Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jeff Tedford OC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
If you read the article, there is no substance to the Kiffin rumors, its centered around his relationship w/ Tedford, and the fact that he's Lane's kid. To the best of my knowledge Lovie has never worked w/ Lane, and what I have heard the relationship between Monte and Lovie was tenuous at best.

Yeah sapp hinted at that many times he was always a Marinelli guy never kiiffin.

Interested to see our qbs coach. I think defensively , Frazier is either DC or secondary coach , Nickerson served under lovie as lbs coach , although I'm bummed to see cox go.

Defiantly should keep Byner and bostad.
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking more and more like we are going to have a all start staff!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the surprise element next year will have teams not know what to key in about our offense. It'll all depend on how Glennon or whoever the QB will be is able to digest this so called "sophisticated" offense.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=104868#respond

Quote:
Tedford’s offense worked. In college. When he had the right recruits. But his list of former students is a frightening blend of busts and horrific NFL quarterbacks that should sober excited Bucs fans’ behavior.

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
A.J. Feeley

That’s just a horrific list, like a string of quarterbacks coming from some bad football-related Friday-The-13th-like flick. The fact the Bucs hired an offensive coordinator who boasts Kyle Boller as a prized pupil makes Joe want to grab a bottle of Stoli and begin chugging.

Joe will share a story he heard Super Bowl-winning quarterback and CBS NFL analyst Phil Simms tell about Aaron Rodgers to Adam Schein on SiriusXM NFL Radio earlier this year. Joe did not transcribe the conversation, so this is paraphrasing.

Simms talked about going to Packers training camp when Rodgers was a rookie. He said Rodgers’ terrible mechanics and weak arm shocked him and Simms couldn’t believe he was a first round draft pick and was certain Rodgers would have no successful future in the NFL.

The next season, Simms again went to Packers training camp and he was studying Brett Farve and Simms said out of the corner of his eye, he saw a quarterback race out of the pocket and fire a bullet to a receiver well downfield, hitting him on the numbers. Simms let out an audible “Wow!”

He turned to a Packers staffer and asked who that was. When he learned it was Rodgers, he couldn’t believe it. Simms said it was as if he was watching a totally different player who had dramatically smoothed out his mechanics and developed arm strength within a year.

This is quite interesting. Tedford, known as a qbs guru, never really developed a stud qb. Rodgers seemed to have all sorts of issues, which is why he dropped and Green Bay developed him.

I'm not ready to hop on board with this one quite yet. Maybe it's a system thing that can be successful to any qb. I know he introduced the spread during Carr's and Rodgers time.

Only time will tell. Not criticizing nor am I hopping on the bandwagon. We shall see how this works out.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:

Quote:
Tedford’s offense worked. In college. When he had the right recruits. But his list of former students is a frightening blend of busts and horrific NFL quarterbacks that should sober excited Bucs fans’ behavior.

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
A.J. Feeley

That’s just a horrific list, like a string of quarterbacks coming from some bad football-related Friday-The-13th-like flick. The fact the Bucs hired an offensive coordinator who boasts Kyle Boller as a prized pupil makes Joe want to grab a bottle of Stoli and begin chugging.

Joe will share a story he heard Super Bowl-winning quarterback and CBS NFL analyst Phil Simms tell about Aaron Rodgers to Adam Schein on SiriusXM NFL Radio earlier this year. Joe did not transcribe the conversation, so this is paraphrasing.

Simms talked about going to Packers training camp when Rodgers was a rookie. He said Rodgers’ terrible mechanics and weak arm shocked him and Simms couldn’t believe he was a first round draft pick and was certain Rodgers would have no successful future in the NFL.

The next season, Simms again went to Packers training camp and he was studying Brett Farve and Simms said out of the corner of his eye, he saw a quarterback race out of the pocket and fire a bullet to a receiver well downfield, hitting him on the numbers. Simms let out an audible “Wow!”

He turned to a Packers staffer and asked who that was. When he learned it was Rodgers, he couldn’t believe it. Simms said it was as if he was watching a totally different player who had dramatically smoothed out his mechanics and developed arm strength within a year.

This is quite interesting. Tedford, known as a qbs guru, never really developed a stud qb. Rodgers seemed to have all sorts of issues, which is why he dropped and Green Bay developed him.

I'm not ready to hop on board with this one quite yet. Maybe it's a system thing that can be successful to any qb. I know he introduced the spread during Carr's and Rodgers time.

Only time will tell. Not criticizing nor am I hopping on the bandwagon. We shall see how this works out.

Ok first off, that story he has about Rodgers is stupid for the sole fact Simms that he didn't know who Rodgers was years later, even though he was clearly still on the team, and obviously the guy who would be taking the snaps. Anyone who is an analyst and goes to those practices should know better. Did it take 4 or 5 years, or whatever it was, for Rodgers to develop because of this guy's bad teachings, or did it take that long for Favre to retire? Phil Simms also thought Chris Simms was great.

I think the bigger take home point is that Tedford can take QBs who aren't actually super great and make them look top pick worthy. I mean, while these guys are under his coaching umbrella, they are getting drafted high by NFL scouts and organizations. Is he out there fooling everyone? Or is he just making his system work for who is in it?

I understand some of the concern, I really do. But I don't understand how you can see that he made these guys into top picks and criticize him for failures that happened when these guys went elsewhere. It'd be like saying it is Sean Payton's fault that Nicks isn't working out super well for us, or that Leeman Bennett is credited with Steve Young's successful career.

2 of those guys QB'd their team to win Super Bowls, anyway.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roekg,

Again I'm not saying it's a bad hire. I do some research and there are some things you can question. I've seen many psyched about this hire, I'm on a wait and see basis about Tedford. No doubt he produced first round qbs. Maybe his system produced them. Maybe it was the nfl and couldn't adapt.

I'm not ready to crown this an "all star staff" quite yet on offense. Not saying it was your words. I know Tedford has some diversity to his offense. Spread, quick screens slants with balance that can mask a qbs deficiencies.

Defensively I'm loving the staff.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
Roekg,

Again I'm not saying it's a bad hire. I do some research and there are some things you can question. I've seen many psyched about this hire, I'm on a wait and see basis about Tedford. No doubt he produced first round qbs. Maybe his system produced them. Maybe it was the nfl and couldn't adapt.

I'm not ready to crown this an "all star staff" quite yet on offense. Not saying it was your words. I know Tedford has some diversity to his offense. Spread, quick screens slants with balance that can mask a qbs deficiencies.

I'm fine with asking questions, but your post paints a more "negative" picture than a "objectively analyzing" picture. I mean he relates those QBs to a football-related Friday the 13th flick. It's not exactly dripping with journalistic integrity.

All you can really say is those QBs were top QB material when they were with him, anything else regarding their careers, positive or negative, is speculative.
djw4bucs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
Roekg,

Tedford is a Perfect fit for Glennon and this offense, if we bring in Weapons and Protection for Glennon he will surprise you

Caaddy24 wrote:
SappDaddyDance wrote:

Huge fan of Brett Smith Part of me thinks this is the potential franchise QB...

lol sorry I had to laugh there
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djw4bucs wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
Roekg,

Tedford is a Perfect fit for Glennon and this offense, if we bring in Weapons and Protection for Glennon he will surprise you

If anyone listens to wdae, look up the joe theisman interview. He had a really good positive insight on glennon. Again, I'm on board with glennon competiting but I hope we give him legit competition to beat out and prove it.
djw4bucs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:

For Sure hope We get Rob mannerilli from Dallas
BTW Love your SIG

Caaddy24 wrote:
SappDaddyDance wrote:

Huge fan of Brett Smith Part of me thinks this is the potential franchise QB...

lol sorry I had to laugh there
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoeKG wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

Quote:

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
A.J. Feeley

Ok first off, that story he has about Rodgers is stupid for the sole fact Simms that he didn't know who Rodgers was years later, even though he was clearly still on the team, and obviously the guy who would be taking the snaps. Anyone who is an analyst and goes to those practices should know better. Did it take 4 or 5 years, or whatever it was, for Rodgers to develop because of this guy's bad teachings, or did it take that long for Favre to retire? Phil Simms also thought Chris Simms was great.

I think the bigger take home point is that Tedford can take QBs who aren't actually super great and make them look top pick worthy. I mean, while these guys are under his coaching umbrella, they are getting drafted high by NFL scouts and organizations. Is he out there fooling everyone? Or is he just making his system work for who is in it?

I understand some of the concern, I really do. But I don't understand how you can see that he made these guys into top picks and criticize him for failures that happened when these guys went elsewhere. It'd be like saying it is Sean Payton's fault that Nicks isn't working out super well for us, or that Leeman Bennett is credited with Steve Young's successful career.

2 of those guys QB'd their team to win Super Bowls, anyway.

It's funny...I look at that list of QBs and have the same reaction as you. Outside of Rodgers each of those QBs busted hard in NFL, but when Tedford had them they were prolific. He was able to build an offense that masked these guys deficiencies, and he did it consistently. That's more of a positive, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djw4bucs wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:

For Sure hope We get Rob mannerilli from Dallas
BTW Love your SIG

Ya I'm saying "all star" strictly off of the names that are being thrown around with Rod, Frazier, Sparano, Nickerson etc. whether the guys actually come to Tampa is another thing but the potential is there.

Thanks, gotta rep the new guy on campus! Probably bring the Watkins back closer to the draft Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this on PR by 3SK...Great stuff here

3rd String Kicker wrote:

Offensive Coordinator Jeff Tedford

By 3rd String Kicker

I don't watch a lot of teams on the west coast, so when I heard we were bringing in a coach from college football, my eyebrow raised. Jeff Tedford, the former California University coach has built himself quite a resume over the past two decades. He's groomed several 1st round draft pick quarterbacks, earning him the moniker, QB Guru. Think Smith, Carr, Harrington, Boller, Dilfer, Rodgers. Maybe they all didn't pan out, but he had a way to build around his guys and bring out their best qualities. Maybe none of them had noodle arms, but they were all in their own right, very different players. I took it upon myself, over the past few days to skip watching most of the bowl games and just watch some California games to see what it was we 'might' be doing. I can't promise these numbers are exact, they are more approximations. Some things are hard to take into account when I'm, sitting at home eating a hot pocket and the guys who actually know what's going on are calling the shots on the field.

Play Call Tendencies

His play-calling is alien to me. Jeff likes to spread the field and run some finesse plays. His offense does feature a lot of screens and outside runs, so the offensive line is going to need to be quick. I fear our line, as it is currently built, may be a liability under the new scheme and I expect we will target some new lineman, in either or perhaps both the draft and free agency. I expect that Demar Dotson should do well with this offense. This new offense won't feature as much carries for Doug Martin, but he'll still see a lot of touches. He may be used similarly to how Matt Forte was used in Chicago, but I'm not saying that because Lovie is the head coach now. It just seems Tedford features his backs in the passing game. I am on record now and since he was drafted, of being a fan of Erik Lorig. He's a quality fullback, but looking at this offense, I don't feel confident he will be a part of it. It looks like Jeff likes to use his fullback quite a bit in the passing game and I haven't seen enough progress from Erik the past few seasons in the passing game to give me the confidence he'll do well under the new scheme. I would like to see the team keep Erik, which looks to potentially be void of power personnel, but he may be on the bubble if the team feels they can find someone who provides a better fit.

Something I thought was interesting was the layout of the formations, specifically out of the gun. He'll throw 3 or 4 receivers on one side and overload it quite a bit. I saw a little bit of the pistol formation, but I don't expect to see it in the professional league. Also, he'd feature shotgun with two backs to the quarterbacks side very frequently, sometimes both backs on the same side as opposed to being on each side of the quarterback. His offense seems to have some wrinkles that could fit well for an H-back type of player.

Playaction

The playfakes always seem variable on how the opposing teams respect the back. With a Marshawn Lynch, a defense would stay home for example. Sully did a great job utilizing play fakes in Tampa, I think this is going to get scaled back in Tedford's offense. This is one where the jury is out if this will be positive or not. If you play fake all the time, it is less effective. If you don't do it enough, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a third and long and also at the bottom of the league for 20+ yard plays.

Audibles

This one is a bit harder to decipher. I basically looked for moments where the quarterback looked over to the sideline and made a drastic change to the play. In about 6% of the plays, I could see the quarterbacks checking with Tedford to see what needed to be adjusted. Professionally, I would expect that Mike is going to make these adjustments on the field and not look over to Tedford. Another reason why this is important to note, is the overall temp of the game. In Tedford's offense, I frequently saw them approaching the LOS with about 15-20 seconds, which is plenty of time to make pre-snap reads and get the ball off. In Sullivan's offense, it was much more down-tempo, the team would get to the line. I hope to see less delay of game penalties with this new offense, it looks that way based on what I've seen.

Motion

I really like seeing an offense utilize motion, perhaps I was spoiled as a fan under Jon Gruden. Putting a receiver in motion can do a number of things and create matchup advantages for an offense. I watch teams like Green Bay and New Orleans utilize this appropriately and it works great. The concept, by putting a receiver in motion you hope to see a defender trailing the motion man. This identifies, generally, a man coverage defense. If no defender is trailing, this lets the quarterback know there may be a zone defense. You also create the opportunity to give a receiver momentum or catch a defense off-balance for a finesse run to the outside. Under Sullivan, I would see Vincent Jackson do a slight motion inside frequently. He generally wouldn't go across the field, so a defender, even in man-coverage could mask that he may giving a zone look because he could tell Vincent was not crossing. This made Glennon's reads presumably more difficult. I think Tedford, being a QB guru will utilize a little more motion than Sully did. In my samples, I didn't see Tedford utilizing motion on his runs but maybe once, a good defense may pick up on that if it becomes a habit and tip their hat to a potential pass play. He needs to be consistent and balanced with plays utilizing motion, unless of course motion isn't by design, in which case, I hope Mike or whomever is our signal caller, is taught to use it more effectively.

Personnel Grouping
31% - 11
25% - 20
18% - 21
13% - 10
5% - 12
4% - 00
4% - 01

So what does this all mean? Well, basically what it means is that Tedford, at least in college chose not to run a power offense, taking note of the lack of three tight end packages. I would not rule out him using 3 tight ends in a formation professionally, but I think it may be scarce, whereas we were more accustomed to this with Sullivan. To Tedford, having a fullback out there was a power formation. I expect the Buccaneers to carry 3 tight ends under Tedford, as opposed to 4 as some teams have in the past. Generally, he runs an empty set when his team is trailing, in my samples, I didn't see much of this early on. The goal packages I was viewing featured two backs and one tight end or two backs and three wide.

The Quarterback Position
It's funny, I supported the team drafting Mike Glennon and wished we would get him last season. Now that we have him, I find that I'm concerned he may not be the #1 guy. Still, it is important to note some things when you look at Glennon and how he may work under the new system. Tedford has coached a lot of quarterbacks. Look at the names: Akili Smith, Trent Dilfer, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers. A bunch of quarterbacks with howitzers for arms. When you look at it, it becomes clear, arm strength is a quality that Tedford is very high on. Even less successful quarterbacks in his systems could put the ball down the field well. This is something Glennon can definitely do. A lot of these guys have a little more than just functional mobility, which is where some concerns may come in for Mike. In watching his offense, I see a lot of sprintouts and rollouts, and I just dont see Glennon making enough throws on the move to be the total package Jeff may be looking for. The biggest quality Tedford is going to look for is football IQ. He needs a quarterback who will dedicate himself to the team, study the playbook, and put the time in. Fortunately for him, Josh Freeman is not his team's starting quarterback. I think Mike Glennon is a student of the game and this very well may be his highest quality. Word is, Jeff's playbook is quite massive and he is going to want a guy who can recite it to him in alphabetical order.

The team may choose to draft a quarterback, and looking at a guy that everyone is excited about, Johnny Manziel, I just don't see a perfect marriage. Johnny can put the football down the field, but I don't see the firepower I've seen from his previous marriages. The mobility is awesome and would do well, but another concern would be how Manziel's head would be in the game. If you're investing a pick in the top 10 on a quarterback, having one out of three probably isn't going to cut it. Teddy Bridgewater would be perfect, if he could fall to the Buccaneers or we traded up, but that is highly unlikely unless Beatles123 can spread a rumor that he is shooting up heroin. If Derek Carr falls to round 2, and the team hasn't made a move, I would expect the Buccaneers would take a good long look at him. Tedford had success with his brother previously. I don't like a fit with A.J. McCarron, he's a good prospect but I just don't see him doing well in this offense. One guy I've been keeping an eye on, is Blake Bortles. If he is available, the team may go after him for his physical skill set. My concern, is his football IQ and I'm sure Tedford and the team's scouts will interview him to get to know him better. Some of the turnovers I see are bad, really bad.

If it were me, making the call today. The safe move in my eyes, would be to stick with Glennon and build the trenches with the first pick. The best fit for this offense via the draft would be to either trade up and get Bridgewater or wait in hopes that Bortles will be there. The combine hasn't occurred yet, so I expect some players will rise and fall, but Bortles shouldn't have any problems with the combine. I like Johnny Football as much as anyone, and I'll cheer if he's the guy at #7, but I just think Johnny is going to do what Johnny is going to do, regardless of what offense he goes to and the track record for these kind of players isn't particularly high. He would certainly sell some jerseys and put fans in the seats though. The biggest element to the draft is the one we may never see, how the player interviews. I look forward to watching, if for only a minute, Gruden's short interviews with the prospects. I also wouldn't rule out an offensive lineman in round 1. We've invested a lot of money in our offensive line over the past five seasons, but an argument can be made that it has amounted to nothing but dead cap space. I know, you're probably thinking, yuck, an offensive lineman. Truth be told, the performance of this line is really going to be put to the test this season and that if we roll with the dice we've got, we might be picking high again.

Penny for your thoughts... Not Really... I'm broke... give them to me for free though

Would you stick with Glennon or draft new blood at the position?

Is Erik Lorig a Buccaneer in 2014?

What personnel would you carry into 2014 in terms of how many RBs,FBs,TEs?

What are your concerns about our offensive line, giving this style of play?

Thoughts on the lack of power personnel packages?

Sincerely,
(3sk)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
found this on PR by 3SK...Great stuff here

3rd String Kicker wrote:

Offensive Coordinator Jeff Tedford

By 3rd String Kicker

I don't watch a lot of teams on the west coast, so when I heard we were bringing in a coach from college football, my eyebrow raised. Jeff Tedford, the former California University coach has built himself quite a resume over the past two decades. He's groomed several 1st round draft pick quarterbacks, earning him the moniker, QB Guru. Think Smith, Carr, Harrington, Boller, Dilfer, Rodgers. Maybe they all didn't pan out, but he had a way to build around his guys and bring out their best qualities. Maybe none of them had noodle arms, but they were all in their own right, very different players. I took it upon myself, over the past few days to skip watching most of the bowl games and just watch some California games to see what it was we 'might' be doing. I can't promise these numbers are exact, they are more approximations. Some things are hard to take into account when I'm, sitting at home eating a hot pocket and the guys who actually know what's going on are calling the shots on the field.

Play Call Tendencies

His play-calling is alien to me. Jeff likes to spread the field and run some finesse plays. His offense does feature a lot of screens and outside runs, so the offensive line is going to need to be quick. I fear our line, as it is currently built, may be a liability under the new scheme and I expect we will target some new lineman, in either or perhaps both the draft and free agency. I expect that Demar Dotson should do well with this offense. This new offense won't feature as much carries for Doug Martin, but he'll still see a lot of touches. He may be used similarly to how Matt Forte was used in Chicago, but I'm not saying that because Lovie is the head coach now. It just seems Tedford features his backs in the passing game. I am on record now and since he was drafted, of being a fan of Erik Lorig. He's a quality fullback, but looking at this offense, I don't feel confident he will be a part of it. It looks like Jeff likes to use his fullback quite a bit in the passing game and I haven't seen enough progress from Erik the past few seasons in the passing game to give me the confidence he'll do well under the new scheme. I would like to see the team keep Erik, which looks to potentially be void of power personnel, but he may be on the bubble if the team feels they can find someone who provides a better fit.

Something I thought was interesting was the layout of the formations, specifically out of the gun. He'll throw 3 or 4 receivers on one side and overload it quite a bit. I saw a little bit of the pistol formation, but I don't expect to see it in the professional league. Also, he'd feature shotgun with two backs to the quarterbacks side very frequently, sometimes both backs on the same side as opposed to being on each side of the quarterback. His offense seems to have some wrinkles that could fit well for an H-back type of player.

Playaction

The playfakes always seem variable on how the opposing teams respect the back. With a Marshawn Lynch, a defense would stay home for example. Sully did a great job utilizing play fakes in Tampa, I think this is going to get scaled back in Tedford's offense. This is one where the jury is out if this will be positive or not. If you play fake all the time, it is less effective. If you don't do it enough, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a third and long and also at the bottom of the league for 20+ yard plays.

Audibles

This one is a bit harder to decipher. I basically looked for moments where the quarterback looked over to the sideline and made a drastic change to the play. In about 6% of the plays, I could see the quarterbacks checking with Tedford to see what needed to be adjusted. Professionally, I would expect that Mike is going to make these adjustments on the field and not look over to Tedford. Another reason why this is important to note, is the overall temp of the game. In Tedford's offense, I frequently saw them approaching the LOS with about 15-20 seconds, which is plenty of time to make pre-snap reads and get the ball off. In Sullivan's offense, it was much more down-tempo, the team would get to the line. I hope to see less delay of game penalties with this new offense, it looks that way based on what I've seen.

Motion

I really like seeing an offense utilize motion, perhaps I was spoiled as a fan under Jon Gruden. Putting a receiver in motion can do a number of things and create matchup advantages for an offense. I watch teams like Green Bay and New Orleans utilize this appropriately and it works great. The concept, by putting a receiver in motion you hope to see a defender trailing the motion man. This identifies, generally, a man coverage defense. If no defender is trailing, this lets the quarterback know there may be a zone defense. You also create the opportunity to give a receiver momentum or catch a defense off-balance for a finesse run to the outside. Under Sullivan, I would see Vincent Jackson do a slight motion inside frequently. He generally wouldn't go across the field, so a defender, even in man-coverage could mask that he may giving a zone look because he could tell Vincent was not crossing. This made Glennon's reads presumably more difficult. I think Tedford, being a QB guru will utilize a little more motion than Sully did. In my samples, I didn't see Tedford utilizing motion on his runs but maybe once, a good defense may pick up on that if it becomes a habit and tip their hat to a potential pass play. He needs to be consistent and balanced with plays utilizing motion, unless of course motion isn't by design, in which case, I hope Mike or whomever is our signal caller, is taught to use it more effectively.

Personnel Grouping
31% - 11
25% - 20
18% - 21
13% - 10
5% - 12
4% - 00
4% - 01

So what does this all mean? Well, basically what it means is that Tedford, at least in college chose not to run a power offense, taking note of the lack of three tight end packages. I would not rule out him using 3 tight ends in a formation professionally, but I think it may be scarce, whereas we were more accustomed to this with Sullivan. To Tedford, having a fullback out there was a power formation. I expect the Buccaneers to carry 3 tight ends under Tedford, as opposed to 4 as some teams have in the past. Generally, he runs an empty set when his team is trailing, in my samples, I didn't see much of this early on. The goal packages I was viewing featured two backs and one tight end or two backs and three wide.

The Quarterback Position
It's funny, I supported the team drafting Mike Glennon and wished we would get him last season. Now that we have him, I find that I'm concerned he may not be the #1 guy. Still, it is important to note some things when you look at Glennon and how he may work under the new system. Tedford has coached a lot of quarterbacks. Look at the names: Akili Smith, Trent Dilfer, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers. A bunch of quarterbacks with howitzers for arms. When you look at it, it becomes clear, arm strength is a quality that Tedford is very high on. Even less successful quarterbacks in his systems could put the ball down the field well. This is something Glennon can definitely do. A lot of these guys have a little more than just functional mobility, which is where some concerns may come in for Mike. In watching his offense, I see a lot of sprintouts and rollouts, and I just dont see Glennon making enough throws on the move to be the total package Jeff may be looking for. The biggest quality Tedford is going to look for is football IQ. He needs a quarterback who will dedicate himself to the team, study the playbook, and put the time in. Fortunately for him, Josh Freeman is not his team's starting quarterback. I think Mike Glennon is a student of the game and this very well may be his highest quality. Word is, Jeff's playbook is quite massive and he is going to want a guy who can recite it to him in alphabetical order.

The team may choose to draft a quarterback, and looking at a guy that everyone is excited about, Johnny Manziel, I just don't see a perfect marriage. Johnny can put the football down the field, but I don't see the firepower I've seen from his previous marriages. The mobility is awesome and would do well, but another concern would be how Manziel's head would be in the game. If you're investing a pick in the top 10 on a quarterback, having one out of three probably isn't going to cut it. Teddy Bridgewater would be perfect, if he could fall to the Buccaneers or we traded up, but that is highly unlikely unless Beatles123 can spread a rumor that he is shooting up heroin. If Derek Carr falls to round 2, and the team hasn't made a move, I would expect the Buccaneers would take a good long look at him. Tedford had success with his brother previously. I don't like a fit with A.J. McCarron, he's a good prospect but I just don't see him doing well in this offense. One guy I've been keeping an eye on, is Blake Bortles. If he is available, the team may go after him for his physical skill set. My concern, is his football IQ and I'm sure Tedford and the team's scouts will interview him to get to know him better. Some of the turnovers I see are bad, really bad.

If it were me, making the call today. The safe move in my eyes, would be to stick with Glennon and build the trenches with the first pick. The best fit for this offense via the draft would be to either trade up and get Bridgewater or wait in hopes that Bortles will be there. The combine hasn't occurred yet, so I expect some players will rise and fall, but Bortles shouldn't have any problems with the combine. I like Johnny Football as much as anyone, and I'll cheer if he's the guy at #7, but I just think Johnny is going to do what Johnny is going to do, regardless of what offense he goes to and the track record for these kind of players isn't particularly high. He would certainly sell some jerseys and put fans in the seats though. The biggest element to the draft is the one we may never see, how the player interviews. I look forward to watching, if for only a minute, Gruden's short interviews with the prospects. I also wouldn't rule out an offensive lineman in round 1. We've invested a lot of money in our offensive line over the past five seasons, but an argument can be made that it has amounted to nothing but dead cap space. I know, you're probably thinking, yuck, an offensive lineman. Truth be told, the performance of this line is really going to be put to the test this season and that if we roll with the dice we've got, we might be picking high again.

Penny for your thoughts... Not Really... I'm broke... give them to me for free though

Would you stick with Glennon or draft new blood at the position?

Is Erik Lorig a Buccaneer in 2014?

What personnel would you carry into 2014 in terms of how many RBs,FBs,TEs?

What are your concerns about our offensive line, giving this style of play?

Thoughts on the lack of power personnel packages?

Sincerely,
(3sk)

Excellent post. I personally don't care what type of offense we have as long as it works. With that being said, if Tedford runs a west coast offense, ala Green Bay, it will take 1-2 years of changing personnel around to get it there as well as Glennon learning before our offense could be top 10. If Glennon isn't "their" guy then it could take longer. FA and the draft will clue us into what type of offense Lovie and Teddy want to run I suppose.
Lil' Shorty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting article, BSH. A few takeaways I got..

- We will see a more balanced attack and the run run pass will be a distant memory.

- Sammy Watkins will be at the top of our wish list with Tedford liking to run screens and outside runs.

- Doug Martin will get a lot of touches, just not all on basic run plays. Look at not only Forte but Charles in KC and McCoy in Philly.

- We will not go TE heavy but a pass catcher could be a needed commodity.

- We may be saying bye to Lorig for a more agile guy. I like JC Copeland out of LSU in the 5th.

- Glennon might not be as mobile as Tedford would like cuz be does do a few roll out plays, but Glennon has a strong arm and will be the first one in and last one out each day at One Buc, something essential to be a QB for Tedford with such a complex offense that has so many plays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: