Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DB424's New Year 2014 Mock Offseason...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will the Ravens do with Terrell Suggs this off-season?
Extend his contract, he's too valuable to the team...
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Cut him, he's fallen off and we can't afford him...
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Do nothing, allow his contract to run out after 2014...
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
db not to put you out there like that, but your boy has looked down right horrible tonight! Yikes.

He's tanking to get to the Ravens. Cool Seriously though, I hope he doesn't choose to stay because of that miserable final performance. He clearly needs to work on blocking speed rushers, but I think he'll be plug and play at RT.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
db not to put you out there like that, but your boy has looked down right horrible tonight! Yikes.

He's tanking to get to the Ravens. Cool Seriously though, I hope he doesn't choose to stay because of that miserable final performance. He clearly needs to work on blocking speed rushers, but I think he'll be plug and play at RT.

I'm not concerned. College bowl games are some of the dumbest phenomenon. You have a player and then you ask him to basically not play meaningful college football for a month- month and a half or so... and then ask him to play. Kouandjio not playing well shows me nothing more than a guy who isn't in midseason form... or perhaps it might speak to his conditioning.

But CK71's two worst games of the season, this one and the VT one (which I didn't even find to be bad), came after long periods of non-football play. The college kickoff game and this bowl game.

I'm sorry but I'll take my chances with the athletic package that CK71 brings to the table along with his blocking mentality against the run. Cyrus reminds me of a quicker Cordy Glenn. Most thought he wouldn't be able to play OT at the NFL level and I disagreed. I think CK71 absolutely has elite potential at LT. Him giving up a few sacks in a bowl game isn't going to change my mind about what I believe he could become.

If anything, this performance simply pushes him down the board so that we shouldn't need to trade up to get him... and I'm happy with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be surprised if Cleveland lets Mack get away. They have a lot of cap space and center is one of the cheaper franchise tags.

Not a fan of Kouandijo. He can fire off the ball and maul you in the run game. But speed rushers have given him fits.

Zimmerman is a pick Id really like.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Id be surprised if Cleveland lets Mack get away. They have a lot of cap space and center is one of the cheaper franchise tags.
Not a fan of Kouandijo. He can fire off the ball and maul you in the run game. But speed rushers have given him fits.

Center doesn't have a franchise tag specifically. A center is lumped together with all the other OL. Meaning to franchise Mack would require paying him top 5 OL money, not top 5 center money... which should be in excess of $10m+..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I could see it. I don't know if its likely because he's going to be highly sought after and will probably be the highest paid center in the game. But Ozzie has gotten value before with elite players at non marquee positions.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Agreed on the bolded, Striker made him look downright silly at times last night. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given the time off between games. However, the one thing that really struck me were the mental errors last night. Not only did he get beat badly by Striker physically, it seemed as though he let Striker get into his head and completely throw him off his game at times. I can accept some poor conditioning, but the one thing I'm really not a fan of is a guy who is not mentally strong enough to restrain himself during the course of a pivotal game. That's a big knock, imo.

And as you said yourself db, he looks the part of a dominant run blocker, but seems only average in pass protection. Despite how porous our running game was this past year, if we are going to be paying Joe the type of money we are, I feel we almost need a guy who is a dominant pass protector.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of not re-signing Monroe personally... like, at all.

We just spent a 4th/5th on him. Now we want to let him walk, give a big contract to Mack and then spend a 1st on a guy to hopefully replicate (and potentially better) Monroe's production?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

We just spent a 4th/5th on him. Now we want to let him walk, give a big contract to Mack and then spend a 1st on a guy to hopefully replicate (and potentially better) Monroe's production?

I agree. I don't think he did a bad job at all, coming in midway through the season, onto an O-line that seemed to be having personnel and scheme problems.

Keeping Monroe, getting KO healthy again, and having Yanda seems like a pretty good start to rebuilding that line. Get a RT and C, either in the draft or in FA, and they should be set for a good long while.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Ravens-01 wrote:
The Ravens will not get Alex Mack. The Browns will franchise their pro bowl center. They have $40 million in cap space to franchise him. The Ravens will have Ryan Jenson and Gradkowski compete for the center position. With K.O. at left guard, the Ravens will resign Eugene Monroe, and Yanda set at right guard, the Ravens only need to fix Right Tackle which they will do in the draft.

Free agency will be probably signing: Pitta, Monroe, Daryl Smith, veteran corner if Corey Graham leaves, cheap vet WR if Jones leaves. Maybe a cheap blocking TE.

Restructure Suggs, Webb and Rice. Other than that not much the Ravens can do based on salary cap.

The franchise tag for center is the same amount as the franchise tag as the top 5 OL in the NFL. There is no distinction for center.

Meaning to franchise Mack, Cleveland would have to tag the non-exclusive tag, which should end up being $10.73m (top 5 OL from previous year) or the exclusive tag which will end up likely being more than that amount...

More likely the Browns might apply the transition tag, which is the right of first refusal. But that stipulates they wouldn't be able to use it for the duration of that players contract, meaning they would have to wait until Mack's deal with the Ravens ends... so even then, one would have to doubt that usage.

More likely the Browns would use their franchise tag on securing TJ Ward. He could be retained for a much more reasonable amount. Likely tag him for around $6.5m or so.

If we can't sign Mack it will more likely be because the Browns overspend to keep him or because Mack decides to play for a non-division rival team that also happens to be willing to overpay him/be a winning organization. I highly doubt the Browns would be willing to franchise Mack for $10m+... then again, they did just blow up their coaching staff after one year so anything's possible there.

Tag or no tag, how do you see the Ravens out bidding the Browns?

The Ravens should have enough space for one big contract. The Browns obviously have much more to spend obviously, but assuming Mack gets offered anything at $7.2m or under, the Ravens can compete with.

Furthermore, I have to wonder how much Mack would actually want to return to Cleveland. Mack commented that he would be very comfortable with remaining in Cleveland because of the coaches, players, and the feeling that they were building in the right direction... those comments were made just days prior to the Browns decision to dump the coaching staff after one season.

His comments already seemed lukewarm about staying in Cleveland, but throw in the removal of a coaching staff he clearly approved of... and you have to assume he feels shafted. Many ask why would any coach want to coach for the Browns, well same question... if a FA has a choice to go to Cleveland vs. elsewhere for similar cash/opportunity...why would he go to Cleveland considering the atmosphere? How could he trust that front office to deliver him an opportunity to win?

I could be very wrong regarding Mack and his feelings. He might love Cleveland, but I could also be right. And given that scenario... I would have to think that Alex Mack, a top 3 (or so) center in the NFL would provide us more bang for our buck than a LT who is probably not even top 10. Given that the center would cost us less to sign, that would be the direction I would go in with our OL. Though I acknowledge that Monroe is the more likely candidate to be resigned.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

Question. What if Monroe wants $8.5m? Knowing that we just spent a 4th/5th on him... does that make you willing to pay whatever he demands? I would hope your answer is yes. LT is a big time need for enough teams around the league and Monroe appears to be the best OT on the market.

Now was Monroe a quality LT? Yes, but was he an elite OT? No. And whether the pick is CK71, Greg Robinson, or Taylor Lewan... I think the Ravens should explore their options rather than overpay Monroe.

Lastly, what's the big deal about spending a 4th/5th on Monroe? We spent that and would likely receive a 4th round, if not 3rd round, compensatory pick in return for losing him as a free agent. So... I only see win-win, no matter the direction we take. I don't think that trade should factor into our decision making beyond what we were allowed the chance to glean from his play after the deal.

And we're spending a 1st round pick in a VERY strong OT class full of talented franchise options. Why pay Monroe $1.5m more than Mack, if we have more top notch LT options at our disposal vs. center options. Really, this draft isn't all that strong at center. Travis Swanson is the best this class has to offer and he's an inferior prospect to Travis Frederick. He's not an elite center prospect.

You don't agree with passing over Monroe and I don't agree with overspending on him. Nor do I agree that his play was somehow so special that the top OTs in this class wouldn't better it... and beyond. Monroe was a good pass protector, but he was not elite or even great. His run blocking also was just average- at best.

To think that giving him a full offseason will make him look much better is a naive sentiment considering his play for Jacksonville was the same throughout his career. I wouldn't be mad with resigning Monroe, but I'm also not going to pretend like his play was anything better than above average

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Question. What if Monroe wants $8.5m? Knowing that we just spent a 4th/5th on him... does that make you willing to pay whatever he demands? I would hope your answer is yes. LT is a big time need for enough teams around the league and Monroe appears to be the best OT on the market.

Now was Monroe a quality LT? Yes, but was he an elite OT? No. And whether the pick is CK71, Greg Robinson, or Taylor Lewan... I think the Ravens should explore their options rather than overpay Monroe.

Lastly, what's the big deal about spending a 4th/5th on Monroe? We spent that and would likely receive a 4th round, if not 3rd round, compensatory pick in return for losing him as a free agent. So... I only see win-win, no matter the direction we take. I don't think that trade should factor into our decision making beyond what we were allowed the chance to glean from his play after the deal.

And we're spending a 1st round pick in a VERY strong OT class full of talented franchise options. Why pay Monroe $1.5m more than Mack, if we have more top notch LT options at our disposal vs. center options. Really, this draft isn't all that strong at center. Travis Swanson is the best this class has to offer and he's an inferior prospect to Travis Frederick. He's not an elite center prospect.

You don't agree with passing over Monroe and I don't agree with overspending on him. Nor do I agree that his play was somehow so special that the top OTs in this class wouldn't better it... and beyond. Monroe was a good pass protector, but he was not elite or even great. His run blocking also was just average- at best.

To think that giving him a full offseason will make him look much better is a naive sentiment considering his play for Jacksonville was the same throughout his career. I wouldn't be mad with resigning Monroe, but I'm also not going to pretend like his play was anything better than above average

I'd be comfortable giving him $8.5m. I think that's about what he's worth.

Yes, he's the best on the market -- but my belief is that we are his first option and as long as we pay him fairly, he'll stay with us. Winning culture, wife is from the area, etc all factor in.

Yes, we might get a similar round pick back in terms of compensatory pick for him, but I'd rather use his talents now as he's still a generally young guy rather than let him walk, take a chance on another LT (specifically the one chosen in your mock who I'm not a fan of) and waiting to reap that pick back in another year. I think Monroe is very solid, is worth $8.5m and I'd rather take my chances with a guy like Swanson at center and have a combo of Monroe/Swanson with a 1st round pick still to spend rather than Kouandijo (spelling?)/Mack/2nd round pick to spend.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing is if we let Monroe walk, in my mind it almost forces us to take a LT in the first round. It is never good when you go into the draft to have a position that you almost have to use your first round pick on. You often don't get the value you could get otherwise and teams know what we need, allowing them to trade up ahead of us if they want the LT. If we sign Monroe, then there is certainly a chance we could take a tackle in the first round and have him play RT temporarily, but we could also take a top WR prospect, or even another position. It gives us more flexibility, which I'm sure Ozzie would love. If we let Monroe and Oher walk and don't spend a first round pick on a tackle, we're going to have some problems next year.

GO RAVENS!!
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Matthews looks pretty great today.

Would be a steal if he slips to pick 47/48.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Jordan Matthews looks pretty great today.

Would be a steal if he slips to pick 47/48.

Closing in on his first 200 yard performance in his collegiate career... also another 30 yards or so and he'll be over 1500 receiving yards on the season. Me likey.

And this 100 yd game makes that nine 100 yd games on the season. 9/13. This guy simply produces.

That said, watch other players run better 40 times and are pushed above him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: