Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Newton Extention
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Newton Extention Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/3594/panthers-are-on-the-clock-to-extend-newton

According to this article, the Panthers need to provide Cam with written notice if they plan on exercising the 5th year option. If not, they will have to either sign him to an extention, or prepare to let him face free agency.

Realistically, it is either the 5th year option or and extention. If we exercise the option, it would be equivilant to a franchise tag, upwards of 17 million or more. Remember, this would be for 2015, so even if we franchised Hardy this year, both of those numbers wouldn't be in the same year.

What would you do in Gettleman's position? I would personally try to get an extention done ASAP. I think Cam will only improve from here, and he has already shown he can lead his team to wins with a sub par supporting cast on offense.

How much would you pay him? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to contracts, would he command over $20 mil a year?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way 20 mil. IMO that's reserved for top 3 QBs in the league, Flacco aside. Cam is top 10 so I'm really hoping to boils down to 12-15 mil a year 45 mil guaranteed, for hopefully 6-7 years or longer.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
panattack86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cams cap was iver 15 mil this year. And 20 mil for top 3 qbs only. Thats a joke. Take a look at qb cap numbers for this past year. The extension is the best option but his cap will b around 18-20 mil annually. Hes earned it. I wouldnt mind a 4 year extension with a cap between 18-20 mil.
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panattack86 wrote:
Cams cap was iver 15 mil this year. And 20 mil for top 3 qbs only. Thats a joke. Take a look at qb cap numbers for this past year. The extension is the best option but his cap will b around 18-20 mil annually. Hes earned it. I wouldnt mind a 4 year extension with a cap between 18-20 mil.

Was it? Laughing I thought his total contract was like 22 mil for 4 years?

Edit: Yeah I looked it up 15 mil this year is wrong its only 6 mil

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cam-newton/
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, Every QB in the league this year is making 18 mil a year or under, and you want to pay him 18-20 mil a year. No offense man but I'm glad Gettlemagic is the one who is the GM Wink
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
panattack86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad I was looking at dead money. Reading comprehension fail. I was saying every qb is making 18mil. Most of the leagues starting qbs are still on there rookie contracts. I do think 18-20 is a lil high. But is it outrageous I dont think so. Ideally 10-15 would b best for the team. But look at the recent extensions on qbs I mean romo/flacco just got over 100mil. Idk about u but id take cam over both of them in a heartbeat.
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panattack86 wrote:
My bad I was looking at dead money. Reading comprehension fail. I was saying every qb is making 18mil. Most of the leagues starting qbs are still on there rookie contracts. I do think 18-20 is a lil high. But is it outrageous I dont think so. Ideally 10-15 would b best for the team. But look at the recent extensions on qbs I mean romo/flacco just got over 100mil. Idk about u but id take cam over both of them in a heartbeat.

Oh no doubt I would, however both of those QBs were Grossly overpaid. I couldn't even imagine how good Cam would be if he had the weapons on offense Romo has.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this is that Cam will be the first of the QBs taken under the new rookie wage scales. That makes his next contract unknown territory.

All of the teams in the NFL will be monitoring this deal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw spotrac predict we'd do 6/102 with 35 guaranteed.

I'm praying Cam somehow decides to take a discount. I mean... he has a lot of endorsements, right?!

Do it Cammy. Let us keep Luke, Kraken (LOL), Olsen, TD, Star, KK, Kalil, etc. Please.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be $17M/year, not unreasonable. I won't be surprised if it's somewhere in $14-16M per year range, possibly up to $17M depending on structure. Actual cap hit likely won't be that high, though. A lot of that would be bonuses.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Cypher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he gets 5/85 added to his deal to make it a six year contract.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he gets a ring this year I wouldn't doubt if it were 18+.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
faccda01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:
If he gets a ring this year I wouldn't doubt if it were 18+.

Agreed. Let's hope that is a problem we face Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With both Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco both getting 20M+ a piece per year, wouldn't be surprised if Cam was in that area as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alex Marvez‏@alexmarvez
I don't have final numbers yet but am reporting for @FOXSports that #bears qb jay cutler's new deal averages 18M for 1st 3 yrs, source says

Like I said earlier cams next deal will b between 15-20 mil a year. Cutlers garbage and got the deal above and it's a 7 year deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: