Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean McDermott HC else where?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dingo18287

Most Valuable Poster

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Sean McDermott HC else where? Reply with quote

Just read that SMcD is going to interview for the Redskins HC job. Heard his name mentioned as a possible candidate several weeks ago as well.

If he were to leave, how do you think this would effect the defense? While he is the DC in name, I'm sure Riveria has a big influence on defensive prep. Do you think they would promote from within or grab someone from another organization?

Overall, I think he stays, but will be a HC some time down the road. Although, I was saying the same thing about Chud last year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he is splashy enough to go to Washington.

However, if he leaves, I agree with you. Rivera has a lot of influence on D. I don't want McDermott to go, but if he does I think we will be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This irritates me a little bit, the guy has one of the biggest games of his coaching careers in two weeks and a week before the game he is interviewing for a head coach position elsewhere. I know this happens a lot, but at least wait until after we win the Superbowl Laughing

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
This irritates me a little bit, the guy has one of the biggest games of his coaching careers in two weeks and a week before the game he is interviewing for a head coach position elsewhere. I know this happens a lot, but at least wait until after we win the Superbowl Laughing

I agree, although I guess before we know who our opponent is he really can't do much. The position coaches can handle it this week.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're flying to Charlotte to talk to him. Plus an interview doesn't take ALL day. This isn't going to ruin our chances of winning in the divisional round.

I don't think he will get it. I think the fact that we have so much high-end talent (Hardy was once a top 10 pick, CJ, Short, then TD, Luke, Star are all 1st rounders) is why we're having such a great defense. We don't do anything particularly complex. Let the DL do their thing while Luke and TD perform cleanup. Meanwhile, someone like Rob Chudzinski is definitely flashy and made for a nice looking hire.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
They're flying to Charlotte to talk to him. Plus an interview doesn't take ALL day. This isn't going to ruin our chances of winning in the divisional round.

I don't think he will get it. I think the fact that we have so much high-end talent (Hardy was once a top 10 pick, CJ, Short, then TD, Luke, Star are all 1st rounders) is why we're having such a great defense. We don't do anything particularly complex. Let the DL do their thing while Luke and TD perform cleanup. Meanwhile, someone like Rob Chudzinski is definitely flashy and made for a nice looking hire.

Is it too late to bring him back? Laughing

Gamecocks
AJ23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
Zithers wrote:

Is it too late to bring him back? Laughing
I wouldn't want him back. The one thing that Shula managed to do that Chud did not is use the Toldozer properly. It frustrated me sometimes how little (if at all) Chud used him. Tolbert's new increased roll in the offense has been huge. Shula seems humble enough to realize it, while Chud. . . maybe not so much Rolling Eyes .

I realize Shula has made it easy to be critical of his play calling, but I don't think they should throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let him learn from his mistakes and let's see how improved the offense is after he's had a full season to see what they can do with his scheme. Yeah, you've got training camp and practice, but they're not the same thing as live regular season action. I would expect the offense to improve next season (if not over the next several weeks). I'm sure he's tweaking it and will continue to to get the most out of the players.
rjkilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave everyone on the defensive side of the ball ALONE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he leaves, I don't see much of a drop off happening. Rivera has a huge hand in the success of this D, McDermott just calls the plays according to Rivera's game plan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, if he leaves I think we'll bring in Frazier as out D coordinator, so it might actually work out better Laughing
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Man, if he leaves I think we'll bring in Frazier as out D coordinator, so it might actually work out better Laughing

That's a pretty smart move, didn't even think of that, they both played on that 1985 Bears squad. Wouldn't even min bringing Singletary along with him

Gamecocks
CarolinaKitten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughguy77 wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:

That's a pretty smart move, didn't even think of that, they both played on that 1985 Bears squad. Wouldn't even min bringing Singletary along with him

They going to teach everyone the Shuffle? Mad

Sig by Me
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaKitten wrote:
Toughguy77 wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:

They going to teach everyone the Shuffle? Mad

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If McDermott leaves then I feel like it's an almost certainty that we promote Steven Wilks, the DB coach.

Pretty sure Rivera had him as his first choice for DC but San Diego didn't let him interview.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
If McDermott leaves then I feel like it's an almost certainty that we promote Steven Wilks, the DB coach.

Pretty sure Rivera had him as his first choice for DC but San Diego didn't let him interview.

It is total guesswork most of the time when it comes to figuring out position coaches, but having learned under Rivera for a bit in San Diego and Lovie Smith in Chicago gives me hope he would be a good hire. Both of those teams had quality secondaries under him and the fact our secondary has gotten so much better may say something about his coaching as well considering the lack of top level talent. It could just be great scheming by McDermott but still, I do see this being the most likely scenario.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: