Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How Does Our Defense Stack Up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: How Does Our Defense Stack Up? Reply with quote

I'm curious how our defense stacks up to great defenses of the past. Haven't seen any comparisons from unbiased "experts" or anything. I know that rule changes, offensive philosophy and leniency by refs may effect this, but to what extent? I saw this post and it started making me question just how good this defense is. Obviously, it's the best in the league this year, but how much in the last 5 years? Decade? Or longer?

http://inagist.com/all/418832500480155648/

Quote:
Seahawks' NFL best opponent passer rating (63.4) is 10.8 points lower than No. 2 CIN. That's the same gap that separates No. 2 & No. 19.

Chime in and let me know your opinions or point me in the right direction if you could, please Smile
Finchy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know enough about the game to make a definitive statement, but I think it is one of the best against the pass in recent memory. An advanced statistic guy said they rank inside the top 3 pass defenses since the merger, maybe even first, once he has run the numbers.

We also have the 7th best Defensive DVOA rating since it has been used as a measurement, with was 1989.

So I don't see why it can't be argued that can be seen as one of the better defenses in NFL history.

I read a book a week, so...
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finchy wrote:
I don't know enough about the game to make a definitive statement, but I think it is one of the best against the pass in recent memory. An advanced statistic guy said they rank inside the top 3 pass defenses since the merger, maybe even first, once he has run the numbers.

We also have the 7th best Defensive DVOA rating since it has been used as a measurement, with was 1989.

So I don't see why it can't be argued that can be seen as one of the better defenses in NFL history.

Appreciate you posting. Just wondering as I have tried searching, but didn't come up with much. I had seen the DVOA ratings and such, but yeah. I think our run defense is actually pretty under-rated. They do have a tendency to be either amazing or poor though. The consistency needs some fixing, but the pass defense is consistently amazing.
NFL_Announcer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of all time defenses don't get much recognition until they win the SuperBowl.

Everyone knew the 85 Bears, 70s Steelers, 01 Ravens, 03 Bucs, etc. had great defenses during the season, but they didn't seem to get their major notoriety until they won the big one.

Also Seattle's D is VERY young. A lot of the players aren't massively known yet. Earl Thomas gets a lot of recognition around the league as being the best FS and same with Sherman, but outside of those two the cast doesn't have a HUGE name player at a HUGE defensive position like ILB or DE (Lewis, Sapp, Singletary, etc).

But IF Seattle wins the 2 playoff games and SuperBowl and the D is largely responsible for it, you'll see articles and discussion pop up around 'best defense' with Seattle's name in it.
RawkHawkJayHawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NFL_Announcer"]Seems like a lot of all time defenses don't get much recognition until they win the SuperBowl.

Everyone knew the 85 Bears, 70s Steelers, 01 Ravens, 03 Bucs, etc. had great defenses during the season, but they didn't seem to get their major notoriety until they won the big one.

Also Seattle's D is VERY young. A lot of the players aren't massively known yet. Earl Thomas gets a lot of recognition around the league as being the best FS and same with Sherman, but outside of those two the cast doesn't have a HUGE name player at a HUGE defensive position like ILB or DE (Lewis, Sapp, Singletary, etc).

But IF Seattle wins the 2 playoff games and SuperBowl and the D is largely responsible for it, you'll see articles and discussion pop up around 'best defense' with Seattle's name in it.[/quote]

Yes, sir. You would be spot on.
TheoryofSeahawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually pondered this question myself. I think of this Defense as really good, but not great, but that is just off the top of my head, no stats involved. The eyeball test I guess.

I wonder what a comparison of numbers would bring, nothing fancy like advanced metrics, just raw numbers like pass and run yards per game.

The advanced metrics would probably help with determining how much of an effect the leagues rules are having on the defenses now and stuff like that. We all know the league office is doing its best to legislate defense (especially pass defense) out of the game. I've wondered how this D would rate if they could play in an era where defense was on par with offense.

I guess I'm just too lazy to look up stats myself and I'm certainly not smart enough to figure out any advanced metrics on my own, so hopefully if the 'Hawks make it to the SB, someone like ESPN will have a science of sports special on the subject. Very Happy

Sheldon Cooper
silus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run defense is not good enough to rank among the elite of the past decade. Which totally baffled me this offseason when everyone was talking about pass rush. Run defense is why the Seahawks got shredded in the first half against the Redskins and Falcons. If the Seahawks stop the run this playoffs its a free run to the Superbowl.
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
Run defense is not good enough to rank among the elite of the past decade. Which totally baffled me this offseason when everyone was talking about pass rush. Run defense is why the Seahawks got shredded in the first half against the Redskins and Falcons. If the Seahawks stop the run this playoffs its a free run to the Superbowl.

Aside from a couple slip ups during the season (Bucs & Rams I believe), the run defense has been pretty good. Easy to look back and say that those were just bad days and that they're not the norm, but yeah. I think the run defense is actually a bit under-rated and considering just how good our pass defense is, personally, I'd expect a lot worse with teams not wanting to put the ball up in the air against our coverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: