Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Schuab
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LORK 88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're keeping Schaub (which scares me), we need to restructure his deal or get him to take a pay cut.

TEXANS NATION LONGTIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigDallasFan wrote:
Yay! Schaub is getting traded. I think a 3rd or 4th RD pick would be fair compensation for him.

...so, do you enjoy being wrong all the time, or are you just throwing crap on the wall and seeing what sticks? I actually think a monkey flinging his poo might be a whole grade level smarter than you.

So, to any monkeys flinging poo who are reading this, many pardons. Didn't mean to compare you to this guy.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
biggio7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
bigDallasFan wrote:
Yay! Schaub is getting traded. I think a 3rd or 4th RD pick would be fair compensation for him.

...so, do you enjoy being wrong all the time, or are you just throwing crap on the wall and seeing what sticks? I actually think a monkey flinging his poo might be a whole grade level smarter than you.

So, to any monkeys flinging poo who are reading this, many pardons. Didn't mean to compare you to this guy.

I don't even understand why people respond to comments like his especially with his name being a big Dallas fan. I mean, how can you take him seriously with that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is that we are in a bit of a chess game with the Rams, Jags, Browns, Raiders, Falcons, Bucs, and Vikes right now as we try to get out of #1 overall and stockpile picks in Belichick fashion. Jags, Browns, Raiders, Vikes, and us all need QBs and there are only 3 worthy of going in the top 10 (only one IMO = Teddy) which means 1 or 2 of those are going to have to either roll the dice on the next wave in the 2nd AND hope that Pitts, Dallas, Jets, Arizona, KC, etc don't grab one later in the first. If Cleveland passes at #4, they almost can't at #26. The Rams are actually in the driver's seat as they could easily go Tackle with Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan one of which will certainly to last until at least #9 and they aren't in the QB race with Bradford's salary still an anchor. The Jags and Raiders can easily justify defensive picks at #3 and #5 as they are clearly more than a QB away from contending. If I'm sitting in the GM chair at either of those places, I'm much more inclined to commit to sucking for Jameis, Mariota or possibly Hundley (with my boy Petty another likely 1st rounder) than swinging for Teddy, Johnny, or Bortles each of whom bring significantly high risk factors as top 5 picks. The way I see it, the mission is BOTH to bait the Raiders, Browns, or Vikes into thinking they need to move up to #1 to ensure they get their QB out of the top 3 AND to provide one of the others with a stop-gap option at QB (Schaub) so one of the big 3 falls to us assuming we go no lower than 8. McCown to the Bucs officially took them out of the QB running, so I can even see one of the big 3 falling all the way into the second half of the first.

Of course, it's also entirely possible that O'Brien is content to choose amongst Mallett and Hoyer as 2015 FAs or one of the aforementioned 2015 draft class guys. He also may have his eyes set on grooming a Jimmy Garoppolo type in the 3rd or even Aaron Murray late (we'll need a backup in 2015 anyway as I don't see Yates or Keenum getting resigned next year). I cannot see any scenario where burning $4.5 in cap savings to have O'Brien try to fix a 32 year old limited skillset damaged goods player like Schaub makes any sense. I can certainly see why Rick Smith would like to at least get something out of a 2012 Pro Bowler when a 34 year old journeyman like Josh McCown is being penciled in as a 2014 starter with $10 million committed over 2 years. Heck, given the dearth of starting caliber QBs available, I'm all for at least getting O'Brien a bonus 5th or 6th rounder out of a player that would be cut anyway since the cap impact is the same for us and the Raiders needing to get to the minimum cap without wanting to get into a long-term deal.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
SoufWest Texans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my topic was locked up and I know no one wants to hear that Schaub is sticking around but it was reported that the Texans are keeping him through 2014 on the NFL network. I wouldnt have posted it if it werent fact. I'm not listening to McClain at this point because seriously I dont think anyone knows what the hell is going on over there on Kirby
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoufWest Texans wrote:
Well my topic was locked up and I know no one wants to hear that Schaub is sticking around but it was reported that the Texans are keeping him through 2014 on the NFL network. I wouldnt have posted it if it werent fact. I'm not listening to McClain at this point because seriously I dont think anyone knows what the hell is going on over there on Kirby

Again do you have a link? The closest I can find is saying they "may" keep him. Not that they "will" keep him. BIG difference.

#JDI
SoufWest Texans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again do you have a link? The closest I can find is saying they "may" keep him. Not that they "will" keep him. BIG difference.
Quote:

It was breaking news on the NFL network so therefore NO i do not have a link. It did not say may keep him, IT said Matt Schaub WILL REMAIN WITH THE TEXANS THROUGH THE 2014 SEASON.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoufWest Texans wrote:
Quote:

It was breaking news on the NFL network so therefore NO i do not have a link. It did not say may keep him, IT said Matt Schaub WILL REMAIN WITH THE TEXANS THROUGH THE 2014 SEASON.

I wouldn't qualify anything on the NFL Network as "Breaking" or "News". They're just as bad as Disney Sports in terms of fabricating items for the sake of fabricating items.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
mse326

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoufWest Texans wrote:
Quote:

There is no way that there wouldn't be something on the internet to corroborate that. Even Pancakes would tell us that.

They either lied, or you're "misremembering" what you saw/heard.

#JDI
CAS22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/16/source-texans-and-raiders-in-serious-trade-talks-for-matt-schaub/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/16/source-texans-and-raiders-in-serious-trade-talks-for-matt-schaub/

Please let this be true!

Schaub for Matt McGloin+6th?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
SoufWest Texans wrote:
Quote:

There is no way that there wouldn't be something on the internet to corroborate that. Even Pancakes would tell us that.

They either lied, or you're "misremembering" what you saw/heard.

Even IF they said such a thing (which is very suspect considering nobody but this noob seems to have heard such a thing), any comments prior to the draft would have to be taken with a grain of salt as were are firmly within NFL "the lying season." The Texans have zero reason to tip their hand regarding Schaub prior to the draft and certainly wouldn't limit their options in the draft or free agency by publicly committing to Schaub. Unlike in the Kubiak era where we did stupid crap like cutting players early to give them maximum time to get a new job (oftentimes with a division or conference rival) which also oftentimes also telegraphed our draft priority, I fully expect the O'Brien era to be much more Patriots-esque where information is power and you don't give out any that doesn't serve a purpose.

My take thus far is that the Texans are quite content to sit out this first round of free agency, where historically the bulk of expensive mistakes are made, and shop the bargain basement bin. I don't have a problem at all watching the Titans waste $20 million on Michael Oher or laughable deals like Finnegan, Pettigrew, and Steve Smith got (Kubiak's WR incompetence may finally make Ozzie look bad). Let's remember that O'Brien hasn't so much as had a meeting with his own players yet, better yet had them on a practice field. I'd much prefer a conservative approach than going out and spending millions on say a RT if Brennan Williams or Quessenberry can get the job done.

I'm not crazy about letting Antonio walk for a very fair price of $4.5 million for 2 seasons, but I think Romeo wants at least one traditional 3-4 DE and Antonio's strength is really his ability to move around the line vs. being exceptional at any of them. We definitely need to replace his run stuffing skill, but I think we'll see some serious beef brought in at NT and RE. Losing Barwin to FA and Cushing to injury and Earl Mitchell being miscast as a NT exposed Whitney Mercilus run limitations even further and while we didn't get gashed vs. the run, it certainly seemed like we could never get a stop when we really needed it unlike '11 and '12.

Getting back to Schaub, IMO we don't make a move until it is crystal clear whether we take the entire hit in 2014 or split the pain between '14 and '15. Remember a trade is treated just like cutting a player for cap purposes with the signing bonus accelerating to the current league year. Right now, I'd say we are leaning to a pre June 1 cut/trade since we don't need the cap space this year and can lock up JJ with max space in 2015. I do wish we had made a move for a safety or a corner, but I think Chris Clemons would be an impactful low cost signing as he's an excellent coverage guy. I can absolutely see Schaub be moved on day 3 of the draft to a team who doesn't get a suitable starter or competition on the first 2 days.

Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....who would be a better starter for the Raiders, McGloin or Schaub?

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Did somebody mention teens?
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
So.....who would be a better starter for the Raiders, McGloin or Schaub?

Schaub helped us to #1 overall. IMO either one puts you in contention for Jameis, Mariota, or Hundley in 2015 to rebuild the offense after making some decent defensive moves this offseason (you guys will love Antonio).

On the other hand, Schaub could also very easily have a bounceback year as he was a Pro Bowler in 2012 before the o-line, run-game, and pathetically stale predictable Kubiak offense betrayed him in 2013. I'm sure everyone was yawning at the Alex Smith signing this time last year and he was just what they needed. He certainly shares a bunch of the blame for 2013, but if his head is right, he's still a top 25-30ish QB which McGloin certainly is not, nor will he ever be. Of course the last time you went to the well with Texans offensive talent, that got you Greg Knapp's ZBS and Mike Brisiel.

Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:

Since we play on real grass I'll take a lawn mower and 2 hot cheerleaders (Raiderettes) for Schaub.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: