Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Newton Extention
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panattack86 wrote:
Quote:
Alex Marvez‏@alexmarvez
I don't have final numbers yet but am reporting for @FOXSports that #bears qb jay cutler's new deal averages 18M for 1st 3 yrs, source says

Like I said earlier cams next deal will b between 15-20 mil a year. Cutlers garbage and got the deal above and it's a 7 year deal.

I think that's a fair assessment. A lot will depend on what he does this January. If we win the SB, he'll probably get a contract higher than Flacco, probably around 21-22M per.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the Cutler deal doesn't make Cam's price go up.

Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man these QBs are way overpaid these days. 18 mil a year? For Cutler? Rodgers should be making 28 or more a year. Like really, if you could have Cutler or Rodgers for roughly the same exact price(Rodgers cap hit this year was 12 mil actually) you would take Rodgers 100 times out of 100. To a certain point I don't care I know the salary cap is going to rise plus we're guaranteed one less threat in the NFC now. I'm trusting Gettlemagic to not highly overpay Newton but I guess I can't avoid the fact that we are going to overpay him, considering we're winning the Superbowl this year. Wink

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Man these QBs are way overpaid these days. 18 mil a year? For Cutler? Rodgers should be making 28 or more a year. Like really, if you could have Cutler or Rodgers for roughly the same exact price(Rodgers cap hit this year was 12 mil actually) you would take Rodgers 100 times out of 100. To a certain point I don't care I know the salary cap is going to rise plus we're guaranteed one less threat in the NFC now. I'm trusting Gettlemagic to not highly overpay Newton but I guess I can't avoid the fact that we are going to overpay him, considering we're winning the Superbowl this year. Wink

It's not "overpaying" if it's fair market value...
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:

Do you think Cutler is worth 18 mil? Keep in mind Rodgers makes just under 18 mil next season, Peyton Manning makes just under 18 next season, and Drew Brees also makes under 18 mil next season. Surprisingly enough they have all won the big one. In fact no team in the playoffs this year has a QB with a cap hit over 18 mil, and don't quote me on this because I don't feel like looking it up but I believe there is only 5 teams whose QB cap hit is over 10 mil this year. Considering Colin, Cam, Russell, Luck, Dalton, A. Smith, and Foles are the other QBs, their cap average is probably well under. Also, don't quote me on this either, but I'd be willing to bet that the average cap hit of the QB of the winning Super Bowl the last ten years team is low. Like very low, probably well under 18 mil a year.

48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

Do you think Cutler is worth 18 mil? Keep in mind Rodgers makes just under 18 mil next season, Peyton Manning makes just under 18 next season, and Drew Brees also makes under 18 mil next season. Surprisingly enough they have all won the big one. In fact no team in the playoffs this year has a QB with a cap hit over 18 mil, and don't quote me on this because I don't feel like looking it up but I believe there is only 5 teams whose QB cap hit is over 10 mil this year. Considering Colin, Cam, Russell, Luck, Dalton, A. Smith, and Foles are the other QBs, their cap average is probably well under. Also, don't quote me on this either, but I'd be willing to bet that the average cap hit of the QB of the winning Super Bowl the last ten years team is low. Like very low, probably well under 18 mil a year.

If the Bears didn't pay it someone else would have... Romo got paid, Stafford got paid and now Cutler is getting paid. Newton will get paid very well b/c the market demand that he does. Also, Kaepernick, Wilson Dalton, Luck and Foles all will have a nice payday that is equivalent to what Cam will get b/c you just cannot allow a franchise QB touch the FA market. So it really doesn't matter if you or I think Cutler or anyone is worth their contract b/c obviously someone very high up in the NFL believes he is. Like I said, the market determines the dollars...
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrown2699 wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:
tbrown2699 wrote:

If the Bears didn't pay it someone else would have... Romo got paid, Stafford got paid and now Cutler is getting paid. Newton will get paid very well b/c the market demand that he does. Also, Kaepernick, Wilson Dalton, Luck and Foles all will have a nice payday that is equivalent to what Cam will get b/c you just cannot allow a franchise QB touch the FA market. So it really doesn't matter if you or I think Cutler or anyone is worth their contract b/c obviously someone very high up in the NFL believes he is. Like I said, the market determines the dollars...

I never really said you didn't. I just kinda was stating my opinion why its not smart in terms of a championship team standpoint.

48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gettleman: Cam Newton is a franchise QB

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/14/panthers-g-m-cam-newton-is-the-franchise-quarterback/

Sounds like he is ready to commit to Cam. Is an extention coming?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really believe it is. I believe we option his 5th year and look to sign him through the middle of next season once we get a clear indication of where the team is going.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I really believe it is. I believe we option his 5th year and look to sign him through the middle of next season once we get a clear indication of where the team is going.

Agreed, we can't afford to let Cam get away. It isn't often a team finds a franchise QB. Teams like Jax, Oak, NYJ, etc are shining examples of how hard it is to succeed without one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I'm very interested in seeing is how these mobile, athletic quarterbacks age. More and more teams seem to be relying on this new breed of mobile quarterbacks. They can't rely on their speed forever, and at some point they are going to need to be a reliable pocket passer. How many years can they rely on their legs to bail them out?

Michael Vick had a big year in 2010, but since he's hit his thirties he hasn't been nearly as effective. And now he isn't even starting. Concussions and other injuries contributed too. I just wonder how long Cam can hold up. Three years now and he hasn't missed a game yet, and playing with a pretty mediocre offensive line for almost his entire career. We have all seen him get banged up pretty badly, and come up gimpy at times.
faccda01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers27 wrote:
One thing that I'm very interested in seeing is how these mobile, athletic quarterbacks age. More and more teams seem to be relying on this new breed of mobile quarterbacks. They can't rely on their speed forever, and at some point they are going to need to be a reliable pocket passer. How many years can they rely on their legs to bail them out?

Michael Vick had a big year in 2010, but since he's hit his thirties he hasn't been nearly as effective. And now he isn't even starting. Concussions and other injuries contributed too. I just wonder how long Cam can hold up. Three years now and he hasn't missed a game yet, and playing with a pretty mediocre offensive line for almost his entire career. We have all seen him get banged up pretty badly, and come up gimpy at times.

I don't think that's a concern this time around. Cam is only 24 and is one of the biggest QBs in the league. He will hold up way better than a normal running QB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: