You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Roster Changes, Rumors, and Tweets !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetfan8178

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I want us to get Byrd badly!!!

They are definitely doing a great job of not letting anyone know we are after him if thats the case. Typically there is some talk about it in a situation like this, but its totally hush hush.

I think he would be a huge piece to making our D top 3 for the next several years straight.

Next thought, Kendrick Ellis...

Although I really like the kid and would rather keep him around the possibility of us moving him is there. Rather than a move for a draft pick is there anyone on one of these teams that need a solid DT we can straight up trade him for? Perhaps an OL player?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we go for Byrd, which I think will happen, we probably won't be investing much else into FA. I don't see Idzik making multiple splashes. Byrd is one of those rare opportunities where you can add an elite player to your team at a position where you desperately need it.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be pretty happy with free agency consisting mainly around Byrd and Sanders.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get Byrd, but still don't think we would give him a huge deal. I could see us maybe signing either Malcolm Jenkins or Chris Clemons though, either of them would be an upgrade IMO and won't break the bank.
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of players that might not break the bank, the idea of signing Hakeem Nicks is growing on me. Signing Sanders to a long term smallish deal (5 years; $25M) while signing Nicks to a short term prove it deal (1 year; $6M), would be the Jets hedging there own bets. I like it. I don't necessarily think this takes the Jets out of the WR market in the 1st round either. Imagine the luxury of not having to rely on a rookie wide out for production until year 2? Someone like Odell Beckham Jr. or Brandin Cooks would still be used as a returner, gadget player, in screens, in jet sweeps, etc. That's honestly a place I feel much more comfortable having them at. It also gives the Jets tremendous depth if Nicks plays poor or injuries occur.

Only issue with this idea is it could possibly push Kerley out the door, but that would mean we found a true #1 in Hakeem Nicks.

Last edited by BlaZeN37 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the idea of bringing in Nicks. Just depends on his price. I think with a couple down years, he could actually be a steal. Change of scenery is all it takes for some guys. Obviously he has talent, but he's a slight risk. But he does have the ability to be great, look at his 2010 and 2011 seasons.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000324258/article/offseason-forecast-new-york-jets

LOL especially the beginning

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaZeN37 wrote:
Speaking of players that might not break the bank, the idea of signing Hakeem Nicks is growing on me. Signing Sanders to a long term smallish deal (5 years; $25M) while signing Nicks to a short term prove it deal (1 year; $6M), would be the Jets hedging there own bets. I like it. I don't necessarily think this takes the Jets out of the WR market in the 1st round either. Imagine the luxury of not having to rely on a rookie wide out for production until year 2? Someone like Odell Beckham Jr. or Brandin Cooks would still be used as a returner, gadget player, in screens, in jet sweeps, etc. That's honestly a place I feel much more comfortable having them at. It also gives the Jets tremendous depth if Nicks plays poor or injuries occur.

Only issue with this idea is it could possibly push Kerley out the door, but that would mean we found a true #1 in Hakeem Nicks.

The problem with that scenario is if Nicks was inclined to go the one year route, it would be unlikely he'd choose the Jet's offense and Geno Smith to be the situation where he proved himself to the NFL. He'd much more likely choose NE, IND, DEN, etc.

He's 26, he's won a Superbowl ring serving as the number one receiver of his team. The Giant's offense clearly suffers without him in the lineup. He's had minor injuries the last two years, and some conflicts with his team heading into the last year of his contract.The Jets would have to pay him 8-10 million a year on a three year deal, with like 13 guaranteed within the first two. But when you think about, that wouldn't be much of a risk in terms of the long term cap strategy of the team, considering the situation they're at right now.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering his age and his ability, I wouldn't mind spending an extra couple million on him. He more than any other WR this free agency has a legit chance to be a real #1 WR. Ya it's a risk, but most #1 WRs would cost more as a 26yr old FA than he will cost bc if recent down seasons and minor nagging injuries.
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
The problem with that scenario is if Nicks was inclined to go the one year route, it would be unlikely he'd choose the Jet's offense and Geno Smith to be the situation where he proved himself to the NFL. He'd much more likely choose NE, IND, DEN, etc.

You'd think so, but then you break it down:

- Chances are Nicks grew tired of Coughlin's rigid coaching style, possibly longing for a players coach in the mold of Rex Ryan.

- Don't underestimate the fact that he wouldn't have to move if he signed with the Jets

- Nicks just signed with Jay-Z's agency Rocnation, same agency as Geno Smith. Doesn't prove anything, but would make you think he probably likes Geno and could see himself jump starting our offense.

- Maybe the Jets offer him a one year $8 million contract over other teams one year $6 million contracts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like Nicks, I personally don't want him because I question if his hearts still in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaZeN37 wrote:
Harris Smith wrote:

You'd think so, but then you break it down:

- Chances are Nicks grew tired of Coughlin's rigid coaching style, possibly longing for a players coach in the mold of Rex Ryan.

- Don't underestimate the fact that he wouldn't have to move if he signed with the Jets

- Nicks just signed with Jay-Z's agency Rocnation, same agency as Geno Smith. Doesn't prove anything, but would make you think he probably likes Geno and could see himself jump starting our offense.

- Maybe the Jets offer him a one year $8 million contract over other teams one year $6 million contracts

I'd hesitate to sign Nicks to a 2 year 8 million $ contract, much less a 1 year 8 million $ deal. I am always wary of guys that i have heard effort problems out of. I have no doubt he could be good if he wanted to be and stayed healthy. So in my opinion thats 2 strikes, i don't know if he wants ot be good, and i don't know if he can stay healthy.
Heymangold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think a team like NE or DEN would want Nicks. i'd sign him to a 1 yr deal, maybe 6 mill, half of what Welker got.

pair him with Sanders and a draft pick and it's looking solid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@Steiny31
I've learned the #Jets have serious interest in Bengals restricted free agent WR Andrew Hawkins, per source.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Bianconero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Quote:
@Steiny31
I've learned the #Jets have serious interest in Bengals restricted free agent WR Andrew Hawkins, per source.
Wow. I am mocking right now and I have us matching his original tender aka nada.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 69 of 100

Jump to: