Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft 3.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Mock Draft 3.0 Reply with quote

Below is my updated Ravens mock draft. My operating assumption is that the line will be addressed in free agency.

1) Stephon Tuitt - DE / DT Notre Dame
2) Austin Sefarian-Jenkins - TE Washington
3) Donte Moncrief - WR Ole Miss
4) Karlos Williams - RB / SS Florida State
4) Shayne Skov - MLB Stanford
5) Stanley Jean-Baptiste - CB Nebraska
6) Devon Kennard - OLB USC
7) Chris Davis - CB Auburn
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key question is how is the line addressed in free agency?
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Key question is how is the line addressed in free agency?

Same question.

We don't really have all that much money, so the only possible scenario I could speculate to fix the line completely through FA would be to a) resign Monroe to a cheap deal ($6.5m) and then proceed to use the rest of the money to pick up a solid veteran center option like Velasco and then kick KO out to RT, while having Gradkowski man the LG spot.

That or sign a studly center like Mack to a reasonable deal and then pick up a stop gap OT (not sure who) and again kick KO out and Gino over. Though, in either case, I'm not sure how confident I would be in saying we would have "fixed" the OL.

We simply don't have enough money to fix the OL exclusively through FA moves, considering we have three holes to address.

In terms of the draft, I could certainly get down with Stephon Tuitt. Tbqh... I just haven't been all that enthralled with the DL talent in this draft class to this point. Hageman reminds me of Devon Still, I need to watch more of him, but I got the impression that he can dominate plays every once in awhile, but plays high and tends to simply physically overwhelm his competition when he does. He doesn't play with great arm extension IIRC (been awhile since I looked at him). So we're talking about a player who is a redshirt senior and entering the league at a slightly advanced age... yet is still going to be quite raw from a technique standpoint. That's not what I like to see. Means he will probably spend a year or two before he's ready to really play and by then he's now 26?

A guy like Tuitt seems like the much better investment. He looks more explosive on tape IMO. And that is the much more important trait for being a pass rusher at the next level. He's younger and just seems like the bigger playmaker. His technique also appears to be more advanced, though obviously it isn't great.

Tuitt is the kind of pick that could end up being BPA. As it stands, I would hope we traded down if he were to be our selection, but by draft day he just my end up being a top half of the draft talent. And if we're going to pass up offensive talent in the first two rounds... it'd better be for a serious defensive playmaker.

2. Austin Sefarian Jenkins.
I'm probably not the best person to evaluate this pick. Simply because the tape of ASJ that I watch, he just hasn't impressed me. This season nor the year before. He's big, but he rarely seems to break tackles on tape. And for a guy his size you'd expect him to utterly destroy his collegiate competition. He just doesn't seem to have that physical presence to him. Furthermore, I find his blocking to be overrated. He does a good job of getting in the way of blocks, but again, for his size he just tends to get in the way and not get a good push. Arthur Lynch is a superior blocker at about 20 lbs less (listed anyway).

So I don't like this pick. I think CJ would be a better value just a round later. Possesses similar size, better blocking ability, better tackle breaking ability, solid hands, etc... though not as good an athlete. I just don't view ASJ as much more than a Martellus Bennett.

3. Donte Moncrief-
I need to look at more of Moncrief, but what I watched I was a big fan of. Didn't see how he could be so underrated. I have read that he struggles with consistency however and that's one of the biggest traits I think we need to add to our receiving core. A guy who can be a volume receptor. I'm not sure that Moncrief brings that capability.

4. Karlos Williams-
I think RB can be a need for this team, but I don't agree with selecting a RB in the 4th round when the team still has glaring holes along the OL and there should still be plenty of talent left to aid the unit. I like what Williams shows with his explosiveness and size and vision, but... it won't matter if, like Rice and Pierce, he's being leveled in the backfield on a consistent basis. Also... we still have Rice and Pierce. So why take a RB that high? Maybe think about it a round later, but unless you're also projecting us to cut Rice (which opens up very little money) then I don't especially get the reasoning. Even though I acknowledge Williams talent.

4. Shayne Skov
I like Skov, he'd make for a very nice addition to our defense if he lasts until the 4th. On one hand, some sites have him down as a 2nd round guy... on the other hand, LBers rarely go that high unless they test well in the speed categories. So I can certainly see Skov falling to the 4th assuming he tells ho-hum.

5. Stanley Jean-Baptiste
I've heard good things about him, but I'm not going to lie, I'm not familiar with him.

6. Devon Kennard
^^ See above.

7. Chris Davis
^^ See above.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your pick of Tuitt in round 1 but I would go with the following selections:

Round 1- Stephon Tuitt DE
Round 2- Morgan Moses T- Virginia. (He would play RT, Monroe is resigned)
Round 3- C.J. Fiedorowicz TE- Iowa
Round 4 (Comp Pick)- Tre Boston FS North Carolina
Round 4 (Comp Pick)- DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon
Round 5 (Comp Pick)- Tyler Larson C Utah State
Round 6 T.J. Jones WR- Notre Dame

The draft class is very deep at tackle. I believe the Ravens will go DE, FS or WR in first round and get a good offensive line prospect in round 2, like when they drafted K.O. two years ago.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravens-01 wrote:
I love your pick of Tuitt in round 1 but I would go with the following selections:

Round 1- Stephon Tuitt DE
Round 2- Morgan Moses T- Virginia. (He would play RT, Monroe is resigned)
Round 3- C.J. Fiedorowicz TE- Iowa
Round 4 (Comp Pick)- Tre Boston FS North Carolina
Round 4 (Comp Pick)- DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon
Round 5 (Comp Pick)- Tyler Larson C Utah State
Round 6 T.J. Jones WR- Notre Dame

The draft class is very deep at tackle. I believe the Ravens will go DE, FS or WR in first round and get a good offensive line prospect in round 2, like when they drafted K.O. two years ago.

Moses would be a terrible scheme fit. He's a power blocking scheme guy, who would not do well as a ZBS fit. So unless you're also projecting a scheme change, that's not a good fit. Let alone good value. Moses is a late 3rd round type guy that you'd be selecting mid-2nd. There would be much better value available at that point. Moses could be had a round later.

Also Tyler Larsen is a top 3 center in this draft class, I can't see him falling to the late 5th round outside of injury. I don't think he makes it out of the 3rd round, worst case scenario mid 4th might be his draft floor IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think ASJ makes it into the second round, even with doubts about certain parts of his game. I think there will be several teams wanting to get their hands on a 'stud' TE, and he'll go somewhere late in the first, perhaps to the Packers or Chiefs.

I'm also not a fan of drafting a RB at all. They got one two years ago, and need him to start producing. Rice believes he can come back 'stronger than ever' next year, Harbs says they know that the O-line caused problems with every part of the offense. I'd trust in the guys they've got. Get that line right, and Rice and Pierce should come good, even if Rice's load has to be lightened.

Harbs was asked about getting a big RB, someone like Blount, and said it was something they'd look at. But I think they need to go the other way. Look at Giovanni Bernard and how he plays. That's the kind of guy they should be trying to get: small, lightning quick, elusive. I haven't seen too many guys like that in the college football I've watched this year. Certainly, most of the higher ranked RBs in the draft seem to be 5"9' or more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the line, say Richie Incognito, and Brian De le Puente, kick KO outside.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: