Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which 2015 UFA would you FIRST try to extend?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bigger priority:
James Smith (offense)
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
James Smith (defense)
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 12

wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Which 2015 UFA would you FIRST try to extend? Reply with quote

Consider quality of player, importance to team, how much he would cost now, how much you think his value could go up in the next year, and how difficult they would be to retain in UFA the following year.

OR

Nucky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Tough call, I like WR Smith but by the way CB Smith has been playing it looks like he could be special. Depends how it goes next year but at this very second I'd go Jimmy. Torrey will be a good player but sometimes he tends to disappear in games. I think he will benefit from a better, more physical receiver opposite side of him.
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy. Only because, I feel like they might just be able to get him signed before he's recognised as one of the top Corners in the league. He still seems humble enough, and pleased enough with his progress after a couple of troubled years, that he might still prioritise his development over his contract.

Torrey will get paid, no doubt about it. He knows how good he is, and he knows how important he should be to this team.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Jimmy. Only because, I feel like they might just be able to get him signed before he's recognised as one of the top Corners in the league. He still seems humble enough, and pleased enough with his progress after a couple of troubled years, that he might still prioritise his development over his contract.

Torrey will get paid, no doubt about it. He knows how good he is, and he knows how important he should be to this team.

Honestly, I don't think I'd offer Torrey more than Antonio Brown + inflation. And I'm pretty sure Rosenhaus is well aware of how dominant Jimmy looked the second half of this year.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one consideration I didn't see mentioned is that we have one additional year of team control on Jimmy (#22). We have the psuedo-franchise tag option available to first rounders under the new CBA that we can exercise. I assume we can still use the franchise tag thereafter in the same manner as it always has been used, but I'm not 100% sure on that front. I guess that doesn't really argue either way because that could mean he would be easier/more incentive to extend or it could mean that it's not as much of a priority however you want to look at it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God if we overpay for Torrey Smith...
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Smith, no question.

A good deep threat receiver can just as easily be found through the draft, new ones pop up on different teams every year. No reason to tie up significant cap money on Torrey.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.10.E wrote:

Not something I'm terribly worried about with Ozzie.

Also, I think Torrey looks way better with a guy like turner calling the plays.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
M.10.E wrote:

Not something I'm terribly worried about with Ozzie.

Also, I think Torrey looks way better with a guy like turner calling the plays.

Keep in mind his scheme is similar to Cameron's. Honestly my preference would be somebody with a system that used more west coast principles.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Torrey Smith hate is honestly ridiculous. Apparently he's only a deep threat. Not like he didn't execute on other routes when given the chance earlier this season. I guess people on here have a short memory. Boldin never eclipsed 1000 yards in this same scheme. Torrey on the other hand did eclipse that mark. So if Boldin leaves and finally does it, perhaps Smith leaving and playing under competent offensive coaches who can scheme him open as well, would have him looking like a surefire top 15 level WR.

And Sp makes the best point here. Lock up Smith to an extension before a guy like Norv comes and he puts up sick stats. Right now we could probably lock him up for about $6-7m. Torrey is a hard worker and a leader on this team, I trust him to take care of business no matter the early contract.

Jimmy has had issues in the past with getting himself into top form and has had durability and concussion concerns. He's going to ask for a lot anyways. I'd rather not make another Webb like mistake. I like Smith as much as anyone, but he needs to prove he can cover more than just tall receivers to get a big time contract, which Rosenhouse (sp) will inevitably ask for anyway.

We hold his rights for at the very least another two years and that's ample time to prepare a replacement or to notice his worth. At best I'd broach Smith on the subject and see his price, but I wouldn't expect anything to come of it.

Its also smarter to keep one of Flacco's biggest weapons locked up, since this team will inevitably go as Flacco goes. Torrey just makes more sense to lock up on multiple levels.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Vote! I'm the only one who voted Torrey so far.

I think Jimmy seems to be trending towards being a better player, but Torrey would be the smarter and possibly cheaper choice to lock down right now.
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm saying sounds like hate, but my opinion of Torrey is just more in line with most people's outside of Ravens' fans. We run an offense that loves to throw deep, this plays to Torey's strengths, where else would he possibly put up better numbers than here?

He doesn't have great hands, he doesn't make people miss or break tackles... so if the throw and catch isn't executed seamlessly and he can't sprint by the defender there is no YAC. Is the field shorter than 20 yards? Torrey Smith isn't even a factor.

He's a poor man's Mike Wallace, who Pittsburgh was wise to let go.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
Is the field shorter than 20 yards? Torrey Smith isn't even a factor.

Well, that's just not true. He is a very good red zone threat with his short distance burst and outstanding vertical. He racked up those TD's his first few years. His 4-TD (plus 1 2pt catch) season was a fluke; kind of how Megatron had a couple 5 TD seasons.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
What I'm saying sounds like hate, but my opinion of Torrey is just more in line with most people's outside of Ravens' fans. We run an offense that loves to throw deep, this plays to Torey's strengths, where else would he possibly put up better numbers than here?

He doesn't have great hands, he doesn't make people miss or break tackles... so if the throw and catch isn't executed seamlessly and he can't sprint by the defender there is no YAC. Is the field shorter than 20 yards? Torrey Smith isn't even a factor.

He's a poor man's Mike Wallace, who Pittsburgh was wise to let go.

I actually think the Mike Wallace comparisons are quite lazy. He has slightly better size than Wallace and has clearly better vertical skills IMO (jumping, catching airborne in traffic, body control in the air, etc.), but not as fast and I'm not really sure on hands (could be severely one way or the other, or even, I honestly don't know). I think Torrey has proven to be a contributing member of this team, and I think his opportunities were severely hindered and his production waned as the season went on as teams realized they didn't need to respect our run game (especially damaging to deep threats on teams with poor Olines).

Further, for those saying it's easier to go find a deep threat WR than an impact CB, what in the Ravens drafting history leads you to believe that? Ozzie has drafted Duane Starks, Chris McAlister, Gary Baxter, Lardarius Webb and Jimmy Smith. In terms of WRs he's drafted Torrey Smith and... Brandon Stokley. Maybe you say "well that's not fair; Starks, McAlister and J. Smith were all 1st round picks!" Fair point, but so were Travis Taylor and Mark Clayton, and Patrick Johnson was a 2nd rounder with Davard Darling and Yamon Figurs coming right behind as 3rd round picks. Maybe in theory drafting WRs is easier, but that has been the one true black mark on the Wizard of Oz's draft history.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our most productive WRs were... free agents. Qadry Ismail, Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: