Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Divisional: San Francisco 49ers @ Carolina Panthers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UpperDecker30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Positives:

-Defense held up as long as they could. Obviously we still need some help at corner, and losing Mikell didn't help, but despite the 23 points on the board, the defense did their job [as a unit]

-I thought the offensive playcalling was good. The broadcast mentioned the lack of screens, but the one we did run was snuffed out immediately. The issues that eventually came were due to coverage downfield being too good [for the most part]

-Aside from the 2nd interception, Cam did a good job placing the ball and not making stupid throws.

-LaFell and Ginn. Not overly impressive on the stat sheet, but considering the limited snaps Smith played, I think they did a good job overall. They clearly aren't #1's, and I think they need that #1 presence to be consistently good, but they made the type of plays you expect from a #2 and #3 in a run heavy offense.

Negatives:

-Greg Hardy. We didn't get the Kraken, and today is was more like Greg Hardly. I'm setting my price point for him at $8 mil/year. If it takes more than that to keep him, I'll be more than fine to see him walk.

-Secondary. No surprise, but the corners got manhandled. I think the 2nd round is looking like a great spot to get a physical corner.

-Offensive line. Bell did alright in pass pro, but very, very poorly in the run game (usually its the other way around). And Nate Chandler played poorly overall. Can't really be too upset with how Chandler was playing, given he's very raw at the position, but it was just bad. I'm liking RG as a pick in the first round. A guy like Gabe Jackson would be great. Hopefully Silatolu can come back healthy, and if not maybe Kugbila can work in at LG. Wharton was good the last half of the season, but at his age we can't really count on that.

-Penalties. I'll get into some of the questionable stuff later, but you could easily put 10 points on pure stupidity.

-Smith. Clearly not 100% for the whole game. Played a much lower % of snaps that what he usually would.

-Cam's pocket presence. Specifically on the back-to-back sacks, I felt like there was room for him to move within the pocket, but instead he hunkered down and eventually just took the sacks.

So...penalties. I think Mitchell's hit on the first drive fits the "unnecessary" bill for sure, but the ball was still in play as he was about to hit him, so I think the penalty was weak.

Next up is Munnerlyn's headbutt. I'm fine with them calling that, and like the first penalty, it extended a drive that eventually ended in a field goal. But the problem is consistency. The last drive of the half Boldin did exactly the same thing after a big play...no call. I don't think that calling the 12 men in the huddle changes the TD play, but a 15 yard penalty on Boldin (putting them at the 26 instead of the 11) certainly changes things.

As for the 12 men non-call, I'd really love to hear what Luke and some other players say about it. The bigger deal here isn't the five yards, but the personnel on defense. Vance McDonald came into the huddle, then left. Did the Panthers see that and decide to change personnel? Would they have gone with something different knowing it wasn't a 2 TE set? This is impossible for us to answer, but I'd love to hear what the players have to say.

In the 2nd half I didn't have any problem with a call. I think the "roughing" on Cam is a bad rule, but it was called 100% in accordance to the rules. Dumb rule, but right call.

So really the only thing I think should've changed is that the 49ers are outside of the redzone with under a minute to go, rather than at the 11. Obviously you never know what could happen, but they hadn't been moving the ball all that well at that point. I'm confident we hold them to a field goal there, so we'll call it a 4 point difference, so no real change in the outcome by simply looking at the score.

But it was a momentous moment. Not only did they have a better chance for their eventual score, but they gained a boost of swagger. Boldin especially feeds off of this, and from that point on he terrorized our secondary. So I think, in the long-run, that call helps them more than just that TD. Boldin and that physical swagger was their only effective target in moving the ball. So I think we see a very different second half offense from the 49ers if he had been called for that headbutt. Even if they had still managed to score a TD at the end of the first half.

On the penalties, as a neutral fan (Vikings), I have to say that I felt the Panthers got screwed. It seems like just about every scoring drive for the Niners had some very questionable call/no-call go their way. I didn't like the Headbutt call and especially the multiple headbutt no-call on the Niners after that. The call on Mitchell was garbage as well. Also, that almost 40-yard rush by Gore should have been brought back, as Kuechly could have tackled him but you could see him being held in the replay. And do I need to even say anything about the 12 men on the field? It could have been a great game, but the officiating ruined it for me.

And I do put blame on the Panthers for falling apart in the 2nd half, but the officiating was just absolutely brutal, IMO.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
Look at all of my posts in this thread. Not once have I said that this loss was "all on Cam". Never said that. I know that this is a team sport. On those 2 sacks I mentioned, the protection wasn't great but it's not like it was horrible either. He could have stepped up, could have flushed out. He just stood there and let the pocket collapse on top of him.

We do need more offensive weapons, there's no denying that. We need a big time WR and probably a TE too. Our running game didn't show up today.

I felt like he definitely had room to move in the pocket on those two sacks. I agree with what you're saying. He could have done better, but you'd like to see a receiver bail him out there.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
Also, did Greg Hardy play this game?

We should still re-sign him. Dude is a beast when he's on. Just disappointing he wasn't much of a factor.

To the first part, I'd say Greg Hardly played today.

And he's definitely a beast when he's on, but is he on often enough? 10 sacks in 3 games, 5 in 14 more. Not exactly consistent.

Yeah, he is a complicated player. I think this game just made it to where we know we can't break the bank for him but I have a feeling Gettleman never planned on doing so considered we haven't bothered to negotiate with him.

What is really concerning is we have so many starters and valuable players hitting free agency this offseason. Some of them won't be too expensive like Mitchell and Munnerlyn. So for me if I am Gettleman, I am setting a price for Hardy and Hardy either accepts it or he walks because I would rather re-sign 3-5 valuable pieces to our team than break the bank for one player, one player that we do not necessarily need when our defensive line has some very good players.

I am going to miss the attitude Hardy brings to our team, though.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UpperDecker30 wrote:
On the penalties, as a neutral fan (Vikings), I have to say that I felt the Panthers got screwed. It seems like just about every scoring drive for the Niners had some very questionable call/no-call go their way. I didn't like the Headbutt call and especially the multiple headbutt no-call on the Niners after that. The call on Mitchell was garbage as well. Also, that almost 40-yard rush by Gore should have been brought back, as Kuechly could have tackled him but you could see him being held in the replay. And do I need to even say anything about the 12 men on the field? It could have been a great game, but the officiating ruined it for me.

And I do put blame on the Panthers for falling apart in the 2nd half, but the officiating was just absolutely brutal, IMO.

On the Kuechly/Gore run, I saw that, and it looked strange, but I think Kuechly was holding inside leverage, then Gore cut back and Kuechly was in a poor position to get back into the play. I could see a holding call, but at the same time it was almost like Kuechly held himself.
UpperDecker30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:

On the Kuechly/Gore run, I saw that, and it looked strange, but I think Kuechly was holding inside leverage, then Gore cut back and Kuechly was in a poor position to get back into the play. I could see a holding call, but at the same time it was almost like Kuechly held himself.

It looked to me like he could have reached out and at least slowed Gore down, but his arm was being held down.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:

hahaha hissy fit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

Someone needs to make this into a street fighter or dragon ball z thing.
rjkilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope this isn't hardys last game as panther cuz it was a dud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Really? Cam didn't play great, but far from garbage. He had an EXCELLENT first half but in the 2nd half our defense stepped it up. Just as Wilson didn't play great vs the Seahawks, and Kaepernick didn't play great today. These are young QBs going up against ELITE defenses.

But anyways, good game fellas this was a real old school game. The season is an absolute success for you guys as NO one thought they would be hosting a playoff game. I think the real difference is we have a lot of playoff experience so we kept our composure while some of your guys didn't.

Good luck next season!

Thank you. Appreciate every word. And agree.

Good luck going forward.

CK on the sig
RabidPanther89

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still very proud of our team. No ever gave us credit or respect the whole way here. We overachieved with deficiencies on the oline and WR. But I will say the officiating absolutely impacted the game today and was largely one sided. Teams work too hard and fans pay too much money to come to these games to see themselves cheated by people that can't do their job.

The Panthers are an o-lineman and a WR away from being able to crush about anybody as it stands. SF got away with one today. Though I will say the Panthers could not perform in the 2nd half.
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RabidPanther89 wrote:
Im still very proud of our team. No ever gave us credit or respect the whole way here. We overachieved with deficiencies on the oline and WR. But I will say the officiating absolutely impacted the game today and was largely one sided. Teams work too hard and fans pay too much money to come to these games to see themselves cheated by people that can't do their job.

The Panthers are an o-lineman and a WR away from being able to crush about anybody as it stands. SF got away with one today. Though I will say the Panthers could not perform in the 2nd half.

I really agree with this. If we can sure up the OL and find a huge offensive playmaker, we are back in business.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

observations from a Raiders fan. I really really wanted the Panthers to win.

1. Cam's 1st pick was thrown to G Olsen (watch his hands after the ball is released) but LaFell put his hand up and caused the pick. Why were 3 receivers so close together? 2 that close together is a problem.

2. The right side of the O line is terrible and one starter over there got hurt in the 1Q. A benchwarmer was in before the goal line fiascoes further weakening the team's short yardage offense.
3. The coaches will get a pass in the media but they absolutely mismanaged the 2 goal line opportunities. They never attempted to go outside or fake outside to make the 9ers defend more than the interior.

4. God I thought Kaepernic's superman shirt move was classless.

The good news is that the offense has so little talent that improving it should not be that hard. No playoff offense gives their QB less to work with.
1. Your starting guard was a defensive lineman last year
2. Ginn was pulled from the niners garbage can.
3. Smith is done as a star.
4. Shula is competent but not dynamic.
5. Cam has less offensive help than any playoff QB. He has less offensive talent than my Raiders.

Cam is sort of like LBJ on the Cavs. You need Cam to get crucial 1st downs on the ground. You need him to throw wrs open like the TD pass. He has to carry the offense.
In this process Cam's revived Smiths and Ginn's careers.
If you had Hakeem Nicks and Kevin Boothe (I mention them because your GM knows them well) the panthers probably would have been enuf to win the game today.

I'd take a long look at J Macklin too.

If the GM is wise there are plenty of 1-2 mil dollar FA's like SS Charles Woodson, tracy porter and Wr Jacoby Ford ( I mention them because I know the Raiders) that could help you.

Whatever FA's you get will look better than they did on their last team.

Worst case scenario pay Hardy. Draft o line and go FA wr. The former #1 draft WR from Tenn is a hell of a talent.
AndyLeesAunt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wizardg wrote:

4. God I thought Kaepernic's superman shirt move was classless.

Someone on Carolina's D kaepernicked after they sacked him in the week 10 game
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
Congratulations on an amazing season Panther fans. Cam just needs more weapons, and hopefully you guys can get them in the post season.

We're never going anywhere with Cam. I dunno how many seasons we need for people to understand this.

It's his first playoff game.

Hell, it's pretty much the entire teams first playoff game. And our coaches first playoff game as a HC.

jesus, we just came off a completely improbable 12 win season where our team showed great improvement in so many areas (Cam in particular) and people are ready to jump off a cliff because we didnt beat a good, more experienced and better built team in the playoffs.

Guys, we lost. It's not the end of the world. Every team but one loses in the playoffs. I dont know about you, but I am glad we made it, glad we got some post season experience and glad we didnt completely poop the bed. We are an up and coming team. We have a lot to be happy about.

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
Look at all of my posts in this thread. Not once have I said that this loss was "all on Cam". Never said that. I know that this is a team sport. On those 2 sacks I mentioned, the protection wasn't great but it's not like it was horrible either. He could have stepped up, could have flushed out. He just stood there and let the pocket collapse on top of him.

We do need more offensive weapons, there's no denying that. We need a big time WR and probably a TE too. Our running game didn't show up today.

No. He's just the only one that you are saying will never be any good and we need to get rid of.

What's funny is, for 13 weeks, you had nothing to say except "I guess I was wrong about the guy." And at the first sign of trouble youre back to "he's no good, he'll never be any good, we need to can his butt and start over."

CK on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: