You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bigblueben's Mock Offseason

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigblueben

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Bigblueben's Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Hey guys. I was planning on waiting for free agency to settle before making my mock this year, but damn it I need my Giants fix so I’ve gone for an early one. So let’s get to it!

Release

Hakeem Nicks – This one shouldn’t be much of a surprise. He wants to get paid, and we aren’t going to pay him. Good luck Hakeem, enjoy Carolina.
Louis Murphy III – Not what we had hoped for, or even optimistically wanted.
Brandon Myers – Just didn’t work from the off. The Garbage Time King is one-and-done.
Shaun Rogers – I liked him as depth last season, but he’s just too injured now.
Keith Rivers – One we had high hopes for, but just didn’t work out.
Corey Webster – It’s his time. Best of luck in free agency!
Aaron Ross – Was half decent depth, but I don’t think he offers much.
Mathias Kiwanuka – Tricky one to make, but I just don’t think he has shown enough to earn his money. We take a cap hit, but I think this needs to be done.
Terrell Thomas – Ultimately I would like him back but I think he goes chasing as much money as he can with those ticking time bomb knees.
David Baas – Another cap hit, but this one was easier to make. Decent when healthy, but never healthy.
Andre Brown – Just too many injuries to keep around.
Bear Pascoe – Jack of a few trades, master of none. A blue collar guy, but I think we have his ready made replacement.

Re-Sign

Justin Tuck – Keep him home. An impressive 2013 should hopefully result in him staying here.
Peyton Hillis – Impressed me with his hard running last year. Let’s give him another year in blue.
Stevie Brown – A ballhawk who we should look to get on an incentivised contract and make sure he holds up.
Henry Hynoski – Yeah, I’m going with two fullbacks. I’d put Hyno in the ‘Pascoe role’.
Kevin Boothe – A good backup and a decent starter in a pinch.
Linval Joseph – We pay the man, but not the huge sums that are being quoted. I think Linval is an underrated part of our defence.
Mike Patterson – A solid contributor to the rotation who shouldn’t cost too much.
Jon Beason – Let’s see if he really does want to stay in New York. Beason isn’t going to offer much in coverage, but you can’t argue with his impact since coming in.
Trumaine McBride – Played well when called upon and deserves to get a decent deal.
Josh Brown – A solid, reliable kicker. Enough said. Bonus points for having appeared in Jackass 3.

Restructure

Antrel Rolle – This could come back to bite us, but we need to keep Rolle around. Right now he is too costly to keep, but too valuable to lose. Let’s find that middle ground!
Chris Snee – Has $4m guaranteed whatever happens, but I think we drop his additional salary from around $7m to the veteran minimum.

Free Agency Signings

Tarell Brown (CB, San Francisco 49ers)

Alterraun Verner would be the dream here, but he is going to command a lot of money. Brown is unspectacular, but he goes about his business in a very solid and dependable fashion.

Evan Dietrich-Smith (C, Green Bay Packers)

Tough, dependable centre who knows our OC and would make our line better. This one just makes sense.

Jon Asamoah (OG, Kansas City Chiefs)

A young, talented player who could be on his way out as the Chiefs go with other options. Their loss is Eli’s gain.

Rashad Jennings (RB, Oakland Raiders)

Not the flashiest, but a solid starter who can perform in the pass game. After backing up MJD for so long he hasn’t got a ton of miles on the clock.

Jonathan Casillas (OLB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

An impressive athlete who struggled with injuries and has so far flown relatively low under the radar. Should be available for relatively cheap.

Mario Manningham (WR, San Francisco 49ers)

Bring Mario home on a cheap deal to offer some depth at receiver.

Draft
Note – I have us picking up a 6th and 7th round compensatory pick.

Round 1 – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

An absolute physical specimen who would give Eli the kind of target he hasn’t had since Plaxico. Watching the film, the thing that stands out most is how often Evans bailed out Johnny Manziel. He is very impressive in traffic and can also beat teams deep. With Eli’s tendency to throw high at times, let’s give him someone who can get up and make tough catches.

Round 2 – Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

Another toy for Eli as we look to make our offense better. ASJ is just below the top two TE’s – Eric Ebron and Jace Amaro – mostly due to the lack of top end speed. That said, he is a big target with solid hands and excellent body control. He also comes with the added bonus of being an above-average blocker which definitely gets him a tick from Tom Coughlin. He needs to get a little more physical with that frame, but he is a great weapon to pair up with Evans.

Round 3 – Shayne Skov, MLB, Stanford

We take a brief trip over to the defensive side of the ball. I see Skov in a similar mould to Jon Beason – a force to be reckoned with in the run game, but not so impactful when it comes to coverage in the pass game. Skov combines excellent physicality with great instincts, as well as good block-shedding ability. He isn’t going to cover the slot very well, which could limit him to a two-down role, but he would be a valuable contributor both filling in for Beason and on special teams.

Round 4 – James Hurst, OT, North Carolina

Hurst offers a nice combination of size and athleticism that should give him a solid footing when he steps up to the NFL. He is a smart player who displays good instincts in space. His main drawback is his preference of athleticism over technique – he is going to need to polish up a little to make an impact in the big leagues. That said, he can become a nice piece and a potential starter down the road.

Round 5 – Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech

This one is a bit of a gamble after an injury filled senior season for Exum. He suffered a torn ACL, followed by a sprained ankle, which limited him to just three games. However, he is impressive physically, combining good size with decent speed and a smooth backpedal. He stands at 6’ tall, and combines that with explosive leaping ability which gives him great jump-ball ability. He has struggled when not facing the quarterback, losing track of the ball and getting himself out of position. However, he is a smart kid (working on a second degree) and a tough special teams contributor which means we pull the trigger here.

Round 6a – Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida

When I get to the back end of the draft, I am looking for upside. Lynch has several negatives – technically he needs a lot of work, and he looked to take plays off as well as cutting plays short. That said, let’s look at the positives. He is a freakish athlete, with an excellent burst for a 6’6 250-pounder. When he gets going, it is tough to stop him. Let’s get him NFL-level conditioning and see what the boy can do.

Round 6b – AC Leonard, TE, Tennessee State

Another tight end for Mr McAdoo! He says he loves to coach them, so let’s let him at it. Leonard may well go higher than this after his 4.5 40-yard dash at the Combine, but in reality he hasn’t shown enough to be considered anything but a marginal prospect (I’m really selling this eh?). He’s a one-dimensional catching tight end, and at 6’2 isn’t even close to Mike Evans in stature, but he showed enough explosiveness to be considered a project. Bring him in and see if he can beat out Larry Donnell for that third tight end spot.

Round 7 – Zach Fulton, OG, Tennessee

An unspectacular pick, and one that could slide under the radar as the draft process finishes, but Fulton is a nice player to pick up late and see what you can get out of him. He started 38 games at Tennessee and showed impressive drive and power. He’s not quick and he’s not going to offer much at the second level, but he could be moulded into an effective mauler for use further down the line.

Depth Chart

QB – Eli Manning / Ryan Nassib
RB – Rashad Jennings / David Wilson / Michael Cox / Peyton Hillis
FB – John Connor / Henry Hynoski
TE – Austin Seferian-Jenkins / Adrien Robinson / AC Leonard / Larry Donnell
WR – Victor Cruz / Mike Evans / Rueben Randle / Jerrel Jernigan / Mario Manningham
OT – Will Beatty / Justin Pugh / James Hurst / James Brewer
OG – Jon Asamoah / Brandon Mosley / Kevin Boothe / Chris Snee / Zach Fulton
C – Evan Dietrich-Smith / Jim Cordle
DT – Linval Joseph / Jonathan Hankins / Cullen Jenkins / Mike Patterson / Markus Kuhn
DE – Jason Pierre-Paul / Justin Tuck / Damontre Moore / Aaron Lynch
MLB – Jon Beason / Shayne Skov
OLB – Jacquain Williams / Jonathan Casillas / Spencer Paysinger
CB – Prince Amukamara / Tarell Brown / Trumaine McBride / Jayron Hosley / Antone Exum
S – Antrel Rolle / Will Hill / Stevie Brown / Cooper Taylor
K – Josh Brown
P – Steve Weatherford
LS – Zak DeOssie

New Signing
Rookie

Roster Notes

Ryan Nassib simply has to win the backup QB role
Let’s get Wilson 10-12 touches a game and give him return duties
We are a little thin at linebacker, but I would like to see some 4-2-5 sets with PF breaking out three safeties. And who knows what we have in Taylor at the moment, but he seems athletic enough to offer something in coverage.
This roster is one over the limit at 54. If I was pushed to choose a final 53, I think Donnell is the man who misses out.

Whew, deep breath. Let me know what you think guys. Let’s go Big Blue!

mad props to Rase on the sig
dkebones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few comments:

- not sure why you want to let Andre Brown go. he's easily the best option in the backfield that we have.

- I would like to see what Louis Murphy could do in a different offense (though admittedly i'm biased as a UF fan). i think most everyone agrees that no wide receiver learns the Gilbride offense in a year.

- Mario Manningham. Do. NOT. Want.

- I don't think you can not address the DE position in FA or the draft. Even bringing Tuck back is only a stopgap. Unless Moore put on some serious mass this offseason, I don't know that he makes it as a 4-3 DE.
bigblueben

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback dke.

Andre Brown was a last minute decision. I thought he did well, but those injuries are a big concern. It basically came down to Brown or Jennings, and whilst Jennings will cost more, I think he would be more effective and doesn't have too much wear and tear.

I get you with Murphy, I just haven't seen enough to want to keep him around. I'd be interested to see what the back office and coaching staff think of him this offseason. If they think he can offer something then there is your Manningham replacement!

I did pick up Lynch in the 6th at DE, not exactly a huge piece but a DE nonetheless! I think Tuck could be more than a stopgap, and yeah I'm hoping that Moore steps up and adds to the rotation. You could add Jenkins in on a rotational basis on the outside as well.

NYGCRUZ80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it not too bad
My only comment is draft an OLB over an ILB around round 3-4 and maybe sign a cheap veteran to play backup MLB
Gmen1985

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the offseason as a whole. I think that we hit on needs in free agency that go BPA in the draft. I will be very disapointed in the Gmen if Mike Evans is there and they don't select him. Also love going TE in the second round as I believe that the pick hits on both value on need. Aaron Lynch is guy I would love the Gmen to target. Being a ND fan, I saw what this guy looked like as a true freshman. He was a much better prospect that Tuitt.

I'm not crazy about signing Manningham either. I think we go into the draft with Randle and Cruz and hope that one of our first targets in the draft is a WR and go with those 3 into the season. Other than that the other free agent signing look good.

Thanks to Rase for the sig!
bigblueben

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys.

I did think about going OLB in the draft, but Skov just fell right into place and I think it's about time we spent a decent draft pick on a linebacker!

Mario ain't getting much love around here! I just felt like we needed that 5th man behind Cruz, Randle, JJ and Evans, and went for someone familiar with the team. Mind you, with the changes coming up on offence, maybe I should have been looking for a little more WCO experience

WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer for us to keep Brown and not sign Jennings just because I think it will be cheaper.

I like the Mike Evans draft pick (IF) we do get Asomah, EDS, Casillas in FA.

If we did, then I would take Mike in the first, Gabe Jackson or Yankey in the second, with Skov in the third.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: