You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

One last hoorah - Mock offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: One last hoorah - Mock offseason Reply with quote

What to do with Coughlin, Gilbride and Eli

This may not be a popular choice, but I think the coaching staff should be back for one more year. After debating who is to blame for this season, and who should stay and who should go, I came to this conclusion. I believe the fate of Coughlin, Gilbride and Eli are all linked. The most popular scapegoat would be Gilbride. So let's pretend we fire Gilbride. Eli, at 33 years old, will have to learn a brand new scheme different from the one he's played in, and had success in, his entire career. Is it fair to make Eli do that in such a critical point in his career, coming off his worst season ever? There would have to be a learning curve, and at his age, there is no time for that. So this is why I think we keep Coughlin, Gilbride and Eli together for one last hoorah. If they fail, they all go, and we get a fresh start with a new coaching staff and a top 10 pick at QB. However, changes will be made. The remaining corp of players that won us the last Superbowl will have to go to create cap space for younger, more effective players.

The Purge

WR Hakeem Nick - He looks injured and disinterested. It started out like a great career, but it's time to move on.
    TE Bradon Myers - I believe we have an easy way out of his contract after year one. It just didn't work out.
    DE Justin Tuck - He's turned in on as of late. But it's too little too late. He's been largely ineffective for several years.
    OG Chris Snee - It'll be hard for Coughlin to justify keeping him with his contract
    OC David Baas - Bad signing. Time to cut our losses.
    OT David Diehl - Has played admirably where ever he is asked. But it's time.
    CB Corey Webster - Injured and ineffective.
    CB Aaron Ross - See above.
    CB Terrell Thomas - See above.

Welcome Back

DT Linval Joseph - He's young and a good runstuffer. With the age and lack of depth, we can't let him go.
    RB Andre Brown - Brought a ressurgance to the Giants running game. Needs to be signed with Wilson being so questionable.
    RB Peyton Hillis - I love the way he punishes people once he gets past the line of scrimmage.
    LB Jon Beason - It's been refreshing to see a real leader in the middle of the defense. Knee is a concern though.
    LB Keith Rivers - I don't know why. Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment.
    CB Trumaine McBride - He has played admirably filling in for the injured corners.
    S Stevie Brown - The injury will allow us to resign him for cheap. But his starting job is not garaunteed.
    OG Kevin Boothe - Good backup at either guard or center.

Sign

CB Alterraun Verner

Behind Prince, our CB corp is in bad shape. Verner is a young, smart cover corner. He'll demand a decent sized contract, but will be worth it.

DE Michael Johnson

Had a bit of a down year in terms of sacks, but he can come in on a prove it contract like Cliff Avril or Michael Bennett did in free agency last year. Our passrush is terrible. We can't sit on our hands and hope JPP gets back to form.

OG Jon Asomoah

Step one in fixing the offensive line. Our guard and center play is pathetic in both the run and pass game. We need two new starters immediately. Asomoah is young but has some experience and talent.

TE Brandon Pettigrew

A big TE in the mold of the departed Martellus Bennett.

OT Marshall Newhouse

We need offensive line depth.

OT J'Marcus Webb

Don't worry. Big body just for depth.

WR Jacoby Ford

Perhaps he can regain some of his rookie form.

Draft

1. WR / Sammy Watkins / 6'1" 205 / Clemsen

I like Rueben Randle. But I don't know if I like him as a number 1 receiver, which is what we need with the downfall and departure of Nicks. Watkins is a true #1. Big, physical, fast, good route runner. Put him on one side, Randle on the other side and Cruz in the slot, and perhaps Eli can get out of his funk.

2. OG / Cyril Richardson / 6'5" 340 / Baylor

Step two in fixing the offensive line. I want a mauler at OG that can open a running lane. Richardson is a strong, athletic man that can do just that. He also played some LT, protecting RG3's backside at Baylor.

3. LB / Telvin Smith / 6'2" 220 / Florida State

We need some youth and athleticism at linebacker. A bit undersized, but makes up for it with athleticism.

4. DT / Anthony Johnson / 6'3" 300 / Lousiana State

Defensive tackle depth. Joseph and Hankins will be starters. But Shaun Rogers is likely gone. Mike Patterson isn't getting younger.

5. DE / Marcus Smith / 6'3" 250 / Louisville

Grasping at straws to rebuild the passrush and defensive line.

6. ATH / Dri Archer / 5'8" 175 / Kent State

This is a guy I really like. He lines up at running back for Kent State, but he can flat out fly. He averages 9, yes 9 yards per carry. Size is an issue, but maybe we'll have a decent return man for a change.

Roster

QB : Eli Manning / Ryan Nassib
    RB : Andre Brown / David Wilson / Peyton Hillis / Michael Cox
    FB : John Connor
    WR : Victor Cruz / Sammy Watkins / Rueben Randle / Jerrel Jernigan / Dri Archer / Jacoby Jones
    TE : Brandon Pettigrew / Adrien Robinson / Larry Donnell
    OT : Justin Pugh / Will Beatty / Marshall Newhouse / J'Marcus Webb
    OG : Jon Asomoah / Cyril Richardson / Brandon Mosley
    OC : Jim Cordle / Kevin Boothe

DE : Jason Pierre Paul / Michael Johnson / Mathias Kiwanuka / Damontre Moore / Marcus Smith
    DT : Linval Joseph / Jon Hankins / Cullen Jenkins / Anthony Johnson
    LB : Jon Beason / Spencer Paysinger / Telvin Smith / Jacquian Williams / Keith Rivers
    CB : Prince Amukamara / Alterraun Verner / Trumaine McBride / Jayron Hosley / Charles James
    S : Antrel Rolle / Will Hill / Stevie Brown / Cooper Taylor

PK : Josh Brown
    P : Steve Weatherford
    LS : Zach DeOssie

scar988 wrote:
I'm of the belief the best QB in NY right now (July 2017) is Geno Smith.

SMH
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I absolutely LOVE the draft. It's honestly almost ideal for me. Sammy Watkins is a stud. We desperately need to fill that WR1 spot for our offense to produce and open things up for Cruz. That should be the #1 priority going into the draft IMO

With the F/A, I think I'd rather have Tuck than Kiwi. I know Kiwi gives more versatility, but Tuck has been much better overall this season and great against the run. But he has gotten pressure and the numbers are finally showing. I don't believe Tuck is to blame much for the pass rush woes, and I think he deserves to be a starter next year with a 1-2 year extension. CB and OL depth is a must. We will sign some cheap veterans to compete for starting positions or depth, but a big F/A acquisition is mandatory. I would hate to see both Cordle or Boothe starting center next year--I'd personally go with Alex Mack. Beatty, Boothe, Mack, (Mosley/FA?), Pugh would be a big step in the right direction. I'd love to have either Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson in the 2nd. Love Richardson's versatility, which might get him the go ahead, but I'd say I think Jackson is probably the better guard. I like the Pettigrew signing because he can block and Myers can't. Hopefully Robinson can be the answer in a year or two.

I'd also probably agree with your analysis with Eli, Coughlin, Gilbride. Gilbride has been terrible at adjusting to our offensive woes this season, but when we had the talent we did win 2 superbowls with him as our OC. It looks like Coughlin is not firing him either, and I doubt Reese will fire Coughlin or make him walk away. I agree that I think they will be back for another year. It's a sticky situation.

Also, I think you forgot about Hyno.
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good mock. The only flaw I could point out is you assuming Coughlin would even fathom a rookie being a starter on day 1. Randle would take over Nicks position and Watkins would get buried on the depth chart for 2 seasons behind Jernagin and get sporadic snaps, because we all know how TC handles rookies.

As far as the Coughlin, Gilbride, and Eli are intertwined angle I don't really agree. I think Eli is a smart enough QB that he could excel in a faster pace modern NFL offense like his brother runs. We all know how well he plays in the hurry up, the fact that Killdrive has never used this in any other time then the last 2 minutes of a half is asinine and we all know it. A modern OC with a faster pace offense is exactly what Eli needs. Take away all these crazy option routes except for Cruz. Let the other receivers win their one on one battles and watch Eli's turnovers get reduced by 30-40%. Coughlin can stay but Kildrive needs to go period.

Other then that I can't really criticize the picks because I am a novice when it comes to college talent. I only watch BC and a few other games a week. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Shock, I wouldn't sell Eli short on the offensive change. Both Rothlisberger and Rivers dealt with offensive changes last year and it can be argued that both are playing some of the best football of their careers.

The lack of change and adjustment is the most maddening aspect to the Gilbride and the offense. I get that there's no line. I get that guys are hurt. But if Trestman can make Josh McCown look like Tom Brady with that equally putrid line they have in Chicago, then Gilbride ought/needs to be able to make the appropriate adjustments as well.

Re: draft, as much as I want to, I can't get down with a wide receiver in the middle of the first round. don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean i'd dislike the pick, but i think we could grab a more essential piece to the longer-term puzzle (could Lewan be there?), though I suppose we could hope a Yankey or Koundjo or Erving falls to the second round.

Any thoughts on taking Mack (love that name/nickname- "here comes the Mack Attack" Laughing )? Beason or no, it'd be nice to have our next Patrick Willis type of player (physical, scheme flexible, cover guy who can get in the backfield).
mlv

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like most of this. Really good job. Just a couple of things:

I agree with everyone you said get rid of except TT. I'd like to keep him as the nickel CB/hybrid LB for relatively cheap, but if he wants big bucks, then yes, see ya.

I would dump a couple of guys on the keep list. I think Hillis is garbage, and he's also fumble-prone. Bring in a UDFA and let him battle it out with Cox. I guess I don't mind keeping Rivers around as a backup for veteran minimum, but a penny more than that is too much.

Signing a FA CB for big bucks scares the daylights out of me. I'd have to think Verner will command a contract north of $6MM AAV with his play this year. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Titans play a lot of man coverage (haven't watched them a lot this year since they are a fantasy football landmine), so I'm not too sure how Verner would fit our scheme.

I love Michael Johnson but I don't know if we would be able to afford him.

I won't speak on the draft since I've never watched anyone besides Watkins, but I'm beginning to think we cost ourselves a shot at him with the meaningless Lions win. The positions make a lot of sense, though, although I'd like to see us draft a center somewhere in there. Which brings me to my next point - I would feel very uncomfortable if we went into the season with Cordle as our starting center. He seems weak relative to other centers around the league.

Great job overall.
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Gilbride goes then i dont mind taking a WR in the first especially if Nicks goes. Wouldnt agree to it but i dont mind. If we do draft a WR in the first with Gilbride then our offense will be the same as is this year.

I dont agree with get rid of TT and Ross. TT has played beyond my expectations. Ross prior to getting injured was playing well.

Keep Tuck. Linval maybe hard to retain. Get rid of Snee, get rid of Bass. Diehl can go as well. Hillis can go as well. Myers can go but i dont think he was as bad some of you think.

Marshall Newhouse and Ja'Marcus Webb? No. Those guys are terrible. Especially the former.

Be Humble. Sit Down.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love for us to get Watkins, but I'm not sure he falls to us. Nicks has also changed course about wanting to stay and now is acting like he wants to finish his career in NYG. I wouldn't be opposed to a one or two year incentive laden deal.
And Tuck, he has been an absolute stud against the run. He's finally healthy and is playing great. I think you have to resign him. Not a huge deal, but a friendly 2-3 year deal would be nice. JPP is a question mark right now - he may or may not return to form. If he doesn't, and Tuck is gone - are you comfortable with Johnson, Kiwi, and Moore at DE, because I'm not.
I think Thomas stays, but Webster and Ross are done. Verner may be out of our price range, though. He's a solid CB and I'm not even sure TEN lets him walk.
I love the Pettigrew and Asomoah signings.

I would also like us to make a move for Maclin. I know he's coming off a major knee injury, but if he can get healthy, he will be worth it. We could do a deal like Nicks. Incentive laden. No harm-No Foul. Given that Watkins is probably out of our reach (especially if we beat Washington), having a receiver like Maclin would benefit this offense greatly.
Gmen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about keeping Tuck is that with his recent improvement, his price tag went up. After seeing him ineffective for so many years, I'm very hesitant to sign him for anything more than a 3 year 12 million dollar deal. And he can do better than that on the open market.

Terrell Thomas had one good week where we won the player of the week award, but other than that I haven't been impressed. He's not back to his old self, and I see him chasing on too many plays.

Verner will probably command even more than 6 million per year. But I think he's worth it. He just turned 25 years old, and already has 4 years of starting experience under his belt. He's a good, young, and smart player. We need a starter opposite of Prince, and he'll be worth the money.

The Newhouse and Webb signings look scary. But, two young players that have starting experience under their belts. Granted, they didn't look so great when they started, but that's why they're backups. It's better to have experience than going with a late round rookie.

I think Cyril Richardson has a much better build than Gabe Jackson. He's built like a Mike Iupati. Jackson is pudgy. Richardson may not be there for us in the second round. That's a bit optimistic of me.

Thanks for the responses, and I encourage everyone to take a look at this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dpvSqIAge4

scar988 wrote:
I'm of the belief the best QB in NY right now (July 2017) is Geno Smith.

SMH
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're Free Agency is like most fans of particular teams- Completely Unrealistic. Giants won't be big spenders this offseason because it's not the time. They'll look for value signings along the offensive front. Linval Joseph is gone, he'll command 5 Years 30 M in FA similar to Coefield, Hankins was drafted to be his replacement.
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
You're Free Agency is like most fans of particular teams- Completely Unrealistic. Giants won't be big spenders this offseason because it's not the time. They'll look for value signings along the offensive front. Linval Joseph is gone, he'll command 5 Years 30 M in FA similar to Coefield, Hankins was drafted to be his replacement.

You don't think a big FA acquisition is needed at our OL front? If it was only one spot that needed to be upgraded, then sure I understand your logic, but there's really only 1-2 starters that are decent starting. If we want cheap veterans then why don't we just resign Baas and Diehl? If we're not going to pay the big bucks to Nicks and Joseph then we need to do it elsewhere, and it shouldn't be anywhere else but at our awful OL. Knowing Coughlin, that should be addressed heavily before the draft. I agree there should be several affordable signings for competition/depth purposes, but having 3 mediocre players "blocking" in the interior of the OL, well you saw how that went this year. If there isn't a top dog F/A starting on our line next year, I will be overwhelmingly disappointed.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giants will look for value signings with upside, best football ahead. Some of these potential guys include Shelley Smith, Anthony Collins, Joe Hawley, Jason Fox, J'Marcus Webb. You can't throw money at overhauling offensive line, must be done financially conscious.

Point being, Giants aren't deeply ideological under Reese about avoiding players near 30 like rest of league but do not commit beyond 1 year to players nearing the threshold.
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, i think we should keep Hakeem and Tuck. Tuck inexplicably has looked awesome lately. He has 11 sacks which is a good number. And Tuck says he would like to finish his career in NY.

We must go OL at 12. We must. Unless Khalil Mack, who ive heard is a stud, is available then take him. But within the first 3 rounds, it must be spent on the OL.

Get a quality DL in free agency. Resign Jon Beason. The Secondary played the best it has in years.

Fire Gilbride. Keep Fewell - without our defense there's no way we win 7 games.

Be Humble. Sit Down.
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Honestly, i think we should keep Hakeem and Tuck. Tuck inexplicably has looked awesome lately. He has 11 sacks which is a good number. And Tuck says he would like to finish his career in NY.

We must go OL at 12. We must. Unless Khalil Mack, who ive heard is a stud, is available then take him. But within the first 3 rounds, it must be spent on the OL.

Get a quality DL in free agency. Resign Jon Beason. The Secondary played the best it has in years.

I agree with all of this.... except keeping Hakeem! Razz Very Happy
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

I agree with all of this.... except keeping Hakeem! Razz Very Happy

I want Hakeem to say because i see this year as an anomaly. It wasnt all his fault. He tried to avoid getting hurt, Eli rarely looked his direction. And when Eli did he misfired. Yesterday was a perfect example. Eli underthrew that deep ball. If he hit him in stride NIcks is going for 6. Eli's play has been horrific this year. If Gilbride keeps his job he'll need Nicks because hes gone the next season if he doesnt.

Jernigan actually has done something. But the dilemma is that both he and Cruz are slot WRs. Cruz is nowhere near as effective outside. Randle shows flashes. Next year we should see more.

In regards to our defense, can you believe that the Giants are the 8th ranked defense?

Be Humble. Sit Down.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:

I want Hakeem to say because i see this year as an anomaly. It wasnt all his fault.

Ok, so if this year was the anomaly then what was last year? Razz

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: