constantly burned" is phenomenally inaccurate, and just sounds like the fan of a player's former team trashing on a prior cut. It happens all the time.

How exactly is a player who plays a grand total of 200 snaps in coverage, and allowed 13 catches "burned constantly" regardless of how you think he played? It's impossible to get burned constantly when you're rarely given a chance to play. When the guy has 11 career tackles, how can you really say he's a horrible tackler?

Also, note, I didn't say DVD is stellar, I said his play in coverage in that stretch is stellar. But that's the only stretch of games where he was given playing time anyway.

And teams miss on players all the time.

KC_Guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brian McIntyre @brian_mcintyre 23 Sek.

The Chiefs officially signed WR Weston Dressler to a futures contract today.

TambaHawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
Quote:
Brian McIntyre @brian_mcintyre 23 Sek.

The Chiefs officially signed WR Weston Dressler to a futures contract today.

I'm fine with him replacing McCluster.. less money and the kid will play to prove himself..

TambaHawk wrote:
Oh we are getting a Smith just not Geno Smith Laughing
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, but AJ ran a 4.37 40 with a low of 4.30 flat and his game speed seemed to back that up IMO.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
DTOW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, just came over to see the Dressler discussion. I have seen A TON of this guy. I grew up in North Dakota. I watched him play in high school. I watched him play at the University of North Dakota and I've watched him play for the Roughriders.

I remember watching him in high school. He played for Bismarck High and was unreal. I remember driving an hour and a half with my buddies to see what the fuss about him was. He was playing my high school and went for about 350 yards and 4 tds in the first half. Ridiculous speed at that level of football. If he was 3 inches taller he would have been a bigtime high school prospect. Being small and from North Dakota really hurt his college options.

Then he played at UND where I also went. He is still a legend on the campus. Held almost every offensive record for the school and, to my knowledge, still holds a boat load of weight lifting records for the power index. He was just a pure playmaker in every sense of the word. Fantastic speed, great route runner, doesn't drop passes and knows how to get open. Hes very down to earth and a genuinely nice person. He is obviously beloved by Canadian football fans and North Dakotans. Pretty sure he has a box of cereal named after him north of the border.

I'm surprised that it took this long for him to get his shot in the league. Its long overdue. I think people will be surprised by the guy, hes just a pure football player. Good luck to you guy and Dressler.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:

I've seen Van Dyke play plenty, and describing him as "constantly burned" is phenomenally inaccurate, and just sounds like the fan of a player's former team trashing on a prior cut. It happens all the time.

We are talking about a guy who lost his starting job TWICE IN COLLEGE. Another Al Davis athlete pick with little to no football skills.

There was nothing to get excited about with DVD. Go watch his 2012 preseason game against AZ. Their 3rd string players whipped him all over the field. The eyes don't lie. The guy was garbage, which is why McKenzie wasted no time cutting him. He got a 2nd chance in Pitt and they saw the same thing. Then he sat out all of 2013. Coincidence?

Jakuvious wrote:
How exactly is a player who plays a grand total of 200 snaps in coverage, and allowed 13 catches "burned constantly" regardless of how you think he played? It's impossible to get burned constantly when you're rarely given a chance to play. When the guy has 11 career tackles, how can you really say he's a horrible tackler?

Why do you think he was rarely give a chance to play man? He was AWFUL and never deserved to be on the field. Again. Benched TWICE in college. He was a complete liability. When he was on the field he was either out of of position or giving up a catch.

Your stats also don't include preseason where he showed an inability to cover and tackle. He was outplayed by Chimdi Checkwa (also awful).

Jakuvious wrote:
Also, note, I didn't say DVD is stellar, I said his play in coverage in that stretch is stellar. But that's the only stretch of games where he was given playing time anyway.

And teams miss on players all the time.

You compared him to Brandon Carr. Your entire argument is a stretch. DVD's 4.2 40 got him drafted. His lack of skills and stiff hips led him to be cut early and often by 2 teams.

You sound like the Raider fans who were crying when Reggie cut him coming in as GM. Saying it was too soon and he just needs a chance. Well Pitt gave him a chance with their all world DC and staff and he was a bust there.

Also, mind you DVD cleared waivers when the Raiders cut him. 31 teams were not interested in picking him up. Shouldn't that tell us something?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to base my opinion more off what I saw in a few regular season games as opposed to one preseason game, if you don't mind. The funny thing is, you haven't even refuted that he played well in those games. All of your assertions are based on the opinions of other people, and whether they signed him or started him or not. Make your own analysis, don't assume that the teams and coaches are right.

And again, I'm not saying he's great. I'm not even saying he'll do a damn thing. But the few games that I have to base my opinion off of his regular season professional play, he looked very good.

KC_Guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs re-sign TE Richard Gordon to 1 yr deal worth 645k.
Not sure what that means other than that it may hurt us in FFMD - unless we release him Wink

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/14/5411834/chiefs-2014-free-agents-richard-gordon-kansas-city
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting tidbit I found by accident:

Obviously Neiko Thorpe re-signed with the Chiefs on Jan 13:

http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=&transactionYear=&transactionTeamAbbr=KC&prevTransactionMonth=2&prevTransactionYear=2013&prevTransactionTeamAbbr=KC

According to his wikipedia entry he was released by Toronto on Jan 14.
Coincidence?
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
Here's an interesting tidbit I found by accident:

Obviously Neiko Thorpe re-signed with the Chiefs on Jan 13:

http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=&transactionYear=&transactionTeamAbbr=KC&prevTransactionMonth=2&prevTransactionYear=2013&prevTransactionTeamAbbr=KC

According to his wikipedia entry he was released by Toronto on Jan 14.
Coincidence?

Obviously NFL.com is wrong - he signed with the Raiders on Jan 13.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: