Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft and Cap thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
RHS Ocho Cinco wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Question for everyone. You are a new franchise trying to fill out your roster. What Free Agent would you go after and who would you take with the first overall pick?

I'm taking Johnny Manziel. As a new franchise, I need someone to sell jerseys and market my team. Johnny Friggin Football.

You'd sell jerseys but never win any games. Manziel is not suited to be an NFL QB. Not by any stretch of the imagination. He's a 5th round talent at best who will be thrust into the 1st round because of his hype. The guy can't play.

I believe he is a 2nd round guy who would have to sit for a while and relearn the game of football and learn to stay in the pocket not just running around like the NFL is his backyard.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
RHS Ocho Cinco wrote:
JWingate wrote:
Question for everyone. You are a new franchise trying to fill out your roster. What Free Agent would you go after and who would you take with the first overall pick?

I'm taking Johnny Manziel. As a new franchise, I need someone to sell jerseys and market my team. Johnny Friggin Football.

You'd sell jerseys but never win any games. Manziel is not suited to be an NFL QB. Not by any stretch of the imagination. He's a 5th round talent at best who will be thrust into the 1st round because of his hype. The guy can't play.

I believe he is a 2nd round guy who would have to sit for a while and relearn the game of football and learn to stay in the pocket not just running around like the NFL is his backyard.

Relearning the position at the NFL level doesn't scream "2nd round pick" to me. That screams "Stay the hell away from this guy".

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
RHS Ocho Cinco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
RHS Ocho Cinco wrote:
JWingate wrote:

A fifth round talent at best?? I understand people who question him being a high first-round guy, but trying to place him in the fifth round is just silly. I know hype can shift the value of a player a bit. But don't tell me that fans and media loving players will cause a team to draft someone with 5th round talent in the top 10 picks. The dude can play. Maybe he's a bust, and I'll have to come eat crow, but I truly believe he's a player, and will be the best QB in this class.
JWingate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
RHS Ocho Cinco wrote:
JWingate wrote:

Relearning the position at the NFL level doesn't scream "2nd round pick" to me. That screams "Stay the hell away from this guy".

I agree, he would be completely off my board if I was scouting for an actual NFL team. I have him basically as a 2nd round player because he has potential and he is a dynamic athlete. Again, I would not draft Johnny Manziel. I would take him undrafted if I had the chance but other than that I would not take him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RHS Ocho Cinco wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
RHS Ocho Cinco wrote:
JWingate wrote:

A fifth round talent at best?? I understand people who question him being a high first-round guy, but trying to place him in the fifth round is just silly. I know hype can shift the value of a player a bit. But don't tell me that fans and media loving players will cause a team to draft someone with 5th round talent in the top 10 picks. The dude can play. Maybe he's a bust, and I'll have to come eat crow, but I truly believe he's a player, and will be the best QB in this class.

I believe this Quarterback class is awful. I believe the need of QB is so high it is pushing these players even higher. I have Derek Carr rated as my best Quarterback.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
RHS Ocho Cinco wrote:
JWingate wrote:

I disagree that he's going to need to relearn the position. Can he learn a few things and grow as an NFL quarterback? Yes, much like every other rookie and QB in the NFL.

When people point to the fact that he just runs around to make plays, I like to go to the 2012 Bama game. The dude ran all over them first half. After half-time, Saban decides to shut that down, and Manziel is forced to throw. And what does he do? He shreds the "holy" Bama defense through the air.

Now, I know playing against NFL defenses will be a whole new challenge, but it drives me crazy that people seem to hold Johnny to a standard that they don't hold the other QB's to.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take Manziel in the late 2nd round and let him sit for a couple of seasons. Not to "relearn the game", but just to adjust himself to the NFL. He has too much natural talent to pass up at that point. But otherwise, I'll pass.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I would take Manziel in the late 2nd round and let him sit for a couple of seasons. Not to "relearn the game", but just to adjust himself to the NFL. He has too much natural talent to pass up at that point. But otherwise, I'll pass.

So. If he falls to 16 - you pass on him?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Personally, yeah. Mainly because there has never really been a player with his particular set of skills in the NFL. I just don't know how they are going to translate, and I'm not going to pretend I can predict the future. If he is sitting there at 47 (which he won't be), I would take a long look at him, and probably pull the trigger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Personally, yeah. Mainly because there has never really been a player with his particular set of skills in the NFL. I just don't know how they are going to translate, and I'm not going to pretend I can predict the future. If he is sitting there at 47 (which he won't be), I would take a long look at him, and probably pull the trigger

Maybe you never saw Mike Vick when he was at VaTech. He was Manziel, only better at everything.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTB posted this potential offseason on their twitter:

FA Henry Melton
1) Zach Martin
2) Scott Crichton

I would sign up for that right now.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
BTB posted this potential offseason on their twitter:

FA Henry Melton
1) Zach Martin
2) Scott Crichton

I would sign up for that right now.

That would not suck.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Manziel...

You could have said the exact same things about Steve Young. Talented athlete that doesn't quite fit the bill of a modern, common style QB. Decision making and maturity are head shakers. Accuracy is sometimes questionable.

But all those extra things he brings to the table, just like Steve Young, make him a thrilling prospect.

I think if you give him time to learn from a good coach, study a system, and refine his decision making, he, just like Young did in the same situation, can be a winner in this league. His accuracy is not that horrendous, he possesses raw skills that can wow you every game, and he has that winning drive. Give 'em time and he could really be something. If he slides to 15, 20, somewhere in that Aaron Rodgers area...don't be shocked if you see some team who ISNT in need of a QB right now, even this team, trade up to secure him for the future.

But, chances are, he'll be drafted high, thrust into the fold too quickly, never learn, never get to study a system, and be a total bust. Just like what would have happened with Young. And likely with Rodgers too - he was similar, winner's mentality, but accuracy doubts, raw abilities and odd decision making made him slip. He got to sit, study, learn...and became one of the guys most consider one of the elite.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
In regards to Manziel...

You could have said the exact same things about Steve Young. Talented athlete that doesn't quite fit the bill of a modern, common style QB. Decision making and maturity are head shakers. Accuracy is sometimes questionable.

But all those extra things he brings to the table, just like Steve Young, make him a thrilling prospect.

I think if you give him time to learn from a good coach, study a system, and refine his decision making, he, just like Young did in the same situation, can be a winner in this league. His accuracy is not that horrendous, he possesses raw skills that can wow you every game, and he has that winning drive. Give 'em time and he could really be something. If he slides to 15, 20, somewhere in that Aaron Rodgers area...don't be shocked if you see some team who ISNT in need of a QB right now, even this team, trade up to secure him for the future.

But, chances are, he'll be drafted high, thrust into the fold too quickly, never learn, never get to study a system, and be a total bust. Just like what would have happened with Young. And likely with Rodgers too - he was similar, winner's mentality, but accuracy doubts, raw abilities and odd decision making made him slip. He got to sit, study, learn...and became one of the guys most consider one of the elite.

Just to add a lil about the Steve Young thing. BYU also ran the same system as A&M runs right now. Just saying. I'm just saying. I've seen some of you who always bring up JF doesn't play in an NFL system.

I don't think he will amount to a HoF QB but the kid can play. He can't play the same way he did in college, he won't last doing that. If drafted to the right situation how Wilson was he can be serviceable. The right situation being the Texans in round 2 or trading up into the tail end of round one if he falls. Draft Clowney to go along with Watt. They have a good run game and JF can kill em with the play action. Houston also runs a lot of roll outs which plays into his strengths.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy_z34 wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
In regards to Manziel...

Just to add a lil about the Steve Young thing. BYU also ran the same system as A&M runs right now. Just saying. I'm just saying. I've seen some of you who always bring up JF doesn't play in an NFL system.

I don't think he will amount to a HoF QB but the kid can play. He can't play the same way he did in college, he won't last doing that. If drafted to the right situation how Wilson was he can be serviceable. The right situation being the Texans in round 2 or trading up into the tail end of round one if he falls. Draft Clowney to go along with Watt. They have a good run game and JF can kill em with the play action. Houston also runs a lot of roll outs which plays into his strengths.

All this same stuff was said about Young. Dont' play an NFL system, can't play that same way in the NFL, will never be a star, too raw, too inaccurate, too immature, etc.

Yet now he has a yellow jacket to go along with his gold ring.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 32 of 68

Jump to: