Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans, O'Brien reach agreement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article while informative, oversells the Earhardt-Perkins system. What the Patriots have done, and hopefully O'Brien brings is a combination of system and personnel where players can truly take multiple roles and can be used in multiple places of their route combinations. The article didn't give enough credit to the fact that the RBs can line up as WRs or that Hernandez could line up anywhere. This positional versatility is what gives the mismatches. For us, this would mean bringing in pass catching RBs, WRs with speed that could run sweeps and reverses, and H-backs like we dreamed Casey would turn into.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/07/lovie-smith-darrelle-revis-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

Interesting read on what O'Brien is looking for in a QB.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no shocker, but O'Brien will be the play caller.

Also we fired the director of pro personnel and one of our pro scouts. I wonder who made that move.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

Also we fired the director of pro personnel and one of our pro scouts. I wonder who made that move.

I was going to make a thread about that, but I didn't. I wonder if this year will be a make or break year for Rick Smith? If we have another bad season I could see him being canned. Jason LaCafora said the same thing last night. He isnt sure how the relationship between Smith and O'Brien will be.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We fired director of pro personnel Brian Gardner and scout Kevin Murphy, and Romeo Crennel apparently ran the worst practices the shrine game has ever seen. Additionally, Rick Smith apparently wanted Wiz and not O'Brien.

I've got a bad feeling about this. How is Rick Smith still here when his immediate subordinates are getting the axe? What's the point of McNair keeping him around if he's going to override his hiring decisions? And haven't we seen the head-coach-cum-totalitarian-offensive-coordinator hiring his retread cronies song and dance before?

*sigh*
CAS22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
We fired director of pro personnel Brian Gardner and scout Kevin Murphy, and Romeo Crennel apparently ran the worst practices the shrine game has ever seen. Additionally, Rick Smith apparently wanted Wiz and not O'Brien.

I've got a bad feeling about this. How is Rick Smith still here when his immediate subordinates are getting the axe? What's the point of McNair keeping him around if he's going to override his hiring decisions? And haven't we seen the head-coach-cum-totalitarian-offensive-coordinator hiring his retread cronies song and dance before?

*sigh*

Rick's brother is on twitter and said that the stuff about Wiz is not true at all. Pure speculation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:
kenney wrote:

*sigh*

Rick's brother is on twitter and said that the stuff about Wiz is not true at all. Pure speculation.

That's good to know (and I mean that sincerely), but my other concerns still stand. I just don't like seeing the whole, "First time head coach from a coaching tree that produces only failed head coaches is given free reign over entire football operation including management and only hires his failure, retread friends." thing.

The only thing that doesn't immediately feel Kubiakian about this is that O'Brien's offensive scheme isn't already outdated.
buckwild

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
CAS22 wrote:
kenney wrote:

*sigh*

That's good to know (and I mean that sincerely), but my other concerns still stand. I just don't like seeing the whole, "First time head coach from a coaching tree that produces only failed head coaches is given free reign over entire football operation including management and only hires his failure, retread friends." thing.

O'brien has been a HC. in college, Kubs was only a coordinator. So your comparing apples to oranges in this scenario. I would much rather copy the Patriots who has been a perennial contender rather than the Broncos who were a flash in the pan.

The only thing that doesn't immediately feel Kubiakian about this is that O'Brien's offensive scheme isn't already outdated.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
kenney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
kenney wrote:
CAS22 wrote:
kenney wrote:

*sigh*

O'brien has been a HC. in college, Kubs was only a coordinator. So your comparing apples to oranges in this scenario. I would much rather copy the Patriots who has been a perennial contender rather than the Broncos who were a flash in the pan.

Fixed it for you.

Also, I don't think comparing O'Brien to Kubiak is "apples to oranges" simply because O'Brien had HC experience at the college level. The requirements for success as a HC on the college level are different from those at the NFL level (which I'm sure you know), and those differences leave a ton of room for uncertainty in this transition.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I was going to make a thread about that, but I didn't. I wonder if this year will be a make or break year for Rick Smith? If we have another bad season I could see him being canned. Jason LaCafora said the same thing last night. He isnt sure how the relationship between Smith and O'Brien will be.

The only thing that scares me is if we give BOB too much power. But if he's anywhere near as good at Bill he can have whatever he wants.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually view this as a great sign. This isn't like after 2010 when we could easily point to the incompetent Frank Bush and other unqualified Kubiak cronies and nepotism hires like David Gibbs and experience an immediate lift by replacing the dead weight with actual qualified pro's like Phillips and Joseph. If Bob stopped at Kubiak, Marciano, and Schaub, it would imply that with a decent QB, an updated offensive system, and special teams that didn't kill us that we'd be right back where we needed to be. You don't lose 14 straight games without having much deeper problems, folks! Somebody has to be accountable for the decisions that resulted in two seasons of abysmal play on the right side of the o-line, two seasons of abysmal play at nickel/dime corner, two seasons of abysmal play at #2 ILB, the complete failure of the Ed Reed / Glover Quin swap, and the success of Texans personnel elsewhere including Barwin, Ryans, Q. Demps, Holliday, Jacoby, Chris Jones while we mortgaged our cap for Schaub, Foster, and Daniels. I suspect that's where Gardner takes the fall as the Pro Personnel Dir takes the hit when we cut / sign the wrong players and the moves were just plain ugly this offseason.

I suspect Rick Smith somehow managed to convince Bob that the past two failed drafts were due to the meddling of Kubiak (Posey, Martin, Bonner, Bullock) and bad luck with injuries on defense while Murphy takes the fall for poor scouting on Montgomery, B. Williams, T. Williams, etc. I don't see how Rick doesn't avoid blame for all of his failed secondary picks over the past 7 years especially trading up for Brandon Harris in the 2nd, burning middle round picks for zero impact with Carmichael, McManus, Molden, Bennett, Harrison and resigning Brice McCain to be the worst nickle in the NFL. Nobody quite knows what hold Rick has on Bob, but I suspect being able to take the heat in the Dunta, Winston, DeMeco and Mario salary dumps bought him plenty of goodwill and Rick didn't get to where he is without being a pretty masterful politician which is all about not having negativity stick to you.

I can see this being a bit of a Casserly type situation as without his #2 and #4, Rick is on a bit of a lame duck island with O'Brien likely angling to work with someone with ties to the Pats personnel, but I do see some value in some continuity especially if we decide that resigning Rick's crowning achievement in the JJ Watt pick is a priority. At the very least, we'll finally get to see where the line between Rick Smith and Kubiak is this offseason.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the decision whether it's official or not of BOB choosing not to hire a OC since he'll be the play caller.

I think he can pull it off this year, especially having a DC with HC experience and I'd be even more comfortable if Munch signs on as OL Coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Munchak going to the Steelers as OL coach. That would have been a very good add, but Munchak wanted to stay home close to Pittsburgh. I wonder if we interview Bruce Matthews for a Texans return.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m

#Patriots are losing TE coach George Godsey, as he’ll join his good friend #Texans coach Bill O’Brien’s staff, barring something unforeseen

Expected. He is going to coach the QB's and have the "OC" title even though O'Brien is going to call the plays. Can he work with our tight ends also?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he announced the official titles of all these coaches once he completes his staff....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: