Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Key free agents to acquire.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
We'll find out in 5 days or less. Do you think Cleveland would match him if he didnt want to be there?
Depends on how disgruntled they think he would be. If they don't think he would quit on the team or or cause a problem in the locker room, it probably doesn't play a factor.

I think this whole "he isnt happy there" thing is a bit overblown. Seems like just as many things 1 way as the other

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I don't even care to reply to some Browns fans. It's just stupid at this point.

#BortlesKombat
CBrownsman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you guys take what browns fans say with a grain of salt, but I've been following Mack for a long time, in college and in the pros, and I have a friend who works for the organization (Browns) and knows him pretty well.

As a Browns fan, here is my take on everything that's happened.

- Mack is signing this deal because he doesn't want to go back to Cleveland.

If he didn't want to go back to Cleveland, he could have just signed the Transition tag and played for 1 year, 10 million. If they were to tag him again for a second year it would have jumped to 12 million (unlikely they would have done it), and the third year would have jumped to an impressive 17.28 Million. Mack would never have played for more than 2 years under the franchise anyway. Signing the offer sheet does guarantee his money if he gets hurt, but it not the best way to leave town if he really wanted out.

- Reports that Mack want's out of Cleveland and doesn't want to stay

Just last year Mack was really happy with the organization and told Cleveland that he would give the browns the ability to match any contract offer in free agency. Once the firing of the first year coaching staff and front office took place, Mack was clearly not happy that he lost a Head Coach, and Offensive line coach that he liked. He didn't know if he would like the next group but knew he liked how passionate the fans of Cleveland are and how much they showed up even though they didn't always win. I'm sure he is very open to the opportunity in Jacksonville and would love to be a part of that organization but the idea that he HATES it in Cleveland has been very overblown.

- Reports that Mack's Agent could make it VERY difficult for him to resign in Cleveland

This kind of goes with the last part, and was the main reason for people believing that Mack wouldn't want to return. All i ask you here what do you think an agent is going to say when he want's to get a deal from another team. Why would anyone bother taking the time to formulate an offer sheet if Cleveland could just match it anyway. They had to make it a little different with the possibility that Cleveland wouldn't match to formulate one in the first place.

- This current offer sheet is Better for Jacksonville, or better for the Browns

You know who this offer sheet is the best for? MACK. He is one of the top Centers in the game. He now has the ability to play for 2 years at 9 million a year (Highest paid at his position by 1 million). Its all guaranteed, and if he gets hurt he can guarantee himself another 8 just by accepting the option. If he decides that EITHER team is not moving in the direction he had hoped they would, he can take his 18 million dollars, and go find a winning team to play for and still probably get close to 8 million a year for 3 years. Why else would he have the promise of no franchise or transition tag? The idea he agrees to the option with either of these teams unless he feels he can't get more on the open market, or is really happy with the direction the team is moving, would be crazy.

- Why the browns transitioned him

Here is what I really think happened. It wasn't so that the browns could save 1.5 million dollars. The Browns and Mack were debating a contract for quite some time, but couldn't agree on Market Value. So finally the browns guaranteed that they could get him back the next year by using that transition tag, while allowing Mack to go visit teams and see if he can find this "Market Value" on his own.

- Jaguars gift wrapped Mack with this deal

The Jags gift wrapped this deal for Mack. This is more than he could have ever dreamed of. The fact that hes a transition player and the browns could match actually gave him the player option and better guaranteed money. This couldn't work out better for him. Its not as good a deal for the Jags or the Browns. That being said its still better for the browns than just Transitioning him. If we had done it year and year again after 2 years we would have owed him 22 million dollars if we franchised him again anyway. If we had transition tagged him and signed him to a long term deal over the next 2 years we probably would have owed him around 18 anyway. It doesn't hinder the browns financially, its almost identical financially to transitioning him and singing him.

- My Overall Oppinion

I think I've made it clear that Mack as CLEARLY won this. That being said its not a huge risk for the Jags or the Browns. They are paying him him on average $214,000 more than the highest paid center in football (which i thought was what he would get on the open market). There opt out does suck for both teams (Because there is a high chance he would use it with both). There is a risk that if he gets injured he has 26 million Guaranteed, but this is a player who has never missed a snap. That's a risk i would be willing to take for someone who is impressive on every level.

Moral of the story if we don't match i will be very upset because hes a HECK of a player. You guys did a great job.

If we do accept it will suck that we could lose him again in 2 years but at least we have him for 2 more years.

But overall...great for Mack. Hes exactly the guy you want in your locker room. A leader, NEVER gets injured, and a great person. I wish the best for him either way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I really hope we get him bc if we dont it will be my fault Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/alex-mack-situation-benefits-all-cleveland-browns-jacksonville-jaguars-041114

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Well that didn't take long: Browns are matching Jacksonville's offer sheet for C Alex Mack. Cleveland keeps Mack, per source.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/454710321895063552
Tom Brady Tribute
JaguarsFan28329

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Well that didn't take long: Browns are matching Jacksonville's offer sheet for C Alex Mack. Cleveland keeps Mack, per source.

Oh well, Didn't expect it to go any other way. Twas fun to hope though lol.

Proud. Bold. Committed -- Stand United. That's the theme for the Jaguars and the primary message for year ahead.
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the petty bickering at points (myself included), it was fun to have a distraction from the dog days before the draft.

You guys did convince me you have something going in the right direction, so best of luck to you moving forward.

'14 ADOPT A BROWN(S)
PAUL KRUGER stats:
TRAVIS BENJAMIN stats:
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mack went anywhere other than Cleveland I would of liked it to be you guys.

Glad he is a brown for two more years. Which makes him 30 when he can opt out.

Good luck in the draft. Please don't take Johnny at 3 but if you do you will instantly be my 2 nfl team.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
MJD4MVP5455

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickBrownie wrote:
Despite the petty bickering at points (myself included), it was fun to have a distraction from the dog days before the draft.

You guys did convince me you have something going in the right direction, so best of luck to you moving forward.

Dog Days...is that a browns pun. In all seriousness though good luck to you guys as well

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry guys, its all my fault Sad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC should have to wear a sig that decries him for this.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
JC should have to wear a sig that decries him for this.

I dont have it in me to do that Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarsFan28329 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:

I was at work when my friend told me. I screamed an expletive loudly, you should of seen my boss's face when I told him why. He was like "Are you four?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
JaguarsFan28329 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:

I was at work when my friend told me. I screamed an expletive loudly, you should of seen my boss's face when I told him why. He was like "Are you four?"

Laughing Thats nothing compared to the possibilities during the draft. If we pass on Teddy/Clowney this place will go nuts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: