Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Coaching Staff Transactions (OL Coach Drevno to USC)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I have no idea what the hell Mangini even does for this team aside from having Harbaugh waste a lot of timeouts on some terrible challenges Laughing .

When I heard about the hire I thought it strange. But when I heard that, as a defensive guy, he was going to help the offense analyze the upcoming team's defense and put together a good plan of attack I loved that idea. Sadly, I rearely saw anything that looked like a great plan of attack, or anything that made it look like we were absolutely picking apart a defense. If Kap could fling it 20 yards to an open receiver, or scramble out of the pocket, then our offense moved. If not, well then not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation 1m
Roman sticks around RT @MaryKayCabot: #Browns have reached a deal with Pettine, source tells http://cleveland.com

looks like we'll have our staff for at least one more year.
Niner_Finer23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:
Roman sticks around RT @MaryKayCabot: #Browns have reached a deal with Pettine, source tells http://cleveland.com

Goodbye superbowl

RAY LEWIS 2.0
You dont Kung-Fu,Kung-Fu is a way of life-
Jackie Chan
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully Roman can get back to using his creative running plays from 2011 to revamp the rushing attack. Give Hunter the ball in some of those counter sweeps. I'm dying to see Hunter run through some of the huge holes Gore gets. Hunter would take some of those to the house.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngish , promising ssistants on teams that go to the conference championship game and/or SB several years in a row are usually in demand. I think it does say something about how Roman is regarded around the league that he's still here and we've heard no rumors of him getting any offers. Perhaps not so many other GMs are willing to put up with our sorry excuse for a passing attack, or his horrible play calling. And, sadly, we're likely to get more of the same once again next year.

Who knows, maybe some honest self-examination will cause them to try to do things a little differently next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully Roman can get back to using his creative running plays from 2011 to revamp the rushing attack. Give Hunter the ball in some of those counter sweeps. I'm dying to see Hunter run through some of the huge holes Gore gets. Hunter would take some of those to the house.

We've gone from 8th in 2011, to 4th in 2012, to 3rd in 2013 in rushing. Our problem is not rushing. Our problem is a passing attack that has been near the bottom of the league all three years.

And please folks don't think I'm wanting to give up on the run. But there is no reason to use being a good running team as an excuse for being a terrible passing team. Lots of teams over the years have been good at both. I'm not looking for best in league, or even great at both, but our offense would be way harder to stop if we could keep our rushing attack in the top 10 and get our passing attack up that high too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

We've gone from 8th in 2011, to 4th in 2012, to 3rd in 2013 in rushing. Our problem is not rushing. Our problem is a passing attack that has been near the bottom of the league all three years.

And please folks don't think I'm wanting to give up on the run. But there is no reason to use being a good running team as an excuse for being a terrible passing team. Lots of teams over the years have been good at both. I'm not looking for best in league, or even great at both, but our offense would be way harder to stop if we could keep our rushing attack in the top 10 and get our passing attack up that high too.

We were 7th in yards per pass attempts... maybe what you seek is not so much a scheme change, but a philosophical shift in our run-to-pass ratio.

If Kap can build on the end of this year and keep his completion percentage above 60%, his yards per attempt could be even higher. If we improve on third down conversions and in the redzone, that will drive his completion percentage and YPA higher. I know the playcalls haven't always been the best, but Kap has left a lot of yards and points on the field with his inconsistent accuracy. He was far more accurate in 2012 than he was this year. If he can work with a coach on his mechanics (like Tom House, who helped Alex tremendously), our offense would look a lot better. The scheme, although not very sexy, seems to work. 7th in the league in yards per attempt. 2nd in 2012.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

Not saying we got worse or anything, I just want to see more of the creative plays that Roman removed from the play ok this year. I whole heartedly agree that our basic passing game NEEDS to improve or we are not going to get anywhere. I know Harbaugh isn't letting anyone go but it might not be a bad idea to bring in a passing guru or something to help get the ball rolling in the passing game. It's either they don't have anything better or they're not ready to expand to the entire playbook. My vote is on the latter because of Harbaughs tendency to try to control situations more than they need to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
We were 7th in yards per pass attempts... maybe what you seek is not so much a scheme change, but a philosophical shift in our run-to-pass ratio.

If Kap can build on the end of this year and keep his completion percentage above 60%, his yards per attempt could be even higher. If we improve on third down conversions and in the redzone, that will drive his completion percentage and YPA higher. I know the playcalls haven't always been the best, but Kap has left a lot of yards and points on the field with his inconsistent accuracy. He was far more accurate in 2012 than he was this year. If he can work with a coach on his mechanics (like Tom House, who helped Alex tremendously), our offense would look a lot better. The scheme, although not very sexy, seems to work. 7th in the league in yards per attempt. 2nd in 2012.

Yeah, my biggest complaint on Romas has been some of his playcalls on 3rd or 4th and short, but this offense runs through the philosophy of Harbaugh. Remember, he had arguably the best QB prospect in 20 years in College in Andrew Luck and they still were a run first team. The teams that lead league in YPG will be those that are heavy passing teams. Kap certainly left a lot of yards and points on the field and next year his YPA should go up to at least 8.5. So we may still rank towards the bottom in total Passing YPG next year, but some settle improvements will go a long way. His completion percentage HAS to be above 60%, and I believe before the postseason it was with Crabtree. Of course, calling some easy/safe play calls such as quick hitters to the WRs, or running some screen plays will help the completion percentage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

Our pass to run ratio is 47.77% to 52.23%. I know what looks pretty darn close to 50/50, but we were #2 overall in percentage of run plays called, and #31 overall in percentage of pass plays called.

We also seem to shut Kap down in the 2nd half, once we get a good lead. Because of that, Kap doesn't get many opportunities and our run game takes over.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

I know it's popular to quote the YPA stat, but I'm not impressed. In fact I think we'd be better if it went down. We rely too much on low percentage, relatively-long passes. Thus when we really need to complete a pass - like at the end of the Super Bowl, or at the end of the NFL Championship game, we don't have a reliable, high-perentage pass play in our entire repertoire. I think you're exactly right about improving our 3rd down and redzone passing - but that's problem! We throw so many 15-20 yarders that we just aren't very good at all, in fact we suck at completing simple 5 to 10 yarders to move the chains or get the ball in the endzone. If we could do that, then our passing stats will go up, our 3rd down conversion rate will go up, we'll score more TDs instead of FGs, and just maybe we'll be able to find a way to score at the end of a big game to win it all.

I mentioned a few days ago how bad our passing game and our total offense was this year. A few folks, I think you're one, pointed out that we rely on the run and have a nice YPA for passes. But I went back and looked at the last 10 SBs. No team over the past 10 Super Bowls with total offense numbers like ours has managed to win the SB. I really think the chances of winning the SB with a near-bottom-of-the-league passing attack are pretty slim.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Yeah, my biggest complaint on Romas has been some of his playcalls on 3rd or 4th and short, but this offense runs through the philosophy of Harbaugh. Remember, he had arguably the best QB prospect in 20 years in College in Andrew Luck and they still were a run first team. The teams that lead league in YPG will be those that are heavy passing teams. Kap certainly left a lot of yards and points on the field and next year his YPA should go up to at least 8.5. So we may still rank towards the bottom in total Passing YPG next year, but some settle improvements will go a long way. His completion percentage HAS to be above 60%, and I believe before the postseason it was with Crabtree. Of course, calling some easy/safe play calls such as quick hitters to the WRs, or running some screen plays will help the completion percentage.

Like I said yesterday (I think) Brett Favre could be the model - a QB with a cannon for an arm that liked to throw it a bit longer than most guys, and into tight windows. Still he had a lot of years over 60%, several near 65%, and he even had several seasons over 65%. And a ot of those years he still had a YPA over 7. Some people here said as the year was starting that it would be OK for Kap to hit only 60% of his passes. I think that target is too low. He should be aiming, and our offense should designed to help him be getting to, 65% or more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

I know it's popular to quote the YPA stat, but I'm not impressed. In fact I think we'd be better if it went down. We rely too much on low percentage, relatively-long passes. Thus when we really need to complete a pass - like at the end of the Super Bowl, or at the end of the NFL Championship game, we don't have a reliable, high-perentage pass play in our entire repertoire. I think you're exactly right about improving our 3rd down and redzone passing - but that's problem! We throw so many 15-20 yarders that we just aren't very good at all, in fact we suck at completing simple 5 to 10 yarders to move the chains or get the ball in the endzone. If we could do that, then our passing stats will go up, our 3rd down conversion rate will go up, we'll score more TDs instead of FGs, and just maybe we'll be able to find a way to score at the end of a big game to win it all.

I mentioned a few days ago how bad our passing game and our total offense was this year. A few folks, I think you're one, pointed out that we rely on the run and have a nice YPA for passes. But I went back and looked at the last 10 SBs. No team over the past 10 Super Bowls with total offense numbers like ours has managed to win the SB. I really think the chances of winning the SB with a near-bottom-of-the-league passing attack are pretty slim.

I don't think throwing shorter, higher percentage passes would lower his YPA that much, mostly because his completion rate would then be higher. What kills a YPA is really an incomplete pass, because you get 0 yard every time. If anything, it would open up the field so he can connect more often on his preferred mid-range and deep balls. It would also slow down the pass rush, spread the defense horizontally, unload the box and facilitate inside running. It would improve the entire offense. If you look at the top 10 in YPA, we're the only team under 60% completion. If we could only trade a few incompletions for short completions, at the end of the year, we'd have hundreds of yards more in offense, really. Even without changing our run-to-pass ratio, just spreading the field horizontally would help out our offense in many ways. If it loosens up the defense up to the point where even our running plays get us more yards on first and second downs, it will certainly make many more third downs more manageable.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Quote:

I don't think throwing shorter, higher percentage passes would lower his YPA that much, mostly because his completion rate would then be higher. What kills a YPA is really an incomplete pass, because you get 0 yard every time. If anything, it would open up the field so he can connect more often on his preferred mid-range and deep balls. It would also slow down the pass rush, spread the defense horizontally, unload the box and facilitate inside running. It would improve the entire offense. If you look at the top 10 in YPA, we're the only team under 60% completion. If we could only trade a few incompletions for short completions, at the end of the year, we'd have hundreds of yards more in offense, really. Even without changing our run-to-pass ratio, just spreading the field horizontally would help out our offense in many ways. If it loosens up the defense up to the point where even our running plays get us more yards on first and second downs, it will certainly make many more third downs more manageable.

Yes, indeed. If I said we should throw fewer intermediate passes, I meant in relation to shorter passes. Take the gimmes that are often out there, hit 5 to 10 yarders at a 70-75% rate. Then keep throwing the intermediate stuff. As you say that gives us several short completions for more passing yards, and hopefully more 3rd down conversions and redzone passing TDs, but should also make those intermediate, and long, throws even easier so he can up his completion rate on them. I still think even with Kap favoring the intermediate range pass he could, and should, get up to 65% or so completion rate by taking the easy stuff when a defense is willing to give it to us. Peyton's YPA is significantly higher than Kap's, but he'll eat teams alive with swing passes and quick hitters if they keep dropping back too fast, or don't cover backs swinging out of the backfield.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Like I said yesterday (I think) Brett Favre could be the model - a QB with a cannon for an arm that liked to throw it a bit longer than most guys, and into tight windows. Still he had a lot of years over 60%, several near 65%, and he even had several seasons over 65%. And a ot of those years he still had a YPA over 7. Some people here said as the year was starting that it would be OK for Kap to hit only 60% of his passes. I think that target is too low. He should be aiming, and our offense should designed to help him be getting to, 65% or more.

He only had 2 seasons over 65%.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: