Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The man who would be King (GM) of Dallas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may have tempered his words in print, but his words on the draft show were not nearly as kind. He was very critical about the decision and the player. Frederick was a prospect he didn't like at all.

And it certainly wasn't anywhere close to your claim that Broaddus will "always gush about things".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
He may have tempered his words in print, but his words on the draft show were not nearly as kind. He was very critical about the decision and the player. Frederick was a prospect he didn't like at all.

And it certainly wasn't anywhere close to your claim that Broaddus will "always gush about things".

I only recall him being judgemental about the value.

But either way, then. One player, out of how many things he has written about?

Don't be blind...Jerry writes his check. No one is going to be brutally honest about the company they work for, unless it's not on company time, and certainly not on the company's official site.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

Don't be blind...Jerry writes his check. No one is going to be brutally honest about the company they work for, unless it's not on company time, and certainly not on the company's official site.

He specifically called out Jerry for waffling on the Shariff Floyd as the #5 player on the board.

Also, there is a big difference between brutal honesty and biting your tongue. He didn't have to gush about McClay to keep his job. His words are very meaningful.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

don't lump Broadus in with Mickey Spagnola. Who even at the end of the year can't say we might need a new coach and when a caller tells him he needs to stop playing the company line he gets deeply offended.

Broadus has on multiple occasions said that the problem won't change so he asks callers not to bring it up. He has criticized the GM but knows it's a waste of breath to whine about something that isn't changing.

Spagnola is the intellectually dishonest whipping boy who talks over callers and brings up moot points and stupid premises to hide his Jerry loyalty.

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've listened to Broaddus with any regularity, you know he says what he feels. He was calling for Jason's head after the season and has been calling out Demarcus Ware for his poor play for months now. He was EXTREMELY critical of the whole draft debacle. He went on an on-air tirade with Mickey about why the head coach needed to go. Broaddus is objective. Mickey? Not so much.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/1/14/5305218/a-deeper-look-at-will-mcclay-role-with-the-dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-jason-garrett

not sure if posted yet
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/2/18/5423618/cowboys-player-personell-man-will-mcclay-were-looking-for-speed

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What we have to do on the draft is bring in as much talent as possible - and in free agency, if we’re able to do anything

Well then.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Quote:
What we have to do on the draft is bring in as much talent as possible - and in free agency, if we’re able to do anything

Well then.

But, but....people here keep telling us that our cap issues aren't a problem, and that we can do anything we want because we can just restructure everybody. And that a whole slew of free agents want to come here because "they're from Texas", and that Stephen is a cap genius, and that Jerry doesn't mortgage future caps for current ones, and...and...

Face it, we're not going to do a bloody thing in free agency beyond looking at the 4th and 5th tier players whom we can sign on the cheap, only to ultimately ignore the same dumpster fire need areas because they were "addressed" in free agency. We call it "business as usual".

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Good read.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/2/18/5423618/cowboys-player-personell-man-will-mcclay-were-looking-for-speed
So where do we need spped that we dont have it...seems like LB is our fastest position on defense

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
Quote:

Well then.

But, but....people here keep telling us that our cap issues aren't a problem, and that we can do anything we want because we can just restructure everybody. And that a whole slew of free agents want to come here because "they're from Texas", and that Stephen is a cap genius, and that Jerry doesn't mortgage future caps for current ones, and...and...

Face it, we're not going to do a bloody thing in free agency beyond looking at the 4th and 5th tier players whom we can sign on the cheap, only to ultimately ignore the same dumpster fire need areas because they were "addressed" in free agency. We call it "business as usual".

I think they could do some things in free agency if they restructured everyone's contracts again, even down to the Orton and Burningdeuce level scrubs like last year. I'd rather they not take that course of action, however.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
Quote:

Well then.

1. No one says the cap isn't a problem.
2. Nearly everyone universally agrees that restructuring non-stop is dumb.
3. We CAN get FAs. Its how we landed Carr. And nearly landed Scrabble. It just comes at a price. We would not have the highest paid back-up QB if we were stuck with "5th tier guys."

This is more of the unfounded sky is falling stuff. We can sign FA. It would just be foolish to go after high-priced ones. And, again, the bright-line for us escaping 'cap hell' is speculated to be in 2015. Why that is ignored or dismissed I don't know and frankly I don't care. But I for one am happy we are almost forced to build through the draft. I would like to see that trend continue and use FA to enhance aspects of the team, not as a crutch.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with not being much of a FA player this year. Few 3rd/4th tiers guys is perfectly fine by me.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/1/14/5305218/a-deeper-look-at-will-mcclay-role-with-the-dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-jason-garrett

not sure if posted yet

In theory, I like what Will McClay is trying to do. Sure, it would be nice if scouts and coaches were on the same page and unified in their positions. And, I especially like that Will said that he is focusing on how players fit into a scheme and having consistency within the scheme.

It all sounds good and if he's able to accomplish it there is certainly less probability of Jerry being Jerry. But, therein lies the problem. To date, Jerry has made decisions in the draft based on who made the best sales pitch. Will is simply trying to be more unified in the sales pitch. But, I'm not sure that is the best plan. First, conflict and disagreements are not necessarily bad. Scouts and coaches should have strong opinions. Scouts who have watched endless game tape and scouted 100s of prospects should have their voice. So should coaches. Ultimately that's why the GM needs to have the football acumen to know the game tape and the scheme and be the person to make the best decision. We don't have that. Will's plan may avoid outright cluster Fs, but I'm not convinced its the best way to run a team. It's simply the best way to limit Jerry's realm of decision making alternatives.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
TVScout

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with Jerry is the Draft is held too many months after the season ends. His bitterness about failed seasons has faded and the need to scratch the profit itch becomes overwhelming.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: