Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DB424's New Year 2014 Mock Offseason...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will the Ravens do with Terrell Suggs this off-season?
Extend his contract, he's too valuable to the team...
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Cut him, he's fallen off and we can't afford him...
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Do nothing, allow his contract to run out after 2014...
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: DB424's New Year 2014 Mock Offseason... Reply with quote

Numbers from Russell Street Report- 2014 Ravens Preview

Players Under Contract
37 players- $111.872M

PSFA:
9 players- $3.93m

ERFA:
6 players- $3.045m

RFA:
Tandon Doss, WR/PR, BAL
Low Tender- $1.389M
Doss should see the low tender. He's not a 'must keep' option, but he does offer a talented punt returning option that can replace what Jacoby Jones provided to that particular unit. Doss proved to be one of the most capable punt returners in the league when he was given the opportunity and that along with his knowledge of the offense should make him worth enough to our squad to bring back on a tender.

Player Cuts
Jameel McClain, ILB, BAL-
$3.2m savings, $1.2m dead money

Vonta Leach, FB, BAL
$1.75m savings, 580k DM

Player Extensions
Terrell Suggs, OLB, BAL-
5 yrs, $36.4m ($7.28m per)
$7.5m salary converted into SB + $8m SB from extension = $15.5m SB ($3.1m proration). $3.1m (new ProR) + 4.6m (old ProR) + $955k (veteran minimum salary)= $8.655m.
Cap savings = $3.745m

Torrey Smith, WR, BAL-
6 yrs, $43.5m (7.25 per), $5m SB
Smith's contract reduces the cap savings by $1m but locks him up long term.

UFA:
Total Players: 50
Previous Cap hit = $120.236m
Offseason Savings = $7.695m
Pre FA Cap hit = $112.541m

Alex Mack, C, CLE-
5 yrs, $34.5m ($6.9m per) = $10m SB, $5.5m cap hit
I'm sure that Eugene Monroe will be the main FA target before FA begins. But I've mentioned this already for the past few weeks... at what point is he not worth it? Our OL was the worst we've fielded in franchise history not simply because of scheme, but also because of talent. PFF might have sung Monroe's praises, but the reality is that he was nothing more than above average. He was not a dominant LT option. Yet, it's quite likely that he could command top tier OT money ($8m+).

Which brings us back to Mack. We have just as great a need at center and if we're going to pay top notch money to any position, it should be with a player who deserves it and to the most underpaid position on the OL... center. With Mack and Yanda next to each other with KO along the other side we could be possessed of one of the most filthy interior OLs in the NFL for the near future. Last season, Ozzie proved to be committed to upgrading the talent of the defensive trenches, with the depressed play of our OL, one can only assume this offseason will be no different in that respect. Alex Mack is the right player, at the right price.

Why wouldn't Mack join the Ravens? Deep seeded divisional rivalry. So it could make sense for him to pass up the opportunity. But with the Cleveland front office getting rid of Chudzinski, the "loyalty" may no longer be in play. Mack could feel shafted and the Ravens might be able to capitalize on that.

Dennis Pitta, TE, BAL-
4 yrs, $21m ($5.25m) = 5m SB, 4.75m cap hit
It's certainly not a given that Pitta will return. One has to consider that while Pitta does indeed have a great rapport with Flacco, the reality is also that he's 28 years old and his first FA contract could be his last FA contract. He has to strike while the iron is hot... and thus will have to ask for as much as he can get while he can get it. Fortunately for the Ravens his injury and the repercussions of it might scare away some teams from offering big time deals and instead opt for other targets.

Albert McClellan, SPT/LB, BAL-
Veteran Minimum- $645K
Technically McClellan is a RFA, but he's not going to be worth paying the low tender. So we'll likely opt to sign him to the veteran minimum instead to save that extra 700k or so.

Jeromy Miles, SPT/S, BAL-
Veteran Minimum- $730K
Miles has proven to be an impact special teammer. And with a position opening up at starting safety, Miles could see an opportunity to compete for a starting job. I could see him returning for the veteran minimum.

Ed Reed, S, NYJ-
One day contract
Ed Reed officially retires a Raven. No story book ending, however, he did end up getting paid in the end... so maybe that was storybook?

Total Players: 54
Adjusted Team Cap = $127.298M
Pre FA Cap hit = $112.541m
Post FA Cap Hit- $122.906m
Adjust Team Space = $4.392m

2014 NFL Mock Draft

Pick #16: Cyrus Kouandjio, LT, Alabama

CK71 possesses the elite OT package. We'll have to wait until the combine to see just how long his arms are, but the eye test tells me they'll be at least 36"... which would put him in elite company. Combine that with his foot quickness and quality size... even more elite company. The only OTs in the NFL possessed of similar traits are Ryan Clady, Russell Okung, and D'Brickishaw Ferguson. Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden were also possessed of these elite qualities. If there is company you want to be in, it's with those aforementioned names. All have displayed the ability, at one point or another, to be elite pass protectors when healthy.

The tape also doesn't lie. CK71 has proven to be one of the top 3-4 OTs in this draft class, yet is the youngest of the top OT prospects at 20 years old. While this mock isn't projecting a trade, I could easily see a scenario where we use our 3rd round pick to trade up and secure Kouandjio at pick 11 or 12 because he's my top OT prospect and with Giants, Rams, and Steelers all picking in front of us, a run on OTs could be a possibility. We might simply look to bypass the waiting game and strike... but then again, Ozzie has proven to be a patient man.

Pick #49: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

Possesses the record for both receptions and receiving yards in the SEC. Matthews secured these records playing in the SEC against strong competition and with an average to below average collegiate QB. I give browny points for a receiver who can dominate with poor QB play. This shows me a WR has the ability to elevate his QBs play and that is one of the top qualities of any top 20 WR in the NFL. Matthews would be a great fit within our offense. Runs superb routes, has the speed to get vertical, can go up and get the ball with a 38"+ vertical (eye test), is of above average physicality, and has the agility to separate in short areas to be a reception magnet.

With Smith drawing the double teams, Matthews will have free reign to obliterate defensive backs. He's the most pro-ready WR option at this point and should best be able to jump into our offensive scheme right away and make an impact day one.

#80: Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

Easley falls because he tore his ACL. He has 1st round talent, but due to tore ACLs two times in his collegiate career, teams will hesitate to take him. Ozzie took a similar gamble when Arthur Jones fell to the 5th round of the draft due to "bad knees" and a few years in, that move really looked genius as Jones proved to be a major disrupting factor in opposing backfields. Easley lives in backfields and was arguably a better player, IMO, then Shariff Floyd.

The Ravens have DL talent across the board, plenty of depth. However, the athleticism is no longer a strength, nor is the pass rush. Easley injects both needed qualities to the defense and should start his career off as a 3rd down interior gap threat.

4th round (comp): James Hurst, OT, North Carlina

Hurst falls for similar reasons as Easley. Hurst started every game since his freshman season with UNC... but in his final game, he breaks his leg. Tough. Hurst is possessed of the needed athleticism and technical ability to thrive on the right side of the OL. He has proven he can handle an elite ET like Jadaveon Clowney and hold his own. That's what you'd like to see in an OT prospect. To attain such a talent in the 4th round, is pure magic... it's wizardry, it's Oz'.

4th round (comp): Ty Zimmerman, FS, Kansas St

Zimmerman has played along side Arthur Brown and together both played on one of the best defenses college football had to offer last season. Zimmerman, like Brown, is an instinctive player and does a nice job of playing the backend as a safety. He's not going to have the ability to play cover 1, but he has the range and smarts to excel in deep cover two and to make plays on balls in the air. He also is a physical tackling presence willing to attack the ball carrier. He's a talented overall safety prospect with some size to him. He would fit in very well opposite a strong safety Matt Elam.

5th Rd (comp): Max Bullough, ILB, MSU

From one leader of a great collegiate defense, to the leader of the greatest collegiate defense this season. Bullough is suspended for the MSU bowl game and one has to wonder how that will effect his draft slot, but he's proven to be a two year captain and a very instinctive inside presence. Arthur Brown is indeed the physical specimen you want inside with the speed and instincts, but Bullough would be a great pairing because of his also incredible instincts to diagnose plays, as well as his ability to take on and shed blocks. He would make for a great thumping ILB talent. Part of the problem with our current stable of ILB thumpers has been two fold, we pair them together for two slow LBers and that they are simply very average at what they do. Bullough won't light the combine on fire, with only solid physical abilities, but his smarts and intangibles is what will make him excel as a great thumper backer.

6th Rd: Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State

I'm sure the Ravens would have liked to have added a TE option higher in the draft. But BPA trumps need. That said, Gillmore is no slouch. In fact, he is quite studly. Has the size, athleticism, and blocking that you look for in a quality tight end option. The Ravens have had a history recently of targeting some small school players to acquire some value talent and Gillmore fits the bill. So while his last name might remind one of a late night teen drama series, he has the first name of a war hero. Obviously we'd be getting a football player who understands how to be in touch with both his feminine and masculine sides. He's the triple threat. Lastly... and this just might be me, but he kind of favors Justin Tucker. Porque no los dos?

7th Rd (comp): Dexter McDougle, CB, UMD

McDougle just might test as one of the most athletic corners in this draft class. He apparently ran a 4.42 coming out of high school and UMD is known for producing some of the best speed specimens the draft has to offer. Just before his injury McDougle was also stringing together some very quality play and looking like he might be turning the corner into becoming a day 2 pick. The cookie crumpled and he was left wanting. Instead, he could potentially fall to the later parts of the draft depending on just how lethal his combine is. I'm sure the Ravens will be well aware of his potential and where he fits on their bigboard. McDougle will be brought into compete with the likes of Asa Jackson and Chykie Brown. Both have the experience over him and the advantage, but he could easily find himself competing for a potential starting spot on our defense if he plays his cards right.

Last edited by diamondbull424 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
ihoxhaj23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I would literally die happy if that happened. To get Cyrus and Hurst in the same draft would be amazing and then to add mack to KO and Yanda. I would change that third round pick to C.J. Fiederowicz though. I understand the thinking behind Easley but we need a capable backup behind pitta and C.J. would be great in both blocking and red zone. The rest of the draft was great. I think going into the season with a great o-line, torrey + marlon + matthews + mellette + pitta + C.J. + rice + pierce I think will be good enough to get us back to the playoffs. Not sure about suggs but I guess extending a leader is needed. Also not sure what we do about Daryl Smith. Also we might want to extend Jimmy in a hurry to make sure we lock him up.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much perfect in end results. If only I believed this could happen. Tough to say how far Hurst falls, but that seems pretty far. If we do take him, we may have to go back to the KO at RT, Reid at LG arrangement to start the year, which I wouldn't completely dismiss.

Torrey won't sign for less than Antonio Brown's 8.5M/year.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Pretty much perfect in end results. If only I believed this could happen. Tough to say how far Hurst falls, but that seems pretty far. If we do take him, we may have to go back to the KO at RT, Reid at LG arrangement to start the year, which I wouldn't completely dismiss.

Torrey won't sign for less than Antonio Brown's 8.5M/year.

I messed up on Suggs extension by only including the extension and not the actual deal, like with Torrey. I'm going to edit that, but in reality, Torrey would be signing an extension of 5 yrs/$43.5m ($8.7m), I purposely made it a half a million more than Brown's deal... which was also an extension deal. Technically Brown's "overall" deal was 6 yrs, $43.04m ($7.173333 per) while Torrey's is an average of $7.25m... the difference is that half a million and Torrey's rookie salary being more in its final year.

In terms of Hurst, he broke his leg and will be out of commission for at least 6 months. Meaning he won't have any kind of ability to work out for teams prior to the draft. Prior to this incident, Hurst's "stock" was seen to be in the late 2nd to mid 3rd round range. Consider that this OL class is one of the deepest in years and teams will have an opportunity to see other OTs work out and impress in senior bowls and at the combine. Hurst falls about a round and a half due to his injury, I honestly could see the fall being even more severe. Kapros Lewis-Moore similarly injured himself last season with a 6-10 mos recovery time on a torn ACL... and he fell 3-4 rounds in the draft after being considered a late 2nd/early 3rd round option. KLM's injury recovery time might have been a little more steep obviously and it happened a couple weeks later in the process to boot, but still, his fall was swift... and he was in a similar boat with plenty of tape to fall back on. An injury this late in the process does have a pretty sizable impact on where a player goes.. and I felt a round and a half was probably on the 'safe' side of that impact. He could easily fall another round or so depending on how team's think a broken leg could impact his rookie season and how well his leg is recovering... and whether they think there will be any possible adverse effects from this such as not ever getting quite back to being the same player.

In terms of the early season lineup, was thinking this:
LT- CK71
LG- Gino/Jensen
C- Mack
RG- Yanda
RT- KO

I don't think we give Reid much of a chance moving forward. As bad as our OL was this season, if he couldn't get into the action, I doubt he ever will. Especially considering Castillo being IMO likely to return, we probably look to have a more athletic interior.

It's also quite possible that the team passes on going after a RT like Hurst entirely and instead decide to insert an OG or go in a completely different direction, perhaps ILB.

They might feel content with KO/Wagner at RT and Gio/Jensen at LG. I could see each scenario as possible. But, simply put, I wouldn't be content considering how bad this line has been this season. I would do everything in my power to improve it.

Lastly, depending on his recovery, we could also consider keeping KO inside at LG... and instead just rolling with Wagner as our RT (get him more reps) along with a PS or UDFA as the temporary RT backup until training camp starts, in which Hurst "should" be ready to go and compete for the starting spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihoxhaj23 wrote:
Wow. I would literally die happy if that happened. To get Cyrus and Hurst in the same draft would be amazing and then to add mack to KO and Yanda. I would change that third round pick to C.J. Fiederowicz though. I understand the thinking behind Easley but we need a capable backup behind pitta and C.J. would be great in both blocking and red zone. The rest of the draft was great. I think going into the season with a great o-line, torrey + marlon + matthews + mellette + pitta + C.J. + rice + pierce I think will be good enough to get us back to the playoffs. Not sure about suggs but I guess extending a leader is needed. Also not sure what we do about Daryl Smith. Also we might want to extend Jimmy in a hurry to make sure we lock him up.

Believe me, I definitely TRIED to get CJ into this mock draft. He's a personal favorite. I also tried to get Arthur Lynch in when it was clear CJ wouldn't be in range.

CJ was my 'other' third round look. But in the end, this TE class offers some talented substitutes. Crockett Gilmore isn't someone to be slept on. The Ravens have also had Matt Furstenburg developing on their practice squad this past year. And ultimately, the #2 TE role will be just that. We've sort of moved onto more and more 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB looks... and I don't think that will change much even with the addition of CJF. However a rotational DL is someone who can see minimum snaps, yet still feast in opportunity.

There's also Ngata's contract to consider. While we have Canty, KLM, Williams, and Tyson... if Ngata under-exceeds expectations for one more season, he could end up as a cap casualty following the 2014 season. Thus it would be wise to stock up on as much premier DL talent as possible to prepare for that possibility. Picking up Easley would be a pre-emptive strike for the future as well as increase the talent of our depth in the short term. He has the potential to be a much better player than CJF in the short term and long term.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ravens will not get Alex Mack. The Browns will franchise their pro bowl center. They have $40 million in cap space to franchise him. The Ravens will have Ryan Jenson and Gradkowski compete for the center position. With K.O. at left guard, the Ravens will resign Eugene Monroe, and Yanda set at right guard, the Ravens only need to fix Right Tackle which they will do in the draft.

Free agency will be probably signing: Pitta, Monroe, Daryl Smith, veteran corner if Corey Graham leaves, cheap vet WR if Jones leaves. Maybe a cheap blocking TE.

Restructure Suggs, Webb and Rice. Other than that not much the Ravens can do based on salary cap.
dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sam Koch will get cut as well. I read on Spotrac that Koch's cap value for 2014 is $2.8m. $1.2m in dead money. I have always liked Koch but it's a business and that's just too much too pay a punter. Rookie punters make around $500k. Guys like Donnie Jones and Brian Moorman (Free Agents) make around $900k. In either of those scenarios, we save money.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravens-01 wrote:
The Ravens will not get Alex Mack. The Browns will franchise their pro bowl center. They have $40 million in cap space to franchise him. The Ravens will have Ryan Jenson and Gradkowski compete for the center position. With K.O. at left guard, the Ravens will resign Eugene Monroe, and Yanda set at right guard, the Ravens only need to fix Right Tackle which they will do in the draft.

Except that Gradkowksi has honestly not shown much in the way of improvements over the season, and Jensen's reputation seems to be built entirely on the fact that no one knows anything about him. He's never set foot on the field, never even been active for a game, that I know of, yet he's been touted as a possible saviour at Center?

Sure, he could be great. But many hoped that Gradkowski would work out, and he doesn't seem to have.

Regarding the mock off-season, getting Mack would be a great move, but I agree that Cleveland are likely to tag him. I don't know what the franchise tag is for a Center, but my guess is that it isn't ridiculously high.

Getting Kouandijo and Hurst in the draft would be pretty amazing for the O-line, and I'm sure Joe would be celebrating wildly if it happened. He might even go to McDonalds again.

The rest of the picks seem to address all significant points of need, and with players who should improve the roster. The only one I'm completely unfamiliar with is Crockett Gillmore (whose name is almost as great as Mister Cobble).

Zimmerman seems like something of a compromise as a starting Free Safety, but would be more than adequate to fill that gap for a while.

Easley would be a risk, especially when the Ravens already have Kapron Lewis-Moore, another ACL injured player, slated to compete for a spot on the D-line, but I agree that he'd be a very tough prospect to pass up in the 3rd round.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravens-01 wrote:

Free agency will be probably signing: Pitta, Monroe, Daryl Smith, veteran corner if Corey Graham leaves, cheap vet WR if Jones leaves. Maybe a cheap blocking TE.

Restructure Suggs, Webb and Rice. Other than that not much the Ravens can do based on salary cap.

The franchise tag for center is the same amount as the franchise tag as the top 5 OL in the NFL. There is no distinction for center.

Meaning to franchise Mack, Cleveland would have to tag the non-exclusive tag, which should end up being $10.73m (top 5 OL from previous year) or the exclusive tag which will end up likely being more than that amount...

More likely the Browns might apply the transition tag, which is the right of first refusal. But that stipulates they wouldn't be able to use it for the duration of that players contract, meaning they would have to wait until Mack's deal with the Ravens ends... so even then, one would have to doubt that usage.

More likely the Browns would use their franchise tag on securing TJ Ward. He could be retained for a much more reasonable amount. Likely tag him for around $6.5m or so.

If we can't sign Mack it will more likely be because the Browns overspend to keep him or because Mack decides to play for a non-division rival team that also happens to be willing to overpay him/be a winning organization. I highly doubt the Browns would be willing to franchise Mack for $10m+... then again, they did just blow up their coaching staff after one year so anything's possible there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Ravens-01 wrote:

Except that Gradkowksi has honestly not shown much in the way of improvements over the season, and Jensen's reputation seems to be built entirely on the fact that no one knows anything about him. He's never set foot on the field, never even been active for a game, that I know of, yet he's been touted as a possible saviour at Center?

Sure, he could be great. But many hoped that Gradkowski would work out, and he doesn't seem to have.

Regarding the mock off-season, getting Mack would be a great move, but I agree that Cleveland are likely to tag him. I don't know what the franchise tag is for a Center, but my guess is that it isn't ridiculously high.

Getting Kouandijo and Hurst in the draft would be pretty amazing for the O-line, and I'm sure Joe would be celebrating wildly if it happened. He might even go to McDonalds again.

The rest of the picks seem to address all significant points of need, and with players who should improve the roster. The only one I'm completely unfamiliar with is Crockett Gillmore (whose name is almost as great as Mister Cobble).

Zimmerman seems like something of a compromise as a starting Free Safety, but would be more than adequate to fill that gap for a while.

Easley would be a risk, especially when the Ravens already have Kapron Lewis-Moore, another ACL injured player, slated to compete for a spot on the D-line, but I agree that he'd be a very tough prospect to pass up in the 3rd round.

Yeah, if the Ravens can't bring in Mack... I think they look towards bringing in a veteran center with proven experience with making the line calls. Perhaps even trading for someone that's on the block. A FA like Velasco might also make sense. I doubt they role into the year with Gio and another young guy as the only solution to the issue. They weren't so laissez faire regarding the defensive line last year... and it wasn't even as bad as this OL was this season. It was historically bad as a unit all things considered... no way, many components won't be re-thought in building the 2014 unit. I agree.

As mentioned in the above post, to franchise centers costs the same as franchising the top 5 OL regardless of position. There is no positional distinction. It would be cheaper to offer Mack a $7.5m deal, a record center deal... than to franchise him. The Browns would be foolish to franchise him.

And in terms of Easley, I think the risk is minimal. He's a 3rd round pick. That's where you look to take some slight risks to make a splash, since it's not exactly a premium pick. And with his ACL tear having been early in the collegiate season and this being his second time, his recovery should be much quicker this time around. He should definitely be ready for training camp, which would be about 10 months removed... and there's a good possibility that he will even be ready to test at the combine and participate in OTAs and such.

So I agree about their being risk, but we should know pretty soon what we have in Easley. Which is to say he likely won't need to redshirt the season in the same fashion as KLM. Don't disagree with their being risk, just arguing that it's not quite the same situation as with KLM. His recovery was a surefire redshirt all things considered, since he blew his knee in mid January whereas Easley blew his knee late September- that's a difference of about 4 mos in recovery. Easley should already be cleared to start running full speed in another month or so. If for some reason he doesn't make it for the combine, he definitely should be able to get in a workout at the Florida proday and perhaps some extra workouts for teams between that and draft day.

He's going to be ready to go as a rookie and will have an extra layer of motivation to boot. I think this draft has the potential to be another foundation draft. And that's why I chose to risk Easley over say, CJF... Easley could be the kind of defensive talent you end up building your defense up with. He's one of the few DL talents I'm truly high on in this years class. Most of them I find to be pretty overrated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Yeah, if the Ravens can't bring in Mack... I think they look towards bringing in a veteran center with proven experience with making the line calls. Perhaps even trading for someone that's on the block. A FA like Velasco might also make sense. I doubt they role into the year with Gio and another young guy as the only solution to the issue. They weren't so laissez faire regarding the defensive line last year... and it wasn't even as bad as this OL was this season. It was historically bad as a unit all things considered... no way, many components won't be re-thought in building the 2014 unit. I agree.

As mentioned in the above post, to franchise centers costs the same as franchising the top 5 OL regardless of position. There is no positional distinction. It would be cheaper to offer Mack a $7.5m deal, a record center deal... than to franchise him. The Browns would be foolish to franchise him.

Looking back, there did seem to be a rather lax attitude to the O-line at the end of last season. I think they liked how those guys performed in the playoffs, and figured that level of play would continue into this season. Osemele's injury couldn't be taken into account, of course, but McKinnie's laziness should have been. The scheme change, Gradkowski's issues, Oher taking over McKinnie's role as 'lazy sod in chief', all kind of difficult to foresee, I suppose.

But yeah, I would imagine they'll be far more diligent in making sure everything is done right this off-season. That has to start with the Center. Velasco did well for the Steeler, and it goes to show how an average to decent Center can be good enough if he makes the right calls on the line.

I didn't know that the franchise tag figure was just a general O-lineman tag, and that definitely clears up the question of whether Cleveland would tag Mack or not. Although, with them probably going for a QB again this year, they might decide to swallow the cap hit and keep their Pro-Bowl Center, even if they can't get a contract done.

Quote:
And in terms of Easley, I think the risk is minimal. He's a 3rd round pick. That's where you look to take some slight risks to make a splash, since it's not exactly a premium pick. And with his ACL tear having been early in the collegiate season and this being his second time, his recovery should be much quicker this time around. He should definitely be ready for training camp, which would be about 10 months removed... and there's a good possibility that he will even be ready to test at the combine and participate in OTAs and such.

Well in that case, it sounds like a much better deal. I'm sure teams will have him in to check him over, kick the tyres and see how his health is. He'll miss the Combine, but that's not such a big deal nowadays, with the depth of NFL scouting networks.

I'm actually pretty excited over the prospect of Lewis-Moore next year. Hopefully he'll prove to be a huge steal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to say this is a pretty good looking offseason can't say I wouldn't walk around with a smirk on my face thinking just wait till next season WE GOT THIS!!! Lol

I have a question I'm not to big on the salary calculations but out of curiosity if we extend Suggs, restructure Ngata, release leach, Koch, McClain would that leave enough cap to sign Monroe, pitta and Mack?
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

db not to put you out there like that, but your boy has looked down right horrible tonight! Yikes.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
patman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Ravens-01 wrote:

The franchise tag for center is the same amount as the franchise tag as the top 5 OL in the NFL. There is no distinction for center.

Meaning to franchise Mack, Cleveland would have to tag the non-exclusive tag, which should end up being $10.73m (top 5 OL from previous year) or the exclusive tag which will end up likely being more than that amount...

More likely the Browns might apply the transition tag, which is the right of first refusal. But that stipulates they wouldn't be able to use it for the duration of that players contract, meaning they would have to wait until Mack's deal with the Ravens ends... so even then, one would have to doubt that usage.

More likely the Browns would use their franchise tag on securing TJ Ward. He could be retained for a much more reasonable amount. Likely tag him for around $6.5m or so.

If we can't sign Mack it will more likely be because the Browns overspend to keep him or because Mack decides to play for a non-division rival team that also happens to be willing to overpay him/be a winning organization. I highly doubt the Browns would be willing to franchise Mack for $10m+... then again, they did just blow up their coaching staff after one year so anything's possible there.

Tag or no tag, how do you see the Ravens out bidding the Browns?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your free agency Kouandjio is a good pick in the first round. I don't think he'll fall that far when it's all said and done though. Tackle prospects with his physical tools and pedigree tend to rise pretty high and I would be Kouandjio goes in the top 10 easily even with his bad bowl game.

Matthews is another good pick. It's kind of hard seeing him fall that far too but with this draft class some of guys who aren't on the top tier (Watkins, Evans, and Lee) are going to fall and Matthews is as good a guess as any.

I like Easley. You brought up Arthur Jones as a comparison in terms of a guy being injured but I think they compare as players too. Easley is probably more athletic too. Getting a guy like him on the defensive line is a big need in my opinion. His knees are a concern but the 3rd round is his dropping point in my opinion. Easely would have been a first round pick if healthy, like Carradine last year but the latter only fell to the 2nd round and wasn't/going to be as far along in his recovery.

Hurst is pretty good that late. He likely wouldn't play in his rookie season but I wouldn't expect Baltimore to start two rookie at tackle either. A cheap, older veteran would probably be brought in if Monroe isn't re-signed.

I'm not particularly familiar with Zimmerman but any safety that has range is good with me.

Bullough would be awesome. I'm a homer and getting somebody else besides McClain or Bynes in next to Brown is a winning situation all around. He's not an overwhelming physical player, but Bullough just knows what to do. 5th round seems about right.

Not familiar with Gilmore but I like his first name.

Same goes for McDougle.

Overall I'd feel pretty good about this draft. I think all of the big needs are hit and I like the players taken to hit them with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: