You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BBall's Pre Free agency Mock Offseason

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: BBall's Pre Free agency Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Current Key Movements:
New Offensive Coordinator = New offensive Schemes = New players
Tenders:

Dallas Reynold (Will likely be going in as the Jim Cordle role of 2014)
Spencer Paysinger (great special team player, capable of stepping in on defense)

Current Cap:
~18 Million (per spotrac)

Now these moves will probably NOT happen but they are very realistic and give us almost double the amount of salary cap to play with.
Key Cuts (June 1st)
David Baas
Mathias Kiwinuaka
James Brewer
** These cuts will be made to sign all rookies in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Restructures/Extensions
Chris Snee:: Making over 11 million in 2014, Chris wil gladly take a dramatic paycut to remain a Giant. With 4 Million of his salary being guaranteed, I can see his new contract being worth that much. Still very good money for a player at his age. I consider Snee a player that bounces back in 2014.
Cap Savings: ~7 Million
Eli Manning: This is the year we need to resign him if we want him to retire a Giant. Coming off a poor season, and if he wants to stay Injury free for his career, he will take a solid paycut these next two years (by 2016, salary cap will be in the 150 million range, a massive increase.)
Current salary left: 2 years 40.15 million (2014 cap hit: 20.4 million)
New Salary: 5 years 66 million (2014 cap hit: 12.4 Million)
Cap Savings: ~8 Million

New 2014 Salary Cap:
~~33 Million

March 11th 2014: Start of Free agency
As of now, I do not think anyone will be resigned except for two players (read several reports of them trying for beason and tuck… yet nothing has happened… 99 percent of the time, the players and their agent think they are worth more than they are.) When going 7-9 and a team at a crossroad, you have to let the overpaid players walk and trim the excess fat.
Key Departures:

Linval Joseph 5 years 34 Million: Some team is gonna spend on a truly talented player. He is by far my favorite free agent
Justin Tuck 3 years 13 Million: Our great leader bails for a little bit more money. It’s sad but it is the business part of the game.
Hakeem Nicks 3 years 21 Million: Someone will pay him. Such huge upside, but I think 60 receptions-900 yards 3 tds per year will be his ceiling from here on out.
Stevie Brown 2 years 5.5 million: affordable but still only a one year wonder and with Will Hill on the roster, he actually is expendable
Andre Brown 1 year 1.5 million: A player that we all love for his hard work and dedication but always injured
Terrell Thomas 3 year 9 Million. Very solid but very unpredictable with his injuries. Good luck and can see him heading to San Diego.

Resigned:

Kevin Boothe: 3 years 7 Million: The only player we resign because he will attract very little on the open market. Above average… Like Beatty, needs the talent around him.
2014 cap hit: 2 Million

Jon Beason 4 year 19 million: The bright spot on defense last year. He rejuvenated his career. There are injury concerns but sometimes you have to gamble on a player who can take your defense ranked in the 20s and turn it into a top 10 ( yes I know, other things bring this into play… offense playing better, oppositions offenses)
2014 cap hit 4 million

Trumain Mcbride: a solid 3-4 paired with Hosely Hose..
2014 cap Hit: 1.5 Million

New Salary Cap: 25.5 Million

Top Free Agent Signings:

The key to this is not signing by name but by signing the player who will fit our new offensive scheme and fit our cover defense.

Andrew Quarless 3 year, 6 million deal: It’s not the sexy deal we want (Trust me, I want Ebron/Pettigrew/Finley) but he would complement AROB well. The big thing in 2014 is giving the younger players an opportunity. I would rather use from within and watch that player fail instead of them sitting on the bench for all these years (JJ…)

2014 Cap hit: 1.5 Million

Evan Dietrich Smith 5 year, 17 Million deal:
Affordable and our new center for Eli’s career. He is the second Packer following Mcadoo to New York and would fit into the new system. He excelled at center and can fill in at guard need be.

2014 Cap Hit: 3 Million

Lamar Houston 4 year 30 Million deal:
He’s the type of player that suits up day in and day out, has not hit his ceiling (getting better year in and year out), shifting schemes all the time in Oakland and STILL producing with no talent around him. He would play inside and out like Tuck did for many years. Pretty much shores up two positions in one talent.

2014 Cap Hit: 6 Million

Captain Munnerlyn 3 years 16 Million:
Under the radar type signing. That is because of how many good corners are available this free agency. He is smaller but plays bigger than what he is. We are not going to break the bank on a corner with Prince playing well ( why pay for two number 1’s?) He plays in the NFC south against some of the best offenses in the league and still graded out as the 11th best corner in the game. Still getting better.

2014 Cap Hit: 4 Million

Jon Asamoah 5 years 30 Million:
This is my go to pick up. We NEED him if we want Eli to stay alive next year. Still young and still getting better each year, one of the few 25 year olds to get better and better each year and producing positive grades. Can pass and run block. Got injured for a few weeks last year, 33 year old Geoff Schwartz stepped in and played better, causing him to be put on the back burner.

2014 Cap Hit 6 Million

Post Free agency Salary Cap: 5 Million roughly
2014 NFL Draft:
1:12: Trade Back with Arizona Cardinals (20 and 52) for pick 12
1:20: Anthony Barr, SLB, UCLA:
He’s falling and for no big reason. Some say he’s too raw, some say he will only fit into a 3-4. Those two contradict each other. Pair him up with Beason and Williams and we go from one of the worst linebacking corps to a top 10.
2:43: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandebilt:
He could end up being the best wide receiver in this very, very talented group. Jerry Rice’s cousin, most productive receiver in the SEC BY FAR, 6-3 4.4 speed. Why spend money on WR’s when they are a dime a dozen in recent drafts? Randle takes over Nicks role, Matthews into Randle’s role.

2:52: Gabe Jackson, OG, Miss St: very large yet very quick. Has quick feet for a 330 plus pound man. Compares to Larry Warford.

3:74: Kareem Martin, DE, UNC: The next great UNC defensive prospect, here’s who CBS ranks him with:
“COMPARES TO: Justin Tuck, New York Giants -The team that selects Martin hopes the UNC standout will show the same dedication towards improvement that Tuck has since earning a third round pick out of Notre Dame in 2005. Tuck has developed into a fine pass rusher for the Giants but his game remains reliant on his length and strength at the point of attack.”

4:109: Daniel Mccullers, NT, Tennessee: Very raw with only one college experience but he’s a GIANT at 6’8 350 pounds. He’s an iconic run stuffer for times when Hankins needs a break. He’s a work in process and will need time but I’d rather have him than a QB in the 4th round…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc2dzl2rE4I
watch him make a tackle down field around 2:20 mark

5:140: James Wilder JR., RB, FSU:
Very large frame running back with a high yard per carry (7.0 ypc and 8tds on 81 rushes). Buried on a heavy depth chart (Jacobs was in the same boat) Lots of tread left. Would complement Wilson well.

6:whateverpick: Joe Don Duncan, TE, Dixie St: Good size, Good measurables, small town prospect

DEPTH CHART:
Draft Picks: Red
Resignings: Green
Offseason Acquisitions: Blue

QB: Eli Manning, Ryan Nassib
RB: David Wilson, James Wilder Jr., Michael Cox
FB: John Connor
WR: Reuben Randle, Victor Cruz, Jerrell Jernigan, Jordan Matthews, Louis Murphy
TE: Andrew Quarless, Adrian Robinson, Bear Pascoe, Larry Donnell, Joe Don Duncan
OT: Will Beatty, Justin Pugh, Brandon Mosely
OG: Jon Asamoah, Kevin Boothe, Chris Snee, Gabe Jackson
Center: Evan Dietrich Smith, Dallas Reynold
DEFENSE:
DE: JPP, Lamar Houston, Damontre Moore, Kareem Martin
DT: Cullen Jenkins, Jonathan Hankins, Marcus Kuhn, Daniel McCullers
OLB: Jacquian Williams, Spencer Paysinger, Anthony Barr
MLB: Jon Beason, Mark Herzlich (vet min)
CB: Prince Amukamara, Captain Munnerlyn, Trumaine Mcbride, Jayron Hosely, Charles James
S: Antrel Rolle, Will Hill, Cooper Taylor
Specials: Josh Brown, Weatherford, Deossie
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how this could not be realistic. we bring in a back up running back (could be the next legarrette blount) a top WR for when Randle is ready to departure for big bucks, he's ready to step in, we bring in 6 new players on the trenches (EDS, Asamoah, jackson, houston will all be contributors... Martinand mccullers can contribute with time) a consistent number 2 At corner and a chance at a major hit at linebacker. He's ten times better than clint in the second round
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we lose Joseph why sign Houston. We need pass rushers not run stoppers. We are fine with Hankins and Jenkins as our starting DT plus a rookie. I also don't want to give big contracts to a player to be our starting DE with just a career high of 6 sacks

No to Captain Munnerlyn. Too small and too expensive. He will demand more money and years than what you give him.

Relying on just a 5th RB is very risky if Wilson can't come back
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0% chance wilson opens as a starter. We will bring someone in guaranteed. If there are 2 positions the giants stated that will be addressed in FA it's RB and OL. I'd love to see Tate in blue, but I'd be fine with a pair such as Starks/Brown or Brown/Moreno or Donald Brown.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
0% chance wilson opens as a starter. We will bring someone in guaranteed. If there are 2 positions the giants stated that will be addressed in FA it's RB and OL. I'd love to see Tate in blue, but I'd be fine with a pair such as Starks/Brown or Brown/Moreno or Donald Brown.

I would never say 0% chance:

Quote:
Sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter that David Wilson (neck surgery) is ahead of schedule and expected to be ready for training camp.
We're talking about spinal fusion surgery, so nothing is guaranteed and the Giants are merely "hopeful." But the reports coming out of New York (likely from Wilson's camp) just one month after the procedure continue to be glowing. ESPN New York previously reported Wilson has already begun weightlifting and working out, adding that there's no reason to believe the 22-year-old won't play in 2014. His Dynasty stock is back on the rise as a gifted natural runner with house-call upside on every carry. Andre Brown is a free agent. Feb 20 - 9:08 AM

Everyone is writing this kid off and for what? He played behind a terrible, aging offensive line last year and we had three other backs come in and not play any better.

Michael Cox is a young player in the making. With a year under his belt, you guys wouldn't want to see him out there?

I just dont think any of the free agent options are good options. Too injured (Moreno, Brown, Donald brown) or never lived up to their hype (Donald Brown) or never really produced (Starks) and Moreno being the top option, his contract year blew every other year out of the water
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
If we lose Joseph why sign Houston. We need pass rushers not run stoppers. We are fine with Hankins and Jenkins as our starting DT plus a rookie. I also don't want to give big contracts to a player to be our starting DE with just a career high of 6 sacks

Houston would definitely not be a replacement for Joseph, Hankins would step into that "Run stopping role" and Houston would more be like a better version of what they wanted Canty to be a few years back... except Houston has played and excelled in a 4-3 before and overall a better player than Canty was. Canty never really reached his potential in Dallas and that's why we brought him into a 4-3 DT role. It took him a year to finally be a contributor and he dealt with a lot of injuries. The good thing about Houston, is that he is never injured and has switched schemes several times in his career(good one Oakland) and still excelled.
With Jenkins being 33, and although he played good for us last year, he is getting old. He is not a Williams brother where it feels like theyve been playing for 17 damn years already lol

No to Captain Munnerlyn. Too small and too expensive. He will demand more money and years than what you give him.

With him being too small for playing on the outside, he has played corner most of the time in the slot. very comparable player to Tim Jennings of the Chicago Bears and a very comparable contract. We would have our Number one corner in Prince ( who will get paid #1 money so we cannot spend on players like Verner, Davis, Tarrell Brown just to be #2 corners)
and one of the best slot/dime/nickel package corners in the game.

With that scenario, we would have Mcbride at two for quite cheap and he played excellent last year, as well as Jayron to fill in when needed.

Relying on just a 5th RB is very risky if Wilson can't come back

Ive had a crush on him since I was in High school and watched his highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed6k-Ukx820

5A florida football and a five star recruit. Absolutely no tread which is good for big backs like him. If wilson if fine at training camp, I can see us going in with only a second option player like a James Starks. But running backs should never be taken earlier than the third round and you never pay running backs money. They are a dime a dozen (unless youre All Day)

Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld's Evan Silva believe Houston played lighter than his 300 listed weight
Quote:
Watching Lamarr Houston, no WAY is he 300 lbs as listed by #Raiders. Betting he played around 270-275 in '13. Light feet like 255-pounder.

He also reported to training camp last year at 280. I don't like paying big money to a player that not only would need to get back to his 300 listed weight but has a career high 6 sacks. That money can better be used elsewhere.

We don't need to sign a DT, we can draft 1 and be good with Hankins, Jenkins, and rookie
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Rotoworld's Evan Silva believe Houston played lighter than his 300 listed weight
Quote:
Watching Lamarr Houston, no WAY is he 300 lbs as listed by #Raiders. Betting he played around 270-275 in '13. Light feet like 255-pounder.

He also reported to training camp last year at 280. I don't like paying big money to a player that not only would need to get back to his 300 listed weight but has a career high 6 sacks. That money can better be used elsewhere.

We don't need to sign a DT, we can draft 1 and be good with Hankins, Jenkins, and rookie

even better, he will be our defensive end next year Smile
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
Quote:

Ok, so he is not a replacement for what Canty was supposed to be but for Tuck.

Even worse to pay big money to a starting DE with a career high 6 sacks. Run stopping is not our problem, pass rushing is
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
bballbkd1001 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
Quote:

Ok, so he is not a replacement for what Canty was supposed to be but for Tuck.

Even worse to pay big money to a starting DE with a career high 6 sacks. Run stopping is not our problem, pass rushing is

run stopping will be an issue if we are gonna plug in hankins, a whopping 130 or so snaps in 2013. That is a small sample size and we dont even know if he can be productive for an entire game.

Jenkins is 33 years old. The most he has left is one more year.

Lamarr Houston... despite only 6 sacks last year, had 41 qb hurries, tied with Cameron Wake.

http://espn.go.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/2931/houston-a-must-sign-free-agent-for-oakland

six million is not much for a defensive end. Justin Tuck, at 31, will be commanding 6 million annually. There will be 17 4-3 defensive ends making more money annually

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=43DE

Players like Hardy would have gotten over 12 million, bennett and johnson each would get 7-9 million annually... so he would be the 20th highest paid 4-3 defensive end. this is not including 3-4 defensive ends and DT's
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a lot of money to spend on a DE/DT tweener when we have 100 other needs.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
It is a lot of money to spend on a DE/DT tweener when we have 100 other needs.

it's possible tho. We obviously wouldn't sign a player like him unless snee and eli take massive paycuts.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: